What Does Signing Derek Carr Bring To The Table?

SoFlaJets

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I can’t help but think Carr is more like a Kirk cousins or even tannehill than a guy who can carry the team.  Those comebacks are kind of fools gold. Sure it shows some poise but late in the game teams tend to play safe or get tired. Even the jets showed an ability to supposed turn on the offense in the fourth qtr at times.

Yep.  That list is kind of unimpressive because the higher tier QBs don’t need to come back that often.  

For what it’s going to cost to get Carr, who I imagine won’t do well in NY even if he’s as good as some here believe he is, he simply is not the best option.  Jackson, Minshew, Winston, etc all are superior choices.  Jackson is worth the cost.  Fail to get him and go with the capable bridge QB option.  

You go for Carr and you’re all in on him.  No thanks.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

He's tantrum didn't come during the collapse.  It came during a period when the team was winning.  He's didn't just dog it he rooted for team failure so he could pad his personal stats.  He's a loser.

Cool, I don't agree at all, but just be sure to be consistent when/if he does much better next year without any trash talk sans Zach.  

Unless, of course, Zach gets trotted out yet again, lol.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  That list is kind of unimpressive because the higher tier QBs don’t need to come back that often.  

For what it’s going to cost to get Carr, who I imagine won’t do well in NY even if he’s as good as some here believe he is, he simply is not the best option.  Jackson, Minshew, Winston, etc all are superior choices.  Jackson is worth the cost.  Fail to get him and go with the capable bridge QB option.  

You go for Carr and you’re all in on him.  No thanks.  

I think I’d stay away from Jackson. I like Winston but you’d have to wonder if he’s mature enough to handles the bright lights of ny.

43 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

What’s funny when reading all these responses about who the top priority and option for QB should be, is that the Jets aren’t going to be the preferred top option for any of these guys being mentioned.  It will most likely be a game of musical chairs and the last one standing will be forced to be the Jets QB.  

Why not, based on who really needs a QB , what situation is better ?  (Wsh, Ind, Ne , Atl, Hou,  may be missing a couple  ) 

1 hour ago, JiFields said:

100%, except here in the make believe where Derek Carr is better than Matt Stafford. 

If you have the stats on Carr cold weather games please share.  I thought I remember seeing something like 0-7 in games under 40 degrees.

Curious to explore that further bc as many have said assigning team records to qbs is silly.

What did his individual stats look like? Also there’s nuance to stats as well.

1.   7 games ain’t exactly a convincing sample size.

2.  Playing his whole career in OAK and LV, one can assume all the cold weather games were road games right (already at a disadvantage on road as a west coast team traveling east). 

3.  Who were the opponents? Were they playing playoff bound teams at end of season when the raiders’ season was out of contention already? How many games were against really good teams (chiefs, Bills, Brady’s pats, Ben’s steelers)?  

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

4,000 yards, 25 TD’s, 10 INT’s and 65% completions every year.

The Jets have the sh*ttiest QB history this side of the Chicago Bears and fans are turning their noses up at Derek Carr…

Astounding 

As I scanned the pages of this thread UT, I noticed it's the same people posting over and over and over again. These are the same people who have been trying to convince themselves that there's a chance that it'll be Zachey poo again in 2023. They will use any measurable that they can think of to talk down any of BYU's competition, hell even his mommy is here telling us how the Jets will suck without dimples playing QB-oh yea, her assessment of bad QB's #'s? 9-10 wins and a playoff BLOW OUT LOSS-remarkable 

5 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

As I scanned the pages of this thread UT, I noticed it's the same people posting over and over and over again. These are the same people who have been trying to convince themselves that there's a chance that it'll be Zachey poo again in 2023. They will use any measurable that they can think of to talk down any of BYU's competition, hell even his mommy is here telling us how the Jets will suck without dimples playing QB-oh yea, her assessment of bad QB's #'s? 9-10 wins and a playoff BLOW OUT LOSS-remarkable 

This post is modern art

33 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

If you have the stats on Carr cold weather games please share.  I thought I remember seeing something like 0-7 in games under 40 degrees.

Curious to explore that further bc as many have said assigning team records to qbs is silly.

2.  Playing his whole career in OAK and LV, one can assume all the cold weather games were road games right (already at a disadvantage on road as a west coast team traveling east). 

3.  Who were the opponents? Were they playing playoff bound teams at end of season when the raiders’ season was out of contention already? How many games were against really good teams (chiefs, Bills, Brady’s pats, Ben’s steelers)?  

2.778 degrees Celsius , brah what else is there to know?

50 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

17 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

2.778 degrees Celsius , brah what else is there to know?

He has a 0-7 record in these games. He has never scored more than one touchdown or helped his team score more than 19 points in a single game. The Raiders have yet to score more than 17 points in any of those seven games.

In his seven games played in temperatures below 37 degrees, Derek Carr has only tossed one touchdown in each on average, and he has passed for 220+ yards only once.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

He has a 0-7 record in these games. He has never scored more than one touchdown or helped his team score more than 19 points in a single game. The Raiders have yet to score more than 17 points in any of those seven games.

In his seven games played in temperatures below 37 degrees, Derek Carr has only tossed one touchdown in each on average, and he has passed for 222 yards only once.

I want Carr as our QB.

I do think this is a valid criticism and I do worry about it. I also think it's reasonable to believe he can improve in the cold weather by practicing in it during the week and playing it it more often. He hasn't had much experience in it yet.

Just now, Rangers9 said:

He’s definitely better than what we’ve got but how much better and for what price. Are there good options that are more economical. I cou  it don’t see the Jets taking on that contract. Esp after Carr off a down year. 

What do you mean “how much better”?

Derek Carr’s worst season would still qualify as one of the greatest seasons a Jets QB has ever had.

The dude has been one of the Top 12 QB’s in the league for a decade. Meanwhile the Jets have been rolling out total sh*t at the position for half a century with the exception of 2 seasons of O’Brien, 1 year of Testaverde, 1-2 years of Pennington, about 10 games of Favre and 1 year of Fitzpatrick.

Our QB history is atrocious. People have sh*t in their skulls where their brains should be if they think Carr is only marginally better than Mike White or Zach Wilson.

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I want Carr as our QB.

I do think this is a valid criticism and I do worry about it. I also think it's reasonable to believe he can improve in the cold weather by practicing in it during the week and playing it it more often. He hasn't had much experience in it yet.

He’s an overly religious weirdo from Fresno/Bakersfield.  

His problems in NY will only START with the cold weather.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In his seven games played in temperatures below 37 degrees, Derek Carr has only tossed one touchdown in each on average, and he has passed for 220+ yards only once.

He gets the shivers

• Haha 1

Just now, Untouchable said:

What do you mean “how much better”?

Derek Carr’s worst season would still qualify as one of the greatest seasons a Jets QB has ever had.

The dude has been one of the Top 12 QB’s in the league for a decade. Meanwhile the Jets have been rolling out total sh*t at the position for half a century with the exception of 2 seasons of O’Brien, 1 year of Testaverde, 1-2 years of Pennington, about 10 games of Favre and 1 year of Fitzpatrick.

Our QB history is atrocious. People have sh*t in their skulls where their brains should be if they think Carr is only marginally better than Mike White or Zach Wilson.

Look the Patriots way is you get rid of a good player as he declines and don’t give them a new contract based on previous performance. Overall it’s proven to be smart policy. If Carr declining and his season in 2022 was don’t overpay him. If his market value goes down and they can make a deal maybe try to sign him. 

5 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I want Carr but devils advocate says if he was good enough to lead in those games, he wouldn't need to comeback.

Hence why the consensus greats in Rodgers and Brady don't fall in the top 4

True but he always has a bottom of the league defense. 

that’s not the case here. 

im still Lamar/Rodgers then Carr

dont want Jimmy Glass or no F’n Ryan Choke-I-hill.  

JD probably should already know what it would take to trade for the first 2 if it’s even possible and if not he should be ready to probably offer a mid rd pick to secure Carr (unless there’s been some tampering and JD has been assured he’s sign with us) then re-work his contract so he can also bring in a Hopkins 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Personality matters in NY.  Carr will be a tremendous failure here and I’m not sure what you’ll do when that happens.  

Just hope he’s leading the team offense to score 25-30 pts a game and have us in post season. Won’t be that big of a deal if that’s the case IMO

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look the Patriots way is you get rid of a good player as he declines and don’t give them a new contract based on previous performance. Overall it’s proven to be smart policy. If Carr declining and his season in 2022 was don’t overpay him. If his market value goes down and they can make a deal maybe try to sign him. 

Derek Carr’s “down year” in 2022 still consisted of 3500 yards, 24 TD’s and 14 INT’s in 15 games.

If Zach Wilson or Mike White were to manage such a feat next season, Jets fans would be over the moon.

The dude is still only 31 years old and next to Brady has been the most durable QB in the league over the last decade.

I don’t even see how this is a debate. If the Jets can get Derek Carr, then go get him.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Derek Carr’s “down year” in 2022 still consisted of 3500 yards, 24 TD’s and 14 INT’s in 15 games.

If Zach Wilson or Mike White were to manage such a feat next season, Jets fans would be over the moon.

The dude is still only 31 years old and next to Brady has been the most durable QB in the league over the last decade.

I don’t even see how this is a debate. If the Jets can get Derek Carr, then go get him.

I’m all for signing him but not for 40 million. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I’m all for signing him but not for 40 million. 

Why not?

The Top 6-8 guys in the league are getting $50+ million a year.

Carr is in the class just below that with guys like Prescott, Cousins, and Tannehill.

Good, quality QB’s make big money. It’s just the way it is.

How anyone could have any faith in this team hitting on some kid in the draft is beyond me. I’m through with that for the time being.

So go get a good veteran with a track record.

That’s Carr

44 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

For those interested in Carr. Would likely come down to Jets vs Saints. All things being equal I would go New Orleans if I was Carr, given where they play in the NFC, but JD can easily not make it equal

Dome vs. Outdoors in NJ.

Saints also in the worst division in football, that'll get even worse when Brady leaves Tampa.

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Why not?

The Top 6-8 guys in the league are getting $50+ million a year.

Carr is in the class just below that with guys like Prescott, Cousins, and Tannehill.

Good, quality QB’s make big money. It’s just the way it is.

How anyone could have any faith in this team hitting on some kid in the draft is beyond me. I’m through with that for the time being.

So go get a good veteran with a track record.

That’s Carr

Doing what everybody else does isn't generally the wise move.  Better to zig while others zag.  If you're gonna spend big resources/coin on a QB, he has to be elite.  If not, go with a cheaper bridge option, simultaneously try to find your guy in the draft, and load up elsewhere on the roster.  Because you're not winning d**k paying Derek Carr $40M per.

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The minute he crumbles in a big game (very likely) it all falls apart.  

Well sure. But of the options what else we gonna do. 
rodgers / Lamar unlikely. Carr is most likely that we could acquire and we can’t really count on Jimmy Glass or a crappy choke artist like Tannehill 

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Doing what everybody else does isn't generally the wise move.  Better to zig while others zag.  If you're gonna spend big resources/coin on a QB, he has to be elite.  If not, go with a cheaper bridge option, simultaneously try to find your guy in the draft, and load up elsewhere on the roster.  Because you're not winning d**k paying Derek Carr $40M per.

You are assuming that JD couldn’t Re-work the deal. The # is high and yea it sucks but we clearly can’t draft one so we gotta overpay or just close down the jets boards because we’ll always stay in this cycle 

4 minutes ago, Stark said:

You are assuming that JD couldn’t Re-work the deal. The # is high and yea it sucks but we clearly can’t draft one so we gotta overpay or just close down the jets boards because we’ll always stay in this cycle 

Re-work what deal?  Only way Carr ends up here is after getting cut and if we offer him the most money.  If he doesn't get cut he isn't likely coming here at all because he has a no-trade clause and the Raiders would likely try to trade him to the NFC.

I could maybe see if Jets traded Raiders for Carr including Zach as part of the deal. He’s still a prospect with 22 starts and has the potential to turn it around. Not sure if Raiders org and McDaniel feels same way. Plus Zach is from SLC area and closest NFL franchise is LV. Zach for Carr and money? Raiders take on Zach’s full contract so Jets save $ that way plus Raiders pay part of Carr’s due money. 

Don't think the Jets are  getting Carr #1he chooses where he wants to go it won't be the Jets#2 Jets are less then 7 million under the cap with them needing to resign Huff,  QW maybe his brother at LB plus McGovern or a replacement for center. My prediction they sign Minshew, Brisset or Baker Mayfield try to fix Zach that is the reality. Even cutting players like Carl Lawson won't clear enough cap space for Carr and resigning those players to keep the team together. Think fans will be disappointed.