What will Aaron Rodgers cost via trade?

Morrissey

lol some mock has us trading our 1st and 2nd THIS year....dude doesn't know how the cap works I guess.  If GB wants picks this year they'll have to eat $40M of dead cap(vs $15M if they wait until June, after the draft).   

Still, even if he could be traded right now, no way in SAM'S ICE COLD HELL am I trading that much for present-day Rodgers.  Would rather just sign Jimmy G and keep the picks.  Jimmy G + 1st round OL + 2nd round FS/LB/C >>>> 39 year old Aaron Rodgers.  Sorry.  

• Upvote 1

On 1/23/2023 at 11:31 AM, section314 said:

A7-10 last place team shouldn’t be mortgaging the future on a 39 year old QB to “ go for it now.” It’s assinine.

So true 

The last season hasn't even ended and we've convinced ourselves that next year is super bowl or bust 

• Upvote 1

On 1/23/2023 at 11:33 AM, Darnold's Forehead said:

I’d take all of Rodgers’ negative aspects and tales of a shaman’s apprentice over babying Zach Wilson and holding no accountability like we do now.

WTF does "no accountability " even mean???? I keep hearing that and I have no idea what it has to do with running a football team.  

42 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

lol some mock has us trading our 1st and 2nd THIS year....dude doesn't know how the cap works I guess.  If GB wants picks this year they'll have to eat $40M of dead cap(vs $15M if they wait until June, after the draft).   

Jordan Love does not count much against the cap.  If the Packers did the trade before the draft, yes they eat $40mm of Rodgers, but then they are done.  Their QB room costs a little over $40mm with Rodgers, which looks like some other teams.  GB basically reboots and gets Love experience, and then they roll next year with a QB on the 5th year option costing $20mm.  Its not that crazy.  

On 1/23/2023 at 1:12 PM, football guy said:

Realistically I think the Jets could land Rodgers for something like a first-round pick and a conditional third-rounder in 2024 or two second-round picks (2024 becoming a first-rounder if certain achievements are reached). 

The Packers made it clear that they are not playing hardball anymore. If they mutually believe its time to part ways, the Packers will give Rodgers a list of teams that they will trade him to, then the Packers would work on compensation with those teams. But given Rodgers' age and contract, compensation wouldn't be nearly as vast as we've seen for some of the other QB trades recently. 

That's too much considering his age, his declining play, and his massively bloated contract.  If the Jets make that trade, the rebuild starts in 2025 when the old man and his contract are off the books and we will have to start paying the young stars their second contracts. That trade potentially cripples the Jets for 4-5 years.  Signing Carr for $30 million without the draft pick compensation is a better deal.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

So true 

The last season hasn't even ended and we've convinced ourselves that next year is super bowl or bust 

I know, it’s nuts. It’s like this team is year 3 of Rex or year 3 of Parcells. You are in Philly… what’s the word down there on Petulo and Johnson? I know they have bigger fish to fry right now, but you hearing anything?

• Upvote 1

I don't want to give up a 1st and and 3rd or two seconds for Rodgers if we have to pay him $10 million.  I don't want to pay him $110 million over two years without giving up the draft picks.  Both are too much standing alone. When you combine the draft picks for a trade and the $$$ - it's an obscene overpay for an old man who is testing positive for Geritol, is declining, and is a condescending jerk.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

I know, it’s nuts. It’s like this team is year 3 of Rex or year 3 of Parcells. You are in Philly… what’s the word down there on Petulo and Johnson? I know they have bigger fish to fry right now, but you hearing anything?

We had patullo he was Ryan Fitz qb coach on the 2015 NYJ. That was actually a decent offense (at times)

Presumably he's gotten better in the 8 years since. I like him and think he could adjust his scheme to the different players strengths 

The eagles hc does a great job assembling his staff, I'd be happy with either guy. But patullo more. 

Johnson could be an interesting hire from a qb mechanics perspective. They'd sell it as a college type dude to save Zach's footwork 

• Upvote 1

Bailing out the Packers with something like this would be one of the dumbest things Woody has ever done.

Rodgers is coming off a down year and already has one foot in Cabo or wherever he's planning to go as soon as he retires.

Just do what the 9ers did.  Keep drafting QBs every year and eventually you hit on somebody that's at least competent.

Just draft 2 QBs per year until you find the guy.  You don't have to take one on day 1.  You can wait until day 2 or 3.

The upside of actually hitting on a QB in the draft so far outweighs the risk of wasting, say, a day 3 pick.  Most day 3 picks don't end up doing jack anyways.

24 minutes ago, varjet said:

Jordan Love does not count much against the cap.  If the Packers did the trade before the draft, yes they eat $40mm of Rodgers, but then they are done.  Their QB room costs a little over $40mm with Rodgers, which looks like some other teams.  GB basically reboots and gets Love experience, and then they roll next year with a QB on the 5th year option costing $20mm.  Its not that crazy.  

It IS crazy when they can just, you know, wait til June....  you're basically eating an extra $25M because you just HAVE to have picks this year instead of next.  It really makes no sense.  

AROD is on Pat McAfee show right now. They asked him about the trade talk and he went on for like 5 minutes about how you have to decompress and give yourself time to decide whether you're going to play every year.

This is the biggest problem with him and that contract. He could easily retire next year if he even plays again this year..

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rillo said:

If this team gives up two first rounders for a 39yo QB that doesn't know if he wants to play year to year, I think I'll quit. 

Couldnt agree more.  Here are 2 stat lines from 2022.  One guys sucks and we dont want him here and the other guy we are going to give up 2 first round picks for??????

3,695  64.6%  26 tds and 12 ints

3,522  60.8%  24 tds and 14 ints

I sincerely hope JD doesnt get pushed into this by our moronic owner.

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

AROD is on Pat McAfee show right now. They asked him about the trade talk and he went on for like 5 minutes about how you have to decompress and give yourself time to decide whether you're going to play every year.

This is the biggest problem with him and that contract. He could easily retire next year if he even plays again this year..

exactly. 

Let's say he comes here and the Jets start 0-2 or go on a 3 game losing streak in mid November - Is he "all in" at that point? What about the first time there is some controversy in the locker room with a player? 

Compare that to Carr who clearly still wants to play and will have a chip on his shoulder after being dumped by the only team he's ever played for. 

58 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

no one is giving up 2 first round picks for Rodgers. Well - maybe the Raiders would do something that stupid, but no other team would.

I hope you're right. At least when it comes to this team. I don't trust Woody. 

exactly. 
Let's say he comes here and the Jets start 0-2 or go on a 3 game losing streak in mid November - Is he "all in" at that point? What about the first time there is some controversy in the locker room with a player? 
Compare that to Carr who clearly still wants to play and will have a chip on his shoulder after being dumped by the only team he's ever played for. 
Meh .. he would be hired as a caretaker to try and win now while a long term answer is developed.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Meh .. he would be hired as a caretaker to try and win now while a long term answer is developed.

yea, it could be fine. But I just worry. We don't have the best luck bringing in vets at the tail end of their careers. 

Rodgers is a major risk, IMO. Maybe he balls next year, but I could see him being checked out and half terrible. 

11 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

So you will pay multiple picks and cap money for a caretaker who may or may not be fully into winning?

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

exactly. 

fwiw he seemed like he would either be all-in or not play/retire, which is why he takes time to decide. 

He also mentioned after I posted that, that he expects his contract will have to change if he's playing whether traded or not. I thought that was an interesting tidbit.

• Upvote 1

On 1/23/2023 at 11:40 AM, bonkertons said:

How does it work as far as coming to some kind of agreement with GB right now or early on in the offseason regarding a Rodgers trade, where you basically agree in principle and wait for the deal to go through on June 1st?  Would that even be legal?  If it's not, I'm not sure that's a risk JD would want to take.  Letting the rest of the market pass you by in hopes that you can trade for this dude.  Even if you can, at that point GB has you over a barrel since you've banked your entire offseason on this.  They can just be like "ok you don't want to part with a 1st?  I guess you're fine with Zach Wilson starting for you next year".  

I think if they wanted to take this gamble they'd at the very least have to bring back White early on or a guy like Dalton as insurance.  

Saleh and Lafleur are best friends - they won't hang each other out to dry. 

Carr is still option 1 for me (as mentioned - chip on his shoulder after being dumped could be a plus).  It can work with a top, elite D.

Rodgers is option 2.  Intriguing..(could mentor Zach - who I’m not giving up on) but more risky and costly.  However, he wouldn't sign unless the O-line is seriously beefed up..and by giving up the #1 pick at least.. a reliable upgrade would need to come via free agency.

Don’t see Lamar as a realistic 3rd option.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Hard to imagine them getting 2 firsts from anybody. Giving them #13 for a two year rental I can get on board with. It's certainly better than the two year rental we took at #2. So it all works out

Rodgers won’t cost 2 firsts

The Zach Cucks will create any type of strawman argument to support Zach ultimately destroying another season of jet football 

7 minutes ago, VJphillyfan said:

Rodgers won’t cost 2 firsts

The Zach Cucks will create any type of strawman argument to support Zach ultimately destroying another season of jet football 

You just yesterday wanted to give them Quinnen Williams and a 2nd rounder, all of a sudden you dismissively say 'it wont cost two firsts.  

• Haha 3

Trade down in the 1st and a 3rd or a 2nd and a 3rd.  No way it’s two 1st round picks. If packers hold out for that, we will get Carr for much cheaper and be able to get a tackle in the draft. Otherwise, what’s the point. We cannot continue on with this crap O-line. We have 1 good legit starter (AVT).