Who is the biggest Jets draft bust of all time?

Who is the biggest Jets draft bust of all time   

128 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the biggest Jets draft bust

• Johnny “Lam” Jones
    • Blair Thomas
    • Dewayne Robertson
    • Vernon Gholston
    • Dee Milliner
    • Russell Carter
    • Kyle Brady
    • Dave Cadigan
    • Ron Faurot
    • Jeff Lagemen
    • Zach Wilson
    • Sam Darnold

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Zach Wilson in a landslide due to the opportunity cost of taking him instead of the 49ers trade package.

OPPORTUNITY COST

Dolphins trade 2021 1st round pick, 3rd overall (Trey Lance) to the 49ers for the following:

• 49ers 2021 1st round pick (12th overall, subsequently traded, Micah Parsons)
  • 49ers 2022 1st round pick (29th overall, subsequently traded, Cole Strange)
  • 49ers 2023 1st round pick
  • 49ers 2022 2nd round pick (102nd overall, Channing Tindall)

By your logic Ken O’Brien would be the biggest bust in team history 

3 hours ago, JetsAddict said:

I think it’s safe to put Zach on the list. My guess is top 3 will be Zach, Thomas, and Gholston. 

I would argue Darnold was more damaging to the franchise than Zach given the fact they gave up 3 second round picks to move up to get him. 

Thomas gets a lot of hate, but he was constantly used in a 4 back rotation his first 2 years in the NFL, despite averaging like 5 ypc as a rookie gaining 600 yds in his first season and 800 yds in his second season even considering the rotation.  Not sure why the Jets drafted him #2 overall when they already had McNeil, Hector and Baxter his first two seasons in the NFL.  injuries hurt him in seasons 3 and 4, but not sure he even had a chance to shine the way the Jets used him.

Bust? perhaps....but not epically so.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Claymation said:

Darren Lee and Johnny Lam Jones were both awful as well.

Lam Jones was of course did not warrant the #2 overall pick (we seem to have a problem in that spot lol) but did manage to have like 23 NFL TD catches over his career and a very respectful  yds per avg catch...when he actually did catch the ball.  But he was in the league like 6-7 yrs and bounced around after the NYJ so is he an epic bust?

I know some may not agree, but Wilson will only be #1 bust if he doesn't rebound, and he does still have some time left even if that looks grim. So the correct answer is Gholston currently at #1 until Wilson's stint with the JETS is over.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Right now, my top 3 would be Gholston, Darnold, and Wilson, in no particular order. Wilson is trending towards being number 1, but he's only entering year 3, so there is still a small (but nonzero) chance he rebounds. Gholston legit couldn't play and never recorded a single career sack - which is hard to fathom. Darnold was heralded as the best QB prospect in that draft, and remember, we traded 3 second round picks to move up and take him and passed on both Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson, in the process. 

Right now, I'd vote: 

1) Darnold, 2) Wilson, Gholston. 

I suspect that after next year, it will be:

1) Wilson, 2) Darnold, 3) Gholston. 

This would be my post if you hadn’t put it up first.

I agree 100% with everything you wrote here.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

As opposed to a # 2 overall pick who was worse than Ryan Leaf?

I'd like to know who the Jets should have taken at 6 instead.

Stop with the Ryan Leaf comparisons. We all know how much you hate Zach Wilson and how much you hopped on this thread like a dog in heat, but you are embarrassing yourself....... Again.

Gholston would be my #1, then Lam Jones, and then Dee Millner. Zach isnt a bust yet because he has played less than 2 years in the NFL. If he goes on to do nothing, then fine, he would be there. But he's not there yet. Gholston was outright horrible and he was given every opportunity. Lam Jones was putrid and had no career to speak of. Millner was also terrible.

Obviously this thread was started to sh*t on Zach Wilson again. Just a different approach.

Imagine threads talking about the fact we had 3 legit rookies of the year this past season and the complete turnaround of our defense. So many great and positive things to talk about. Nah, Zach Wilson sucks. Thats more interesting.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, JetsAddict said:

How could Becton possibly be worse than Gholston? Becton would be more like a Milliner type bust IMO. He actually was good as a rookie. 

I hear you... Gholsten busted amongst one of the best Jets rosters of all time.  We went to 2 AFC Champ games.  We had a below average offense, not D, so his bust didn't kill us.  As someone else pointed out, the picks all around him busted as well. 

In 2020,  We had zero O-Line and JD drafts Becton  when Wirfs was available and we still haven't had an O-line that is at least average and not patchwork.  If we had Wirfs, this team is in a much better position.

That's why I added him. 

14 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Right now, my top 3 would be Gholston, Darnold, and Wilson, in no particular order. Wilson is trending towards being number 1, but he's only entering year 3, so there is still a small (but nonzero) chance he rebounds. Gholston legit couldn't play and never recorded a single career sack - which is hard to fathom. Darnold was heralded as the best QB prospect in that draft, and remember, we traded 3 second round picks to move up and take him and passed on both Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson, in the process. 

Right now, I'd vote: 

Does anyone on this board have any doubt that Danny Dimes would have busted here? He showed very little early on.   

The Giants developed him, put a scheme on understanding that QB's are rare.  Daniel Jones would be Zach Wilson had he played here.

The Jets simply don't understand football.

26 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I hear you... Gholsten busted amongst one of the best Jets rosters of all time.  We went to 2 AFC Champ games.  We had a below average offense, not D, so his bust didn't kill us.  As someone else pointed out, the picks all around him busted as well. 

In 2020,  We had zero O-Line and JD drafts Becton  when Wirfs was available and we still haven't had an O-line that is at least average and not patchwork.  If we had Wirfs, this team is in a much better position.

That's why I added him. 

Unlike Zach, Becton actually has a reasonable chance to earn a starting job in 2023. Id hang tight on adding him to this list. 

25 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Does anyone on this board have any doubt that Danny Dimes would have busted here? He showed very little early on.   

The Giants developed him, put a scheme on understanding that QB's are rare.  Daniel Jones would be Zach Wilson had he played here.

The Jets simply don't understand football.

Jones actually had a pretty impressive rookie year. He never was worst QB in NFL type bad like Zach. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JetsAddict said:

Unlike Zach, Becton actually has a reasonable chance to earn a starting job in 2023. Id hang tight on adding him to this list. 

I don't see it.  I can't think of a player who had his injury, 2 years in a row, have a reasonable career.  I think he comes back, gets hurt and is done. 

Not an attack on him, just the reality of this demanding sport on the body.

15 hours ago, JetsAddict said:

I think it’s safe to put Zach on the list. My guess is top 3 will be Zach, Thomas, and Gholston. 

I would argue Darnold was more damaging to the franchise than Zach given the fact they gave up 3 second round picks to move up to get him. 

It's Johnny Lam Jones. It's not even close. The Jets traded 2 first round picks to move up to the 2nd overall and selected Jones who wasn't even a football player, he was an Olympic sprinter. They also paid him the first million dollar  contract ever. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Quite easily gholston.

I would have added hackenburg to the list even if he was a 2nd rounder.

Dee Milliner and DRob should not be on the list.  Becton should be on the list.

This is unbelievable.  It is Johnny  Lam Jones. Look up what we paid him and what we gave to trade up and take him

Johnny “Lam” Jones. Unfortunately for Jets fans, their team has had a few clunkers over the years and arguments could be made for RB Blair Thomas (No. 2, 1990), DE Vernon Gholston (No. 6, 2008), FB Roger Vick (No. 21, 1987) and CB Dee Milliner (No. 9, 2013). But the Jets traded up to No. 2 in 1980 (more on that below), took the speedy but raw Olympic gold medal sprinter and gave him the NFL's first deal over $1 million. The late Jones finished with just 138 catches and 13 TDs in five seasons.

The Jets traded the 2 first round picks and passed on Munoz, Art Monk, Mark Haynes, and Charlie White

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

lol 

Zach sucks but putting him 1st is complete recency bias 

Gholston didn't record a Sack as a pass rusher and could barely even get on the field...

We would have been better off if Zack never got on the field.  True, Gholston didn't contribute much to the D but he didn't do a great deal of harm either.  Zack OTHO killed his side of the ball for 2 years running. 

I've no words for anyone who doesn't vote Zack.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Quite easily gholston.

I would have added hackenburg to the list even if he was a 2nd rounder.

Dee Milliner and DRob should not be on the list.  Becton should be on the list.

I picked Gholston as well. I thought we had drafted the next Abraham the way the analysts had built him up. Turned out to be a body builder only who benefited from playing on a beast dline at OSU. Milliner should be on the list he did zilch when healthy and that was only for anout 6 games. I say Brady and Drob, and Darnold should be exempt. They all showed enough to show it was their crappy system or coaching that stumped their early careers. I agree Becton should be added, what a bust so far. He's the reason we should draft a LT in the first this year again lol.

8 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Has to be Zach. Most important position at 2 

Its sad when all time busts like: Mitch Trubisky, Joey Harrington, Blake Bortles, Heath Shuler, and Blaine Gabbert all early first rounders, had better stats and played better ball than Zach Wilson has on a very talented offense.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, JetsAddict said:

That old poster Greek Jet. 

53 minutes ago, JetsAddict said:

Becton will eventually become at least serviceable. Little bit immature, probably touch lazy and caught a bad break with first injury. Caught worse break with goofy team Docs bringing him back to soon. He has had time to grow up, I think he will. Not sure that stalwart LT we hoped for the next decade or so but can see him definitely contributing. Hope so anyways.,

Bust = high expectations not fulfilled.

Blair Thomas and it ain’t even close because QBs are a crapshoot and everyone agreed that gholston was a top 6 player in his draft and that he had the highest bust potential. Blair Thomas’  was drafted when NFL Os were focused on having a star RB and his failure was a complete surprise. So, the letdown was far more than any other player.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Zach Wilson in a landslide due to the opportunity cost of taking him instead of the 49ers trade package.

OPPORTUNITY COST

Dolphins trade 2021 1st round pick, 3rd overall (Trey Lance) to the 49ers for the following:

• 49ers 2021 1st round pick (12th overall, subsequently traded, Micah Parsons)
  • 49ers 2022 1st round pick (29th overall, subsequently traded, Cole Strange)
  • 49ers 2023 1st round pick
  • 49ers 2022 2nd round pick (102nd overall, Channing Tindall)

You just gave me a wonderful idea for a post. What would the Jets roster look like today if they had made that trade instead of staying at 2 and picking Wilson?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I don't see it.  I can't think of a player who had his injury, 2 years in a row, have a reasonable career.  I think he comes back, gets hurt and is done. 

Not an attack on him, just the reality of this demanding sport on the body.

Are you a doctor? Becton didn’t get surgery the first time. This time he got the same surgery that saved Trent Williams career. 

I can only opine on players picked after 1985 (when I started watching). 

For me, it is clearly a 3 way race between Zach, Gholston and Blair Thomas. Darnold didn't pan out, but he had stretches where he played well and the roster around him was caca. 

I'm going with Zach 3rd only because he could theoretically turn it around in year 3 (much like I could theoretically win the lottery). 

Thomas had a couple of flashes and a decent rookie season, but the Jets passed on 2 hall of famers in Kennedy and Seau. Gholston was by far the worst out of the 3. He didn't even have any flashes, but the players selected after him were not particularly good either. 

Ultimately, I think how the player actually performed has to be a greater factor than who was passed on. I would not consider Kenny O'Brien a bust because the Jets passed on Marino. 

3) Zach Wilson

2) Blair Thomas

1) Vernon Gholston. 

16 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

lol 

Zach sucks but putting him 1st is complete recency bias 

Gholston didn't record a Sack as a pass rusher and could barely even get on the field...

A QB has much more of an impact on the team though.  Right now, I think ZW has to be in the lead.  But I'm not going to vote yet because I want to see how things play out.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Alka said:

I ranked Gholston as the #1 draft bust of all time.  Why do you say?

Because this was a football player who couldn't play football.  He never got a sack, and quite frankly, I don't know if he ever got credited for a single tackle in his entire career.  We picked him at #6 overall, and if we had picked him with the last pick of the 7th round of the entire draft, we would still be scratching our heads as to what prompted the NY Jets to draft him at all, in any round!

And who should the Jets have picked instead of Gholston. The next halfway decent player drafted was Mayo..  and NOBODY would have picked him at #6. Not one team.

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Right now, I'd vote: 

Darnold is #1?!  The 21 year old kid who was the youngest starting QB in NFL history and who was given no OL, no weapinz, and no coaching?   And (IIRC) the last handful of games of his rookie year he was one of the highest rated QBs in the NFL? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Darnold is #1?!  The 21 year old kid who was the youngest starting QB in NFL history and who was given no OL, no weapinz, and no coaching?   And (IIRC) the last handful of games of his rookie year he was one of the highest rated QBs in the NFL? 

Given that: He was widely considered the top QB in that draft, and we traded 3 2nd round picks to get him at 3 overall, and we passed on Lamar Jackson and josh Allen to take him, and we were in the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes three years later, I’d say yes. 

also, not sure how the last 4 games of his rookie year would help him not being a bust.