Forcing Douglas and Saleh to take the "fall" for Wilson is stupid. It was the right move, but drafting QBs is a crapshoot.

12 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Keeping Darnold was not the answer either. He has shown absolutely nothing in 5 years now. Yes, the Jets could have kept him and traded down and filled in more of the  roster, but they'd be in the same place now - a middling NFL team with a strong roster and no. QB.

Disagree.  This was 100% the answer.   How the team would be constructed right now, would be significantly better for the long haul and while Sam Darnold may not be the long term answer, he's a much much better player than Zach Wilson and in this situation, it would have been much much easier to move on from Darnold to a vet as opposed to having Zach Wilson's kernel looming in the background. 

• Upvote 4

if the team overall did not show any improvement this past season then saleh and douglas both need to be called on the carpet.  the simple fact is the defense made a huge improvement and the offense has gained a number of really good skill position players.  i suspect saleh was pretty much hands off on the offense and defense.  he probably figured his good buddy milfy could handle the job.  he clearly couldn't.  as far as zwilson goes, he either didn't voice his concerns loudly enough or he didn't adapt his system to take advantage of wilson's strengths.  so this is all more on milfy than anyone else.

as for the comments about drafting zwilson with the second pick, i don't exactly see anyone else other that lawrence actually performing well from that draft class.  and look at the giaints.  they didn't exercise the fifth year option on danny dimes but daboll was able get him to play differently and take advantage of his strengths.  on that note i wil say i still have some faith that zwilson will be a decent qb.  maybe not until next season but better than he's been.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Seems like most people on this board want a pound of flesh from Douglas and/or Saleh for the Wilson pick. They also claim it was an "epic" disaster.  I don't think either statement is close to being accurate.

Wilson was the consensus second pick in the 2021 draft. If the Jets didn't take him, the 49ers were going to pick him 3rd after they traded up. Are the 49ers a bad organization?  

When you get a high draft pick and have no QB, it makes perfect sense to take a swing. If it was any other season, a 2 win Jets team in 2020 would have had the first pick and Lawrence would be the QB. Then Douglas would be a messiah. Instead, the Jets perennial "good fortune" and stupidity in winning those two games late in 2020 kicked in and Lawrence is a Jaguar. If the Jets took Lawrence at #1 in 2021, people would be pushing for a Douglas statue at MetLife.  There is quite a bit of luck in the QB drafting thing, and the Jets have had no luck at all.  

What other QB drafted in 2021 is a future NFL starter, let alone franchise QB? Lance? He can't stay on the field and is as raw as they come. His days in SF seem over. Fields? He appears to be a running back playing QB and is struggling to pick up the NFL passing game and to process things quickly.  He's on the same path as Wilson, except the Bears will be forced to evaluate him longer and will pass on a QB again this year and that may come back to haunt them.  Mac Jones? He is physically limited and appears to be no better than a future journeyman. He may get one more year on a fading Pats team.

Keeping Darnold was not the answer either. He has shown absolutely nothing in 5 years now. Yes, the Jets could have kept him and traded down and filled in more of the  roster, but they'd be in the same place now - a middling NFL team with a strong roster and no. QB.

In today's NFL, it pays to take a chance on a young QB on a rookie deal. The repercussions from missing on a draft pick are not nearly as great as missing on a veteran free agent QB or a trade (see Denver's Russell Wilson mess). Spending $30-40 million over 4 years on a rookie QB is far less disastrous than spending $100-150 million for 3-4 years for a free agent, or 3-4 early draft picks and $100-200 million on a QB trade.  Deciding to sign Carr or Rodgers this offseason and getting it wrong is far worse than missing on Wilson.  The resources needed for a veteran QB are far greater than on a high draft pick QB.  That is what makes it worth it to take a shot at the college QB when you get a chance. If it hits, you win the lottery. 

Douglas and Saleh do not have to "pay" for taking a shot on Wilson. That is a ridiculous take propagated by an often ignorant fan base. Teams miss on drafted QBs more than they hit. Look at the NFL junkyard littered with failed QB prospects - Winston, Mariotta, Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, Wilson, Lance, (soon to be Fields and Jones ), Haskins, Lock, Wentz, Lynch, Bortles, Manzeil, Bridgewater.... Compare that to the few that make it. It does not appear easy to determine which college QBs will make the grade and which will not. Did the Chargers really know that Herbert was the real deal in 2020 when they took him at 6 after Tua, or were they just lucky? I think it is the latter. If the 2020 QB class was available in 2021, the Jets may have had Herbert rather than Wilson. Does that really make the Chargers Tom Telesco better at evaluating QBs than Douglas?  Nope. It makes Telesco lucky he had an early pick that year instead of the following year.   

Spending a high #1 draft pick on a QB has not worked out for the Jets in a very long time. Some of the best QB’s in NFL history were not first round draft picks. This year’s “Mr. Irrevelant” (last guy picked in the draft) was Brock Purdy and he looked pretty good as the 49er’s QB when I watched him play last weekend. My point is the quality of your team makes a big difference . . . so we may be better off spending our first round draft picks in the future on building a quality team around whoever our QB is (and hopefully it won’t be Zach Wilson).

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, JiFields said:

Disagree.  This was 100% the answer.   How the team would be constructed right now, would be significantly better for the long haul and while Sam Darnold may not be the long term answer, he's a much much better player than Zach Wilson and in this situation, it would have been much much easier to move on from Darnold to a vet as opposed to having Zach Wilson's kernel looming in the background. 

Trade down, take Sewell or Parsons, get more picks(Brock Purdy?), and either let it ride with Darnold or a signed vet, could've lived with that. Drafting Wilson was the single worst thing the Jets could have done. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

Saleh didn't let Zach skate on scholarship. He fought jd to bench him and start Mike white 

Not that it will save either of their jobs but Saleh knows Zach stinks. Jd is in denial 

I mean with all due respect, he’s still on scholarship

and the “fighting to bench him” came after what, 20 games of bad football from ZW

And it finally happened with the locker room teetering on the edge of a mutiny after the 2nd NE loss and Wilson’s absurd “no….no”

Not exactly ballsy or evidence of meritocracy 

You can also bench a player in-game (to try and win the game) and then go back to him the next week

There is no rule saying you can’t

BB did this with McCorkle

But Saleh sat passively like a passenger watching the Jet offense put up 2 yards in the 2nd half, only to  claim afterwards that benching the sh-t QB was “the furthest thing from his mind”

Saleh has bent over backwards at every turn to avoid saying anything that could be perceived as remotely negative about the #2 overall bust just because he doesn’t want to offend his boss Joe Douglas

A real HC wouldn’t have to “fight” to bench anybody.  He would just announce it.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

SF also drafted a development QB this year before Lance got hurt and actually developed him.  It's also pretty early to write Lance off.

Jets drafted Morgan as a developmental QB.  SF drafted Purdy.  SF also didn't hand Lance the job and had Jimmy G on the roster for both of them to learn from before throwing them into the pool.

I think your concern is on point.  Reminds me of when the Jets lost a playoff game to the Steelers on a missed FG and thought they were a kicker away from the SB and drafted Nuge with a 2.  

There blaming the season on Zach and Lefleur and pretending the Jets are a QB with a cap killing deal away from a SB.  I'm not convinced Saleh could take the 85 bears with Dan Marino to the SB.  

SF got lucky with the Lance failure. Garappolo was not waiting in the wings. They tried to trade him all offseason, but they couldn’t because he was coming off shoulder surgery in March and wasn’t healed as d had two years left on his contract. They wanted no part of him. They were not going to carry a back up at $25 million a season. He was not invited to training camp by the 49ers. They were going with Lance. If Garappolo was healthy this summer, he would not have been on the 49ers. Then when Lance was lost for the season, Garappolo requested a new contract for less money over one year in return for the ability to be a free agent in 2023. They were extremely fortunate. And then Purdy stepped in when Garappolo went down. That leads me to believe that any QB can succeed in the Shanahan system rather than Purdy being special -  except Lance. He’s looked bad in the few games he’s played.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Trade down, take Sewell or Parsons, get more picks(Brock Purdy?), and either let it ride with Darnold or a signed vet, could've lived with that. Drafting Wilson was the single worst thing the Jets could have done. 

100%.  As much as I loved Fields, my preference was always the trade down and build around Sam, give it one last try and go from there.  Wilson was a tragic disaster motivated by politics.

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

SF got lucky with the Lance failure. Garappolo was not waiting in the wings. They tried to trade him all offseason, but they couldn’t because he was coming off shoulder surgery in March and wasn’t healed as d had two years left on his contract. They wanted no part of him. They were not going to carry a back up at $25 million a season. He was not invited to training camp by the 49ers. They were going with Lance. If Garappolo was healthy this summer, he would not have been on the 49ers. Then when Lance was lost for the season, Garappolo requested a new contract for less money over one year in return for the ability to be a free agent in 2023. They were extremely fortunate. And then Purdy stepped in when Garappolo went down. That leads me to believe that any QB can succeed in the Shanahan system rather than Purdy being special -  except Lance. He’s looked bad in the few games he’s played.

Just because Zach sucks and was over drafted and under developed by the Jets coaching staff doesn't mean Lance won't develop into something special.

Purdy was drafted because they were going to get rid of JG.  Here's something to ponder.  Would SF be the No. 1 seed if they did unload JG and Purdy started sooner?

It may just be that Purdy coming from a good confrence with a lot of experience and smarts might be a better QB than either JG, Zach or Mike White.   He may well have done better than Mac Jones under Belicheck.  

We know that Zach Wilson, Mike White and Joe Flacco can't succeed in the Shanahan "System".    The Jets run the Shanahan "system"

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

so how's fields doing?  don't the bears have the first pick?  think they stick with fields?

Fields stats aren’t great. I’ll give you that. 

86BD9253-3371-4479-B000-D419F55A0E39.thumb.jpeg.2345d6a8ad3cf24fc2edcc981e60e2ea.jpeg

but he has been improving every week. His numbers this year are better than last year. He also rushed for 1100 yards and 8 tds.

I think if he gets some talent around him he will take a major jump forward next year. I think he will break 3k yards passing. 3k yards passing doesn’t sound amazing but it’s something Lamar Jackson has only done once in his career. (most people think Lamar is pretty good) 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You always criticize, but never ever offer a solution. So what is your fix for this team @kevinc855Kevin?

Who should be the QB?  

Who should be the coach?

Who should be the GM?

What's the plan going forward?

How do you fix the OL?

Who is your pick for OC? 

What's your plan for free agency? The Draft?

Who should the Jets keep?  Release?

Let's hear it.

I offer plenty of solutions and was one of the trade the 2 pick for a haul guy.

Don't aire a defensive coach when you go all in on the number 2 pick. I could go on. 

Giving JD a pass is ludacris and lacks all sense of accountability. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

I don't blame them for drafting him, but they should have had a competent experienced QB on the roster for him to compete with for the starting job. For example, in August 2021 the Eagles traded a conditional 6th round pick (would become a 5th with 50% of the snaps played) to the Eagles for Gardner Minshew as a Jalen Hurts insurance policy.  It is a shame the the Jets did not formulate a similar strategy.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I mean with all due respect, he’s still on scholarship

and the “fighting to bench him” came after what, 20 games of bad football from ZW

And it finally happened with the locker room teetering on the edge of a mutiny after the 2nd NE loss and Wilson’s absurd “no….no”

Not exactly ballsy or evidence of meritocracy 

You can also bench a player in-game (to try and win the game) and then go back to him the next week

There is no rule saying you can’t

BB did this with McCorkle

But Saleh sat passively like a passenger watching the Jet offense put up 2 yards in the 2nd half, only to  claim afterwards that benching the sh-t QB was “the furthest thing from his mind”

Saleh has bent over backwards at every turn to avoid saying anything that could be perceived as remotely negative about the #2 overall bust just because he doesn’t want to offend his boss Joe Douglas

A real HC wouldn’t have to “fight” to bench anybody.  He would just announce it.

The problem is that jd did not give him any good options. Mike white is a fun story but that's not really an alternative. Neither was Flacco. Jd built the worst QB room in the league. They were lucky to win 7

Saleh turned the defense around but the offense is only going to be as good as the qb. MLF knew that and was fired for not believing in Zach 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JiFields said:

Double disagree.  They could have traded Darnold who sucks and traded the 2.  The option wasn't only Darnold or Zach.  There were a huge number of different options.  Trading Darnold was the right move along with trading down for more draft capital.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Fields stats aren’t great. I’ll give you that. 

86BD9253-3371-4479-B000-D419F55A0E39.thumb.jpeg.2345d6a8ad3cf24fc2edcc981e60e2ea.jpeg

but he has been improving every week. His numbers this year are better than last year. He also rushed for 1100 yards and 8 tds.

I think if he gets some talent around him he will take a major jump forward next year. I think he will break 3k yards passing. 3k yards passing doesn’t sound amazing but it’s something Lamar Jackson has only done once in his career. (most people think Lamar is pretty good) 

actually not bad.  i was referring more to his ability to stay on the field.  he has to stop thinking he can run like jackson.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The problem is that jd did not give him any good options. Mike white is a fun story but that's not really an alternative. Neither was Flacco. Jd built the worst QB room in the league. They were lucky to win 7

Saleh turned the defense around but the offense is only going to be as good as the qb. MLF knew that and was fired for not believing in Zach 

You can’t continue to ignore what Moore and Garett said about lafleur. He’s not a good teacher or coach. He picks plays from the madden Shanahan playbook. That’s it. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

You can’t continue to ignore what Moore and Garett said about lafleur. He’s not a good teacher or coach. He picks plays from the madden Shanahan playbook. That’s it. 

Moore is a total Jag with a tude.  Wilson just had the best rookie year for any Jets WR ever.

16 hours ago, Warfish said:

TLDR.

Wilson was not, and never will be, the “right choice”.

Some folks need to come to term with the fact they backed the wrong horse, and that other people who wanted nothing to do with Zach Wilson were, in fact, right all along.

The only pound of flesh I want is for our posters to live in reality once in a while. 

Nothing has to do with being right or wrong on a message board, which is what you are trying to turn it into, and is really silly.

Many things can be simultaneously true:

ZW may have been the wrong choice

The Jets may have done an awful job in trying to maximize the wrong choice.

Sometimes in life you have to separate the results from the process, and evaluate both individually. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JiFields said:

While I completely agree with this, this was not the popular take at the time. Most of this fan base hated Darnold, labeled him a complete bust and a terrible QB, and wanted him out. I would have been very happy at the time for the Jets to keep Darnold and trade 3 overall for a Kings randsome of draft picks and build around him, but I think there would have been planes flying with banners if the Jets actually did it.

31 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Moore is a total Jag with a tude.  Wilson just had the best rookie year for any Jets WR ever.

Is 1000 yards that amazing in 17 games?

The last 2 years about 1800 yards leads the league.  

Anyway it should also be noted that the play calling to begin the game, going back to when they had AVT and Hall was atrocious as well.  He got too cute in the red zone. 

31st in first quarter scoring.  Yay nice script 

Agree with OP.. why is a GM ONLY ONLY tied to a QB??  Makes no sense.  I think the consensus amongst the NFL, and our own fans, is that the Jets have a lot of young talent.  A LOT.   Who did that?   Who acquired them?   So you make one bad choice at QB and your job is over and done?  JD has whiffed at other picks.. but they arent the QB so it doesnt matter.  But he has also brought in sooooo much talent... but not a QB sooooo... yeah, gone.  It's stupid.  I would seriously consider my Jets fandom if he is fired for Zach.  Because of Zach.  JD knows what he is doing.  Let him do it. 

I agree that judging Douglas and Saleh on Wilson alone is foolish.  There is so much more that goes into both the GM and HC jobs.

With that said, the reality is that you only get so many chances to the get the quarterback position right.  It's the most important position in sports and the ultimate factor in having a successful or unsuccessful team.  I can't see Douglas taking another chance on an unknown rookie.  He will bring in an established veteran with a proven track record, and if all else stays the same, that should be enough to allow the Jets to make some noise in 2023.

17 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Wilson was not the consensus number 2 pick. He was a workout warrior who flew up the boards. Because of a stupid pass in basketball shorts. It was always Trevor and than fields. 

No, this is incorrect.

Yes, Wilson flew up draft boards. And it wasn't just because of a pass he made in basketball shorts. It was the numbers he put up in college. It was his skill set. It was his measurables. It was his interview. It was his tape. All of these things put together made JD and many other GMs want to take a chance on him, despite being a 'one year wonder out of BYU'.

And once the draft actually got started. Wilson WAS the consensus #2 QB. Now, there will always be arguments about this because we don't REALLY know what GMs were thinking, how much of it was posturing and smokescreens. But the fact remains, Wilson was projected to be the second QB taken by most prognosticators. And he WAS, in fact, as predicted, the second QB taken. Justin Fields was the 4th QB taken. There's a reason TL, Zach and Lance went 1, 2, 3 and Fields went 11th  (with Mac going 15th) and its not because Fields was the 'consensus number 2 pick'. If anything, an argument can be made that Lance was the #2 rated QB. He also flew up draft boards pretty late. And SF took him at #3. But Fields. Nope.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Biggs said:

SF also drafted a development QB this year before Lance got hurt and actually developed him.  It's also pretty early to write Lance off.

Jets drafted Morgan as a developmental QB.  SF drafted Purdy.  SF also didn't hand Lance the job and had Jimmy G on the roster for both of them to learn from before throwing them into the pool.

I think your concern is on point.  Reminds me of when the Jets lost a playoff game to the Steelers on a missed FG and thought they were a kicker away from the SB and drafted Nuge with a 2.  

There blaming the season on Zach and Lefleur and pretending the Jets are a QB with a cap killing deal away from a SB.  I'm not convinced Saleh could take the 85 bears with Dan Marino to the SB.  

Excellent points you make.  I wrote too quickly.  Being that SF is a superior organization compared to the Jets they had a back up Plan to their back up Plan, also true that Lance shouldn’t be written off.

Like you I’m not liking that any move for a big name QB will require the farm to be mortgaged with absolutely no guarantees since you’re getting the same vibe from this coaching staff as I am, too many times over the last 2 years, out schemed and ultimately out coached.

20 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

And when do you roll the dice on the QB?  When you build the team and start winning 9-10 games and have a late round first round and no QBs are available?  It's easy to say  "build the team first" but you still need that QB and getting one late in the first round or in free agency is even more of a crapshoot than drafting one early. 

Yeah this is the part I'm sympathetic to taking a shot.

There should arguably be some in-between team situation when a rookie takes the field, but that doesn't mean wait until then to draft him. You take the guy when you have the chance. What if next year the ball bounces the right way a couple times and they want to draft a QB and now they pick 14th-20th in a draft class with 1-2 decent prospects who'll get snatched up before the 3rd pick?

I'm nobody's expert on grading college prospects, so maybe I give some more leeway than I should sometimes, but it always looks easy in hindsight. A few of those saying it was obvious that Wilson was going to suck also thought it was obvious Allen was going to suck, citing stats about his completion rate and more, that - to them, at the time - was all the evidence they felt was needed.

Wilson is ****ing horrible, but he's not the only one. It's fair to criticize a GM for picking him & it falling flat on his face just like it's fair to credit him for a GM over-drafting someone and still having it pan out well anyway. Travis Frederick was the dumbest ****ing pick in the draft that year, until he spent every year of his (unfortunately, shortened) career as a probowler & 1st or 2nd team all-pro. 

What I don't like is the idea of building the whole team to near-perfection first and THEN drafting a QB. Yeah, then a superbowl chance is thrown in the trash on the altar of a rookie taking his lumps, with the fan base wondering for years "what if" the team had a good QB in place instead of largely wasting an opportunity that doesn't come up all that often. But the other extreme isn't good either, putting him on the field with a ton of other rookies on the field with him and on the sideline coaching them.

Need balance, like Mr. Miyagi used to say.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Excellent points you make.  I wrote too quickly.  Being that SF is a superior organization compared to the Jets they had a back up Plan to their back up Plan, also true that Lance shouldn’t be written off.

Like you I’m not liking that any move for a big name QB will require the farm to be mortgaged with absolutely no guarantees since you’re getting the same vibe from this coaching staff as I am, too many times over the last 2 years, out schemed and ultimately out coached.

SF got lucky.  The Jets were unlucky.  SF drafted Lance (and wanted Wilson) and he has been a complete wash out. SF wanted Garappolo gone and tried to trade him and disinvited him to training camp. They had no plans for him to be on the team in 2022 at all.  Then they couldn't unload him and Lance gets hurt and there he was, in his living room and still under contract.  And if you think they knew what they had in Purdy when they took him with the last pick into draft, please......

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

I agree that judging Douglas and Saleh on Wilson alone is foolish.  There is so much more that goes into both the GM and HC jobs.

With that said, the reality is that you only get so many chances to the get the quarterback position right.  It's the most important position in sports and the ultimate factor in having a successful or unsuccessful team.  I can't see Douglas taking another chance on an unknown rookie.  He will bring in an established veteran with a proven track record, and if all else stays the same, that should be enough to allow the Jets to make some noise in 2023.

Based on what I am reading in this thread and on this board, if I am a GM, I would delay as long as possible in drafting a QB or not draft a QB at all.  The bust rate is very high.  So every year I fill other positions and say there was no QB that we - the organization - thought was good enough.  If there are busts at other positions, I survive because it's not a QB.  And if the team improves enough to win 8-9 games a year, I survive because the team is getting better and is only missing a franchise QB.  And when players like Mayfield and Darnold and Rosen and Winston and Mariotta and Wilson fail, I just say - "I told you so - we didn't like 'em either."  

If I draft a young QB and he doesn't work out, I'm a goner after 2-3 years, so why take that chance?  

That's the fairy tale. If you want to be a GM that builds a perennial SB contender, you have to take the chance.  The teams that are going to compete for years to come - KC,   Buffalo, Cincy , the Chargers- took a chance and hit the lottery.  Teams that trade or go the free agent route maybe get a 1 or 2 year window - Rams, Bucs.  If anyone says they knew Mahomes and Allen and Burrow were the real deal but the others were not, they are full of crap.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bugg said:

Well now we know that! Could have trade it down and also traded darnold and signed a couple of cheaper vets.

Just keep building the team that way Oh yeah and Joe Douglas would have had to barricaded himself because we would tract him down and shoot his ass.

7 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Nothing has to do with being right or wrong on a message board,

ZW may have been the wrong choice

Just stop. “May have” my ass. The Zach Truthrrs need to  just stfu and own being wrong ffs.

The Zach fans who beat up and attacked any naysayers the last two years can bite me. You’re damned right I’m not going to kid glove the people who chased some of us off the board over Zach.

You were wrong as wrong could be.

Own it. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Just stop. “May have” my ass. The Zach Truthrrs need to  just stfu and own being wrong ffs.

The Zach fans who beat up and attacked any naysayers the last two years can bite me. You’re damned right I’m not going to kid glove the people who chased some of us off the board over Zach.

You were wrong as wrong could be.

Own it. 

who the F are you?

unimpressed michael keaton GIF