Amateur GMs: Your 2023 Jets Offense?

This would be my thought of an improved offense.

Unfortunately, we can get the best FAs and draft picks to improve the O but if the OL gets snakebitten with injuries AGAIN, none of it will matter.  If Becton could somehow show up for 14+ games, that would be huge but it is hard to rely on him.

Do you think Becton will be moved back to LT w/ Brown and we draft a RT instead?  I think drafting LT at our draft position would be more optimal, but relying on Becton/Mitchell at RT scares me.

1 minute ago, VJphillyfan said:

QB: Aaron Rodgers (trade QW and a second to GB)

RB: Breece Hall

WR: Garrett Wilson

WR:  Jordan Addison (1st round pick)

Slot: Moore

TE: Uzomoah 

LT: Becton/Fant

LG: Tomlinson

C McGovern

RG: AVT

RT: Mitchell/Ogbueh

Resign White to 1 year deal to be backup qb

rolling with same OL is a choice.

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

QB1:  Derek Carr (trade 4th rounder, restructure deal to lower 2023’s $33M cap hit by converting a portion of this salary into a multi year signing bonus; similar to what they did with CJ)

Backup QBs:  Re-sign Mike White or sign someone similar + draft QB middle rounds

Unfortunately, they’re very likely to be holding onto Zach unless they can get Joe Douglas’ idea of fair compensation in a trade for him. Absolutely do not see them trading for one massive QB contract and also paying a high level backup salary, too. Or trading one mid round pick for a QB and then spending another on one that would essentially be a total crapshoot when they need OL, DT, LB, S, and WR help, too. 

21 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

LT:  Round 1.  Cut the aging Brown

If Brown wants to come back, he’s got an open invitation from me. He’ll count another $6M against the cap if he’s cut, I’d rather pay him a little more to be available to play. If the Jets are drafting OL in the first round (never my favorite) it might be wiser to look at centers where they’re picking. They’d probably be taking what’s left of the top-ish tackles vs. maybe the best center in the draft. 

• Upvote 2

here's my full offseason, would obviously have to pivot from Bevell since that was shot before he declined but the players would be the same for thr most part.

QB - Carr opts out, 3 years $100m

RB - Breece, Bam, Carter

WR1 - Garrett Wilson

WR2 - Allen Lazard

Slot - Elijah Moore

TE - Conklin/Usomah

LT - #13 + Brown

LG - Tomlinson + #74 Ricky Stromberg

C - McGovern + Stromberg

RG - AVT + Stromberg

RT - McGlinchey + Becton + Mitchell

I do love the Rodgers scenario though

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Cutting Brown only saves about 5 million, what backup are you going to find at LT for that money?

Good question.  You might have to keep the big lug ;), especially with the Jets injury luck.

I thought the saving were higher, closer to $9M but if they truly are $5M, I agree with you.

• Upvote 1

Nice plan.

Here’s what I would do. Basically, get Carr and keep our team. I think QB and injuries were our biggest issues.

Mission # 1: Get Carr. I don’t know what his ultimate trade value will be but I know I would go as high as 3rd. And so that’s my trade.

Mission #2: Clear up cap space.

- Restructure: JFM, DJ Reed, CJ Mosley, Duane Brown, and Laken (All this gets us +35 in cap)

- Cut: Carl Lawson. Good player but I would let the young guys play more

Mission #3: Sign Quinnen.

Mission #4: Resign our players:

- McGovern: While average, he’s always available

- Huff: 1st round tender

- Herbig, Zuerlein, Rankins, Kwon, Quincy, Joyner, and Ty

The way JD structures his contracts, this fits

Draft:

1st Round: Peter Skoronski OT

2nd Round: John Michael Schmitz OC

Day 3: Draft DLs

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

If Brown wants to come back, he’s got an open invitation from me. He’ll count another $6M against the cap if he’s cut, I’d rather pay him a little more to be available to play. If the Jets are drafting OL in the first round (never my favorite) it might be wiser to look at centers where they’re picking. They’d probably be taking what’s left of the top-ish tackles vs. maybe the best center in the draft. 

I really like a few of the Centers in this class. Ricky Stromberg from Arkansas is a name that keeps popping up for me in the 2nd or 3rd round. 4 year starter, only allowed 4 career sacks, calls the protections out at the line. I also love the idea of retaining McGovern and having Stromberg play G in case Tomlinson continues to look like poo.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

rolling with same OL is a choice.

That choice makes me sick to my stomache.

McGovern has not be the type of glue a good offensive line needs.  The Jets have been continuously killed with blitzes and stunts plus McGovern ranked in the bottom third on pass protection for Centers while his run blocking slipped.

He’s a good zone blocker in space but fails in short yardage.

Tomlinson needs a good LT and Center next to him.  He looked lost at times.  Hopefully a new OLine coach and strategy gets him back on track.  But we can’t bank on it and need competition for him.

Brown played hurt but it’s tough to pass up drafting a stud LT at #13.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, VJphillyfan said:

C McGovern

I want Aaron Rodgers as the next Jets QB as well, but I think you can get him without trading QW.  

• Upvote 2

With these 5 o-lineman under contract, Tomlinson, Brown, Becton, AVT and Mitchell, the jets need a C and a G and an OT for openers. Tomlinson isn’t going anywhere with his contract. That’s going to eat up any savings from cutting Davis and likely the first round pick. So that’s just to get to even so to speak. Now you need a WR 2 but the WR market is bananas so that’s probably pick #2. Now you have an offense to plug a QB into but little to no money.

Cutting Lawson gets you into the Winston neighborhood lol. Maybe extending Q saves some money and restructuring someone else but getting to Carrs neighborhood comes at the expense of having a good cast around him. 

bottom line JD just did the clear cap space and trade guys to have the picks to build around a QB so blowing up the QB room is really not possible without sacrificing other areas. 

trading Q is certainly in play and that would be a high price to pay for whiffing on Zach. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Nice plan.

Here’s what I would do. Basically, get Carr and keep our team. I think QB and injuries were our biggest issues.

Mission # 1: Get Carr. I don’t know what his ultimate trade value will be but I know I would go as high as 3rd. And so that’s my trade.

Mission #2: Clear up cap space.

- Restructure: JFM, DJ Reed, CJ Mosley, Duane Brown, and Laken (All this gets us +35 in cap)

- Cut: Carl Lawson. Good player but I would let the young guys play more

Mission #3: Sign Quinnen.

Mission #4: Resign our players:

- McGovern: While average, he’s always available

- Huff: 1st round tender

- Herbig, Zuerlein, Rankins, Kwon, Quincy, Joyner, and Ty

The way JD structures his contracts, this fits

Draft:

1st Round: Peter Skoronski OT

2nd Round: John Michael Schmitz OC

Day 3: Draft DLs

You're resigning Joyner?  Not sure about either safety TBH...

1 hour ago, VJphillyfan said:

C McGovern

Trading QW and bringing back same oline and expecting different results is a terrible plan IMO

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

You're resigning Joyner?  Not sure about either safety TBH...

I would. I don't want to create holes and he is serviceable. While a below average starter, he won’t be expensive.

I’m using all the main resources on QB and OL. Everything else will have to just wait. Same at LB, WR and TE. Ride with what we got since I want those high draft picks to go to the OL.

If all goes well with Carr, we can worry about upgrading LB, WR and Safety the following year. But all needs to go well with Carr. Otherwise, everyone is getting fired.

QB: Carr, Wilson, Haener (5th round - Fresno St)

WR: Wilson, Hopkins, Moore, Mims, Mingo (6th round - Ole Miss)

TE: Michael Mayer (1st round - Notre Dame), Conklin, Uzomah

RB: Breece, Carter, Knight

LT: Becton, Fant, AVT

LG: AVT, Herbig

Center: McGovern, Tippmann (4th round - Wisconsin)

RG: Tippmann (4th round - Wisconsin),  Herbig

RT: Darnell Wright (2nd round - Tennessee), Fant, Mitchell

cap cuts:

Davis, Berrios, Tomlinson, Lawson, Mosely

re-sign

Fant, McGovern

trade

3rd round pick to the Cards for Hopkins

notes:

• drafted players rounds came from Jets pfn mock drafts - all debatable if realistic but that's what I'm basing it on.
  • obviously risk in relying on Becton at LT, but I feel AVT's flexibility reduces risk. also doctors predicted 2nd injury due to nature of first. no such prediction at this point and i feel we're mostly mentally scared.
  • putting Becton & AVT next to each other as Douglas originally intended for max road grading for Breeeeeece to slip through.
  • Mayer gives us blue chip threat at 3 positions on offense (Breece, Wilson, Mayer) for defenses to worry about.
  • Fant is a cheap backup swing tackle. McGovern was OK in 2022 despite people claiming he's awful but hoping Tippmann can replace him in time.
  • Hopkins contract mostly offset by Davis & Berrios cuts - basically negligible.
  • new contracts spread over multiple years for fake cap - gfy

• Upvote 2

This is fine and this is great but its hard to look at the offense only with cap considerations without looking at the defense, where most of your FAs are. Quincy, Rankins, Joyner, Kwon, Solomon Thomas, Shepherd, Huff (RFA) are all free agents. 

Also, you seem to gloss over the most important position on the O-line. LT. Who is our LT? I think it is a huge risk to assume a top LT prospect will fall to us at 13 in Rd. 1 and we can rely on him to start as a rookie. It's the type of thing us fans crucify JD for when it does not work out.  

Sorry, not to be super judgmental, but this is a bit lazy.

Yes, of course we need to shore up the O-line with a couple quality FAs. Yes, of course we need to go after a legit vet QB. But how do we balance out the rest of the team so we don't go into 2023 with a bunch of holes? 

1. Yes, I agree 100%- go after Carr, give up a 4th (and up to a 2nd if the bidding gets crazy, which I doubt it will), and restructure his deal. This is top priority for JD. 

2. I agree that there are a number of options at C in FA and if McGovern is too expensive we can go after another player who could very well end up being an upgrade (Clapp, Bradbury, Bozeman, Pocic, ect.) But this is where I would say you need to clear some more cap to bring in a sure thing at OT- especially if you are going to cut loose Brown. Cutting Lawson, Davis, Berrios, and Whitehead are all on the table. But to be honest, there are not a ton of options in FA at LT, and Brown was solid as a rock despite his injury. Unless he retires, I hold on to him and hope he returns from surgery sooner than later. I'm also resigning Herbig because I think he will be affordable after his injury and provide great depth. He could even come in and start at G if one of our OTs gets hurt and our line plays better with AVT at OT and Herbig at G. Hopefully there's some cash left over to sign a vet swing backup tackle. David Quessenberry comes to mind? 

3. Like I said, assuming we bring in Carr, we will need more cap because of the critical FAs on D. I think the Jets need to bring back Quincy and Huff ASAP. I also think its important to take care of QW ASAP to avoid and drama with your best player. So I re-tool the WRs and cut Davis and Berrios. Davis is often injured and Berrios was disappointing. I assume Carr will elevate the play of our TEs, Moore and Mims. Wilson remains my #1. I'm going to add a WR in the draft and sign a low-mid range vet FA for depth (but maybe bringing back Jeff Smith makes the most sense). I also cut Lawson and give JJ, Huff and Clemons more opportunities/snaps to fill that role.  

So I cut Davis, Berrios, and Lawson. I also cut Mann but that is 100% performance based.   

I re-sign Herbig, Quincy, and Huff. On cheaper contracts I re-sign Jeff Smith, Kwon, Legatron and Solomon Thomas. I also sign a Punter but that is 100% performance based.   

I sign/trade for Carr. I sign a C. I sign critical depth at OT (swing tackle). These are the critical FAs. There will be other, cheaper depth guys + rookies. I'm not signing a vet backup. I'd like to. But with Zachs contract and Carrs contract, I simply can't afford to sign another 

Draft:

Rd. 1- OT: Best LT on the board. Right now, there are 3 I consider: Paris Johnson, Skoronski and Broderick Jones. All 3 could be gone by the time I pick at 13. If so, I trade down or take BAP: Edge, LB, IOL or WR. Here are some guys that I would love to snatch up if they fall to me at 13: Q.Johnston-WR, Myles Murphy-Edge, Jalen Carter-DT. Pretty much top 10 non-QB, non OT talents. Otherwise I trade down and take someone like Trenton Simpson-OLB, O'Cyrus Torrence- OG/T, Dawand Jones- OT, Anton Harrison- OT, Drew Sanders- LB, Rashee Rice- WR. 

Rd. 2- Best OLB/ILB/LB on the board. The Jets need a great talent at LB. Sherwood has looked good but not great. Mosley is old with an a bloated contract. If he's not cut this is his last year as a Jet. I like Kwon and Quincy but we need a talented LB who is fast, can cover, hit like a truck and be the leader of this young defense once Mosley is gone. I really like Drew Sanders from Arkansas. I had him in Rd. 1 as a potential option if we trade down. If he is there in Rd. 2 I scoop him up. 

Rd. 3- Best DT on the board: There are a number of ways I can go here (Safety, WR, IOL). But I'm going after a specific player who I absolutely love and who I think would take this defense to another level- Calijah Kancey- DT. Attacking, pass rushing DT. I know Jet fans will be clamoring for a run stuffing DT, but thats not what the Jets look for in their DTs. They need penetrators who get to the QB and that is exactly the skill set Kancey posessess, in spades. Him and QW, with JFM and Huff on 3rd down will absolutely terrorize O-lines as a 4 man front. 

Rd. 4- Shocker- I take a QB: Jake Haener. I really like Hendon Hooker but I think he is gone by now. And Haener is just such an intriguing prospect he is worth the gamble in Rd. 4. He will be my 3rd QB behind Carr and Zach. And frankly, I think he can surpass Zach on the depth chart if he gets a shot to prove himself on the field.  

Rd. 5- Now I take my Safety: Assuming we held on to Whitehead, I am looking for a 'ball-hawk' type FS. Jammie Robinson out of FSU is my target. He will compete with some backup depth to start as the FS. Yes, this might still be our weakest position, but I love what Robinson brings to the table. 

Rd. 6- WR: Typically, you go high upside developmental prospect here but I'm going with a reliable, high floor WR. Note- The reason I wait this long for a WR is because this is a weak draft class at WR. Once the top WRs are off the board, you might as well wait and take one at the back-end of the draft. We are drafting for depth anyway. There should be a number of options but I take a guy like Ronnie Bell-WR out of Michigan. This is the type of WR who will step in and contribute right away either as a depth piece or on specials. He is versatile and can play outside or in the slot or be used in 'gimmick' plays. Reliable hands. Good in space. Nothing special but good depth to have. 

Offense:

QB: Carr, Zach, Jake Haener

RB: Bam, Carter, (Breece comes back when he is healthy) 

WR: Wilson, Moore, Mims, Smith (or vet FA if possible), Ronnie Bell

TE: Conklin, CJ, Ruckert

O-Line: Brown/Rookie (Paris Johnson?)/Becton/swing FA-OT, AVT/Herbig, FA- C, Tomlinson/Herbig, Becton/Mitchell/Rookie/swing FA-OT

Defense:

CB: Sauce/Reed/Carter/Echols

S: Whitehead/Robinson/Adams/Parks

D-line: JFM/Clemons, Kancey/S.Thomas, QW, Huff/JJ

LB: Mosley/D.Sanders/Sherwood, Quincy/Kwon 

Specials: 

K: Legatron P: Anyone better than Mann

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Any thought to using AVT at LT and drafting an OG in the middle rounds who can start? Would save $$$ and not require 1st round pick.

Also, what about drafting a longterm Center and moving McGovern to OG?

I think AVT plays one of the tackle spots and the other is either Mitchell or a high pick.