Mike McCarthy: We’re forging ahead with Brett Maher

Amazingly, Dallas is sticking with Maher.   We'll see if it works out but I would HATE this decision if I was a Cowboys fan.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/17/mike-mccarthy-were-forging-ahead-with-brett-maher/

Posted by Josh Alper on January 17, 2023, 5:51 PM EST

Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy said on Monday night that the team still believes in kicker Brett Maher despite his four missed extra points in their 31-14 win over the Buccaneers.

McCarthy sent the same message during his Tuesday press conference. He said that there are no thoughts to going with another kicker for Sunday’s road game against the 49ers.

“We’re going to forge ahead,” McCarthy said.

McCarthy also said that Maher was in the team’s facility on Tuesday to work with special teams coach John Fassell. Maher made his final extra point attempt on Monday and didn’t have any issues on kickoffs, so the Cowboys will be hoping that those kicks are a sign that a week of practice can get him back on track for the Niners.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, usanyj said:

we talked about zach not being able to complete a screen pass due to the yips...if anyone has the yips now, its this guy.

I also thought Dak came off like a tool on the sideline. I get the frustration, but every time he throws a pick I now want to see the sideline screaming at him.

I couldn't believe that either.  He was getting encouragement from his holder but then they cut to Dak on the sidelines acting like a complete jerk.  And Dak played great while Maher was historically bad.  But that was a TERRIBLE look.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Amazingly, Dallas is sticking with Maher.   We'll see if it works out but I would HATE this decision if I was a Cowboys fan.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/17/mike-mccarthy-were-forging-ahead-with-brett-maher/

Posted by Josh Alper on January 17, 2023, 5:51 PM EST

Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy said on Monday night that the team still believes in kicker Brett Maher despite his four missed extra points in their 31-14 win over the Buccaneers.

McCarthy sent the same message during his Tuesday press conference. He said that there are no thoughts to going with another kicker for Sunday’s road game against the 49ers.

“We’re going to forge ahead,” McCarthy said.

McCarthy also said that Maher was in the team’s facility on Tuesday to work with special teams coach John Fassell. Maher made his final extra point attempt on Monday and didn’t have any issues on kickoffs, so the Cowboys will be hoping that those kicks are a sign that a week of practice can get him back on track for the Niners.

Criminal.  If he misses a big kick that costs them the game, McCarthy should be fired

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

You know what you never see? A team faking a 2-point conversion and kicking the extra point.

A.R. 11.10 TRY KICK ATTEMPT – 2 YARD LINE
On a Try attempt from the B2, A lines up in an offensive formation and then shifts into a Try-kick formation. A1’s Try kick goes through the uprights.
Ruling: Unsuccessful Try. The ball must be snapped at the B15 for a Try kick

You can do that, but it would be illegal.

• Haha 1

I like how the coaches we passed on, Or were “too old” are still in the playoffs. Coaches that had experience… A no no for us, we always like to get the hot coordinator, the only one with experience lately was Gase, and we all knew he blew… McCarthy, Reid,  Pederson ,, nope, gotta get the hot coordinator…

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

On a Try attempt from the B2, A lines up in an offensive formation and then shifts into a Try-kick formation. A1’s Try kick goes through the uprights.

I'd still like to see it though.

3 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

Criminal.  If he misses a big kick that costs them the game, McCarthy should be fired

What great kicker is out there that is available?

You are better off thinking he is getting past the yips then thinking you will find a better kicker just floating around out there.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

You are better off thinking he is getting past the yips then thinking you will find a better kicker just floating around out there.

The guy missed 4 extra points.  It was clearly mental.  You simply can't go into the next game with any confidence in him.  Any NFL level kicker you can sign off the street is better than a guy that is clearly broken right now.  One week of practice is not going to solve his issues

1 hour ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

That's precisely why we haven't seen it. You know what else we have never seen? The kicker pop the ball up in the air, catch it and then run backwards for the safety. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, heymangold said:

i'm glad dak flipped out.  he's playing his balls off out there and this kicker has LITERALLY 1 job to do.  4 in a row is unacceptable. 

Twc306 Please Stop Saying Literally GIF by truTV’s Those Who Can’t

Figuratively. Kickers also make an occasional tackle on a kick-off return. They also don't only kick extra points.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

No problem with this decision at all.

Maher was 29/32 (90.6%) on FG attempts with a long of 60 and 50/53 (94.3%) on XP in 2022.  In short, he was money.  You don't give up on a guy like this after one bad game which was clearly mental.

What's the alternative?  Imagine you pick up a guy off the street at this point in the season, and he fails miserably on the biggest stage in the playoffs.  The Cowboys would be rightfully criticized to no end.

The right move is to stick with the guy who was great for you all season long and hope he gets over his short lived mental block.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

Is Ficken still available?  I'll never forget my 10 year old son turning to me and mumbling 'Fricken Ficken' after one of his painful misses.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

No problem with this decision at all.

Maher was 29/32 (90.6%) on FG attempts with a long of 60 and 50/53 (94.3%) on XP in 2022.  In short, he was money.  You don't give up on a guy like this after one bad game which was clearly mental.

What's the alternative?  Imagine you pick up a guy off the street at this point in the season, and he fails miserably on the biggest stage in the playoffs.  The Cowboys would be rightfully criticized to no end.

The right move is to stick with the guy who was great for you all season long and hope he gets over his short lived mental block.

Are you basically stating that they 'DoubleDown' on Maher? 

Sorry - morphing into my father now 83.2% complete.

In all seriousness, maybe the cure for these YIPS is to switch Maher to QB and Zach to PK.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

He had a great season and a really bad day at the office.   Would they fire Ceedee Lamb because he dropped 3 balls in a game?  

Placekicking in the NFL is not easy.  Requires exceptional mental toughness.  There is only 1 Justin Tucker.  All the rest occasionally have a bad game.   Mason Crosby had a whole season where he stunk. Zeurlein had a crappy season once also.  Folk was off for several games this year.  

You don’t quit on a kicker because of a bad game.  

Edited by RoadFan
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I couldn't believe that either.  He was getting encouragement from his holder but then they cut to Dak on the sidelines acting like a complete jerk.  And Dak played great while Maher was historically bad.  But that was a TERRIBLE look.

I wonder if Maher said anything about all those pick 6's Dak threw this year. Maher is a good kicker.  He will be fine. 

• Upvote 1