Who if your favorite Jets OC since 2001?

Who is your favorite Jets OC  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Jets OC

• Paul Hackett
    • Mike Heimerdinger
    • Brian Schottenheimer
    • Martin Mornhinweig
    • Thomas Chandler Gailey
    • John Morton
    • Jeremy Bates
    • Dowell Loggains
    • Mike LaFleur
    • Anthony Sparano

I don’t think any of those guys got additional chances at being an OC other than Shotty. Some really bad coaches there, who were also given little/nothing to work with. 

I liked LaFleur’s system (system, not play calling) a lot. Wish we could’ve seen it with an above average QB operating it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

John Morton is the best OC we had during that span....

He was able to do more with less and get decent production out of an offense with Josh McCown, Robbie Anderson, and Bilal Powell as it's primary players....open receivers all over the place and we pushed the ball down the field...McCown got hurt and things went downhill with two complete duds at QB on the roster

Bowles (which seems to be a trend of his) scapegoated Morton because he had a poor football team. We didn't run the ball enough for his liking because Bowles is an ultra conservative pu$$y of a HC....

I'm not sure it is fair to say they scapegoated Morton.  28th in points, 24th in yards.  They replaced him with Bates who was kind of a lunatic, but had a lot of power when Morton was there.  I think they wanted Bates for OC but he had been away from football and was crazy.  When he said he would take over as OC, they moved on from Morton who was rumored to be trying to run out to join Gruden in Oakland/Vegas.  FWIW, he joined Gruden in 2019 after taking a year off. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not sure it is fair to say they scapegoated Morton.  28th in points, 24th in yards.  They replaced him with Bates who was kind of a lunatic, but had a lot of power when Morton was there.  I think they wanted Bates for OC but he had been away from football and was crazy.  When he said he would take over as OC, they moved on from Morton who was rumored to be trying to run out to join Gruden in Oakland/Vegas.  FWIW, he joined Gruden in 2019 after taking a year off. 

Morton was a man’s man. 

At first i picked morton but went with Shotty whom everyone hates.

For all the people that say that rex got us to two afc title games, shotty got us there just as much.  He had to deal with a rookie who was near as bad as the rookies we have failed with lately, we just had a totally stacked team.  He got a lot out of sanchez and though he had a lot of terrible game calling he had some good ones as well.  (Sideline pass to Braylon Edwards to get us in fg range vs indy)

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

At first i picked morton but went with Shotty whom everyone hates.

For all the people that say that rex got us to two afc title games, shotty got us there just as much.  He had to deal with a rookie who was near as bad as the rookies we have failed with lately, we just had a totally stacked team.  He got a lot out of sanchez and though he had a lot of terrible game calling he had some good ones as well.  (Sideline pass to Braylon Edwards to get us in fg range vs indy)

I picked Morton, but Schotty was my second choice

LaFluer then Schotty LaFluers Scheme was fine as there were guys open all the time If we had even a hint of consistent average QB play and not the abomination at the position we witnessed all year the Jets make the playoffs. 
Next OC please please no empty backfield on third or fourth and an inch 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

I don’t think any of those guys got additional chances at being an OC other than Shotty. Some really bad coaches there, who were also given little/nothing to work with. 

I liked LaFleur’s system (system, not play calling) a lot. Wish we could’ve seen it with an above average QB operating it. 

Im the opposite. I really do not like the system LaFleur had at all. In fact it's probably my least favorite of any OC on that board.

Gailey definitely wins out on this one by a pretty wide margin, but that has just as much to do with how awful some of those other guys were than how good he did.

I can admit my past hate for Schotty was in no small part due to the fact that he overstayed his welcome by a very, very long time, but he's not the worst of the bunch.  However, he was still below average at the job at his peak.  The insistence on only ever motioning a 40 year old FB seemed like a running joke to see how useless a player motion could actually be.  However, more than anything, the 2009 Jets/Bills was literally the single dumbest offensive play-calling in NFL history.  It takes a special level of stupid to somehow both run for over 300 yards and yet still be throwing 6 picks, despite having a lead until late in the 4th.  Literally just kneeling down on every single play of the second half would have been infinitely better than what he came up with.

The Morton love by some has nothing to it other than him being around for too short to build up a true hatred of him, but nothing particularly good came during his actual time here, and no other team in the league has ever found him worthy of the job.

LaFleur was better than many of these sad names, but that's hardly saying much, so while I'm not too worked up about his firing, him being the 2022 scapegoat does little to change that the entire Jets FO and coaching staff might want to start prepping their resumes for this time next year.  That reality gives little reason for any optimism about who will even want to take this job, which is probably the more legitimate concern, when knowing it's likely not going to last very long.

The only plus side to it all is any of the future hires for the job have themselves a very, very low bar they need to reach in order to earn themselves the honor of best at the job in decades.  Of course, that might just a tad bit dependent on also breaking the decades-long tradition of hot garbage at the QB position, which has more than a little bit to do with the feelings towards many of them.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I honestly don't  think we ever saw what MLF could do as OC becaise he had a QB that couldn't handle the basic stuff. 

Actually, he consistently put all of the qbs in obvious passing situations with his predictable play calling. When the offense had injuries to the o line and rb he never tried getting the ball to our playmaker wrs. He would ram a bum rb into an 11 man run blitz consistently on first down. The qbs never took 3 step drops and quick outs or slants, it was always 7 step drops with time consuming routes. 

With that said it was sink or swim with the players because he didn’t put them in the best position to succeed. And most importantly he never learned from his mistakes. He was doubling down and pointing the fingers at players.

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Shotty was underrated here....that has always been my take and I'm sticking with it.  

I beg to differ.

Shotty was an idiot.

3rd down draw plays were predictable.

Mangini had to script the opening drives for Favre

Just more foolish nepotism in the NFL.