OT - For the older crew on the board

9 hours ago, Corn said:

Is this thread again about the older generation bashing the younger generation.

Glorifying themselves while they did a lousy job I guess.

I guess rather than a retort like this ..sans any countering argument ... you could list our the things GenZ is doing better at.

- i think we were all reliving our childhood in this thread ... nothing really more.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

what does the day you were actually born have to do with it? anyway it's my opinion, feel free to have your own

I had to Google Gen X ..... Gen X is born 1965 to 1980.     I don't see anything difficult in those years that would justify a generation to say they had it more difficult than say my generation say 1955 to 1964.  I am not a believer in that stuff per se.

8 hours ago, Dcat said:

I nearly drowned in the fairview pool whe I was about 9.  Later, when I got my drivers license, we used to zip around past the mobil gas station and GCP entrance on that service road and get high, get laid whatever ....  fun times.

That Mobile gas station was well known to all the kids. It had a candy machine inside.  How did you almost drown at Fairview? There were so many lifeguards  there

8 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I had to Google Gen X ..... Gen X is born 1965 to 1980.     I don't see anything difficult in those years that would justify a generation to say they had it more difficult than say my generation say 1955 to 1964.  I am not a believer in that stuff per se.

This was supposed to be more of a fun topic than a serious one. Not sure why you're taking it so seriously and then saying you don't care 

But to have the serious conversation about this would require arguing topics I'd rather not get into on a football forum with random people

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, neckdemon said:

This was supposed to be more of a fun topic than a serious one. Not sure why you're taking it so seriously and then saying you don't care 

But to have the serious conversation about this would require arguing topics I'd rather not get into on a football forum with random people

Me too, thought we were just reminiscing. It’s was fun while it lasted.,

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Corn said:

Okay thanks I guess.Just seems like the society  a complete collapse.When the mental illness is skyrocketing  along with child abuse and crime,

I just don't find it entertaining from the work we did.

Social media is going to end humanity, its pretty much already started, we are much closer to the end than the beginning

• Upvote 2

Older generations complaining about younger generations is as a tale as old as time. You can read books written 50 years ago with people whinging about how the young people are doing nothing but watch TV. The idea that generations are just suddenly being born lazy is hilarious. 

None of you old bitches would have been immune to the social changes that our generations had forced on us. We millennials were basically the guinea pigs for the insanity that is social media, we entered the job market after the most serious financial crisis since the Great Depression and were left with the knowledge that even if we did everything right we'd likely end up saddled in debt that we may live with for the rest of our lives. 

A lack of opportunities, particularly as it relates to home ownership, a lack of any meaning or purpose with the declining influence of religion and the fracturing of communities for a variety of reasons - You combine that with an easier means to escape into alternative realities, be it on your phone, internet, playstation...whatever and yeah this is the sort of sh*t you'll see. Of course everyone's losing their f*cking minds. It's the well adjusted people I worry about. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Don't even. I owned that game!! Had all three top scores at Tony's pizzeria, the guy literally hired me to help make pizza dough eventually and cleaning up I hung out there so much.  I cut grass with an old fashion spinning blade manual mower, minute I got my money I ran there, Two slices one Blueboy can of soda for $2.00, rest of the money went into defender and foosball, I  was a veritable Foosball and Defender GOD!!!!!!  

I cannot possibly imagine you ever having worked in the food industry in any capacity.

You?  Making food?  For OTHER people to consume?  B*tch please.  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I cannot possibly imagine you ever having worked in the food industry in any capacity.

You?  Making food?  For OTHER people to consume?  B*tch please.  

Read what I typed. I made dough and cleaned up. I never earned the trust to go near the pizza or the toppings. Haha 

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Matt39 said:

There were weight classes in pee wee. If you were over a certain weight you couldn’t carry the ball. If you were over the linemen weight you could only have 1 on the field at a time. The players who were above that weight had an X duct taped to their helmet. 

20 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Haha, Don’t remember that. I was mostly there for  the free Hot Chocolate and Hot dog after the game  anyways, 

^^^ Never questioned why he had 12 X’s on his helmet 

• Haha 1

Generations are actually given too long a time frame. I'm Gen X but I am younger Gen X (1975). I don't relate as well to Gen X born in the beginning who are closer in mindset to boomers as I do to older millennial who I can much more easily relate to. There's a crossover between the younger of a previous generation and the older of the next generation. Younger generation X are closer in mindset to older millennials. 

Take @Irish Jet post. He says he entered the job market after the recession of 2008. He must be the tail end of millennial and therefore would have much more in common with Gen z than older millennial who were born in the early 80s and would have been working for around a decade before that recession. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Like that would stop you!  Dough’s got calories too.

True, but if I cleaned and made dough like a nice boy I got to take home whatever was left of the last pizza he made for slices. My parents always asked,” why you never bring home pizza?” Place was small, literally the old guy who owned it and his wife with either his or her sister. 

17 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

Generations are actually given too long a time frame. I'm Gen X but I am younger Gen X (1975). I don't relate as well to Gen X born in the beginning who are closer in mindset to boomers as I do to older millennial who I can much more easily relate to. There's a crossover between the younger of a previous generation and the older of the next generation. Younger generation X are closer in mindset to older millennials. 

Take @Irish Jet post. He says he entered the job market after the recession of 2008. He must be the tail end of millennial and therefore would have much more in common with Gen z than older millennial who were born in the early 80s and would have been working for around a decade before that recession. 

It's definitely interesting. I was born after you at the tail end of Gen X and I 100% connect and get Gen X culture and mindset and simply cannot relate to millenials at all. I've always been an old soul, though and my older cousin was like a big brother to me who I shadowed and idolized growing up.

A lot probably has to do with your influences as a kid which side you relate more to if you are a 'tweener.

9 hours ago, Corn said:

Okay thanks I guess.Just seems like the society  a complete collapse.When the mental illness is skyrocketing  along with child abuse and crime,

I just don't find it entertaining from the work we did.

I’m just enjoying the stories.  I’m not saving the world and neither did the generation before mine, next one won’t either.  

But stories about mischief, old school electronic games, 70s-80s hotties and stretching a dollar?  I can get behind that.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

It's definitely interesting. I was born after you at the tail end of Gen X and I 100% connect and get Gen X culture and mindset and simply cannot relate to millenials at all. I've always been an old soul, though and my older cousin was like a big brother to me who I shadowed and idolized growing up.

A lot probably has to do with your influences as a kid which side you relate more to if you are a 'tweener.

For instance. I grew up and we lived on Brooklyn with my grandparents. I have 6 aunts and uncles who i lived woth and who are all either young boomers or older gen x and they are like older brothers and sisters as opposed to aints and uncles. The gen x ones are not relatable to me as opposed to older millenials. There really are not hard black and white generations. But sub-generations where the crossover from one to the other kinda blends together. This black and white 1964-1980 time frame (as an example) just isn't an accurate depiction of gen x. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

For instance. I grew up and we lived on Brooklyn with my grandparents. I have 6 aunts and uncles who are all either young boomers or older gen x and they are like older brothers and sisters as opposed to aints and uncles. The gen x ones are not relatable to me as opposed to older millenials. There really are not hard black and white generations. But sub-generations where the crossover from one to the other kinda blends together. This black and white 1964-1980 time frame (as an example) just isn't an accurate depiction of gen x. 

You're right it's a continuum that shifts gradually as time goes on. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, GreenFish said:

39. About to be 40 and this hold true for me.

Hillarious post. I cant imagine letting my kids roam free like I did as a kid.

I let my kids have the same type of freedom I had. Only difference is I can reach them by phone if needed. Otherwise go out and try not to do anything too stupid. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

Not sure what generation you are but can you really complain about a generation you raised??

I didn't raise a generation, and Yes, I can complain... but not everyone is grouped in the whole... There are many individuals in this generation that don't conform to the hive mind.

15 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

With 5 kids I do everyday. Holy hell! I’m doing it wrong? 

For instance other day my kid calls me and says I tripped and fell opening the door and ripped it out of the hinges. This is a heavy duty door fir the garage. I know it's gotta be bullsh*t. Who knows what really happened...lol

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

Not sure what generation you are but can you really complain about a generation you raised??

2 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

Lol complaining is just whining

I was just responding to your exact question... guess you didn't see that. 

3 hours ago, neckdemon said:

For instance other day my kid calls me and says I tripped and fell opening the door and ripped it out of the hinges. This is a heavy duty door fir the garage. I know it's gotta be bullsh*t. Who knows what really happened...lol

Yeah, haha. About 10-12 years ago my younger just got his license. I come home to see my garage door two feet or so inside the garage at relatively steep angle. I asked him,” dude what happen?” He said,” I put the car in neutral and it rolled into it.”

My driveway has a pretty steep pitch going the opposite direction towards the street. I found out later he pulled in, didn’t put the car in park, was playing music and during the drum solo he stomped on the bass pedal, also known as the gas pedal. F-ing kids. 

• Haha 3