If Jets let McGovern walk in free agency

Rhg1084

You know what, would we all love at the 13th pick to draft the next great Jets Center like Fields, Mangold, etc. even in FA we got Mawae. That is a position we have historically done well with getting no matter the GM and believe it or not is somewhat of a corner stone for the offense. All of the guys I mentioned called out all the protections leaving a big chunk of what is critically needed off the QBs plate. Imagine if Sanchez had to do that if Mangold didn’t do it?. Forget not getting to 2 AFC title games. We would not have made the playoffs those years. I would do that if at 13th there is a better C there than OT since every year centers drop to mid to late 1st or early 2nd round, and by 13th probably 4 or more OTs likely will be off the board.

3 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

You know what, would we all love at the 13th pick to draft the next great Jets Center like Fields, Mangold, etc. even in FA we got Mawae. That is a position we have historically done well with getting no matter the GM and believe it or not is somewhat of a corner stone for the offense. All of the guys I mentioned called out all the protections leaving a big chunk of what is critically needed off the QBs plate. Imagine if Sanchez had to do that if Mangold didn’t do it?. Forget not getting to 2 AFC title games. We would not have made the playoffs those years. I would do that if at 13th there is a better C there than OT since every year centers drop to mid to late 1st or early 2nd round, and by 13th probably 4 or more OTs likely will be off the board.

No first round caliber center in this draft class. Some think no top 100 center. Shouldn’t be an option at 13.

6 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

I don't think we'd all love it, other than I suppose as opposed to the hindsight knowledge that the high-value position they took instead was a bust.

Would I still "love" it if I knew the guy they also could've had was the next JJ (or TJ) Watt? Next tall superstar WR? Next reliable beast of a LT who can actually stay on the field? The next Mangold doesn't measure up to those more valuable team assets, as much as he was a deserved fan favorite.

That's besides the truth is all you're getting at #13 is a prospect. You aren't getting Fields, Mangold, or Mawae; and there's no historical evidence suggesting the way to get an excellent center is by burning such a high draft pick, nor that centers are particularly low-bust positions when taken early.

If you take a center that early, his acceptable floor is if he's a pro bowler. But really anything other than the best center in football (or whatever, top 2-ish) and it was a massive overspend. Particularly since no one else is taking a center that high anyway, so the Jets could've traded down & still got their man if they were thinking center in round 1 (and hopefully they aren't). 

I'm not aware of anyone entering this year's draft with his hype, and the last time there was one he ended up dropping into the mid-20s in a draft that didn't have 3+ QBs taken early, so any center taken that early in 2023 would be a massive, misguided reach: a guy they could've had a round later (or by trading down 15-20 slots) and still would've gotten anyway.

Half the time there isn't a 1st round center, and half the time there is, the top guy isn't worth a 5th year option (e.g. recent center 1st round picks Bradbury, Ruiz, Price, Erving, etc.). Just because they're taken that high doesn't mean they're good. 

e.g. what if they could sign Kelce? Philadelphia has drafted his replacement and, while he's on the wrong side of 35 now, was instrumental in taking Dickerson under his wing, but he might retire if the Eagles don't bring him back. The Jets have a bit of an advantage in this regard as they're so close to Philadelphia he wouldn't have to move if he didn't want to; not like his best offer being from Minnesota, Denver, etc.

Also remains to be seen if anyone else become available from a team that is now willing to go with the next man up.