Jets MIGHT want to get in bed with Frank Reich

Paradis

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Who made the decisions at QB for the Colts while Frank Reich was there? Was Frank Reich pushing for Carson Wentz and Matty IcE? 

Seeing how the Colts weren't really in position to draft a guy of their own I'd assume the GM had a lot to do with it. Luck's abrupt retirement left them in scramble mode and had a domino effect 

• Upvote 1

It's a pipe dream to get someone like him...at the present time.  First of all, he's been interviewing for HCing gigs.  Secondly, what do we have to offer him?  Don't get me wrong, it would be great having an experienced guy like FR, but our offense is one big question mark with no QB1 and no O line set in place.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, shuler82 said:

You’re really trying to make an argument that going to SD with Herbert is less appealing and a worse career move then signing up with Saleh, Zach and an unnamed vet QB? 

Absolutely is. If you think no one wants to play or coach for the Jets, check out the Chargers forums. You know, the team that plays in San Diego. 

13 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Definitely the best case scenario, if in fact he doesnt land a head coaching job. It is a bit scary that he might be gone pretty quickly, if he succeeds here and gets a HC position next year, but that would only mean he did well here and I will take that.

Well that HC job he would get after the 1 year OC job if he takes it here could be HC of the NYJ.

I don't think I have seen a thread were we the fan base all mutually agree about how a hire makes so much sense for OC but it is the Jets so I will reserve my excitement until something happens.

Also there is just something about a former NFL QB as an oc coach that is attractive to hire including being a back up to help develop bench players.

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer

The Panthers are conducting a second interview with former Colts coach Frank Reich today in Charlotte, per source. He's gained steam as a candidate, with David Tepper seemingly pivoting to more experienced coaches through the process. Reich played for the Panthers in 1995.

10:29 AM · Jan 25, 2023

JosinaAnderson @JosinaAnderson

I’m told the #Panthers already have explored possible staff scenarios w/ Frank Reich, prior to today, per league source. From the beginning ownership expressed interest in an experienced HC w/an offensive background, before allowing process to unfold. Initial mindset may prevail

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

The #Panthers have interviewed interim coach Steve Wilks a second time, per me and TomPelissero, as their HC search ramps up. Other second interviews are coming, as well.

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer

The Panthers are conducting a second interview with former Colts coach Frank Reich today in Charlotte, per source. He's gained steam as a candidate, with David Tepper seemingly pivoting to more experienced coaches through the process. Reich played for the Panthers in 1995.

10:29 AM · Jan 25, 2023

JosinaAnderson @JosinaAnderson

I’m told the #Panthers already have explored possible staff scenarios w/ Frank Reich, prior to today, per league source. From the beginning ownership expressed interest in an experienced HC w/an offensive background, before allowing process to unfold. Initial mindset may prevail

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

The #Panthers have interviewed interim coach Steve Wilks a second time, per me and TomPelissero, as their HC search ramps up. Other second interviews are coming, as well.

Reich to the Panthers would make a lot of sense. 

Rex has said a few times that head coaches should never accept a coordinator job once they have established themselves as head coaches and I suspect a lot of head coaches feel that way. 

On 1/21/2023 at 12:42 PM, ScarletKnight89 said:

I think the Jets have to make a decision on QB first before coordinator. If the Jets were ever able to land a legitimate veteran QB, I think the Jets OC job becomes much more attractive and you can probably get better candidates.

The hiring cycle seems to be a lot slower this year then in the past.  A lot likely having to do with the continued courtship of Payton.   I read somewhere that most of the head coaching dominos won't fall until Payton lands somewhere or officially opts out of coaching next year.

Also, barring a renegotiation of the deadlines in Carr's contract, the Raiders have to make a move with him by 2/15.

In other words, the QB situation could become a lot clearer, a lot sooner, than we think.

All of this delay could actually be a positive for the Jets, conceivably they could land Carr first then get their OC.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

The hiring cycle seems to be a lot slower this year then in the past.  A lot likely having to do with the continued courtship of Payton.   I read somewhere that most of the head coaching dominos won't fall until Payton lands somewhere or officially opts out of coaching next year.

Also, barring a renegotiation of the deadlines in Carr's contract, the Raiders have to make a move with him by 2/15.

In other words, the QB situation could become a lot clearer, a lot sooner, than we think.

All of this delay could actually be a positive for the Jets, conceivably they could land Carr first then get their OC.

Best Not Feeling It GIFs | Gfycat

• Haha 1

I think the Jets have to make a decision on QB first before coordinator. If the Jets were ever able to land a legitimate veteran QB, I think the Jets OC job becomes much more attractive and you can probably get better candidates.

You want the Jets to wait till Feb 15th at the earliest and more likely March 15th to hire an OC?  Lol

sure, lots of good coaches will wait till then.  

I feel the opposite point of view.  I would think that an OC would want input on who would be under center with his scheme.  

• Upvote 1

Reich is not coming here.

The Panthers have to interview Wilks, and he did a good job, but the Panthers obviously need an offensive coach, like everyone else.  They will likely draft a QB.   That seems like a good plan for the Panthers.

Saleh and even McDermott are examples of the issues hiring a defensive HC.  

The Jets will be in the same place next off season if they don't sign a veteran QB to basically kick the can down the road.  They will be drafting top 5-10, looking for a QB, again, and will need to assemble a real staff to develop him (if his parents let him play for the Jets).  

If the Jets can sign a Rodgers or Carr, they can find an OC to tag along and perhaps save their jobs. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

Reich is not coming here.

The Panthers have to interview Wilks, and he did a good job, but the Panthers obviously need an offensive coach, like everyone else.  They will likely draft a QB.   That seems like a good plan for the Panthers.

Saleh and even McDermott are examples of the issues hiring a defensive HC.  

The Jets will be in the same place next off season if they don't sign a veteran QB to basically kick the can down the road.  They will be drafting top 5-10, looking for a QB, again, and will need to assemble a real staff to develop him (if his parents let him play for the Jets).  

If the Jets can sign a Rodgers or Carr, they can find an OC to tag along and perhaps save their jobs. 

Very few Offensive Weapons to speak of and Defense ranked #22 vs. Jets #4. Warmer climate & better quality of life IMO

image.thumb.png.86ace1f3461ce9fe6d3f76a9633b49bf.png

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

And if it could happen soon, his reputation could help us land one of the better QBs on the market.

Why didn't he help land one of the better QBs on the market in Indy? 

15 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Very few Offensive Weapons to speak of and Defense ranked #22 vs. Jets #4. Warmer climate & better quality of life IMO

image.thumb.png.86ace1f3461ce9fe6d3f76a9633b49bf.png

HC>>>>>>>>OC

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

I agree.

Additionally, there are teams who are waiting to interview coaches in the final four. The coach soup is still marinating.

1 hour ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I feel the opposite point of view.  I would think that an OC would want input on who would be under center with his scheme.  

I look at it the other way because I think the Jets best route to go is the veteran QB road. If they trade for a QB part of the negotiations could be that they can have a say in picking the OC. 

On 1/21/2023 at 2:35 AM, JETS SB said:

Definitely the best case scenario, if in fact he doesnt land a head coaching job. It is a bit scary that he might be gone pretty quickly, if he succeeds here and gets a HC position next year, but that would only mean he did well here and I will take that.

Which sounds less threatening to Saleh I’m sure 

42 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why didn't he help land one of the better QBs on the market in Indy? 

HC>>>>>>>>OC

If he takes an OC position, Indy would still be on the hook to pay him his HC salary.... correct?

If he takes the HC position in Carolina wouldn't they be off the hook paying him?

Similar to "offset" language in contracts. Any input on this from People In The Know