What will Aaron Rodgers cost via trade?

Morrissey

I do not have a good feel for the cost at all. 39 year old QB with a huge contract. Should not be multiple first rounders should it?

Please note what it cost to acquire another 39 year old QB:

The draft pick traded for Favre turns into a third-round selection if he plays in 50 percent of the plays this season, a second-rounder if he plays in 70 percent of the plays and the Jets qualify for the playoffs, and a first-round pick if he plays in 80 percent of the plays and Jets make it to the Super Bowl.

Ending up being a 3rd rounder (83rd overall)

• Sympathy 1

Breakdown of Rodgers contract per OTC

https://www.google.com/amp/s/overthecap.com/looking-ahead-to-the-packers-options-with-aaron-rodgers/amp

He has an option that must be exercised by week 1, would drop his cap hit to $15m apparently. There is another option after the season should he decide he wants to keep playing. This would basically be a 1-2 year deal based on Rodgers health/Zachs development.

I would want to send a 2024 conditional pick similar to Favre:

3rd - baseline

2nd - playoffs

1st - SB

The piece I'm not too sure of is how much Rodgers controls a trade without a no trade clause. He could threaten retirement and cripple any team, perhaps that's how he would dictate where he wants to go?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I don’t think it will be 3 firsts or anything crazy, but I also don’t think it would be as cheap as Farve was.  Anything less than a second and I’d be shocked.  

Favre would have been at least a 2nd had he not torn his biceps, I believe playoffs was the trigger in that trade. I could see Lafleur structuring a trade to help Saleh assuming the 2nd is what they get.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Favre would have been at least a 2nd had he not torn his biceps, I believe playoffs was the trigger in that trade. I could see Lafleur structuring a trade to help Saleh assuming the 2nd is what they get.

I don’t think it would be one team bidding against themselves for more Rodgers, so the price could escalate.

If you were JD and the price was 2 1sts or no deal do you pay?  I think so.   It’s playoffs or no job this next season.  

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He's due a ~$60MM signing/option bonus in March. Yes his cap hit would only be 1/4 of that for 2023 - since his last extension ran through the 2026 season - but the other $45MM still has to come off.

• If it's a 1 & done, then that $45MM all hits in 2024.
  • If it's 2 & done, then 2024 comes with another $50MM on top of that, again with only 1/3 (1 of the now-remaining 3) coming in the immediate year, plus another $15MM (1/4 of the prior $60MM) also hitting in 2024.
  • Then if it gets as far as year 3, when he tells his team to pound sand, you've got the remaining ~$30MM from 2023's ~$60MM, plus another ~$31MM from 2024's $47MM option bonus -- about $60MM in dead cap following the 2024 season, and - after turning down his request for a pay bump from $21MM to $40-50MM again - you have to pray & ask Rodgers to be nice to us to walk away after June 1st to not have all of it hit in 2025. (Can still work around that by backloading $30MM to others so they hit more after 2025, but it can get a little messy even if it's doable). 

Why is he telling his team to pound sand after 2024? Because those 2025 and 2026 seasons are fake/fluff years. He's not playing for $21MM in 2025 and then $15MM in 2026. If he's still worth having he's going to want those years bumped up in pay, too.

Anyway, it is doable -- but then the team is going all-in on 2023 (or 2023 + 2024), with an expected dump season in 2025. Only way out of that future for 2025+ is if we find a dirt-cheap rookie starter locked in at $1-2MM/year like Purdy, so the total QB number for the team can be swallowed without tanking before they start.

What won't help absorb all that is dumping multiple high picks. Again it's doable but to fully offset it Douglas would to have to hit on 2-3 more cheap FAs and day 3 picks - really hit on 1-2 of them, not merely find cheap but meh temporary starters - than we'd otherwise have to. 

Great breakdown, I'm curious to see how it all shakes out. I do think Rodgers does have some leverage with his contract. He can offer to renegotiate it if he goes to X team, almost like a no trade clause. I do think he wants money and is totally blowing smoke about wanting the "Brady Treatment"

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Great breakdown, I'm curious to see how it all shakes out. I do think Rodgers does have some leverage with his contract. He can offer to renegotiate it if he goes to X team, almost like a no trade clause. I do think he wants money and is totally blowing smoke about wanting the "Brady Treatment"

Yep, the problem - for a new team - is he signed a 3 yr $150MM extension, and just finished the $40MM cheapest year of the 3, leaving 2 years $110MM remaining for a new team (the 2 years beyond that, again, are just fluff).

• Ugh 1

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yep, the problem - for a new team - is he signed a 3 yr $150MM extension, and just finished the $40MM cheapest year of the 3, leaving 2 years $110MM remaining for a new team (the 2 years beyond that, again, are just fluff).

Couldn't he waive his guarantees he hasn't received?

1 minute ago, pointman said:

Rodgers isn't worth it just for us having to listen to that moron speak during the week and post game. I can't take that monotone dumbass with his grin and self inflated ego. Let the douche bot freeze over in green bay or melt into obscurity in retirement. 

Rodgers is a bad bet. I'd take Le'Marr Jackson over Aaron Rogers and I don't even want that declining running back to be the Jets next QB1.

5 minutes ago, pointman said:

Rodgers isn't worth it just for us having to listen to that moron speak during the week and post game. I can't take that monotone dumbass with his grin and self inflated ego. Let the douche bot freeze over in green bay or melt into obscurity in retirement. 

I’d take all of Rodgers’ negative aspects and tales of a shaman’s apprentice over babying Zach Wilson and holding no accountability like we do now.

• Haha 1

Just now, Darnold's Forehead said:

I’d take all of Rodgers’ negative aspects and tales of a shaman’s apprentice over babying Zach Wilson and holding no accountability like we do now.

I laughed out loud. Saleh has to go if you want the coddling or whatever else to end. He sucks. Rodgers mentoring Zach is either the greatest thing to happen or the worst. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Why would he? He's been saying he still can play at an MVP level on a better team.

I guess it's possible, but it'd be shocking af. 

To facilitate a trade to a winning team. I suppose that would require us to assume he was serious about coming back to win it all

How does it work as far as coming to some kind of agreement with GB right now or early on in the offseason regarding a Rodgers trade, where you basically agree in principle and wait for the deal to go through on June 1st?  Would that even be legal?  If it's not, I'm not sure that's a risk JD would want to take.  Letting the rest of the market pass you by in hopes that you can trade for this dude.  Even if you can, at that point GB has you over a barrel since you've banked your entire offseason on this.  They can just be like "ok you don't want to part with a 1st?  I guess you're fine with Zach Wilson starting for you next year".  

I think if they wanted to take this gamble they'd at the very least have to bring back White early on or a guy like Dalton as insurance.  

23 minutes ago, pointman said:

lol. I'll bite, in this Troll City. Then who do you want as QB1?

Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, Baker Mayfield, Gardner Minshew. Any of those QB's are fine by me, because we keep our draft picks. Jets need to embrace their defensive identity and keep building this team up with draft picks. Find a QB this off-season to make the offense function enough to score more points than the opposition.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

35 minutes ago, JetsAddict said:

I think it would be hilarious. No way Rodgers buys into Salehs rah rah bs

He feels the need to try and sugarcoat everything.

Even something as simple (and commonplace) as the OC firing had to be framed in some BS language to make it sound as if it were nothing more than people-person Saleh ”doing right by” his friend.

I see a similar problem with the way Zach Wilson was handled.

He’s had mechanical problems since BYU, yet they haven’t acknowledged it until they were absolutely forced to.

If the HC isn’t honestly willing to confront the issues on his team (not just ZW), how do those issues ever get resolved?  By tossing bouquets and 200M at Aaron Rodgers?

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He's due a ~$60MM signing/option bonus in March. Yes his cap hit would only be 1/4 of that for 2023 - since his last extension ran through the 2026 season - but the other $45MM still has to come off.

• If it's a 1 & done, then that $45MM all hits in 2024.
  • If it's 2 & done, then 2024 comes with another $50MM on top of that, again with only 1/3 (1 of the now-remaining 3 years) coming in the immediate season, plus another $15MM (1/4 of the prior $60MM) also hitting in 2024.
  • Then if it gets as far as year 3, when he tells his team to pound sand, you've got the remaining ~$30MM from 2023's ~$60MM, plus another ~$31MM from 2024's $47MM option bonus -- about $60MM in dead cap following the 2024 season, and - after turning down his request for a pay bump from $21MM to $40-50MM again - you have to pray & ask Rodgers to be nice to us to walk away after June 1st to not have all of it hit in 2025. (Can still work around that by backloading $30MM to others so they hit more after 2025, but it can get a little messy even if it's doable). 

Why is he telling his team to pound sand after 2024? Because those 2025 and 2026 seasons are fake/fluff years. He's not playing for $21MM in 2025 and then $15MM in 2026. If he's still worth having he's going to want those years bumped up in pay, too.

Anyway, it is doable -- but then the team is going all-in on 2023 (or 2023 + 2024), with an expected dump season in 2025. Only way out of that future for 2025+ is if we find a dirt-cheap rookie starter locked in at $1-2MM/year like Purdy, so the total QB number for the team can be swallowed without tanking before they start.

What won't help absorb all that is dumping multiple high picks. Again it's doable but to fully offset it Douglas would to have to hit on 2-3 more cheap FAs and day 3 picks - really hit on 1-2 of them, not merely find cheap but meh temporary starters - than we'd otherwise have to. 

who is going to pay more than 1 first rounder to take this huge contract on?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yep, and that's the thing with Lamar/Rogers.  Our current timing is basically 1 year off for this sort of thing as its unlikely we can win a superbowl in that first year.  So its basically an all in on 2024, superbowl or bust with years of cap hell misery after that (without draft assets to really rescue us).

But its not much better for the midrange 'playoff' QB either.  Carr's contract will also hurt us for years, just not to that same extent.

• Upvote 1

I’d give up #13 for him without thinking twice. Toss in a 2024 mid-round pick if it helps seal the deal.

What would you rather have, the 3rd ranked OT in the draft or Aaron Rodgers at QB for the next two years?

The choice is obvious for me.

Rodgers or Carr should be the highest priority with Garoppolo a distant 3rd.

Anything less than that will be a massive letdown and you might as well prepare yourself for another tear down next offseason.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Untouchable said:

I’d give up #13 for him without thinking twice. Toss in a 2024 mid-round pick if it helps seal the deal.

What would you rather have, the 3rd ranked OT in the draft or Aaron Rodgers at QB for the next two years?

The choice is obvious for me.

Rodgers or Carr should be the highest priority with Garoppolo a distant 3rd.

Anything less than that will be a massive letdown and you might as well prepare yourself for another tear down next offseason.

It has to be one of those 3 guys.

I would rank them 1. Rodgers 2. Garoppolo 3. Carr

1 hour ago, section314 said:

A7-10 last place team shouldn’t be mortgaging the future on a 39 year old QB to “ go for it now.” It’s assinine.

that's certainly one way to look at it but the way the talent has been accumulated on the jets it will be a disservice to the players not to be competitive.  they want to win and the jets need to find the right qb to make that happen.  there's a slim chance that zwilson or even mfw could be the qb for next season but without an objective evaluation by the new oc, it's very uncertain.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

A7-10 last place team shouldn’t be mortgaging the future on a 39 year old QB to “ go for it now.” It’s assinine.

That 7-10 team was at one time sitting at 7-4 until the sh*ttiest QB play in the league did them in.

Going from Zach Wilson/Mike White at QB to Aaron Rodgers is a monumental difference.

• Upvote 1