Looking back at interesting post game comments by saleh after the Patriots game

BP

https://www.patriots.com/news/new-york-jets-postgame-quotes-11-20

Postgame Press Conference
Sunday, November 20, 2022

Q: Can you talk about the second half, especially the offense, seven possessions, only two total yards.

RS: It was dog sh*t.

Q: How do you talk to the team right now? How do you get them through this?

RS: We just got to get back on, we got to show up tomorrow and find ways to get better. That's it. It's like I said, whether we won or lost, there's still seven games to be played. We have the whole season ahead of us. So we're still right there in the thick of things and we've just got to get back on the horse and get ready to play another football game.

Q: There are losses and then there are gut punches, right?

RS: To me, whether we lose by one or a hundred, it doesn't matter. They're all gut punches. It's a loss. Yeah, it's crappy way to lose. You feel like you're exchanging blows from a defensive standpoint from both teams and somebody could just make a play and get it to overtime. They made a play and we didn't.

Q: Can you give us your breakdown on the punt return? It looked like maybe there was a questionable block in the back there that didn't get called.

RS: I thought Braden [Mann] did a really nice job of punting the ball today. He hung one out in the middle and that's about it.

Q: We talked to some of the guys in the locker room, specifically on the defensive side of the ball, after the Bills game. They were immediately pointing towards this one wanting a little payback after the way – this week in the locker room kind of saying the same thing. These guys allowed three points and it's still a loss. Do you worry about this potentially dividing the team?

RS: No, no, not at all. No.

Q: Why was Zach Wilson struggling so much today?

RS: We'll get to the film room and see. Obviously we all know we weren't good enough. Whether, as coaches we got to find a way to help him, whether we just got to get back to fundamentals. I wish I had a better answer for you right now. But we'll do study it hard again.

Q; This isn't another game where – the passing yards, it's under 200, the completion percentage, it's under 60. This one is 40. Is he a quarterback that's holding the offense back right now?

RS: I don't know, we couldn't run the ball either, so there's a lot of things that we got to look at to see if we can find some efficiency in the offense. Obviously in the second half we just couldn't get – I don't feel like we had a first down. I don't know if we did. But either way it just wasn't good enough. It's not about pointing fingers at any one individual or one unit or one anything. It's just finding a way to, finding the answers so we can start moving the ball because we did it against Buffalo, we've done it against other teams. It's just the consistency needs to get found.

Q: What was the thinking on third and one there before the punt? You kind of had options there. You could run out the clock and play overtime if you get a first down there or try to go for a field goal. You lose yards and have to punt it?

RS: No, for sure. You run the ball, they stuff you, and they're going to call timeout anyway. In our mind, we had about 30-plus seconds left on the clock. We still had a timeout in hand. Wanted to be aggressive to see if we can get some chunk yardage right there, burn the timeout, see if we can get in field goal range because we still felt like we had an opportunity to go win the football game. It just, it didn't work out the way we wanted. We wanted to finish the game with the ball. Obviously in a perfect situation, it would have been with the ball and a chance to kick it for, to win it. But it didn't work out.

Q: Was there any point where you thought you sensed some offensive spark, that something might get going?

RS: In the second half?

Q: Anytime?

RS: At any point? No.

Q: Did you ever consider Mike White at all?

RS: No, no.

Q: If this, though, continues, if Zach continues to struggle, do you have to go to Mike?

RS: No, that's the furthest thing on my mind. I've told you guys before, Zach's our quarterback and we're going to, we've got to find ways to help him get better.

Q: What happened to Nate Herbig? And any other injuries coming out of this game?

RS: He just didn't feel comfortable. The inactives had already come out, they came out in the pregame and it just wasn't feeling good for him. Hopefully we can get him back next week.

Q: Injuries today?

RS: So Michael [Carter] was fine. He came back. And then Echols was, he had stuff come up.

Q: Your special teams has been so good all year. It came up with so many big plays. How disappointing and surprising is it they were the ones in the end that let you down?

RS: Yeah, I think we punted 10 times. They've got a, obviously Coach Belichick is, they have got one of the better units through time, and you make one mistake and they will make you pay, and we made a mistake on a punt and we couldn't get him down.

Q: Did you sense with the way the game was going it's going to be, someone's going to make a mistake, whoever blinks here is going to be the one that –

RS: That's what all these games are. When you're in a tight game like this and someone either blinks or you're in overtime and it ends up in a tie or whatever it is, it's the way both offenses were operating – or both defenses were playing.

Q: What can you say about how the defense played today to keep you guys in it?

RS: I thought defense was outstanding. I thought our D-line got after it. We had some missed tackles in the first half. But the sequence, you know, we had the penalty and then the sack to make it a hard field goal, which towards the end of the half, I thought that was really, really good by the defense. Then we just couldn't capitalize on their good play.

Q: Can you put your finger on what was going wrong with the running game?

RS: They're really good up front. They have been one of the top defenses in football over the last six or seven games and they showed why today.

Q: The CBS cameras caught a couple of times – there was one time where Zach went to Mims and was a little off. And Garrett was, seemed like he was vocally saying something to Zach and also throwing his hands up. And Denzel as well when one went a little high. Do you worry at all about frustrations building with the receivers when things aren't clicking on offense?

RS: In the heat of battle there's always going to be frustration with one another and trying to talk it out, trying to find a way to get it right. I don't think it's indicative of anything else.

• Upvote 1

Interesting cliff notes are:

Whats wrong with Wilson: “I don’t know we have to look at film”

that is a trademark gase/kotite response 

Did you ever consider replacing Wilson with Mike white?

”no, never”

A lot of mixed messages here and I’m just a fan. How do you think the players think?

• Sympathy 2

much as zwilson had a horrible game saleh should've had the balls to pull him in the second half.  they had white available. i'm not sue flacco was suited up.  but anything would've been better than wilson's performance.  the other thing to, was there a milfy power struggle going on?  i sincerely can't believe wilson would purposely have a bad performance to get at milfy but there may have been some other things that saleh certainly doesn't want to expose.

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1

49 minutes ago, BP said:

”no, never”

A lot of mixed messages here and I’m just a fan. How do you think the players think?

Trade the bum

Its too much drama for such a terrible player

10 minutes ago, rangerous said:

much as zwilson had a horrible game saleh should've had the balls to pull him in the second half.  they had white available. i'm not sue flacco was suited up.  but anything would've been better than wilson's performance.  the other thing to, was there a milfy power struggle going on?  i sincerely can't believe wilson would purposely have a bad performance to get at milfy but there may have been some other things that saleh certainly doesn't want to expose.

The next game was the Bears game with Mike white. Why he needed to look at film to realize Wilson sucked blows my mind. Was he day dreaming watching the game? When you look back at the sh*t our coach says it just has you scratching your head as a fan. Imagine how the players feel?

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

“Look at the film” is code for “make sure I don’t say anything I shouldn’t”.

He has to check with the bosses. He’s not a boss.

Wait, what?  The HC is the one who decides who plays and who sits or else he's been castrated.  He decides before the game, during the game, and after the game.  He should have the balls to sit Zack any time HE decides.

A HC worthy of the title has the the the man who calls the shots on the roster that's been handed to him.  2nd year man or not, grow a pair!  I've lost a heck of a lot of respect for Saleh!   

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

“Look at the film” is code for “make sure I don’t say anything I shouldn’t”.

He has to check with the bosses. He’s not a boss.

“Look at the film” is coach speak for “we know Zach stinks and we have no viable alternative, but we can't say that out loud."

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jet Blast said:

“Look at the film” is coach speak for “we know Zach stinks and we have no viable alternative, but we can't say that out loud."

What is the issue?  Wilson was benched for White a few days later. Actions speak louder than words.  Saleh said the same things every single coach says after a loss. Nothing to see here.

• Upvote 2

All I can do is to return us to a different era: If Parcells was our HC during that debacle, I don't think Wild Bill would say "I have to watch the tape". Zack could of been 100 miles away and woulda been ringing and stinging from his ears to his a$$hole based on how Parcells torn him apart.

But then again, Parcells in 100 careers would NEVER start a rookie QB, so we'll never know!

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, BP said:

The next game was the Bears game with Mike white. Why he needed to look at film to realize Wilson sucked blows my mind. Was he day dreaming watching the game? When you look back at the sh*t our coach says it just has you scratching your head as a fan. Imagine how the players feel?

What he says to the press doesn’t always reflect what he’s telling the players. He doesn’t want, nor should he trash his QB in public. It doesn’t serve any purpose. Every coach uses coach speak after the game. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, BP said:

Because you don’t make next weeks QB switch right after Sunday's game?  
You make the move because it’s deserved but you don’t dump it all on a player who’s on the roster.  Of course he knew Zach sucked, but like most coach’s right after the game, they say little 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, docdhc said:

What he says to the press doesn’t always reflect what he’s telling the players. He doesn’t want, nor should he trash his QB in public. It doesn’t serve any purpose. Every coach uses coach speak after the game. 

Hey that’s fine. But wtf is he looking at in practice?they say Wilson couldn’t complete passes In practice. 

• Sympathy 1

UNFILTERED

Q: Why was Zach Wilson struggling so much today?

He's the No. 2 overall pick and his draft status dictates his playing time. He obviously sucked today. Anyone can see that. We'll get back to work tomorrow and try to get better. Tomorrow I'm bringing in Anthony Robbins to help with Zach's confidence after he gets back from the tanning salon with his mother.

Q: Was there any point where you thought you sensed some offensive spark, that something might get going?

RS: Even a broken clock is right twice a day, so figured we we're due. Never happened for us though.

Q: Did you ever consider Mike White at all?

RS: This season was all about Zach Wilson's development. Simple as that man. Even he knows he stinks right now. We have to go through this together though. The clock is ticking on his time as the Jets starting quarterback. At some point you need to see results. 

Q: Can you put your finger on what was going wrong with the running game?

RS: The game is won in the trenches and right now we're not winning sh*t. The way we're run blocking right now we couldn't run through a wet paper bag. I really believe these guys are not that bad though. It's disheartening for the big fellas to do their job when your starting quarterback isn't fulfilling his responsibilities. It's a trickledown effect. Eventually I'm concerned it's going to effect our defense.

Q: The CBS cameras caught a couple of times – there was one time where Zach went to Mims and was a little off. And Garrett was, seemed like he was vocally saying something to Zach and also throwing his hands up. And Denzel as well when one went a little high. Do you worry at all about frustrations building with the receivers when things aren't clicking on offense?

RS: He's frustrated just like anyone would be when they can't do their job to the best of their abilities because someone else isn't doing their job well enough. I'm going to get him to run stairs with me, because I find that to be a great coping mechanism for anger management.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, BP said:

Hey that’s fine. But wtf is he looking at in practice?they say Wilson couldn’t complete passes In practice. 

Fact (and the NY Jets made sure we were deluded by into believing the opposite): Zach Wilson was atrocious in practice.  The players knew it, especially the WRs.  By starting Wilson instead of benching him as should have been done, Saleh/Douglas or both ensured a 2022 divided locker room.

That, my brothers and sisters, is BAD management.  Actually the worst. Whether it's JD's fault, RS's fault really makes no difference.  

WTF NY Jets?  If your PR group is reading this, let Douglas and Saleh know that they have some very serious clown tendencies.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, BP said:

What's really sad for me, and frankly makes me really frucking angry was what the Bills did to mike White. I don't care what anybody says they were trying to take our QB out and they did it with the help of a totally inept CS who couldn't manage to find ANY ONE to play on the O-Line who could hold his own against other professional defensive linemen. 

Us not being able to see what Mike White can actually really do when he is healthy, and now he's an afterthought, nobody even considers him an option any longer for next year. Had he not gotten hurt this team would be looking at a whole different dynamic with a QB who we KNOW can put up good numbers and who knows, with a real offensive coordinator who actually knows how to score TDs in an NFL game the Jets would be in a completely different situation right now, might even still be playing. Matt Milano is another Vince Wilfork, a player who TRIES to hurt players-especially QBs-he needs to be taken care of next season by someone who sees him as I do-do unto him as he does unto us. And don't tell me "oh it was a clean hit-he focking LAUNCHED himself at Mike White with the intent to do physical damage-screw him and screw the Buffalo Bills-who I will never feel the same about ever again-right now I hate them even more than I hate Miami

• WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Fact (and the NY Jets made sure we were deluded by into believing the opposite): Zach Wilson was atrocious in practice.  The players knew it, especially the WRs.  By starting Wilson instead of benching him as should have been done, Saleh/Douglas or both ensured a 2022 divided locker room.

That, my brothers and sisters, is BAD management.  Actually the worst. Whether it's JD's fault, RS's fault really makes no difference.  

WTF NY Jets?  If you're PR group is reading this, let Douglas and Saleh know that they have some very serious clown tendencies.

As much as it’s reported in the media that Woody is hands off,  I still believe it’s Woody calling the shots on Wilson, it just took him longer than others to figure sh*t out and accept it. It probably came down to the CS having an internal conflict especially the drama with MLF,  before RS and or maybe JD, had to bring the hard reality to Woody that Wilson has sucked. 

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

“Just have to find a way to be more consistent”

”Somebody has to make a play”

“Need to look at the tape”

Gase-like answers

What is he supposed to say in public about underperforming players especially to these bottom feeder media POS. I am sure what happens in the locker and behind the scenes is completely different, which one would hope it is.

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

What is the issue?  Wilson was benched for White a few days later. Actions speak louder than words.  Saleh said the same things every single coach says after a loss. Nothing to see here.

No issue here. That was my point. Coach speak.

16 minutes ago, Jet Blast said:

No issue here. That was my point. Coach speak.

I've no issue with coach speak.

What I do have an issue with is Saleh ACTING on what he sees in practice and on game day.  Saleh can say any damn thing he wants but he somehow by hook or by crook has to start the players who rate a start and sit the players who rate a sit.

If Zack was in fact horrible in practice then he should have sat.  That is on Saleh.  Have the balls to have the courage of your convictions Saleh!!!!  Otherwise resign.  Man up you SOB.  Fans deserve better.    

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, BP said:

”no, never”

“Trade me!”

- E. Moore

”Free me!”

- D. Mims

”Kill me!”

- G. Wilson 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, FootballLove said:

All I can do is to return us to a different era: If Parcells was our HC during that debacle, I don't think Wild Bill would say "I have to watch the tape". Zack could of been 100 miles away and woulda been ringing and stinging from his ears to his a$$hole based on how Parcells torn him apart.

But then again, Parcells in 100 careers would NEVER start a rookie QB, so we'll never know!

The same guy who brought in Rick Meier to replace Vinny - yeah he never made any mistakes. 

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

They were winning Zach was the best qb on the roster

Josh Allen had a 0/3 24 rating game vs New England it happens the difference is the Jets are a clown organization 

mike white is terrible and was GARBAGE in camp and GARBAGE during the year which why he went 0 TDs 5 picks a fumble and 3 straight LOSSES during the season

1-6 without Zach Wilson 

what don’t you fanboy kids understand 

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

“Just have to find a way to be more consistent”

”Somebody has to make a play”

“Need to look at the tape”

Gase-like answers

more like generic, coach-speak answers. Not sure what he should have said, but he did bench Zach a day later. 

• Upvote 1

Maybe if we had a competent OC at the time he could have, and this is a very out there concept, tried to tailor the game to his strengths. Zach was beyond awful in that game but LaFleur is the worst OC we have ever had and kept dialing up the same stupid runs and passes expecting somehow better results. And he later admitted that he did simplify things for White but not for Zach. Holy hell so glad he is gone

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Claymation said:

They started White the following game and the Jets went 1-6 the remainder of the season. They also didn't score a TD in the last 3 games with 4 different QBs. Eventually you have to look somewhere else besides the NY's favorite whipping boy. 

I'm confused.  Do you mean MLF or ZW?  They both qualify.  I think a lot of it is on Saleh for letting an unqualified Zack start so many game.  

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Wait, what?  The HC is the one who decides who plays and who sits or else he's been castrated.  He decides before the game, during the game, and after the game.  He should have the balls to sit Zack any time HE decides.

A HC worthy of the title has the the the man who calls the shots on the roster that's been handed to him.  2nd year man or not, grow a pair!  I've lost a heck of a lot of respect for Saleh!   

I kind of think you're reading this wrong.  I don't think Saleh has been deballed.  I just think he's made so many mistakes with the NY media, he just hedges everything until he can prepare exactly what he wants to say.  Some guys are good in front of the cameras (like Rex) and some guys suck (like Saleh).  I don't think his on camera personality should be extended to his HC responsibilities.

13 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I kind of think you're reading this wrong.  I don't think Saleh has been deballed.  I just think he's made so many mistakes with the NY media, he just hedges everything until he can prepare exactly what he wants to say.  Some guys are good in front of the cameras (like Rex) and some guys suck (like Saleh).  I don't think his on camera personality should be extended to his HC responsibilities.

Agree to disagree :)   If it's true that Zack was horrible in practice and was still allowed to start during a playoff run then Saleh has failed.    I know, I know, if true....  I can't confirm but from the little I do know it might very well be true.  

53 minutes ago, FactsOnly said:

They were winning Zach was the best qb on the roster

Josh Allen had a 0/3 24 rating game vs New England it happens the difference is the Jets are a clown organization 

mike white is terrible and was GARBAGE in camp and GARBAGE during the year which why he went 0 TDs 5 picks a fumble and 3 straight LOSSES during the season

1-6 without Zach Wilson 

what don’t you fanboy kids understand 

i guess you don't like mfw that much.