There is still no excuse for letting Trevor slip through our hands!!!

greasyt

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

we wouldn't have him if they took our #1 - and if you don't think the NFL would love to do that to the Jets....

Like I said.  No penalty would come in immediately.  It would be delayed a year or 2.  We’d have lost a pick 2 years later.  Well worth it.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, greasyt said:

You are 0-13 in what is an absolute abomination of a season.  You wasted the #3 overall pick (which you gave up a lot of capital to obtain) 2 years prior.  Upper management/Ownership must intervene and give direct orders to secure the #1 pick at that point. Especially with a prospect like Trevor.  The organization has been quarterback starved for half a century.................you just need to endure three, short weeks of losing and he's yours.  The Jags did it that year, as the Colts did it in '12.

IIRC the Bucs did it for Jameis too.

Yet people think tanking is telling the players in meetings to lie down lol

On 1/21/2023 at 4:57 PM, greasyt said:

It still stings.........and sucks.......that is all.

On a side note, if Rodgers brings us a title then it is worth it.......but all of the stars have to align obviously

We didn't let him slip through our fingers.  He was already gone when it was our turn to pick.

If you are referring to the game we won....let it go.  Players play to win.  End of story.

On 1/23/2023 at 8:59 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Like I said.  No penalty would come in immediately.  It would be delayed a year or 2.  We’d have lost a pick 2 years later.  Well worth it.  

LOL - doubt it, but even if true, Jets would have bailed on him before then - he looked worse than ZW for the first year and half and we would have ruined him with out pitiful OC. Same result.

7 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Jacksonville blantantly threw the season to get Trevor by sitting Menshew. The NFL totally turned their eyes to it.   No one criticizes them a lick for it. If it were the Jets, every headline with start with it. 

Minshew isn’t good.  They would have gotten Trevor either way.  I blame Sam Darnold for figuring out how to win 2 games with by far the league’s worst roster and a horrible toxic head coach

1 hour ago, VJphillyfan said:

Minshew isn’t good.  They would have gotten Trevor either way.  I blame Sam Darnold for figuring out how to win 2 games with by far the league’s worst roster and a horrible toxic head coach

Mishew isnt good? Minshew career stats are 44 TDs to 15 INTS with a 93% QB rating, 62% completion rate. If Zach had these numbers we'd have lobbied for a statue of him by now

On 1/23/2023 at 1:03 PM, CanadaSteve said:

We didn't let him slip through our fingers.  He was already gone when it was our turn to pick.

If you are referring to the game we won....let it go.  Players play to win.  End of story.

Jacksonville didn’t.  They benched Minshew for Glennon for no good reason.  

But we had to “learn to win” in December.  As is tradition.

2 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

LOL - doubt it, but even if true, Jets would have bailed on him before then - he looked worse than ZW for the first year and half and we would have ruined him with out pitiful OC. Same result.

Keep telling yourself that.  Just like 30 % or so of Jets fans are convinced Mahomes would have been Zach here. 

If coaching and circumstances were all that mattered or even MOST of what mattered, coaches would be paid a lot more and QBs a lot less.  And teams also wouldn’t devote the enormous resources they do into scouting.  What would be the point?  Draft anybody and mold him like clay. Easy!

On 1/21/2023 at 5:30 PM, greenwichjetfan said:

Asking a locker room and coaches to tank games and potentially ruin their future earnings is not a real thing. Of course losing and grabbing the #1 overall would have been nice, but there’s no guarantee that JD would have picked Lawrence . I mean, JD had Fields staring him in the face, yet here we are dealing with the worst QB in the league two years in a row.

If the Jets had the #1 pick, Lawrence was gonna be the pick. 

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Keep telling yourself that.  Just like 30 % or so of Jets fans are convinced Mahomes would have been Zach here. 

If coaching and circumstances were all that mattered or even MOST of what mattered, coaches would be paid a lot more and QBs a lot less.  And teams also wouldn’t devote the enormous resources they do into scouting.  What would be the point?  Draft anybody and mold him like clay. Easy!

LOL - so you are saying the Trevor would have been Trevor here - can't make this up. Then coaching doesn't matter at all. So why hire a coach? It isn't the money, like with everything else, there are 32 teams - some teams are going to have better coaches that other. some teams are going to have better QBs than others.

It takes both talent, determination, AND proper coaching. ZW looked better when his personal coach was on the team last year. Trevor looked much better with his current coaching; Daniel Jones was lost until Diabold took over the team.

You need personal (that compliment each other), talent, and coaching. Of to paraphrase you - just draft the right person and no molding necessary - Easy. Doh.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

LOL - so you are saying the Trevor would have been Trevor here - can't make this up. Then coaching doesn't matter at all. So why hire a coach? It isn't the money, like with everything else, there are 32 teams - some teams are going to have better coaches that other. some teams are going to have better QBs than others.

It takes both talent, determination, AND proper coaching. ZW looked better when his personal coach was on the team last year. Trevor looked much better with his current coaching; Daniel Jones was lost until Diabold took over the team.

You need personal (that compliment each other), talent, and coaching. Of to paraphrase you - just draft the right person and no molding necessary - Easy. Doh.

Yeah that’s what I said, that coaching doesn’t matter at all.  lol.  Come on dude. 

On 1/22/2023 at 10:26 AM, Zerovoltz said:

No.  Zach Wilson sucks.  Maybe he sucks less with better coaching but he sucks.

Lawrence on the other hand, had to spend a year with Urban Meyer.  Now, it's hard to say how much being a rookie and new had to do with the Jags struggles last year and it's hard to say how much Pederson has made a differnece of it it's just a really good prospect, growing into what he was projected to be....but it is a fact Lawrence has improved with Pederson at the helm.

So you know for a fact that Zach would not have improved enough to justify his draft position under Pederson?  I don't know, Zachs last 6 games of the previous year were encouraging in many ways.  I find it hard to believe if he had Pederson instead of Lafleur, he would not have shown some significant improvement. 

For one thing Pederson would have had him doing more designed running plays as well as roll out of the pocket plays, more motion etc.  Things that would play to what Zach did well.   Obviously it is all speculation at this point.   I think Zach may eventually get it together with the right coaching (mostly not here in NY and if his confidence has not be completely destroyed).  I know everyone says the Jets blew it with Zach but they were not the only team that would have taken him at number 2.   The fact is he probably would have been better if he sat half a year as a rookie and had a real proven OC but that didn't happen, unfortunately.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

So you know for a fact that Zach would not have improved enough to justify his draft position under Pederson?  I don't know, Zachs last 6 games of the previous year were encouraging in many ways.  I find it hard to believe if he had Pederson instead of Lafleur, he would not have shown some significant improvement. 

For one thing Pederson would have had him doing more designed running plays as well as roll out of the pocket plays, more motion etc.  Things that would play to what Zach did well.   Obviously it is all speculation at this point.   I think Zach may eventually get it together with the right coaching (mostly not here in NY and if his confidence has not be completely destroyed).  I know everyone says the Jets blew it with Zach but they were not the only team that would have taken him at number 2.   The fact is he probably would have been better if he sat half a year as a rookie and had a real proven OC but that didn't happen, unfortunately.  

How would Pederson have fixed his inability to complete a screen pass?  Would Pederson have fixed his fear of the slightest pressure by a pass rush?  

Lawrence walked into maybe the worst possible situation his rookie year under Urban Meyer.  Why didn’t that “break him” like LaFleur and co. supposedly “broke” Zach Wilson?

It’s fun to try to argue things that can’t be proven, I guess.  Like the people who think Wilson is basically Mahomes with better coaching and vice versa.  Helps Jets fans sleep better at night.  

Me?  I just think some QBs are good and some suck.  Fairly simple.  No mental gymnastics required.  

• Thumb Down 1

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because you actually think Lawrence wouldn’t have worked out here, which is an absurd take.  

ROFL... What's absurd is to assume that in a complex system, you can remove one piece and move it without making a difference. What is absurd is assuming that every QB struggled here over the years, but it was only talent. Or, that after getting benched after starting strong, Trevor would not have been benched prior to that. Or, seeing a quality QB like Rodgers or Russel Wilson suddenly lost their talent and it had nothing to do with the team they were on, or their coaching.

But, Yep, Trevor would have been a star here...

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

ROFL... What's absurd is to assume that in a complex system, you can remove one piece and move it without making a difference. What is absurd is assuming that every QB struggled here over the years, but it was only talent. Or, that after getting benched after starting strong, Trevor would not have been benched prior to that. Or, seeing a quality QB like Rodgers or Russel Wilson suddenly lost their talent and it had nothing to do with the team they were on, or their coaching.

But, Yep, Trevor would have been a star here...

Who is the better QB:  Trevor Lawrence or Zach Wilson?  And how much better?