Mangold, Fitzpatrick, Pennington, Willie Colon, Bart Scott?

Mangold, Fitzpatrick, Pennington, Willie Colon, Bart Scott? Why are some in our fanbase obsessed with handing a coaching job to former players with ZERO experience instead of guys who have dedicated their careers to moving up the ladder and earning it? Mindboggling to me.

Don't get me wrong, I loved these guys as players, but IMO we are too close to success right now to be hiring any coach with zero experience. 

For those who support these types of hirings, please enlighten me.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Mangold, Fitzpatrick, Pennington, Willie Colon, Bart Scott? Why are some in our fanbase obsessed with handing a coaching job to former players with ZERO experience instead of guys who have dedicated their careers to moving up the ladder and earning it? Mindboggling to me.

Don't get me wrong, I loved these guys as players, but IMO we are too close to success right now to be hiring any coach with zero experience. 

Players respect other players.  Not every player is a good teacher, but the ones mentioned above all have "people" skills and plenty of smarts. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

A guy like Pennington would be a great mentor for Zach.  Always knew where to go with the ball, great at play action, accurate, mentally tough.  Everything Zach has either forgotten or never learned...

Of all the players mentioned, Pennington (I would guess) would be the most likley to succeed but again, I would like to leave as many question marks out of any coaching hire currently

59 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Players respect other players.  Not every player is a good teacher, but the ones mentioned above all have "people" skills and plenty of smarts. 

I would agree that former players have this advantage initially however it takes experience to be a successful coach, how this could happen immediatley with zero experience doesnt seem to be a luxury we can bank on in our current situation. 

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Chad Pennington has been coaching football for years.

Thought I heard that too. Also believe he volunteered during training camp one year (?). Of all that I have heard mentioned, Pennington would be probably the only one I wouldnt have an issue with 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Mangold is one of my all-time favorite Jets.

If he has an interest in joining the coaching ranks, I'd like to see it be here, with us.

I'm not hiring him as a Head Coach.  He's not qualified.

But as an O-line Assistant, to start with, seems perfectly reasonable.

Look at ex-Jet Aaron Glenn.  Seems he does ok, and someone gave him his first shot, right?

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If he has an interest in joining the coaching ranks, I'd like to see it be here, with us.

Look at ex-Jet Aaron Glenn.  Seems he does ok, and someone gave him his first shot, right?

Yes, most definitly agree. Start at/near the bottom and earn it is all Im saying. Great example is Aaron Glenn (wish he was on our staff)

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I agree with this.  I believe coaching at its core is the ability to find a common ground and build up.  Who better than a high level player that was there once before.  As has been said, it's not the same as we are hiring Jeff Saturday for HC.

There are even intern positions that guys looking to get back involved may be interested in.  It's not about the money.  

I'd bring Pennington in, in a heartbeat to "help" out.  I sure as hell making him OC.  I'd also bring in the Fitz.  He has the energy and perceived people skills to coach, imo.  

Mangold, yup.  

Colon, absolutely!

Loved Bart Scott, but I don't see him as a coach.  From a very distant outside perspective.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Copernicus said:

while I agree that these former players should not be handed jobs, but it's also true these career coaches are not always smart hires either because a lot of them of nepotism hires, retreads, and in the coaching club because of who they know and get along with. like every industry.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Totally agree, but would be amenable to adding any of them as an assistant to the position coach. Except Fits. He’s cursed. Every coach ahead of him would suffer some debilitating injury or ailment and he’d be the interim HC by week 8.

• Haha 2

I am pro coaches getting coaching jobs. However, I can see the intrigue in bringing in a knowledgeable, articulate former player. Some of them can/are good coaches without going through the process of being a coach at the NFL level. And some coaches who spent all their lives as nothing but coaches, suck. 

have any of these players expressed interest in coaching?  i'm sure the jets would take them on as an assistant of some sort.  but they're all probably making enough money doing whatever it is they're doing right now.  we know about bart scott's gig on ny tv.  he's doing pretty well.  of the group i think chaddy would be a good choice mainly because he understood the game.  scott might be decent too.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Of all the players mentioned, Pennington (I would guess) would be the most likley to succeed but again, I would like to leave as many question marks out of any coaching hire currently

Pennington is so frail, I don't think he could even make it through an entire season of coaching.

16 hours ago, hawk said:

I agree with this.  I believe coaching at its core is the ability to find a common ground and build up.  Who better than a high level player that was there once before.  As has been said, it's not the same as we are hiring Jeff Saturday for HC.

There are even intern positions that guys looking to get back involved may be interested in.  It's not about the money.  

I'd bring Pennington in, in a heartbeat to "help" out.  I sure as hell making him OC.  I'd also bring in the Fitz.  He has the energy and perceived people skills to coach, imo.  

Mangold, yup.  

Colon, absolutely!

Loved Bart Scott, but I don't see him as a coach.  From a very distant outside perspective.

I agree with much of what you said. I would counter with that often it is not the high level player that becomes the great coach because his expectations are that all players will be as good as they were when they played. It is often the "lunch pail" type player that has more success coaching. Listening to these guys in their post playing careers and how they present themselves and their demeanor the one i have most confidence in is Pennington. The rest give me a "know it all/arrogant/look at me vibe sometimes. Could all be for attention in TV world

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Pennington is a d**kbag and would be an awful coach.  

Hmmmm, never heard this perspective of him. Soft spoken, super intelligent, successfully developed by our organization, seems proud to be a former Jet, and well spoken. What makes you think this? 

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

have any of these players expressed interest in coaching?  i'm sure the jets would take them on as an assistant of some sort.  but they're all probably making enough money doing whatever it is they're doing right now.  we know about bart scott's gig on ny tv.  he's doing pretty well.  of the group i think chaddy would be a good choice mainly because he understood the game.  scott might be decent too.

Agree with Pennington. Real down on Bart. Absurd criticism of Zach early on made it feel personal, his show is awful and he often comes off as a baffoon 

5 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Hmmmm, never heard this perspective of him. Soft spoken, super intelligent, successfully developed by our organization, seems proud to be a former Jet, and well spoken. What makes you think this? 

He got angry at the media once so he's basically a terrorist.