Brock Purdy

Wit

Purdy played 4 years in college then sat and watched 10+ weeks this year. He basically got experience in college and then marinated in the 49ers system since April before seeing the field.

He is also surrounded by elite talent (CMac, Deebo, Kittle, etc) and has one of the best offensive coaches in the league.

In other words, he’s been positioned for maximum success and is seizing that opportunity with his calm demeanor and playing within the system. Good for him. 

18 hours ago, SCRUNO said:

Purdy has Brian Griese coaching him. We have Calabrese.

"Griese just does a good job of keeping it real," Purdy said. "He doesn't try to tell us one thing just to make you feel good or anything. He wants to win, and he tells us the truth and he is hard on us, especially in the meeting rooms and everything. ... He does a great job of having the balance of being the discipline coach but also showing love and building you up, so he's done a great job with it.

"It's his first year, but I feel like he's been coaching for 20, so it's awesome."

That’s pretty interesting because griese sr was like that too. Bob didn’t have a big arm but he knew how to win and had Csonka, Morris, kiick, and warfield to help him. Plus he had an outstanding oline.

16 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m getting to the point where i don’t think it even matters what we do. 
There are way too many good teams and great QBs just in the AFC for us to compete for a title against a NFC team.

We’re not surviving a gauntlet of Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert and now Lawrence. That just isn’t going to happen. We can’t even beat Mac Jones.

**** those guys.  We were right there with our sh*tty QB play.   I am not quaking in my boots over playing Trevor Lawrence again. The week 4-12 Jets with moderately competent QB play walk the Jags easy.  We split with Allen.  We need to get our own house in order.  Get competent QB play and sh*t will fall into place.  If we choose wisely at OC and QB around mid-season when the line starts to gel and Breece Hall rounds back into shape we will start rolling and we will all forget the negativity.  The way everybody did before the bye week when we beat the Bills.   Then we sh*t the bed against the Pats and everybody became Larry David again.

• Post of the Week 1

He changed my mind. Yes he’s playing in a great situation but he’s playing like a 5 year veteran. If he even plays just ok against that Eagles defense you have to consider him a franchise QB to do that on the road in a huge pressure cooker. 

Purdy hasn’t had a bad game yet you’ve got to assume this will happen if he is the Niners starter. First he has to beat out Lance in training camp. So far he looks like a competent game manager his game and skills a lot like Mike White’s game except White has two bad games under his belt. I hope White returns to Jets I wouldn’t count him out as next years Jets starter. 

the thing about purdy is he was a four year starter at his school.  how many qbs are coming into the league with the same amount of experience.  the niners said this was something they liked about him.  and another point is no matter how many people decry brady for being a late pick, he too was one of those guys that had a lot of experience playing qb at college and for a good program.  that brady was chosen so late is kind of strange especially when the jets have picked guys like morgan or petty in the fourth round and then hack in the second and darnold in the first.  a common thread is that none of these guys were four year starters.  hack, morgan, and petty come close.

Purdy's greatest quality is his calmness. The kid doesn't get rattled and understands the time he has to throw. Nothing is rushed. His arm strength and accuracy are pretty consistent with the scouting reports. I am curious what his numbers look like when facing an extra pass rusher. 

BTW, this is what it looks like when you put a rookie QB with a half a season experience as a pro behind a really good O line, with a great run game, dependable veteran receivers in a well developed offense. The only player learning on the fly for the Niners O right now is Purdy, and that makes it a whole lot easier for him.