POTENTIAL NEUTRAL SITE AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME IN ATLANTA SEEING EXTRAORDINARY DEMAND

Maxman

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-chiefs-fans-buy-50000-tickets-in-24-hours-for-potential-neutral-site-afc-title-game-per-report/

Bills and Chiefs season ticket holders bought the tickets within 24 hours. It's not going to be random fans -- the STH are traveling to the game, a sea of red on one side a sea of blue on the other.

I'm not necessarily advocating for this but I think the game is going to come across extremely well and I think there's a great chance the NFL shifts in this direction, especially if they expand the league/playoffs.

The game will "come across well" no matter what because of its importance.  But I love the idea of a team earning HFA and playing in front of  their raucous fans (mainly STHs).  And I also love the idea that the road team has to deal with an incredibly difficult situation.

A neutral site would be SO FREAKING LAME!!

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I do think it's slightly different given that the Bills straight up beat the Chiefs earlier in the season whereas the Bengals argument is hypothetical -- but the Bengals did get screwed here.

Bengals beat the Chiefs 27-24 in week 13 and the Bills beat the Chiefs 24-20 in week 6. Only thing hypothetical is the Bills at Bengals in week 17. Bengals definitely got screwed.

9 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Bengals beat the Chiefs 27-24 in week 13 and the Bills beat the Chiefs 24-20 in week 6. Only thing hypothetical is the Bills at Bengals in week 17. Bengals definitely got screwed.

The Bengals and Chiefs game is totally irrelevant. The Chiefs went 14-3 the Bengals went 12-4. The Bengals would be seeded lower than they would no matter what.

The cancelled game directly impacts the seeding of Bills/Chiefs and Bills/Bengals, however.

In the case of Bills/Chiefs they made it neutral because the only thing missing from the Bills resume to make them the 1 seed was a half game due to the fact that the teams played an uneven number of games. Of course, the Bills could have lost but the tiebreaker isn't hypothetical.

The Bengals and Bills, however, played the same number of games and the Bills had a better record. So it's not apples to apples, exactly. Bengals got screwed but I can see why the league did it the way they did.

There was no easy solution here. The game that was cancelled was a crucial game, really. You don't see many regular season NFL games that key.

23 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The cancelled game directly impacts the seeding of Bills/Chiefs and Bills/Bengals, however.

The cancelled game in week 17 screwed the Bengals more, because I don't see the Bills winning that game. Bengals are hosting the Bills this week if they finished that game. Call it hypothetical, but the Bills benefited the most from the cancelled game on the road in Cincinnati. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-chiefs-fans-buy-50000-tickets-in-24-hours-for-potential-neutral-site-afc-title-game-per-report/

Bills and Chiefs season ticket holders bought the tickets within 24 hours. It's not going to be random fans -- the STH are traveling to the game, a sea of red on one side a sea of blue on the other.

I'm not necessarily advocating for this but I think the game is going to come across extremely well and I think there's a great chance the NFL shifts in this direction, especially if they expand the league/playoffs.

This is completely different.  Not near enough time for corps and corp types to buy up tickets.  Make this a regular thing, a mini SB and why should be be any different than a SB loaded with corp types?  You make it like the SB where not every seat is up for grabs like this one off, where less than half the tickets go to each fan base and the rest are kept and sold by the NFL using them to sell sponsorship deals or to pay off sponsors with comp tix.  
And the home field advantage gets wiped out, the incentive to finish with the best record goes away.  Finish with the best record in the league and lose the advantage paired up with a WC team that gets hot and gets to the Championship Game?  How different the world would be if we played the Mud Bowl game on a neutral field under ideal conditions.  

10 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

The cancelled game in week 17 screwed the Bengals more, because I don't see the Bills winning that game. Bengals are hosting the Bills this week if they finished that game. Call it hypothetical, but the Bills benefited the most from the cancelled game on the road in Cincinnati. 

lol only because you’re predicting that they would have lost.

If they would have won they’re being punished the most.

39 minutes ago, section314 said:

Yes. We hit the Knicks/ Pacers the night before. That arena is gorgeous.

Looked great to begun with, and they are still currently remodeling it. It looks even better right now. They are building an outdoor venue right next to it that's going to be an ice rink in the winter, and public courts in the summer. 

All of that is supposed to be completed before we host the 2024 All Star game. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

If they would have won they’re being punished the most.

That's weird. You're saying the Bengals would have been punished for beating the Bills in week 17? How so? 

Bengals beat the Bills. Both teams likely finish with a 13-4 record. 

Bengals are the 2 seed, Bills the 3 seed.

Bengals would have hosted the Dolphins and the Bills would have hosted the Ravens, who are much tougher than the Dolphins.

Please explain how that punishes the Bengals. 

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

That's weird. You're saying the Bengals would have been punished for beating the Bills in week 17? How so? 

Bengals beat the Bills. Both teams likely finish with a 13-4 record. 

Bengals are the 2 seed, Bills the 3 seed.

Bengals would have hosted the Dolphins and the Bills would have hosted the Ravens, who are much tougher than the Dolphins.

Please explain how that punishes the Bengals. 

The second sentence was meant to be about the Bills.

I was pointing out how your whole argument is just a based on the subjective take that the Bengals likely would have won the MNF game.

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The second sentence was meant to be about the Bills.

I was pointing out how your whole argument is just a based on the subjective take that the Bengals likely would have won the MNF game.

So now you're saying the Bills would have hypothetically beat the Bengals in Cincy on MNF and would have been punished for it. lmao

Just now, playtowinthegame said:

So now you're saying the Bills would have hypothetically beat the Bengals in Cincy and would have been punished for it. lmao

I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. I'm simply responding to your stupid argument.

The cancelled game in week 17 screwed the Bengals more, because I don't see the Bills winning that game.

You're claiming the Bengals are being punished more because you think they would have won.

If you operate under the assumption that the Bengals would have won of course they are being screwed more.

If, however, you operate under the assumption the Bills would have won, they're getting screwed the most. That's the point I'm making -- that subjective opinions about the outcome of the game are largely irrelevant.

The actual discussion is about the merits of each teams standing given we don't know who would have won that game.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So it's going to be a neutral site going forward?!   That's HORRIBLE if true!

Wouldn't it also lessen the demand for STs?  And sort of be a reneg on PSLs?  (Maybe purchased with the dream of seeing your team in the conference championship at home).

It’s not definite. It’s something that’s being talked about.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. I'm simply responding to your stupid argument.

You're claiming the Bengals are being punished more because you think they would have won.

If you operate under the assumption that the Bengals would have won of course they are being screwed more.

If, however, you operate under the assumption the Bills would have won, they're getting screwed the most. That's the point I'm making -- that subjective opinions about the outcome of the game are largely irrelevant.

The actual discussion is about the merits of each teams standing given we don't know who would have won that game.

I read just fine. You're operating under the assumption the Bills were going to beat a red-hot Bengals team in Cincinnati, which would have given them the 1 seed. They weren't even winning that game before the Hamlin suffered cardiac arrest. Look at the Bills schedule. Show me their most impressive win. The Chiefs on the road. Didn't Von Miller have an awesome game vs the Chiefs that day and have a huge impact on the game? That's what I thought. I think the Bills at Bengals game being cancelled saved the Bills from going on the road to play the Bengals this week, and that is operating under the assumption the Bills would have gotten by the Ravens in the Wild Card round, who were a much stiffer opponent than the cupcake Dolphins. 

42 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I read just fine. You're operating under the assumption the Bills were going to beat a red-hot Bengals team in Cincinnati, which would have given them the 1 seed.

42 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

They weren't even winning that game before the Hamlin suffered cardiac arrest. Look at the Bills schedule. Show me their most impressive win. The Chiefs on the road. Didn't Von Miller have an awesome game vs the Chiefs that day and have a huge impact on the game? That's what I thought. I think the Bills at Bengals game being cancelled saved the Bills from going on the road to play the Bengals this week, and that is operating under the assumption the Bills would have gotten by the Ravens in the Wild Card round, who were a much stiffer opponent than the cupcake Dolphins. 

Wait is this DWC2?

14 hours ago, JETS SB said:

This might be a sign of things to come. There was thought in the past to make this a neutral site game every year, I believe, and but it was voted down. I wouldnt put it past the NFL to make this happen as a permanent thing. Especially if we are going to add European teams to the league.

It's gonna happen. Too much money involved in mini-superbowls

The NFL have spat in the face of the Bengals in 3 different ways now:

1) The coin flip

2) Giving BUF Home field advantage for the divisional game but making the AFCCG Neutral

3) Selling tickets to a game that would only happen if CIN loses

I don't know about you guys, but I hope the Bengals pummel the Bills now. This franchise has been awfully disrespected by the NFL in the last few weeks.

The Bengals did not get screwed on where the Bills/Bengals game is being played.  

For the Bengals to have been the HOST of todays game, Cincy would have needed to beat the Bills (we'll never know, didn't get played) AND the Bills would have had to have lost in week 18 to the Patriots AND Cincy win their final game.  The Bills won in week 18 and would therefore have been the 2 seed NO MATTER WHAT the outcome of the Bills/Cincy game that got canelled might have been.

Cincy did have a point about the potential of a coin flip with the Ravens but that also was rendered moot when Cincy simply won in week 18 as well.

now...regarding permanent Conference title games at nuetral sites.  The leauge does what it wants, but I can not see a team owner with a championship caliber team, wanting to take that out of their own market, AND furthermore, as most of these statdiums are funded by local taxpayers, the politicians in home markets are going to be PISSED when they miss out on the revenue they'd be getting as a reward for supporting an NFL team with a funded stadium.  NFL teams are something of a public trust where you have a franchise owner make a ton of money, in return, you get a major asset for your town, a source of civic pride, and generator of tax dollars coming back, especially if the team is good.  Tickets will sell out wherever they have one, and the nFL makes most of its money on TV...there isn't a big reason to do this...especially if it's to squeeze just an extra couple pennys out (if thats even possible)  

Despite some attempts here to make excuses for the leagues bias, the possibility of Bills hosting the Chiefs was 100% dependent on them beating the Bengals, which they didn't, but if they win today will still be gifted a neutral site. The Bills hosting the Bengals is also largely dependent on them having won that game as well, but they were still gifted home field today, which completely contradicts the reason for the neutral site. If the Bills had lost that game, they're at Cincy today.

The NFL ultimately decided to assume the Bills a victory and the Bengals a loss based on their decisions.

If claiming that they just don't count the canceled game at all, which is the sole justification for the Bills hosting today, then the Bills have a lower win % than the Chiefs so should be on the road if they play. Similarly, the "half game" story is inaccurate as if Bills/Bengals had resulted in a tie, the Bills would in fact host the Bengals but have to go on the road if playing the Chiefs.

Those are just the facts, with no subjectivity, but is not what the NFL went with. They cherry picked pieces to fit their narrative, and any attempts to justify it are purely confirmation bias.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1