Mangold, Fitzpatrick, Pennington, Willie Colon, Bart Scott?

16 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Didn’t want those guys until you mentioned them. Now I’m on board.

Don't be mistaken, and maybe I should have made myself clearer. I want more former players on our staff and in the building. I believe it has been lacking for so many years. But I have read fans comments about hiring Mangold or others at higher coaching positions like OLINE coach and am against that. If they truly want to coach, I am on board. Just start at/ or near the bottom and work your way up. A perfect example is Aaron Glenn. How in the world this guy is not a part of our staff is criminal. 

44 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Hmmmm, never heard this perspective of him. Soft spoken, super intelligent, successfully developed by our organization, seems proud to be a former Jet, and well spoken. What makes you think this? 

* Once told a journalist it’s a “privilege” to cover players like him

* Never took accountability for his own poor performances 

* Danced to Eminem after Chad Henne lost his job to him in Miami

I yield the rest of my time to @Bleedin Green

22 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Of all the players mentioned, Pennington (I would guess) would be the most likley to succeed but again, I would like to leave as many question marks out of any coaching hire currently

Can we just conjur up a Freaky Friday situation where Zack and Chad switch bodies? 

Pennington brained Zach will go to the Hall of Fame. Zach brained Pennington we just lock in a room and throw away the room. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/18/2023 at 10:38 AM, Copernicus said:

Mangold, Fitzpatrick, Pennington, Willie Colon, Bart Scott? Why are some in our fanbase obsessed with handing a coaching job to former players with ZERO experience instead of guys who have dedicated their careers to moving up the ladder and earning it? Mindboggling to me.

Don't get me wrong, I loved these guys as players, but IMO we are too close to success right now to be hiring any coach with zero experience. 

For those who support these types of hirings, please enlighten me.

Aaron Glenn was prestty solid as DC of the Lions.

9 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Agree with Pennington. Real down on Bart. Absurd criticism of Zach early on made it feel personal, his show is awful and he often comes off as a baffoon 

I don’t know. I kind of like Bart. Colon isn’t bad either. The other guy? Not so much.  I think the biggest issue with regard zwilson critics was calling it hero ball.  I don’t know if that’s wha he was doing.  The athletic interview said milfy told him to only make the first two reads and then run.

I’d bring in Pennington as qb coach in a heartbeat. He wasn’t a traits guy, but nailed down his fundamentals and was a very cerebral qb. Those type of guys usually turn out to be good coaches. He’s also been coaching for years. HS, but he’s getting his feet wet. 

Mangold has shown interest. I’d bring him in as an assistant OL coach. Definitely wouldn’t let him lead the room with his lack of coaching experience and coaching like 10 guys at once 

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

* Once told a journalist it’s a “privilege” to cover players like him

* Never took accountability for his own poor performances 

* Danced to Eminem after Chad Henne lost his job to him in Miami

I yield the rest of my time to @Bleedin Green

Great list that are all hard to forget because:

1. Was one of the most douchey interviews imaginable.

2. He would make his favorite "if I could do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing" comment after an offensive shut out where he turned it over numerous times.

3. It was a true matter of karma that his career ended I believe a grand total of two plays after this little stunt

In regards to his potential as a QB coach: no, nobody needs to be taught how to throw a 2-yard check down to a FB on 3rd and long in order to keep that completion percentage up. It would be like taking the throw that Cousins is currently being (deservedly) crucified for, but then choosing to put it on repeat all week every week.

As impressed as the noodle has always been with himself, the reality that the teams had a higher win rate with the likes of Quincy Carter and Kellen Clemens than with him in the same season is what really tells you something.

Let's also not forget that just a few weeks before becoming Jets head coach, ole Rexy openly mocked Pennington and the "don't let our QB touch the ball" wild cat offense, before completely tearing Chad a new one in the game.

Outside of 2/3 of the 2002 that gave a momentary glimmer of hope, I still cannot fathom what anyone ever saw.

• Post of the Week 1

On 1/18/2023 at 10:44 AM, sourceworx said:

I could see Fitzy being a good coach. Bouncing around the league between multiple teams and systems the way he did in his career, the guy has surely seen a lot.

The beard alone might get us into the playoffs...

On 1/18/2023 at 10:38 AM, Copernicus said:

Mangold, Fitzpatrick, Pennington, Willie Colon, Bart Scott? Why are some in our fanbase obsessed with handing a coaching job to former players with ZERO experience instead of guys who have dedicated their careers to moving up the ladder and earning it? Mindboggling to me.

Don't get me wrong, I loved these guys as players, but IMO we are too close to success right now to be hiring any coach with zero experience. 

For those who support these types of hirings, please enlighten me.

Look at great coaches MANY started in high school. Read the WIKI of Roy Williams, Coach K, Dick Vitale, John Harbaugh.  All were unable to play at a high level.   Mike Tomlin teammate is a neighbor of mine.  Tomlin was NEVER going to the NFL but he told me Tomlin separated himself as the smartest at W and M.    My neighbor was the FG kicker.   Copernicus is on target!