Sean Payton wants what?

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

they spend what is mandated by the salary cap/floor system. They don't go overboard in areas where spending isn't mandated like coaching, scouting or training staff

heck it took like half the league getting hurt at metlife for them to look at replacing the turf 

Well which is it?   Before you said they didn’t up to the cap, now they do and only because it’s mandated?  No. 
JD redid the scouting dept, added to it so that’s not true.  Coaching staff?  You have absolutely no idea ho much they spend compared to others.  What are we talking anyway, a couple of million in the grand scheme of things?  That’s silly at best.  How about they train in a $100M facility while most teams are on a school fields.  Like when Hess had them at Hofstra.  
Half the league got hurt at MetLife?  What bs are you churning?  They just put a new field down, what was supposed to be the latest, greatest turf and when the report came out questioning it the Jets announced the turf was coming up,and new turf is going down this offseason.  
You should quit with the cheap routine, you really a far off 

9 hours ago, slats said:

For his entire head coaching career, Sean Payton had Drew Brees as his QB in a dome in the NFC south. My suspicion is that he’s the most overrated coach in history, and that the team acquiring the rights to pay him a fortune will soon regret it. 

I understand the concern.  One thing that plays in his favor, imo, is that Parcells brought him to Dallas.  I feel like that means he saw something in him.  

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I understand the concern.  One thing that plays in his favor, imo, is that Parcells brought him to Dallas.  I feel like that means he saw something in him.  

Peyton is like .800 in games without Brees. I believe it's like 10 games. Not a giant sample size, true, however that percentage is higher than Bill Walsh without Montana/Young (<.400) and Belichick without Brady (<.500).

The "Sean Payton is overrated" crowd is absurd.  He's overseen 7 of the top 35 offenses (by yardage) in NFL history, including the # 1.  Teddy Bridgewater, pretty much by far, played the best football of his career with Payton as his HC, (and Winston was excellent as well), so we know Payton can do the job even with middling QB play.  He immediately brings viability to a Jets program that has been lacking adults in the room since forever.

Come the f**k on already.  

• Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:
  • Teddy Bridgewater with Payton as his HC:  68 % completions, 9 TDs/2 INTs, 99.1 QB Rating, 5-0 record.
  • Andy Dalton with Payton as his HC:  67 % completions, 18 TDs/9 INTs, 7.6 YPA, 95.2 QB rating (his highest since 2015).
  • Jameis Winston with Payton as his HC:  61 % completions, 18 TDs/8 INTs, 7.3 YPA, 92.7 QB Rating

Come on.

And he’s still not coaching up Zach.  

9 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

That's wild. I would've guessed he won 4 SB's or something lol

He's been to 3 of them, and his teams have always been contending. The first half of his HC career was with the Eagles, who won their first Ring with Pederson in 2018. 

He's also the only HC to go to 4 straight conference champs with 2 different teams, as well as hit 100 wins each with 2 different teams, which is an amazing feat. 

7 hours ago, Bungaman said:

The closest to it, I believe, is Joe Gibbs leading the Foreskins to three Super Bowl wins with three decidedly average QB's. 

I’d argue the closest to doing it was Mike Holmgren, who won in GB and was a few terrible calls away from winning another one with Seattle in 05 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Well which is it?   Before you said they didn’t up to the cap, now they do and only because it’s mandated?  No. 
JD redid the scouting dept, added to it so that’s not true.  Coaching staff?  You have absolutely no idea ho much they spend compared to others.  What are we talking anyway, a couple of million in the grand scheme of things?  That’s silly at best.  How about they train in a $100M facility while most teams are on a school fields.  Like when Hess had them at Hofstra.  
Half the league got hurt at MetLife?  What bs are you churning?  They just put a new field down, what was supposed to be the latest, greatest turf and when the report came out questioning it the Jets announced the turf was coming up,and new turf is going down this offseason.  
You should quit with the cheap routine, you really a far off 

No you're right the Jets are run really well 

It's just bad luck and coincidence they haven't made the playoffs for 12 years 

Keep telling yourself that 

36 minutes ago, bitonti said:

You have been doing the cheapskate routine for years and frankly, its just false.  Facts don't seem to matter to you on this issue.  And when youre called out on it, you  divert with a snide remark.

I think you know that you are full of sh*t here most of the time.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

As a business, they are run well.  I know you think they’re like a mom and pop deli but they’re at the top of the money making list of teams.  So I’ll keep telling myself that while you look confused while denying it and clinging to the cheap routine.  

• Upvote 1

As a business, they are run well.  I know you think they’re like a mom and pop deli but they’re at the top of the money making list of teams.  So I’ll keep telling myself that while you look confused while denying it and clinging to the cheap routine.  

They are lucky to be in NY ... That is all.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

David tepper owner of the Carolina panthers is the richest owner in the NFL. He's also interviewing Payton this week. 

And Payton probably prefers Sam Darnold over Zach Wilson.  Ditto for Russell Wilson in Denver

Sean Payton is not coming here.  And even if he did he is not going to fix Zach Wilson he would probably bring in his own veteran QB 

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

What is so complicated about running the jets as a business?  They are a NFL franchise and football is a product sells itself.  Plus fantasy football and the internet last 20 years has caused the country’s most popular sport to become even more popular 

I’ll give woody credit for buying the jets before the value of the franchise skyrocketed.  It’s literally the only good business move he has ever made on his own.  That said his interference in football operations has been beyond disastrous even delusional homers like yourself have to admit it finallly

• More Ugh 2

19 hours ago, slats said:

Again, I’m not saying he sucks, I’m saying there’s no way he’s worth two first round picks and $20M/year. 

I agree on the draft pick compensation, but then again. 

Belichick cost a 1st and the exchange of two late picks.  Payton has a better track record as an HC than Belichick did.  Par$ells netted a 1st, 2nd 3rd and 4th spread-out over three years. Probably should be somewhere in the middle.

As far as the contract, it is what it is.

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

David tepper owner of the Carolina panthers is the richest owner in the NFL. He's also interviewing Payton this week. 

I guess we'll see if he gives him $20 million a year.

Also, not sure I'd consider the Panthers a well run organization tot his point, would you?

• Upvote 2

On 1/19/2023 at 5:29 AM, TommyT said:

Sean Payton should not be an option if you have to give 2 first rounders and pay 20-25 mil yearly. Let him stay an analyst.

Coaches don’t count against the cap 

So let Woody spend 100M on a coach 

What do I care as long as he’s the right guy

20 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Logic, not polish.  You should try some.  It would improve most of your bat-sht crazy takes.

I've had low or no expectations for the better part of a decade 

They've yet to surprise me 

It's one of the worst run organizations in professional sports

What's crazy, being realistic or having faith that this is the year? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I guess we'll see if he gives him $20 million a year.

Also, not sure I'd consider the Panthers a well run organization tot his point, would you?

They certainly try harder. If a qb isn't working they get another. If a coach isn't working they pay him off 

In a way woody has a point. There's no sense in trying because winning is hard. There's no guarantee that trying equates to results 

There's no reason to pay for a big coach or big qb when end of the day Bill Beli and the bills are still going to dunk on you. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

Just now, bitonti said:

I've had low or no expectations for the better part of a decade 

They've yet to surprise me 

It's one of the worst run organizations in professional sports

What's crazy, being realistic or having faith that this is the year? 

Neither.  It is indeed one of the worst, perhaps in the 5 all-time worst, managed professional sports teams.  But that doesn't mean I come on to this forum and totally make stuff up and repeat illogical nonsense that you do year after year. If the bullcrap you throw on this board makes you feel better, what can I say?  I guess you're going to continue to medicate yourself here with all the nonsense you post in between the few outstanding posts.  

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

They certainly try harder. If a qb isn't working they get another. If a coach isn't working they pay him off 

In a way woody has a point. There's no sense in trying because winning is hard. There's no guarantee that trying equates to results 

There's no reason to pay for a big coach or big qb when end of the day Bill Beli and the bills are still going to dunk on you. 

Yeah I agree with this. The Giants and the Mara’s try. The Jets model is to give off the impression that they’re trying. 

• Upvote 2