Josh Allen

Cyberjet

11 hours ago, Cyberjet said:

Then Josh Allen is your guy. I would rather have a Burrows or a Mahome. 

We should have such problems.

Allen was hit a lot yesterday. Does look like he has been trying to throw deep when intermediate passes would have been fine. But no idea if that was the Bills' plan or what he choose to do. Sure there were short reads on lots of the downs. 

Burrow was barely touched. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Allen's window is relatively small. Quarterbacks with his style of play simply don't last long in this league. If he doesn't get it done soon, he never will.

difference between josh allen and a lamar jackson/justin fields/mike vick style qb is that josh allen isn't an electric runner who gets it done because of his incredible speed. thos qbs fizzle out quickly because they lose a step and then they don't have enough other skills to compensate. josh allen is just a really big strong dude who can run pretty well. so that part of his game shouldn't fall off as quickly because he is not going to just fall off a cliff because he lost the amazing speed he once had. he is a decent passer but he isn't elite at that either. josh allen is who he is at this point. a top qb in the league right now, but not elite. he can qin a superbowl but he isn't the all world qb some people make him out to be

• Upvote 3

Issue with the Bills is not the QB, its the rest of the roster. They honestly haven't drafted that well. Look at, for example, the 2019 draft, first round, they picked up Ed Oliver, fine. Second round they trade out and pick up a guard who is now with the Cardinals with Deebo, Metcalf, AJ Brown and McLaurin on the board, they get Knox 3rd round which is a hit but that second round probably has cost them a Super Bowl appearance.

What would have put them over the top for a Super Bowl title: 2020 they get Diggs basically for Justin Jefferson, fine you say, basically a wash, until you look at the contracts: you could *really* kit out a dominant team with the savings.

• Upvote 2

This goes back to the recency effect we talked about yesterday. After the KC games last year Allen was the best player in the league and got hyped all off season. Now he's a fraud who can't get over the hump lol

I think this might benefit him in the long run because the hype around him is over now.

This week Burrow is the greatest, Joe Cool etc. If he loses in the SB to san Fran or Philly he'll then be likened to Jim Kelly (can he ever win the big game?!). It's just the way it goes.

As to Allen, I think people need to realize just how low the talent he has around him is. That offense is not good and he has to do it almost all himself. Outside of Diggs name one player he has that you'd place in the upper tier of NFL starters? Knox is mediocre, Davis is a below average number 2. The running backs are average and the line can't block worth a damn.

They need to sort that line out this offseason and Dorsey (I'm guessing he says) needs to improve massively as a play caller and start being a bit less predictable, mix the run more and open up the short passing game. But the whole team lacks the killer instinct to me and that comes from the coach. Unfortunately for Buffalo they're screwed because after not being in the playoffs for 17 years are they really going to replace a coach who has made them a perennial division winner and SB contender?

Personally I would at least get a new DC who brings a little attitude to the table because these guys have been dominated again and again in the playoffs but I doubt that happens

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, defensedoesntgetyoulaid said:

This goes back to the recency effect we talked about yesterday. After the KC games last year Allen was the best player in the league and got hyped all off season. Now he's a fraud who can't get over the hump lol

I think this might benefit him in the long run because the hype around him is over now.

This week Burrow is the greatest, Joe Cool etc. If he loses in the SB to san Fran or Philly he'll then be likened to Jim Kelly (can he ever win the big game?!). It's just the way it goes.

As to Allen, I think people need to realize just how low the talent he has around him is. That offense is not good and he has to do it almost all himself. Outside of Diggs name one player he has that you'd place in the upper tier of NFL starters? Knox is mediocre, Davis is a below average number 2. The running backs are average and the line can't block worth a damn.

They need to sort that line out this offseason and Dorsey (I'm guessing he says) needs to improve massively as a play caller and start being a bit less predictable, mix the run more and open up the short passing game. But the whole team lacks the killer instinct to me and that comes from the coach. Unfortunately for Buffalo they're screwed because after not being in the playoffs for 17 years are they really going to replace a coach who has made them a perennial division winner and SB contender?

Personally I would at least get a new DC who brings a little attitude to the table because these guys have been dominated again and again in the playoffs but I doubt that happens

gonna be kinda hard to build a great roster with the amount of money they have to pay allen to be a pretty good but not elite qb. the bills are good and allen is good, but they aren't going to be a dynasty. this is good news because if the jets get a qb they have just as much chance as any team in this division. i think peopel still have ptsd from having to watch brady and the pats be a 2 decade juggernaught

it's a game of attrition and the Bengals team on Sunday was simply far better.  

Joe Burrow is better than every QB in the league.   It doesn't mean Allen  isn't a terrific QB that cant win a SB.

Elway and Payton won SB when they were both hanging on by a thread and were't very good.  Allen has a lot of good years left.  The cap is going up and his contract will become a positive instead of a negative at some point. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

gonna be kinda hard to build a great roster with the amount of money they have to pay allen to be a pretty good but not elite qb. the bills are good and allen is good, but they aren't going to be a dynasty. this is good news because if the jets get a qb they have just as much chance as any team in this division. i think peopel still have ptsd from having to watch brady and the pats be a 2 decade juggernaught

I would much rather our D and our skill position players on offense are probably better overall as well apart from QB. Especially so when you look at the contracts the respective teams are on. 

I’m thoroughly enjoying the meltdowns going on up here since yesterday evening!  Bills fans seemed entitled to the SB this year because of all the past failures.  Well, none of that guarantees you anything in the future.  They all just found that out.  Now, let’s find ourselves a FQB and take over the GD division for once!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Joe Burrow had all day to throw. You are going to get wiped if you let a QB the caliber of Burrow all day to look for receivers. Also, I have never seen the Bills OL pass block as bad as today. 

Which is the opposite of what I thought was going to happen. Cincy had a makeshift oline that dominated most of the game. 

26 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

difference between josh allen and a lamar jackson/justin fields/mike vick style qb is that josh allen isn't an electric runner who gets it done because of his incredible speed. thos qbs fizzle out quickly because they lose a step and then they don't have enough other skills to compensate. josh allen is just a really big strong dude who can run pretty well. so that part of his game shouldn't fall off as quickly because he is not going to just fall off a cliff because he lost the amazing speed he once had. he is a decent passer but he isn't elite at that either. josh allen is who he is at this point. a top qb in the league right now, but not elite. he can qin a superbowl but he isn't the all world qb some people make him out to be

Interesting topic and I'm not challenging this conclusion but I wonder if we really have seen enough examples in the NFL of elite running QB's to know that there is this steep decline.  Mike Vick's career was derailed for off field stuff but he still played 15 years in the NFL.  Randal Cunningham played 15 years.  McNair played 12 years.  Steve Young played forever.   I mean, sure you had guys like Vince Young and Kordell Stewart but they just werent very good.  Right now the league is full of them;  Jackson, Fields, Murray, Watson, Hurts, etc. etc. 

Josh Allen's style is a little more similar to Cam Newton, who really only played for 8 seasons.  Not saying that's going to happen to Allen but I think there is an argument that his reckless approach to running the ball because of his size could be more damaging in the long run ala; Newton.

3 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Interesting topic and I'm not challenging this conclusion but I wonder if we really have seen enough examples in the NFL of elite running QB's to know that there is this steep decline.  Mike Vick's career was derailed for off field stuff but he still played 15 years in the NFL.  Randal Cunningham played 15 years.  McNair played 12 years.  Steve Young played forever.   I mean, sure you had guys like Vince Young and Kordell Stewart but they just werent very good.  Right now the league is full of them;  Jackson, Fields, Murray, Watson, Hurts, etc. etc. 

Josh Allen's style is a little more similar to Cam Newton, who really only played for 8 seasons.  Not saying that's going to happen to Allen but I think there is an argument that his reckless approach to running the ball because of his size could be more damaging in the long run ala; Newton.

I think Allen can make the transition to be a Big Ben  type and that should extend his career. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Cyberjet said:

Josh Allen is a good QB BUT he is not going to win a SB. He has a team that is  as complete as can be. The question remains what makes a QB unique? What is it about a Tom Brady and Joe Montana that makes them so consistent that if the opportunity is there they grab it. 

Oh we're going to do the QB x isn't going to win a SB thing again? Y'all will never learn.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

how?  because these guys can be coached up.  is it a surprise that benson was launched along with milfy? both of these guys failed at their jobs.

Agreed. It's not so much the players as it is the coaches and GM.  Our talent evaluation is below average in the NFL save for last year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

Freaking Jets fans bashing Josh Allen.  Holy Batman, Robin.   Some posters should measure twice and cut once.  Pathetic!   

Allen sucks because he lost a playoff game but Zach Wilson is the next Mahomes he just needs Nate Hackett or the patriots tight end coach to mold him

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

This place is nuts. Allen is the epitome of a franchise QB. People here pointing out the mole on Cindy Crawfords face like they’re some kind of QB expert that knew he would be a failure all along. He’s going to be a pain in our asses for 10 more years. Y’all bugging 

• Upvote 3

Allen is definitely a good QB, I think we all agree on that, but there a mountain of excuses being made for him over the last 24 hours.  He plays the most important position in football so he should get the bulk of the criticism.  Like others have said, Burrow played in the same crap weather with a beat up o-line and played like a champion.  It could be that he’s just not THAT good.  

8 hours ago, Biggs said:

it's a game of attrition and the Bengals team on Sunday was simply far better.  

Joe Burrow is better than every QB in the league.   It doesn't mean Allen  isn't a terrific QB that cant win a SB.

Elway and Payton won SB when they were both hanging on by a thread and were't very good.  Allen has a lot of good years left.  The cap is going up and his contract will become a positive instead of a negative at some point.

The Bengals defense has lowkey been very good all season, especially down the stretch.

The fact they were so much better than the (overrated) Buffalo D was the difference in the game.

I thought the Bengals should have been favored.  The spread of -6 BUF made no sense.

I was kind of jealous watching Anuramo dial up those creative situational blitzes and seeing Allen panic.

Ulbrich and Salen never blitz, despite having 2 of the best outside corners in the game.  It drives you crazy,  If you want turnovers, you have to bring the heat.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, VJphillyfan said:

Allen sucks because he lost a playoff game but Zach Wilson is the next Mahomes he just needs Nate Hackett or the patriots tight end coach to mold him

What does any of this drivel have to do with Josh Allen being able to win a SB?  
Anything?  

So Allen admitted the huff hit did really impact him.  

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Buffalo Billsquarterback Josh Allen said that the right elbow injury he suffered in the team's Week 9 loss to the New York Jets resulted in him having to change his throwing motion and that it wasn't until two weeks ago that he was able to get back to mechanically what he likes.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35511992/bills-allen-seeks-rest-recovery-gauges-elbow-injury

• Upvote 1

The analytics nerds are all pointing out that Allen’s short accuracy, after the injury against the Jets, went straight to hell. I’m not sure how a UCL would impact accuracy on shorter timing routes (and not deeper routes), but apparently that’s what the stats show. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1