Jets Competition for Carr

7 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I’d love Lamar Jackson if we can guarantee the predictable thing that has happened the last two seasons won’t happen again and it didn’t cost 4.5 billion dollars and 22 draft picks to find out.

Only issue I have is the draft picks. Had our 22 draft didn't go so well, I wouldn't even be against that. And fuq Woody Johnson's money. 

4 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

How does someone not tough mentally lead the league in game winning drives over the last 9 years?

Lol and what success has Carr really had? No playoffs no MVPs with 3 pro bowl appearances, cousins has 4 probowls 

the definition of jag QBs, idk why y’all Jets fans are overhyping this guy

10 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Lol and what success has Carr really had? No playoffs no MVPs with 3 pro bowl appearances, cousins has 4 probowls 

What playoff success and championship runs did Matt Stafford have before McVay traded for him?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

What's your preferred route for QB next year? Lamar/Rodgers or you thinking a different path?

If they’re intent on holding out hope for Zach, Rodgers is probably the best choice. He’ll cost less in draft compensation and, while Aaron is no natural mentor, Zach should at least learn some via osmosis. One thing that irks me about Rodgers is that he’s talked about coming back and winning another MVP rather than another Super Bowl. That doesn’t sit well. 

To me, Carr is the ultimate wheel-spinning move. He is not a championship QB, but he’ll cost as much as one. He’s Cousins, who I also never wanted. I get that both of those guys are a lot better than anything the Jets have had in a while, but all I see that guy bringing is higher stakes disappointment. Like Cousins winning 13 regular season games then getting bounced in the first round. I know a lot of fans just want to get to the playoffs, but I’m really not interested in getting in unless they’re a genuine contender. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

If they’re intent on holding out hope for Zach, Rodgers is probably the best choice. He’ll cost less in draft compensation and, while Aaron is no natural mentor, Zach should at least learn some via osmosis. One thing that irks me about Rodgers is that he’s talked about coming back and winning another MVP rather than another Super Bowl. That doesn’t sit well. 

To me, Carr is the ultimate wheel-spinning move. He is not a championship QB, but he’ll cost as much as one. He’s Cousins, who I also never wanted. I get that both of those guys are a lot better than anything the Jets have had in a while, but all I see that guy bringing is higher stakes disappointment. Like Cousins winning 13 regular season games then getting bounced in the first round. I know a lot of fans just want to get to the playoffs, but I’m really not interested in getting in unless they’re a genuine contender. 

Yea I agree Rodgers would appear to be the best route if they think Zach can pan out. Gives you the best QB for the lowest price comparatively + the FAs it brings. You could in theory solve (for this season)

QB, LT, WR2, and backup slot. This ignores any discounts players take to make a ring chasing season happen. And allows you to miss out on the top 3 OTs in a worst case scenario kinda way.

1 minute ago, VJphillyfan said:

What playoff success and championship runs did Matt Stafford have before McVay traded for him?

Both didn't have success but Stafford has elite arm talent and is the more tuff QB mentally, as i stated already. Carr has Jag traits and is very sensitive 

13 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

..because he is 100% better than who we have now, and who else do you prefer?

I just want a legit QB, I don't care about the cap as long as we don't give up other assets.  So, who do you want instead?  Name your poison?  And how much are you willing to give up to get him?

All things considered, Carr fill the bill for me.    

28 minutes ago, pointman said:

See? You have presented MANY options before the awful Minshew/White type of option. People here absolutely sh*t on the idea of Lamar Motherf'ing Jackson because... they're just angry I suppose. Its amazing that top tier talent, or talent clearly superior to anything we have or had is dismissed with a saltiness only a real life miserable taint of a person could have. 

Can't see how anyone could not question what it would cost to obtain LaMarr Jackson in regards to his availability to play becauise of injury. His current injury may require off season surgery. Seems legit to question this, no?. Thought I heard he has missed 12 of the last 25 games.

6 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

..because he is 100% better than who we have now, and who else do you prefer?

I just want a legit QB, I don't care about the cap as long as we don't give up other assets.  So, who do you want instead?  Name your poison?  And how much are you willing to give up to get him?

All things considered, Carr fill the bill for me.    

A rookie 

We supposed to have this top GM right? Dereck Carr cannot compete with the top QBs in this league we have a 9 year sample size.

This is a decent QB class find a guy

53 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Could Matthew Stafford? Because Carrs numbers at this stage in their careers are almost identical.

Are you interested in Ryan Tannehill?????, because yoooooo!!!!!, peep their almost identical career numbers!!!!!!!!!!!

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JiFields said:

Are you interested in Ryan Tannehill?????, because yoooooo!!!!!, peep their almost identical career numbers!!!!!!!!!!!

This

Jag Qbs like Carr are cominb into the league every year, if we have this good GM like everyone claims then find the guy

Why overpay jags???

46 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Could Matthew Stafford? Because Carrs numbers at this stage in their careers are almost identical.

The Stafford comparison is an interesting one. I think it's a bit of a reach, but probably within the realm of possibility. That Rams team went all in with him two years after they lost in the Super Bowl and he got them over the hump to a Super Bowl win. Not like they went 7-10 to SB, it was a down 9-7 year off a Super Bowl run to the Super Bowl. And then last year they completely fell apart.

If we reach a little more then the Wilson/Flacco/White->Carr impact is bigger than Goff->Stafford so maybe it's an extra jolt. Feels like if all goes well Carr gets the Jets to like, the Wild Card or Divisional round and then the team collapses. I think that's a win for some fans and not a win for others, which is probably part of why he's so polarizing for the fan base.

1 hour ago, Jets Things said:

Draft one every year until we find the guy. 

You can still do that (not necessarily first round) while you have a competent vet in place to play competitive football until we find our own Mahomes, Burrow or Allen.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

This

Jag Qbs like Carr are cominb into the league every year, if we have this good GM like everyone claims then find the guy

Why overpay jags???

Oh my bad was it the Tannehill reference you didnt like?  Cool cool, have you considered Carson Wentz?  Because yoooooo, peep, his almost identical stats to Derek Carr!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, slats said:

I just alluded to the bold in another post here and think it's spot on. I don't quite have it flushed out but a poll with preferred QB options + I'd be happy with the playoffs vs. Super Bowl or bust.

Maybe bucket it into: trade serious draft capital for a quarterback who's won a MVP (Rodgers/Jackson), acquire a veteran quarterback upgrade without giving away significant draft capital (Carr/Garoppolo/Tannehill), chase upside on the FA market with a relatively unproven player (Minshew/Mayfield/Darnold), draft a quarterback till you find one (I'm ignoring the Brady scenario here) and pair each with happy making the playoffs or Super Bowl or bust. I'd guess most of the happy making the playoffs folks fall into the Carr/Garoppolo/Tannehill tier (even though I imagine nobody actually wants Tannehill).

14 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Can't see how anyone could not question what it would cost to obtain LaMarr Jackson in regards to his availability to play becauise of injury. His current injury may require off season surgery. Seems legit to question this, no?. Thought I heard he has missed 12 of the last 25 games.

4th Q of playoff game in 2020 due to concussion

5 in 2021

5 + 1 in 2022 

He's a risk but I'm not sure his injuries are a result of his style of play. Concussion happened on a wild snap 20 yards over Lamar's head and the last 2 injuries happened in the pocket. It's a concern for sure but I'm not sure it's the huge gamble people make it out to be.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

A rookie 

We supposed to have this top GM right? Dereck Carr cannot compete with the top QBs in this league we have a 9 year sample size.

This is a decent QB class find a guy

So, hope for the best in the draft?  Trade up again and hope for the best?  Stand pat and hope for the best?  Been there done that, give me someone legit now.  I'll take Carr and be happy with my average NFL QB, a huge upgrade!   

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, JiFields said:

Oh my bad was it the Tannehill reference you didnt like?  Cool cool, have you considered Carson Wentz?  Because yoooooo, peep, his almost identical stats to Derek Carr!!!!!!!!!!!

Guy who was sixth in the league in both passing yardage and passing touchdowns and threw less interceptions than any player in the top ten for TD's (and second least in the top ten for yardage) may become available at some point soon too. And he made a Super Bowl run while on his rookie deal.

13 minutes ago, Lith said:

You can still do that (not necessarily first round) while you have a competent vet in place to play competitive football until we find our own Mahomes, Burrow or Allen.

Exactly. Bring Carr on board and keep drafting QB's. And bring in the right QB coach for everyone. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, derp said:

Guy who was sixth in the league in both passing yardage and passing touchdowns and threw less interceptions than any player in the top ten for TD's (and second least in the top ten for yardage) may become available at some point soon too. And he made a Super Bowl run while on his rookie deal.

Bring back GENO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh wait, you mean Jared Goff?????

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, derp said:

I just alluded to the bold in another post here and think it's spot on. I don't quite have it flushed out but a poll with preferred QB options + I'd be happy with the playoffs vs. Super Bowl or bust.

Maybe bucket it into: trade serious draft capital for a quarterback who's won a MVP (Rodgers/Jackson), acquire a veteran quarterback upgrade without giving away significant draft capital (Carr/Garoppolo/Tannehill), chase upside on the FA market with a relatively unproven player (Minshew/Mayfield/Darnold), draft a quarterback till you find one (I'm ignoring the Brady scenario here) and pair each with happy making the playoffs or Super Bowl or bust. I'd guess most of the happy making the playoffs folks fall into the Carr/Garoppolo/Tannehill tier (even though I imagine nobody actually wants Tannehill).

I think you can win a ring with Jimmy G level play, and I think Carr is better than him. Maybe that's a flawed way to look at it but give me the healthy guys with our roster and see what happens.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I think it depends on what you are hoping to get from Carr. What I want is a competent vet at QB who the Jets can make the playoffs with over the next 2-3 years so they can choose their future QB next year and let him sit and learn for a season. In that scenario, I think Carr is a great fit. If you are looking to solve your QB position for the next 5-10 years or you want to make a Super Bowl run next year, Carr won’t provide you that.

The timeline is also interesting regarding Super Bowl run. You've got Wilson and Gardner on rookie deals for four more years, three for Hall and AVT. They really only need to pay Quinnen Williams. Next few years is a nice little window. A QB on a rookie deal probably expands that window a little too. Would be very Jets-y to blow the window to make the playoffs a couple times and then collapse when the window's closed.

Also this is now consecutive years that the divisional round in the AFC has featured Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, and a fourth team. This year the fourth team was led by Lawrence. In the NFC I think you can sneak by with a mid-level QB and a good team around him. The AFC? Not so sure.

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

That's honestly, the only other options after the top few guys. After Lamar, Carr, Rodgers, and Jimmy G. Who's a good starter? At that point you're in bridge QB/back up territory. You're screwed either way. I guess other targets would be Jordan Love or Trey Lance. 

I know it'll never happen and fans would hate it because blablabla we need a veteran. But I would absolutely take a shot at the #1 pick from the Bears to get Bryce Young if those top options are unavailable. 

This.