Are you happy the Giants lost?

Maxman

Are you happy the Giants lost?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy the Giants lost?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Drive for five ran head on to some guy named Gretzky.  I lived in Queens and LI back then.  

My family was season ticket holders.  82-83 was our first year, but I was still in college.  Had they not swept the Finals, I might have been able to have been there when they won the Cup.  

3 hours ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

I never root for the Giants, although I do wish they would’ve lost to a team other than the Eagles who I also despise. But for those of us that don’t remember the old AFL NFL rivalry ,
I hate the Giants because the Mara family did everything in their power to demean the Jets
during those years. I put up with tons of abuse from family and fans of the NYG for rooting for a mickey mouse team in a mickey mouse league.
I promised myself years ago as a teenager that going forward I would never root for the Giants. And to this day I always root for an original AFL team whenever they play an NFC
team. And that includes the Patriots in the 2 Super Bowls the Giants won.
And as far as the Jets always beating the Giants in the 1980s if you look over the record Jets won 2 Giants won 2 although we did knock them out of the playoffs on an O’Brien to Toon pass with almost no time left
in 1988.
Furthermore FTG

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Did you know that I was at the game at Shea for the halftime ceremony for the 10 year anniversary of winning the Super Bowl?

You came out in uniform (you were playing in the game lol). 

Question: were you living in NY when you were an angry teenager hating the Giants?

Did you know that I was at the game at Shea for the halftime ceremony for the 10 year anniversary of winning the Super Bowl?
You came out in uniform (you were playing in the game lol). 

Question: were you living in NY when you were an angry teenager hating the Giants?

Nah I lived in Brooklyn

19 hours ago, extmenace said:

Never understood why people hated the giants. I’m assuming for the people that do, it’s mostly due to interactions with their fans / friends that are fans of the team? Me being born and raised in FL, giants are one of those teams I don’t care about at all. Like the panthers, falcons, rams, or any other NFC team. I’ve recently rooted against the Bucs but that was because of Brady…only teams I actually root against are the bills, dolphins, pats. 

Yeah I think it is a local thing. Office \ school trash talk, that kind of thing.

On 1/22/2023 at 3:07 PM, BP said:

I have a funny story about the Giants:

In October 2007 (the year the giants won the sb) @Maxman myself, and legendary jets fan @124 and a friend of mine got tickets to the jets/giants game. It was a giants home game and our old school Jetnation tailgate won tailgate of the day (miss you @Uncle Tony)

Anyways the Jets take the lead in the game and idiot 124 stands up and is walking up and down the aisle with a jets hard hat on blowing a whistle. Max and I start putting our heads down in embarrassment lol the giants came back to beat the jets. near the end of the game when there were like 25 pissed off giants fans staring in our direction, 124 asked me if I’d back him up if there was trouble (I just laughed at him). Max goes “let’s get the **** outta here” :rl:  we took off and let baby ewie defend himself. We were lucky to escape with our lives.

Sadly this is all true.

• Haha 3

On 1/22/2023 at 5:15 PM, tfine said:

I am. Not because I hate the Giants, but because I can’t stand some of their fans. They think their team is some sort of historic successful franchise. Like they are the Yankees of the NFL.

Have you ever read up on the history of the NFL?
Teams like the Giants, Browns and Bears kinda played a big role in it.

1 hour ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

Nah I lived in Brooklyn

See, what I remember being a Jets fan back when giants stadium first opened up in 1976. Both teams sucked. But Giants home games were not blacked out and giants stadium was always packed. Meanwhile, you couldn’t watch a Jets game when they played at home because nobody was going to the games.

In the summer of 1978 the Jets marketing department was on the radio all summer saying season tickets as low as $8.00 a ticket! Well, my brother and I dove in. 

My point? The Giants fans were very loyal for a very long time. The Jets had won the Super Bowl less than 10 years before that and their home games were blacked out. I got tired of listening to Marty glickman and Dave Herman on wabc radio for home games.

5 hours ago, Lith said:

They suck. But I still got to see them win 4 cups in my lifetime. I can live with that.

I started watching them regularly in 1975. Nobody remembers but potvin tore a ligament in his thumb and missed like 55 games in the 79-80 season. When he came back he was fresh and they got Butch goring and they were undefeated the last 15 or so games of the season.

Also that team invented the playoff beard. Still the greatest team ever , 19 consecutive playoff series won. That will never be beaten. The Canadiens had a bye back in the 70’s and only played 3 playoff series.