Jets Coaching The Running Backs At The Senior Bowl

The CS being at the Senior Bowl with these kids is such an overblown “advantage”. 
Every team has their people there, and these are the level players who, if you don’t know all there is to know by draft day, your organization is clueless… regardless of whether you spent a week coaching them.

• WTF? 2
  • More Ugh 2
  • Haha 1

August 4, 2022

The New York Jets are adding to their coaching staff with a month to go before the regular season begins.

Bruce Feldman of The Athletic and FOX Sports is reporting the Jets are bringing in Toledo linebackers coach Pat Bastien.

The Athletic’s Zach Rosenblatt reports Bastien will be an offensive assistant with the Jets.

Bastien has been a coach since 2014, as a graduate assistant at UCF and has also made coaching stops at Georgia Southern (2016-17), Southern (2018), Georgia (2018-19). Marshall (2020) and Western Kentucky (2021).

Bastien has experience coaching both linebackers and cornerbacks in his coaching career and was a four-year linebacker at UAB from 2009-2013. He was also Assistant Director of Player Development while at Georgia.

With the help of Bastien, Western Kentucky went 9-5 in 2021, including a 59-38 win over Appalachian State in the Boca Raton Bowl, where QB Bailey Zappe set the NCAA record for passing yards (5,967) and touchdown passes (62).

51 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

RB feels like a late round/UDFA priority this year. With Knight, Breece and Carter, there a far bigger needs elsewhere.

That said, Tyjae Spears will be a steal for someone.

You just pretty well stole the exact post I was going to make with the exact player.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JiFields said:

You dont think actually getting to spend time w/ someone and seeing how they respond to coaching and how quickly they pick up on things is an advantage????  

I guess so… it certainly can’t hurt.

then again this thread is 4 hours old and we have 5 of the 10replies to the OP. I’m not sensing a lot of excitement about it from people.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I guess so… it certainly can’t hurt.

then again this thread is 4 hours old and we have 5 of the 10replies to the OP. I’m not sensing a lot of excitement about it from people.

The lack of excitement around this news and the advantages you gain scouting players you've actually coached are 2 totally different things.  lol 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/19/2023 at 9:25 AM, Green Ghost said:

The CS being at the Senior Bowl with these kids is such an overblown “advantage”. 
Every team has their people there, and these are the level players who, if you don’t know all there is to know by draft day, your organization is clueless… regardless of whether you spent a week coaching them.

Numbers and tape have their place. Having one on one / group interactions with a person adds very important context