Jets Competition for Carr

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Again, this team hasn’t made the playoffs in 12 years and you guys are thinking about what it would take to immediately win a Super Bowl.

Give me consistent playoff contention first. Something this team hasn’t been able to remotely accomplish since the 80’s.

You give Derek Carr a Top 5 defense, a couple of young playmakers on offense, and just a league average OL and there’s no reason this team shouldn’t win 10+ games a year for the foreseeable future and be in the hunt every January. From there, it’s entirely possible to get on a hot streak and then who knows what can happen?

What else can you really ask for?

If you have faith in this team drafting and developing the next Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow or Josh Allen, then keep dreaming the dream, I guess.

I get, and even agree with, your premise, but "remotely accomplish since the 80's?"  They made the playoffs 6 out of 10 seasons from 2001 to 2010.  Best they were in the 80's was 4 out of 6, which they matched in the streak in the 2000s.

1 hour ago, derp said:

Yeah it's a great example of the problem. Teams want a guy to get them over the hump, but when they're not actually good and that dude was expensive and the rest of the team needs to get paid...it's just a collapse.

Depends on the hump. I think Carr can get the Jets to the playoffs for a year or two before the team completely collapses and goes back into full rebuild mode. I'm not excited about the prospect of the Jets starting a rebuild that'll give me hope of a Super Bowl someday in 2025 or 2026. This team has young talent. Give me the plays that QB scenarios that raise the ceiling, I don't care about raising the floor. 

if they don't want to pay a player like carr, they can draft tanner mckee who is probably the most nfl ready of all the qb's in the draft.  they also have to back him up with a decent but inexpensive qb like white or the moustache 

2 hours ago, slats said:

To me, Carr is the ultimate wheel-spinning move. 

Wheel spinning is what we have been doing the last 20 years. An ever changing cast of managers, strategies and players. No consistency, no success. I will take Carr for $500 please Alex:

What QB has the best chance of getting the Jets to the playoffs next year?

Want to keep spinning and hoping we get lucky in the draft? Or get lucky and completely screw the new QB through our terrific coaching and game planning? No thanks.

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

This and only this. Competent, competitive QB play while you find that "Elite" guy in the draft. Pretty simple stuff here.

The difference would be Alex Smith was being paid like a competetive QB not elite while Carr would be paid like he's elite not allowing the Jets to keep players like KC was.

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

I get, and even agree with, your premise, but "remotely accomplish since the 80's?"  They made the playoffs 6 out of 10 seasons from 2001 to 2010.  Best they were in the 80's was 4 out of 6, which they matched in the streak in the 2000s.

True, but the years in between playoff appearances in the 2000’s were mostly horrible where we would win 4-6 games and be out of the hunt by Halloween.

There was also little hope of sustained contention between Pennington tearing up his shoulder, an obvious short term rental on Favre, etc.

If the Jets obtain Carr and Douglas can continue drafting half as well as he did last year, the Jets should be in the hunt for at least the next 3 seasons.

Short of us hitting on some phenom QB in the draft, I can’t see a better plan at the moment.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Joshy McD is a strange cat if he thinks 47 year old Brady is a better investment than 32 year old Carr.

The Carr extension was a mistake.  But you’re not winning a Super Bowl with Brady in LV.

Maybe Mark Davis just wants prime time games and attention and jersey sales.

I would take Carr (only if he’s cut and the guarantees don’t kick in) but I don’t think he wants any part of the Jets and what Saleh is selling.

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Dead End Derek?  Good grief..........................

You have to look at this objectively. What are the realistic options? Lamar? No way should we surrender #2 number 1’s and pay him a billion. It would strangle our cap. Way way way to expensive in draft capital and money. Jimmy G - Not a bad choice but he’s very injury prone and would only cost money. Aaron Rodgers - again way way to expensive and he’s like close to 40. He’s not the same player he was a few years ago. Mike White. Yes that guy. Has never really been given the opportunity to start the season as the legit #1 QB.  Has had flashes but has had trouble staying healthy. With an upgraded OL, he could be the guy and sign him to a fair contract. Worse scenario, he becomes a viable, trusted back up. Derrick Carr - can be traded for fairly cheap or if cut, can be signed without losing draft capital. Wouldn’t be cheap but will not cost anything near Lamar.  Question is- Can Carr be the guy that can lead this team to a SB? Josh McDaniels thinks not. Kicked him off the team. Wow. But has Carr ever really had a well balanced team under him? I think not. He has a lot of good attributes and with our defense and young stars on offense, we could go places we haven’t gone before.  Again, look at the options- sounds like it will be Derrick Carr and Mike White. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, derp said:

Take shots on a franchise quarterback and actually have a development plan in place. Or do what it takes to acquire one of those guys. Raise the ceiling, don’t raise the floor.

how exactly does a team go about acquiring a franchise QB?  if we ask pretty please, will KC send us mahomes or cincy send us burrow?

i mean yeah, it sounds great to say just go and develop one.  everyone here would love that.  easier said than done, of course, or EVERY team would just do that.

are you advocating they draft a QB in round 1?  trading up to ensure they have their pick of the QB liter?

1 hour ago, derp said:

Yeah it's a great example of the problem. Teams want a guy to get them over the hump, but when they're not actually good and that dude was expensive and the rest of the team needs to get paid...it's just a collapse.

Depends on the hump. I think Carr can get the Jets to the playoffs for a year or two before the team completely collapses and goes back into full rebuild mode. I'm not excited about the prospect of the Jets starting a rebuild that'll give me hope of a Super Bowl someday in 2025 or 2026. This team has young talent. Give me the plays that QB scenarios that raise the ceiling, I don't care about raising the floor. 

And whom might that be? 

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

See I dont buy this BS

The goal is to put together a GOOD SOLID team and keep it together for 2-3 years and compete. If the SB arrives, great. Too many on this board think the ONLY way to do this is to finally find a FRANCHISE QB plus all the other pieces and dominate for a decade. That is FOLLY!

Look at the 49ers. That rookie QB is good, but not elite. Still, they are almost at the SB.

Look at the BILLS. They have a great team and they have been competitive and CLOSE to a SB for 3 years. What were posters saying after their loss? That they need to get a new coach???? lol please they just need to keep trying with what they have and whats working.

My Cowboys friend told me their coach has to go after yesterdays loss. REALLY? The cowboys had a terrific record and they lost a close one. One step from next weeks championship game. Thats something you KEEP and KEEp going with.

Carr would make our offense MUCH better. He might not be this fantasy magical qb god but he is very good, much better than anyone we had in a long time and would get us into the playoffs

Bill Parcells said it best: The goal, every year, is for the team to MAKE THE PLAYOFFs, not win a SB. Once in the playoffs you reevaluate for a SB win. You guys dreaming about drafting the next Joe Burrow and thinking that is the onl;y way  are in for a long long wait.........

Very nice post, but I'd honestly try to kidnap Joe Burrow if I thought it could be pulled off. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

Jag rookies like Purdy come into the league every year.

Find one.

Why overpay for Carr?

We have brock purdy, his name is mike white.   Brock purdy is on the the most complete team in the whole league.  If we're going to settle for that type of Qb then we just roll with white and wilson

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

The only problem with this analysis is that Cousins was not the reason the Viings lost to the Giants. 

We can theorize that he’s not the reason they lost. We do, however, know for a fact that he’s not the reason they won. A common thread spanning his career, and Carr’s been worse. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

You gave to look at this objectively. What are the realistic options? Lamar? No way should we surrender #2 number 1’s and pay him a billion. It would strangle our cap. Way way way to expensive in draft capital and money. Jimmy G - Not a bad choice but he’s very injury prone and would only cost money. Aaron Rodgers - again way way to expensive and he’s like close to 40. He’s not the same player he was a few years ago. Mike White. Yes that guy. Has never really been given the opportunity to start the season as the legit #1 QB.  Has had flashes but has had trouble staying healthy. With an upgraded OL, he could be the guy and sign him to a fair contract. Worse scenario, he becomes a viable, trusted back up. Derrick Carr - can be traded for fairly cheap or if cut, can be signed without losing draft capital. Wouldn’t be cheap but will not cost anything near Lamar.  Question is- Can Carr be the guy that can lead this team to a SB? Josh McDaniels thinks not. Kicked him off the team. Wow. But has Carr ever really had a well balanced team under him? I think not. He has a lot of good attributes and with our defense and young stars on offense, we could go places we haven’t gone before.  Again, look at the options- sounds like it will be Derrick Carr and Mike White. 

Nice post expect White is NOT an option.

3 minutes ago, slats said:

We can theorize that he’s not the reason they lost. We do, however, know for a fact that he’s not the reason they won. A common thread spanning his career, and Carr’s been worse. 

He threw for three touchdowns with zero interceptions a high passing percentage rate and better 3rd down conversion rate. The Vikings lost because they had no running game and couldn't do much to stop the run. That's not on Cousins. Just sayin. It's a bogus argument.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

He threw for three touchdowns with zero interceptions a high passing percentage rate and better 3rd down conversion rate. The Vikings lost because they had no running game and couldn't do much to stop the run. That's not on Cousins. Just sayin. It's a bogus argument.

Imagine Kirk Cousins on the 49ers and Brock Purdy on the Vikings. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

Yeah, it’s not just the Bills in a one off game though. It’s likely needing to beat two of those three teams consecutively, maybe all three, alternatively after winning another game against a playoff team, and then beating the NFC SB contender. 

Mike White vs the Bengals last year looked pretty decent on a far less talented team.

Basically I think our defense is so good, they can have us in any game. Our offense just has to be alright to be competitive.

16 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Hey, you can like him and Carr all you like. I don’t. 

Cousins has been with Minnesota for five years. The year before he joined the team, they were 13-3 and adding Cousins was supposed to be the missing piece. His first year, they went 8-7-1. His record in five years with the team is 46-33-1. He’s brought that team to the playoffs exactly twice in those five years, managing a 1-2 record. This was his best regular season, then one & done. 

Carr’s been in the league for nine years, his record is 63-79. In those nine years he played one playoff game, lost, and was almost certainly part of the problem. His passing stats are meh; 7.1 ypa, 2% int, 91.2 passer rating. People want to trade picks and hand huge money out for this? 

These are the QBs who get your hopes up because, no, they don’t suck. They’re just not nearly as good as you hope they can be, and never will be. The idea of a $33M Derek Carr lifting this Jets franchise is laughable to me and, while we’re all putting our opinions in print, I’m more than happy to add my name to the list of people who don’t want him. My personal saving grace is that I do not think Carr would accept a trade here, nor do I think Douglas is the sort to be inclined to win a couple hundred million bidding war for upper mediocrity. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Again, this team hasn’t made the playoffs in 12 years and you guys are thinking about what it would take to immediately win a Super Bowl.

Give me consistent playoff contention first. Something this team hasn’t been able to remotely accomplish since the 80’s.

You give Derek Carr a Top 5 defense, a couple of young playmakers on offense, and just a league average OL and there’s no reason this team shouldn’t win 10+ games a year for the foreseeable future and be in the hunt every January. From there, it’s entirely possible to get on a hot streak and then who knows what can happen?

What else can you really ask for?

If you have faith in this team drafting and developing the next Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow or Josh Allen, then keep dreaming the dream, I guess.

I’d rather chase a Super Bowl and fail than chase a playoff spot with no chance of a Super Bowl. You’re entitled to your perspective, too. I think it’s a personal preference, to be honest. But that’s my perspective.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, pointman said:

People hate every QB option but then either have no solution in mind or say some insane sh*t like "lets gets Minshew and re-sign Mike White". 

Also, we are the favorites to land Lamar and Carr? Cool story.

Funny, the Media and Pundits setup these favorite boards. The QBs have either the no trade leverage or if they don’t they can threaten to sit out or even retire especially older on s like Rodgers. If none of them want to play for the Jets how would we be favorites for any QB?. Even FAs like Mayfield may say they would rather not come here, unless it is the only starting job they could get since you would be insane to take backup job over a starter job money.