What will Aaron Rodgers cost via trade?

Morrissey

14 minutes ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

You are all on crack with this Aaron Rodgers stuff. Trading picks for a 72 year old QB who on his best day is a locker room distraction is fool's gold.

Favre 2.0 minus the dick picks to a 23 year old intern. 

We never learn a thing.

In going to assume you didn't watch the Jets when Favre played. Before he got hurt they were the best team in the nfl

• Upvote 2

I listened to part of the podcast and he said that he heard last week that the Jets were the team with the Raiders as the backup option. I'm assuming that came from either the Packers or Rodgers camp since the Raiders were mentioned as well as the 2nd choice. 

He also says he thinks it'll be a 2 day rd pick this year and a conditional pick next year.  I think he's just speculating on that though. 

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I listened to part of the podcast and he said that he heard last week that the Jets were the team with the Raiders as the backup option. I'm assuming that came from either the Packers or Rodgers camp since the Raiders were mentioned as well as the 2nd choice. 

He also says he thinks it'll be a 2 day rd pick this year and a conditional pick next year.  I think he's just speculating on that though. 

Frick What GIF

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

8-3, first place in AFC East, follows it up with his best year of career in Minnesota

18 minutes ago, choon328 said:

In going to assume you didn't watch the Jets when Favre played. Before he got hurt they were the best team in the nfl

Hold on, let me push stop on my NY Jets 2008 Super Bowl Champions DVD and think about that again.

The Jets are in the predicament they are in because since the days after Ken O'Brien, they have been incapable of drafting and developing a serviceable franchise QB. With the exception of Pennington, it's been the Gong Show under center with FA after FA after FA. Sure, some of them were very solid. Vinny, Favre.....i will not argue there. But there's a reason we haven't had success long term and musical FA QB is it.

17 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Drives me nuts. They were beating the 10-0 Titans on the road. Team was great. He stupidly tried to play injured and everything went to hell. 

Doesn’t always work of course but sometimes you have to swing for the fences. 

5 minutes ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

Hold on, let me push stop on my NY Jets 2008 Super Bowl Champions DVD and think about that again.

The Jets are in the predicament they are in because since the days after Ken O'Brien, they have been incapable of drafting and developing a serviceable franchise QB. With the exception of Pennington, it's been the Gong Show under center with FA after FA after FA. Sure, some of them were very solid. Vinny, Favre.....i will not argue there. But there's a reason we haven't had success long term and musical FA QB is it.

So your solution after 50 years of drafting QBs who never work out is to continue to do that instead of bringing in one of the best QBs of all time and at 39 probably still the best QB to ever put on a Jets uniform? 

29 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Jet said:

Drives me nuts. They were beating the 10-0 Titans on the road. Team was great. He stupidly tried to play injured and everything went to hell. 

Doesn’t always work of course but sometimes you have to swing for the fences. 

He played through injuries throughout his career and was well known as being an iron man. If you want to blame anyone it's mangini but what were his options?

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Why are you assuming the trade is Rodgers decision? The team is shopping him because they drafted Love and think he's ready and Rodgers is old, talks about retirement every year and has a big contract. Love is reportedly going to ask for a trade if Rodgers doesn't retire and the Packers don't trade him.

Good points. I can see why they'd want to get out from under his contract, but it looks like they would have to wait until after June 1 to trade him to avoid a huge cap hit  After June 1 the dead-money hit would be just $15.8MM along with a $24.5MM charge in 2024. A pre-June 1 trade would cost the GB a $40.3MM dead-cap hit. I cannot attest to the accuracy of the numbers. I got them from an article. By June 1, Carr and Garrapaolo will be on their new teams and the QB needy teams that are left will be competing for Rogers. That is not a good scenario for the Jets, or the other teams. 

Also, that is still a pretty big 2 year cap hit even with a trade after june 1.  I wonder what GB would do if Rogers agreed that this would be his last season with GB? Would they give him his farewell tour? Would that placate Love (who, fwiw, has not said that he would demand a trade).

34 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Good points. I can see why they'd want to get out from under his contract, but it looks like they would have to wait until after June 1 to trade him to avoid a huge cap hit  After June 1 the dead-money hit would be just $15.8MM along with a $24.5MM charge in 2024. A pre-June 1 trade would cost the GB a $40.3MM dead-cap hit. I cannot attest to the accuracy of the numbers. I got them from an article. By June 1, Carr and Garrapaolo will be on their new teams and the QB needy teams that are left will be competing for Rogers. That is not a good scenario for the Jets, or the other teams. 

Also, that is still a pretty big 2 year cap hit even with a trade after june 1.  I wonder what GB would do if Rogers agreed that this would be his last season with GB? Would they give him his farewell tour? Would that placate Love (who, fwiw, has not said that he would demand a trade).

edit: corrected- trades cannot be designated

I believe teams have the option of designating a trade as "post june 1" for cap reasons when doing so before hand. Rodgers has said he expects his contract to change if he keeps playing (whether w/gb or not). so - not sure what that means.

everything that has been discussed to date makes it seem manageable for either team if a trade were to go down in terms of cap.

17 hours ago, Jetsfan_always said:

1980s -Boomer

1990s - Favre

late 1990s - Testaverde

early 2000s - Neil O'donnell

2010s - Flacco

How many freaking times is the team going to bring in a re-tread way past their prime? Do they want to win a championship or fill a few more seats with a name?

How could you not remember Sam Baugh???

Foolish mortal.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I believe teams have the option of designating a trade as "post june 1" for cap reasons when doing so before hand. Rodgers has said he expects his contract to change if he keeps playing (whether w/gb or not). so - not sure what that means.

everything that has been discussed to date makes it seem manageable for either team if a trade were to go down in terms of cap.

I know a team can designate up to 2 players as post June 1 cuts before June 1. I didn't realize they could do it for trades, but I guess nothing stops them from making an agreement in principle before June 1 and pulling the trigger after June 1. Although, IMO GB should at least wait until after Carr and Garrapolo are signed because the competition for Rogers would be more desperate and drive up the price. 

49 minutes ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

Who do you want to draft this year that saves Douglas and Saleh their jobs? I understand your frustration but circumstance will dictate the decision here.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I know a team can designate up to 2 players as post June 1 cuts before June 1. I didn't realize they could do it for trades, but I guess nothing stops them from making an agreement in principle before June 1 and pulling the trigger after June 1. Although, IMO GB should at least wait until after Carr and Garrapolo are signed because the competition for Rogers would be more desperate and drive up the price. 

Covered this with @Sperm Edwards. Trades cannot be designated post-June 1. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Who do you want to draft this year that saves Douglas and Saleh their jobs? I understand your frustration but circumstance will dictate the decision here.

If the Jets aren’t really in on Carr, Rodgers is their one path to remaining employed. Both Hughes and Rosenblatt are reporting that the Jets coaches have little to no hope for Wilson, and that the only thing keeping him on the roster is the embarrassment factor of trading him for a Day 3 pick. Garoppolo’s appeal goes down the more you watch Brock Purdy play football, and that’s before you factor in paying for a backup if/when Garoppolo gets hurt. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Are you comparing Boomer, Testaverde , O Donnell and Flacco to Aaron Rodgers? Are you saying these guys are similar? At any point in their careers? 

I mean, he also thinks Brett Favre played for the Jets in the 90s when he became the first and only 3x consecutive league MVP, and won 1/2 SBs.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

You are all on crack with this Aaron Rodgers stuff. Trading picks for a 72 year old QB who on his best day is a locker room distraction is fool's gold.

Favre 2.0 minus the dick picks to a 23 year old intern. 

We never learn a thing.

Rodgers is 72? He’s 39 last I checked and a pocket qb with no major injury history.  The Favre trade had us at 8-3 until he got injured. Chad would have gotten us a sure first round elimination and Kellen Clemens was awful

Oh and Zach Wilson is awful

Some of the names I’m hearing like Baker, Tannehill and Brisset make me nauseous 

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If the Jets aren’t really in on Carr, Rodgers is their one path to remaining employed. Both Hughes and Rosenblatt are reporting that the Jets coaches have little to no hope for Wilson, and that the only thing keeping him on the roster is the embarrassment factor of trading him for a Day 3 pick. Garoppolo’s appeal goes down the more you watch Brock Purdy play football, and that’s before you factor in paying for a backup if/when Garoppolo gets hurt. 

I do think we'd look at Jimmy G regardless of what Purdy does. If anything that should drive his price down some. I'd imagine worst case scenario we are running it with Ryan Tannehill but we'd have to miss one Carr, Jimmy, Rodgers, and Lamar before we consider him. Honestly I hope we don't consider him at all.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

But surely you can agree in principle before June 1 and pull the trigger after June 1? 

You could, but then it puts GB in the position to renegotiate and demand more after the Jets have let every other opportunity pass them by, in both FA and in the draft.

Beyond that (not that I'd need to go beyond that) you're surely experienced enough to know you make a transaction when you've gotten the terms you want from a transaction partner who doesn't really need to make this deal with you. You certainly don't sit back for 3 more months & tempt fate by giving the other side time to not just reconsider, but even find a better offer.

What if Love gets into a car accident or tears his ACL in a friendly pickup game (or during minicamp outright). What if anything that was otherwise unforeseen -- you do it when you can do it. Especially when the stakes are this high.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I do think we'd look at Jimmy G regardless of what Purdy does. If anything that should drive his price down some. I'd imagine worst case scenario we are running it with Ryan Tannehill but we'd have to miss one Carr, Jimmy, Rodgers, and Lamar before we consider him. Honestly I hope we don't consider him at all.

The Jets are going to try to sell us on Jimmy Glassopolo next summer.  

• Upvote 1

If I am Woody I am setting budgets. 

the first round is Jimmy G and Carr.  We should be aggressive.  

If we miss, then we are basically bidding against the raiders for Rodgers.  Brady is a better fit there.   I don’t know how many bids there will be.  Rodgers will cost money, but we have to minimize the draft picks. 

25 minutes ago, varjet said:

If I am Woody I am setting budgets. 

the first round is Jimmy G and Carr.  We should be aggressive.  

If we miss, then we are basically bidding against the raiders for Rodgers.  Brady is a better fit there.   I don’t know how many bids there will be.  Rodgers will cost money, but we have to minimize the draft picks. 

The 13th overall is off the table because I think we can get a good OL which we really need.  As for Carr and Jimmy G I highly doubt anyone is going to offer anything near that so no point in competing against  ourselves.  As for Rodgers he is 39, coming off a down year, and the cap hit.  I mean I would offer a 23 second and a conditional first in 24.  The conditions are that Rodgers obviously doesn’t retire after 23 and we make the playoffs.  

20 hours ago, choon328 said:

That was my suggestion in another thread.  Round 2 (pick 43) this year, and a conditional 1st next year depending on how far into the playoffs we get.  Might also take another conditional 1st for 2025 (MAYBE).

But we need that number 13 pick this year to get an OT on a rookie deal.  Without that, there is no way this works.