NY Jets are the Betting Favorites to Trade for Lamar Jackson

JetNation

Lamar Jackson

Following a tumultuous 2022 NFL campaign for his star quarterback, Lamar Jackson, the future of the Baltimore Ravens seems far from certain. The 26-year-old sustained an unfortunate knee injury late in the season, which caused him to sit out of 12 games and forced Baltimore to end their championship aspirations as they were left without Jackson in their final five regular-season contests plus a playoff game against Cincinnati Bengals, where they lost. As such, with Jackson on the sidelines throughout that period, Ravens ended 2-4 overall – even losing at playoffs despite having already clinched a spot before then. At the close of last season, the 2018 MVP’s fifth-year option was in its final year. Though he has the potential to sign a new contract if one is proposed, his agents and Baltimore Ravens have not been able to reach an agreement for any extensions.

Jackson is a force to be reckoned with when fully healthy. His ability to demolish defenses on the ground and through passing plays has been proven in his five seasons, totaling 125 touchdowns. Although he can cause significant damage as an athlete, this also puts him at much higher risk of injury due to his willingness to escape the pocket often; Jackson missed five games during each of the last two seasons alone. The Ravens and Jackson may look to a franchise tag as an option should discussions not go well. Although it might take money, the team would rather keep him than lose him when he’s free to sign with any other organization; if things worsen, they could even consider trading him instead.

Prior to the 2022 season, negotiations between the Ravens and Jackson, who is not represented by an agent and is representing himself, were unsuccessful; however, it is anticipated that they will move forward now that the team’s summer has started. But there will be a lot of interest in Jackson’s talents right away if he decides to explore the world of free agency. In three of his four seasons as a full-time starter for the Ravens, Jackson has led them to the playoffs, and he was just named the NFL’s MVP.

What are the teams in pole position to obtain Lamar Jackson?

As the offseason begins, all eyes are on the Las Vegas Raiders. With Derek Carr’s potential trade looming over them, they must find a capable replacement if he does depart. Also of note is that if Tom Brady leaves Tampa Bay for 2023 free agency as rumored, then Las Vegas may be his ideal destination – leading to an interesting juxtaposition between these two teams and their respective goals in this upcoming season!

A fascinating inclusion to this list of longshots is the New England Patriots. Mac Jones, their starting quarterback, experienced a reversal in his performance during year 2; however, with a fresh offensive coordinator at the helm, he may find success again. Last season saw Jones play an integral part in the Patriot’s 10-7 record and playoff participation, as he had a phenomenal rookie campaign despite facing difficulties earlier on.

With Jackson’s superior talent, the New York Jets could have seen a huge shift in their 10–12 record in 2022. The team already has an incredible defense, a few skilled receivers, and strong running backs. It is certain that with the addition of a top-notch quarterback, they would be able to contend at AFC levels and bring immense delight to New Yorkers who can place wagers on them or just enjoy their success.

Wagers can be placed on the reliable sites that have been created solely for that purpose, where New York Sports Betting Promos can be utilized. The Jets will not be guided to the promised land by Mike White, Zach Wilson, or Joe Flacco, who do not have the top quality of an option like Lamar Jackson.

With this in mind, it is perhaps no wonder why the Jets have been considered one of the favorites for the QB. And with the sports betting market open to New Yorkers, it would not be a surprise if many were considering it as a possible wager. Until a resolution is reached, Jackson’s future in Baltimore is probably going to rank among the most important summer storylines.

What are the chances of the New York Jets getting Lamar Jackson in a trade?

Jackson is the long-term quarterback for the present and the future, according to the Ravens. Although they have publicly stated the appropriate things and released the appropriate reports, the behaviors of both parties involved reveal a different picture. In the next few days/weeks, Jackson and the Ravens will meet again to talk about a new contract, one in which Jackson intends to get guarantees comparable to those given to Deshaun Watson. However, the Ravens have been reluctant to make such a concession. The problem can be found there. The Ravens’ supporters probably don’t feel too confident about the future of their great quarterback when these two factors are combined with some odd interactions between the two teams.

For their part, the Jets are surely keeping an eye on the situation and appear prepared to take action if the Ravens decide to make Jackson available. Joe Douglas, the general manager, is conscious of the threat to his position. He is aware that the current leadership, including himself, may be fired if the Jets do not make the playoffs in 2023, thus putting his back to the wall. Douglas will therefore make every effort to present a compelling offer if a quarterback of Jackson’s caliber becomes available. Even when the warning signs are taken into account, it is obvious.

New York Jets are the betting favorites to trade for Lamar Jackson

The New York Jets, who consist of a lot of young and talented players but experience many uncertainties at quarterback following the problems of former No. 1 overall pick Zach Wilson, have the next-lowest odds of keeping Jackson despite having a young core of promising players. According to reports, the Jets want to replace Wilson, at least in part, by adding a seasoned quarterback. A celebrity like Michael Jackson might be added to their talented lineup if they decide to go all in. With the AFC East being so fiercely competitive, such a move may provide the Jets with a huge boost.

Given their draft capital and financial future, the Jets represent a significantly more realistic alternative, and the organization has apparently been keeping an eye on a potential Jackson deal should there be a significant backlash. The Jets should unquestionably be all-in on Jackson this offseason, according to reports, but that statement must be qualified by the crucial qualifier: if Jackson becomes available.

The post NY Jets are the Betting Favorites to Trade for Lamar Jackson appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Thumb Down 2
  • Ugh 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

The team is already has cap trouble so they’re going to trade for the most expensive player who can’t win playoff games and is now getting injured. That should workout great. 

Such is the price of whiffing hard on the #2 overall and the regime now being hotseated.

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

The team is already has cap trouble so they’re going to trade for the most expensive player who can’t win playoff games and is now getting injured. That should workout great. 

The Jets management doesn’t think rationally like some fans do. Hence the circus outfits before the jags game and the really dumb things they said this year during the season.

With that said, they’ll trade the house to get him

Don't want to see this guy anywhere near this team in a trade. Everything we're trying to build will come crashing down if we have to trade the house for him. We need another strong draft, a VET like a Minshew to hold the fort until we can get the right QB in here. While I know that's not the JETS strong point in picking the right QB's we need to keep taking one each draft until we do find one and that doesn't mean with 1st rounders. I'm not sold on Saleh as the right guy for this team. I'd hate to bet the farm on LJ just to have it go like every other QB we've tried to get in here. 

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm just having fun with the eventual outcomes, but since that 2018 draft where the Jets took Darnold and the Ravens took Jackson...

over these past 5 seasons, Baltimore has just 1 more playoff win than the NYJ.

Meanwhile during that time frame the Jets are 24-58 and Lamar Jackson is 45-16

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm just having fun with the eventual outcomes, but since that 2018 draft where the Jets took Darnold and the Ravens took Jackson...

over these past 5 seasons, Baltimore has just 1 more playoff win than the NYJ.

I don’t understand the logic that Carr is some dead end and Lamar is not. The Ravens have excellent coaching and always have a strong defense yet they can’t win with him.

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

I don’t understand the logic that Carr is some dead end and Lamar is not. The Ravens have excellent coaching and always have a strong defense yet they can’t win with him.

I think there’s more to it than generalizing about their coaching, which is better than many/most but tbh overrated. The rosters aren’t equal either,  or are the gamelans (Balt being far more conservative passing than anyone else; I wouldn’t know who’s even the distant second). LJ’s games missed to injuries are well known, but there’s more to it. Carr throws for a lot of yards on a lot of attempts and really not that many TDs.

Anyway it’s hard to win playoff games. Harder than reaching the playoffs.

The Jets, of course, can do neither, making either QB an obvious upgrade (as well as others). Accept there are no flawless veteran QBs that any teams are letting go.

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think there’s more to it than generalizing about their coaching, which is better than many/most but tbh overrated. The rosters aren’t equal either,  or are the gamelans (Balt being far more conservative passing than anyone else; I wouldn’t know who’s even the distant second). LJ’s games missed to injuries are well known, but there’s more to it. Carr throws for a lot of yards on a lot of attempts and really not that many TDs.

Anyway it’s hard to win playoff games. Harder than reaching the playoffs.

The Jets, of course, can do neither, making either QB an obvious upgrade (as well as others). Accept there are no flawless veteran QBs that any teams are letting go.

I mean more in the sense of if people think Lamar can go tit for tat with Burrow, Allen, or Mahomes, I think they are sorely mistaken. I can’t see Lamar Jackson having more success here than he had in Baltimore, given our history. Maybe it’s different this time, but won’t believe it until I see it.

• Upvote 1

I can see this happening, but honestly the cost should be no more than a first round draft pick:

• Lamar provides the most instant fan entertainment to take advantage of the current roster.
  • Lamar does the most himself and will not need as many support players.  Maybe we need less OL focus, etc.
  • Lamar does not require a complex system and expert coaches we can't hire.  

This just screams Woody.   

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, varjet said:

I can see this happening, but honestly the cost should be no more than a first round draft pick:

• Lamar provides the most instant fan entertainment to take advantage of the current roster.
  • Lamar does the most himself and will not need as many support players.  Maybe we need less OL focus, etc.
  • Lamar does not require a complex system and expert coaches we can't hire.  

This just screams Woody.   

On the contrary , everything the Jets have done on offense would need to get scrapped ( for better or worse). Lamar like Fields needs an offense purely tailored to his strengths. 

Then when he gets hurt who is running that system , its not MFW and its not ZW .

9 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

On the contrary , everything the Jets have done on offense would need to get scrapped ( for better or worse). Lamar like Fields needs an offense purely tailored to his strengths. 

Then when he gets hurt who is running that system , its not MFW and its not ZW .

The STREV! It’s what we do best.

image.gif.940cf101f652327e1cc23cc338788737.gif

2 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

The STREV! It’s what we do best.

image.gif.940cf101f652327e1cc23cc338788737.gif

I think that is right.  Your QBs are Lamar, Streveler and someone else who fits the system, who you should be able to draft on Day 3.

Don't get me wrong-I hate the idea of Lamar.  But I can see it happening.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I feel like that was a possibility already when they decided to let MLF go. I don't think they're necessarily married to the west coast offense anymore (which I don't really agree with if that's the direction they go, but I digress). 

16 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I agree with this completely and one of the reasons I don't want Jackson.  I honestly don't know what the answer is but I don't feel like we can give up any draft picks.  WTF knows what's doing on with Beckton and the line needs to be addressed.  We can cut cash from the D to clear cap space but If they sign Jackson the picks we used on Mims, Moore, and Wilson would be wasted.  With that being said - it would be different if Jackson wanted to leave to become more of a throwing QB and use his legs less.  Who knows.  Either way I see no way out of this for us.  Lastly, were going to have a hell of a time finding a great OC.  None will want to deal with this.

Just now, Jetsfan4life90 said:

I feel like that was a possibility already when they decided to let MLF go. I don't think they're necessarily married to the west coast offense anymore (which I don't really agree with if that's the direction they go, but I digress). 

The problem is you just can't keep flip flopping schemes and keep players that fit that flavor of the day. The Jets needs to bring in someone as OC who is flexible within the WCO and find a QB who can they can mold it to.  Lamar means starting over on offense, blocking schemes , route trees etc...  I really can't see Lamar being the Jets choice which means they'll probably unload the bank for him. 

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

The problem is you just can't keep flip flopping schemes and keep players that fit that flavor of the day. The Jets needs to bring in someone as OC who is flexible within the WCO and find a QB who can they can mold it to.  Lamar means starting over on offense, blocking schemes , route trees etc...  I really can't see Lamar being the Jets choice which means they'll probably unload the bank for him. 

There is some thought out there that Lamar wants to play in a more traditional pro offense. 

Not sure what he'll look like doing that, but some people feel that Baltimore's scheme has held him back as a passer and that is one of the reasons they axed Roman. 

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I see it the other way, woody wants a guy like Zach to be the face of the franchise. He doesn't want a guy like Lamar who acts as his own agent and does not have any billionaire uncles 

Yeah Woody having been born into it I can see that.

A guy who earned his own fortune would probably gravitate toward a hardscrapple kid who had to claw his way through life

• Upvote 1