Jets MIGHT want to get in bed with Frank Reich

Paradis

27 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

If he takes an OC position, Indy would still be on the hook to pay him his HC salary.... correct?

If he takes the HC position in Carolina wouldn't they be off the hook paying him?

Similar to "offset" language in contracts. Any input on this from People In The Know

It depends.  I don't think that we know if there is offset language in his contract or not.  There might not be.  He just signed his extension through 2026 and I think it is presumed to be at $8M per.  It really doesn't matter.  Reich interviewed for their HC position, presumably that means he'd be interested.

24 minutes ago, Xtina said:

Was calabrese unfired? 

I think @football guy suggested that they didn't "fire" him, but did not want to get rid of him.  I think the story was that they like him as an offensive mind, but might want to go in a different direction at QB coach.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Rex has said a few times that head coaches should never accept a coordinator job once they have established themselves as head coaches and I suspect a lot of head coaches feel that way. 

I guess it depends on how you define "established".

Most of the former HCs that want a second bite at the apple need to rehabilitate their reputation as a coordinator. Bowles is a perfect example. He was never getting another HC role after he imploded with the Jets. Josh McDaniel is another one.

Reich might get the benefit of the doubt because the other teams know Irsay is a lunatic.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It depends.  I don't think that we know if there is offset language in his contract or not.  There might not be.  He just signed his extension through 2026 and I think it is presumed to be at $8M per.  It really doesn't matter.  Reich interviewed for their HC position, presumably that means he'd be interested.

I think @football guy suggested that they didn't "fire" him, but did not want to get rid of him.  I think the story was that they like him as an offensive mind, but might want to go in a different direction at QB coach.

Yes. The next coordinator will decide his role. Very strong chance its WR coach

• Upvote 1

On 1/21/2023 at 7:32 AM, Integrity28 said:

Yes, my preference. I love what he did with the Colts, and hate the way they scapegoated him after he clashed with Irsay.

Only thing that worries me is Reich comes here does a good job and interviews for a HC position the next year. If he's interviewing now he will be interviewing then and the big problem with that is 3 diff OC's in 3 years

3 hours ago, Dinamite said:

@football guy Wouldn't the new OC like to pick his own guys rather than be forced to keep holdovers? This tweet from Josina Anderson suggests it is an issue.

Ugh. This has Jetsy written all over it. Woody has a long history of forcing these arranged marriages.

4 hours ago, Dinamite said:

@football guy Wouldn't the new OC like to pick his own guys rather than be forced to keep holdovers? This tweet from Josina Anderson suggests it is an issue.

Firstly, I don’t think Josina is alluding to us. Baltimore, Tennesse, and Washington are teams who seem unwilling to part ways with otherwise full offensive coaching staffs minus the coordinator. This is why there’s a lot of speculation they may just promote from within. 

I don’t think Middleton and Embree would bother OC candidates much; both are very well respected and in the grand scheme of things they could “promote” Middleton to AHC and move Calabrese to defense if they wanted their own QB/TE/WR coaches.

In addition to that, the Jets may be adding more positions to their staff. Passing Game Coordinator, Run Game Coordinator, Senior Offensive Assistant among other creative titles could be added along with at least one new QB/WR/OL coach.

• Upvote 1