Jets' Joe Douglas Facing Salary Cap Crisis This Offseason

doitny

6 hours ago, undertow said:

This was initially meant to be a joke or exaggeration but now dummies repeat it and they are serious......of course you can manipulate the cap and go all in but eventually you will have to bottom out like the Rams are doing now.   

Yeah but they won a SB so who cares. The Jets have been bottoming out for a decade with nothing to show for it except tons of cap space. 

2 hours ago, slats said:

It is also a myth that the salary cap is a myth. 

The Jets are not in crisis, and JD did not go all in last year, either. He mortgaged exactly one contract, Mosley’s, and has a number of deals to operate with this season that have high salaries and little or no guaranteed money left. He’s managed the cap efficiently so far in his tenure, and has a lot moves to make. 

Now this could be a push in the chips type season that’s either successful or screws the next guy. Around here, since Parcells at least, screwing the next guy is usually how it works. 

If they land Rodgers they have to push all of the chips to the table to try to win in the next 3 years.  They're not as far away as people would like to think, especially with the defense playing the way it did.  They need to add a legit outside WR opposite Wilson (Hopkins?), legit receiving TE (Gesicki), add a LT, C and RG. That would be pushing your chips in. It all starts with Rodgers though. If he comes here it will attract a lot of players to an already strong young core. 

That being said the Jets need to find a QB to groom behind Rodgers that can sit a couple of years not named Zach Wilson.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Creating Cap Space is Easy.  Creating Cap Space without diminishing the team is another entirely.  

JD will sit down with Saleh to see who is ready for top dog at a position, and we will see some surprise cuts.

Extending or moving Q will be a priority.  I'd assume the latter is a last resort option.  

The cap will only get bigger, so kicking the can down the road will be what all cap tight teams will do.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, hawk said:

Creating Cap Space is Easy.  Creating Cap Space without diminishing the team is another entirely.  

JD will sit down with Saleh to see who is ready for top dog at a position, and we will see some surprise cuts.

Extending or moving Q will be a priority.  I'd assume the latter is a last resort option.  

The cap will only get bigger, so kicking the can down the road will be what all cap tight teams will do.

The ‘crisis’ is that the jets can’t go on spending sprees to address needs.  They need their injured OL guys back and they need to have another productive draft.  

Beyond all these potential cap casualties, if ZW were even ok this would not be an issue.  It’s only relevant b/c they still have no qb. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

There is no “sustained success” plan and the MAJOR mistakes with Becton and Wilson, really set this team back. Now it’s just about spending to make a 1 year push and we are back to square one. 2023 is the lame duck year and then the rebuild begins. 

Would the Becton mistake be ok if they instead busted on AVT or Sauce or Garrett Wilson or breece? 

Every team misses on players. This teams only issue is at QB. Which is a big issue that JD is now going to have to fix with a vet.

• WTF? 1

Just now, Claymation said:

Cutting Davis is a 10.5M savings, Mosely post June 1st is a 17M savings and Lawson is a 15M savings.

That's roughly 42 million, cut Whitehead and the Jets are at 50 million.

The only person they would somewhat miss is Mosely and he can be replaced with a draftee or a less expensive FA.

Mosely can be replaced with a FA or draft pick, davis is a drop waiting to happen.  Truth they just need their OL picks becton and mitchell to come back and play.  

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Joe Douglas bet all his chips on Zach Wilson. He literally said one of the reasons to trade sam was to “reset” financially on the QB position. He thought he be able to build around a guy on a rookie contract. It blew up spectacularly in his face last year. Now we are where we are.

Fans don’t seem to grasp how bad missing on Zach was for this organization. It wasn’t “just another whiff” as some fans want to paint it as. The entire rebuild plan by JD was centered on Zach. Now that It’s proven JD got Zach wrong we are ****ed. 

Wake up Jet fans 

No one bets all his chips on a rookie QB.  
You hope he bucks the tread, is one of the rare ones who comes out of the gate winning and go from there.  His contract isn’t prohibiting, they’ll move on like they moved on from Darnold.  Doesn’t suck if he never becomes anything, yes, ****ed?  No

• WTF? 1

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The ‘crisis’ is that the jets can’t go on spending sprees to address needs.  They need their injured OL guys back and they need to have another productive draft.  

Beyond all these potential cap casualties, if ZW were even ok this would not be an issue.  It’s only relevant b/c they still have no qb. 

As the 19th position in cap space, this is a Huge crisis? Imagine the other half of the league that is even worse off than the Jets.  (TB is over 50 million in the hole)

The article is a doom and gloom article with no real substance.  Woah, we have to replace Joe Flacco on his list.  How can we do that?

The Jets are not in a crisis with the Cap.  

Tomlinson was a huge miss, which most on here loved when it happened.

Is Mosley Replaceable?  

Lawson or JFM?  (I say absolutely, Clemons for JFM and JJ for Lawson)  

Davis?  GTFO

Berrios?  Buh Bye

The priority, as it always is, is to get a QB.

Every team looks different every year.  

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Mosely can be replaced with a FA or draft pick, davis is a drop waiting to happen.  Truth they just need their OL picks becton and mitchell to come back and play.  

Mitchell is a swing, but I see them drafting another OL this year. Especially if they plan on cutting Brown post June 1st.

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets were #5 in cash spending this year without signing a single A-list free agent. They added the OROY and DROY in the draft and improved by three whole games, then went 0-7 down the stretch. Their solution to this is, apparently, going to be to give Jimmy Garoppolo $30 million dollars, which—if they re-sign White and keep Zach—will give them a QB room making around $40 million dollars, which will be a little less than Kansas City’s QB room. The 2023 Jets have some problems.

I think the Jimmy g thing made more sense when we had MLF. Without the Shanahan system in place I don't see the rationale for bringing in Jimmy g over Tannehill over mike white.  

All 3 are clearly glorified NFL back ups who shouldn't get much more than back up money. 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No one bets all his chips on a rookie QB.  
You hope he bucks the tread, is one of the rare ones who comes out of the gate winning and go from there.  His contract isn’t prohibiting, they’ll move on like they moved on from Darnold.  Doesn’t suck if he never becomes anything, yes, ****ed?  No

You missed the whole point of my thread. It was the rookie contract and spend money in other positions stance he took. Now we are getting burned by that gamble by release reliable veterans to bring in a veteran QB. So instead of balancing our team out, we are going to lose talent to gain more talent at QB

20 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

You missed the whole point of my thread. It was the rookie contract and spend money in other positions stance he took. Now we are getting burned by that gamble by release reliable veterans to bring in a veteran QB. So instead of balancing our team out, we are going to lose talent to gain more talent at QB

I get the importance of having a QB on his rookie deal.  Few rookie QBs work out though.  ZW struggles, Lance is a ?, Mac Jones fell apart, Fields sucks.  Happens, you move on.  The fallacy is that you can’t and are screwed.

• Upvote 1

If JJ and Clemons are ready for full time duty, that lessens the blow of cutting Lawson and JFM.  If Davis and Berrios are cut, the team still needs to replace them.  Looking at the UFA list, nothing too inspiring from that list.  Maybe a trade to replace Davis and Berrios?  They can try and trade for Hopkins but I think he costs about $19M.  Douglas needs to nail the draft again.  He has to get at least 2 starters from the draft.  On top of that, he’s going to have to spend to get a QB.  Missing on Wilson has really put this team in a bind this offseason.

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

Yeah but they won a SB so who cares. The Jets have been bottoming out for a decade with nothing to show for it except tons of cap space. 

That's a different statement than the salary cap is a myth....if you like the approach of going all in for a championship that's fine just say that.

13 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Don't agree that it's a crisis. We can cut players and restructure salaries. Fitting a veteran QB will not be a problem. We just can't do much beyond that and retaining our players.

What was not mentioned is many draft picks from 2022 good crop can fill in for much less money and really no drop off and better upside. Does anyone think DE JJ replacing Lawson, DE Clemons replacing JFM, WR Moore or Mims replacing Davis, and just a decent MLB maybe another younger one like Sherwood or even Quincy or Kwon on our roster replacing Mosley, and TE Ruckert replacing Uzma(sp?), etc. would be that different from what we saw of those higher priced vets?. I am going by my eye test and I don’t see how those replacements would be worse and again would have higher ceiling upside.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

What was not mentioned is many draft picks from 2022 good crop can fill in for much less money and really no drop off and better upside. Does anyone think DE JJ replacing Lawson, DE Clemons replacing JFM, WR Moore or Mims replacing Davis, and just a decent MLB maybe another younger one like Sherwood or even Quincy or Kwon on our roster replacing Mosley, and TE Ruckert replacing Uzma(sp?), etc. would be that different from what we saw of those higher priced vets?. I am going by my eye test and I don’t see how those replacements would be worse and again would have higher ceiling upside.

This is true but it also means JD needs to continue drafting well and do a better job of signing bargain free agents because we probably aren't going to be big players in free agency.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets were #5 in cash spending this year without signing a single A-list free agent. They added the OROY and DROY in the draft and improved by three whole games, then went 0-7 down the stretch. Their solution to this is, apparently, going to be to give Jimmy Garoppolo $30 million dollars, which—if they re-sign White and keep Zach—will give them a QB room making around $40 million dollars, which will be a little less than Kansas City’s QB room. The 2023 Jets have some problems.

In all honesty, the best thing for the franchise would be to sign Jacoby Brissett, bring back White, and have those two and Wilson battle it out in camp. The problem is, that probably only gets you to 9 wins max, which isn’t good enough for the owner or the fans (and frankly shouldn’t be, given that it will be year 5 for Douglas), so they have to go big game hunting and will end up giving up some huge pile of assets to bring in a washed-up Rodgers to sulk his way through two desultory seasons.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I get the importance of having a QB on his rookie deal.  Few rookie QBs work out though.  ZW struggles, Lance is a ?, Mac Jones fell apart, Fields sucks.  Happens, you move on.  The fallacy is that you can’t and are screwed.

Then I don’t know DONT DRAFT if you aren’t sure and trade the pick for a haul like some of us screamed from the roof tops ?‍♂️

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Can't give Jimmy G 30 mill

Just too risky. 

14 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

There is no “sustained success” plan and the MAJOR mistakes with Becton and Wilson, really set this team back. Now it’s just about spending to make a 1 year push and we are back to square one. 2023 is the lame duck year and then the rebuild begins. 

Becton should not be in the same universe as Zach when discussing mistakes.  You can find a LT on the UFA market or, like this year, just try again in the draft.  When you miss on a franchise QB though, especially with the 2nd overall pick, you're not going to get another chance to right that wrong for a long time.  You're stuck with them.  

You're telling me if we ended up with Lawrence instead of Zach in 2021, we'd still be "set back" because of Mekhi Becton?  Also no, there's not going to be a rebuild.  Unless "rebuild" means "draft another QB".  The core of this team won't be going anywhere beyond next season:  Sauce, Garrett, Quinnen, Breece, AVT, JJ. 

1 hour ago, undertow said:

That's a different statement than the salary cap is a myth....if you like the approach of going all in for a championship that's fine just say that.

You used the Rams as an example. Even with the way they went all in they're starting this offseason $13 million over the cap. 17 UFA, 4 of which were starters. They are returning 9 starters on offense,  9 starters on defense. They could make about 4 restructures and save $54 million in cap space which would bring their overall cap space to $41 million. In 2025 they have over $100 million in cap space that they can push money into from 2023 and 2024. They'd have plenty of money to still add this offseason if they structure the contracts aggressively into the future. You can keep doing that over and over as long as you have a smart cap guy. That's why the cap is a myth.

41 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Then I don’t know DONT DRAFT if you aren’t sure and trade the pick for a haul like some of us screamed from the roof tops ?‍♂️

No one is sure.  But it’s still in play because there’s always the chance and allure of finding the next Mahomes, Buttow, Herbert or Allen.   Then you get the rookie deal advantage and long term solution 

I would find a way to keep the Williams Bros., CJ, Corey and Carl, Tomlinson and maybe Brown. All are good players who are positioned for better years in 2023 than thy had in 2022.

JD should be able to do this and sign the vet QB he prefers. My choice would be Carr. With this roster Jets would be odds on to make the playoffs next year.

I'm excited about the coming year.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

How would you rank the proposed / feasible QB options?

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

In all honesty, the best thing for the franchise would be to sign Jacoby Brissett, bring back White, and have those two and Wilson battle it out in camp. The problem is, that probably only gets you to 9 wins max, which isn’t good enough for the owner or the fans (and frankly shouldn’t be, given that it will be year 5 for Douglas), so they have to go big game hunting and will end up giving up some huge pile of assets to bring in a washed-up Rodgers to sulk his way through two desultory seasons.

I am of two minds (as usual). On the one hand, I want to see them try and flip Wilson for a Trey Lance or Jordan Love, even if Douglas has to sweeten the pot a bit. Wilson is done here, but I think he *might* still have value considering the traits and the trash QB class this year. However, I get that Saleh and Douglas don’t have the time left to gamble on another trainee QB, which leaves us in the veteran market. Both Carr and Garoppolo are gut-wrenching options, and if we’re just looking for a QB who can get you 62%/24/12/3500, why not just get Brissett, who every teammate loves and will be cheaper? What scares me is that Douglas will see the most practical option is to bring in Hackett, let him whisper sweet nothings into Zach Wilson’s ear all season, and see if you can’t cure him of a bunch of the nonsense attached to his pitiable game. Prop him up with play-action, let him throw 20 TDs (with 18 INTs) and sell it to Woody as progress. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I am of two minds (as usual). On the one hand, I want to see them try and flip Wilson for a Trey Lance or Jordan Love, even if Douglas has to sweeten the pot a bit. Wilson is done here, but I think he *might* still have value considering the traits and the trash QB class this year. However, I get that Saleh and Douglas don’t have the time left to gamble on another trainee QB, which leaves us in the veteran market. Both Carr and Garoppolo are gut-wrenching options, and if we’re just looking for a QB who can get you 62%/24/12/3500, why not just get Brissett, who every teammate loves and will be cheaper? What scares me is that Douglas will see the most practical option is to bring in Hackett, let him whisper sweet nothings into Zach Wilson’s ear all season, and see if you can’t cure him of a bunch of the nonsense attached to his pitiable game. Prop him up with play-action, let him throw 20 TDs (with 18 INTs) and sell it to Woody as progress. 

If me and BYU were in a plane that was going down and I only had 1 extra parachute, I’d strap it to the booze cart.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

How would you rank the proposed / feasible QB options?

They all kinda stink, which is what happens when you draft a bust QB. If I knew I had job security, I’d try to send Zach to San Fran for Trey Lance and start over at the position with Brian Johnson at OC. That’d at least be exciting, but Saleh doesn’t have time for that so I’d go with the nuclear option and try for Rodgers or Brady. YOLO and whatnot.