Andre Dillard

maury77

3 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Yes, but Brown was not very good last year. 

Brown was solid last year. Not sure what you are expecting. He played with a bum shoulder and was still solid as a rock. I know he wasn't ranked very high on PFF. But watching games you could tell he was one of the only O-linemen that held his own while others struggled. He was probably our best pass blocker once AVT went down.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Yes, but Brown was not very good last year. 

He was to start the year, you just have to wonder how much the injury, bad QB play and just a terrible sum of the parts played a factor.

Either way, I think he's in the mix next year, there really isnt a reason not to have him unless he's over it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Stark said:

Not sure exactly what the shoulder injury is but some of those procedures have a lengthy recovery/rehab. I would assume its up to Brown. They will probably help him and keep in touch and if he wants back I think JETS would bring him back if needed. 

Yeah, this, for sure.  Just for insurance sake.

• Upvote 1

As for Dillard he's a finesse player the birds have had opportunity to trade him before, but they kept him because he has value as a starting left tackle in the league. He's a left side only pass protection guy. Jordan mailata is just better, especially in the run 

We also have no idea what system they are running because of the OC vacancy. 

If they signed him for a steal contract I'd like it, especially because they can use the 13 pick on other needs. but that bidding could get stupid and Dillard isn't really a difference maker. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

That’s seems like a foolish plan.   Brown will be 38 years old and coming off a season where he played through an injury that should have ended his season.  Becton is a gigantic question mark who hasn’t played in 2 years.   Cant go into the season with just AVT and Mitchell as your starting tackles.   While AVT played well at tackle, he’s still better at guard.  

They aren't going into the season with AVT and Mitchell as the team's only tackles. You've already made that jump but it isn't true.

IMO it'll be Brown at LT + competition between Becton & Mitchell at RT, plus drafting another tackle at some point (how highly based on where their slot matches prospect value), and on top of all that they still have AVT as a competent, emergency OT5 if the rookie can already play and OT4 if he can't.

Becton was never a fit for MLF's offense in the first place (not that he played more than 5 minutes in it). Either way I think they're drafting a tackle because he's unreliable to start (let alone start and finish) a full season. Beyond that - absent a head-scratcher of Douglas exercising his 5th yr option - is the reality that neither he nor Brown are under contract for 2024 anyway.

They need a future OT not an immediate starter at OT. If that '23 draft pick is good enough to start right away, and makes Becton or Brown expendable for a trade with a suddenly-desperate team between late August & late October, well goody for us.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, PepPep said:

Brown was solid last year. Not sure what you are expecting. He played with a bum shoulder and was still solid as a rock. I know he wasn't ranked very high on PFF. But watching games you could tell he was one of the only O-linemen that held his own while others struggled. He was probably our best pass blocker once AVT went down.  

My expectation is that the Jets (who need to make a playoff run next year) will have a better plan in place at tackle than a 38 year old player coming off a shoulder injury. As far as keeping him as a backup swing tackle, I think the cap space could be better allocated. 

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

And you don't want to draft at least 2 OL high ??

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

No, I don't.  I think we have to get Becton back on the field. Becton isn't a cripple. Everyone thinks the best bet they can make is Becton gets injured again. I think the Jets need to make sure he doesn't.  There is no reason now for him to get injured again. Same for AVT. There is no reason for him to end up on IR again. If those two can play, the rest will fall into place. We need LB's and S's and a QB. I would prefer a LB with the first pick and a QB with the second. As far as Mitchell, he might be an option but from what I have seen of him playing, he is not. He was beaten like a drum when he had to start. He looked lost without AVT next to him. He had a lot of improvement  to do. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

My expectation is that the Jets (who need to make a playoff run next year) will have a better plan in place at tackle than a 38 year old player coming off a shoulder injury. As far as keeping him as a backup swing tackle, I think the cap space could be better allocated. 

Who cares if he is 38 years old coming off shoulder injury if he can play well enough to give you stability at a critical position on the O-line. He did that with a bum shoulder. That's kinda my point. You would think after surgery (once healed up) he would get better, if only marginally. If we are making a playoff push, we don't nec. NEED a young player to start at that spot. So his age really doesn't have much impact- again, as long as he can play at a high enough level. 

Now, I'm not saying don't draft a LT. My top target in the draft is OT/LT. I'd be happy with one of the top 3- Skoronski, Broderick Jones or Paris Johnson. I would also not mind trading down and STILL taking an OT like Freeland, Dawand Jones, Cody Mauch, Anton Harris, etc., etc. This rookie can come is and compete for the RT spot, he can compete for the LT spot, he can be used as a swing tackle of just for depth depending on how well he plays in camp. We may also need him if Becton doesn't come into camp in shape or gets hurt again or if Brown is not ready for the start of the season.  

But straight-up cutting Brown, if he has no intention of retiring, and his rehab will not be wiping him out for like 1/2 the season, makes no sense to me. JMHO. He's under contract and barring retirement and unforeseen delays in rehab the Jets should hold on to him.   

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Who cares if he is 38 years old coming off shoulder injury if he can play well enough to give you stability at a critical position on the O-line. He did that with a bum shoulder. That's kinda my point. You would think after surgery (once healed up) he would get better, if only marginally. If we are making a playoff push, we don't nec. NEED a young player to start at that spot. So his age really doesn't have much impact- again, as long as he can play at a high enough level. 

Now, I'm not saying don't draft a LT. My top target in the draft is OT/LT. I'd be happy with one of the top 3- Skoronski, Broderick Jones or Paris Johnson. I would also not mind trading down and STILL taking an OT like Freeland, Dawand Jones, Cody Mauch, Anton Harris, etc., etc. This rookie can come is and compete for the RT spot, he can compete for the LT spot, he can be used as a swing tackle of just for depth depending on how well he plays in camp. We may also need him if Becton doesn't come into camp in shape or gets hurt again or if Brown is not ready for the start of the season.  

But straight-up cutting Brown, if he has no intention of retiring, and his rehab will not be wiping him out for like 1/2 the season, makes no sense to me. JMHO. He's under contract and barring retirement and unforeseen delays in rehab the Jets should hold on to him.   

We are just going to have to agree to disagree because we have different opinions as to what Brown is still going to offer. You are higher on Brown than I am. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

No, I don't.  I think we have to get Becton back on the field. Becton isn't a cripple. Everyone thinks the best bet they can make is Becton gets injured again. I think the Jets need to make sure he doesn't.  There is no reason now for him to get injured again. Same for AVT. There is no reason for him to end up on IR again. If those two can play, the rest will fall into place. We need LB's and S's and a QB. I would prefer a LB with the first pick and a QB with the second. As far as Mitchell, he might be an option but from what I have seen of him playing, he is not. He was beaten like a drum when he had to start. He looked lost without AVT next to him. He had a lot of improvement  to do. 

I would argue a bit reason to draft an OT/OL rather than a a combination of positional value and looking towards the future. I agree that fans should not just completely write off Becton (although he has proven to be unreliable) and AVT should be back and Mitchell WILL be ready to go. However, I'm focusing on re-signing Quincy and Kwon. And I feel like Sherwood has played well given the few opportunities behind Mosley. So I'm looking at positional value and I'd rather take an OT in Rd. 1 than a LB. A quality, talented LB can be had in Rd. 2 or Rd. 3. If one of the 'top 3' OTs are there at 13, its hard to pass that up for a LB. Even if its Trenton Simpson (I think he is the top rated LB right now). 

Right now, I really like Drew Sanders out of Arkansas. I'd take him in Rd. 2 after taking one of the 'top 3' OTs in Rd .1. If that is the direction the Jets wanted to go in. 

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I would argue a bit reason to draft an OT/OL rather than a a combination of positional value and looking towards the future. I agree that fans should not just completely write off Becton (although he has proven to be unreliable) and AVT should be back and Mitchell WILL be ready to go. However, I'm focusing on re-signing Quincy and Kwon. And I feel like Sherwood has played well given the few opportunities behind Mosley. So I'm looking at positional value and I'd rather take an OT in Rd. 1 than a LB. A quality, talented LB can be had in Rd. 2 or Rd. 3. If one of the 'top 3' OTs are there at 13, its hard to pass that up for a LB. Even if its Trenton Simpson (I think he is the top rated LB right now). 

Right now, I really like Drew Sanders out of Arkansas. I'd take him in Rd. 2 after taking one of the 'top 3' OTs in Rd .1. If that is the direction the Jets wanted to go in. 

I don't think Quincy is ever going to be better than he already is and that isn't  good enough. I like Kwon but he didn't  make enough plays last season. I think we need new blood. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't think Quincy is ever going to be better than he already is and that isn't  good enough. I like Kwon but he didn't  make enough plays last season. I think we need new blood. 

Quincy is 26. He has already gotten much better in coverage. He may not reach elite level, but thats totally fine. He is already a core piece on a top 5 defense. He had over 100 tackles this year and critically, he stays healthy. He's a good player. If he's not asking for a ton of money, I'm not sure how you just let him walk because you 'want new blood'- whatever that means. LOL. 

And again, I'm not saying ignore the LB position in the draft. Did I not just say potentially look for  a LB in rd. 2?! lmfao.

I'm just saying lets not use out top pick on a frikkin LB. We really don't need to do that. 

Same thing with Kwon. The Jets play 2 LBs, 4 linemen, 3 CBs and 2 safeties on majority of snaps. Kwon is a rotational player. You don't need to invest a high draft pick or any significant cap on a rotational player. Kwon is a great fit- he knows the defense, excels in the defense and plays fast. If he is available cheap (and he probably will be). I don't see why you try to find 'new blood'. He's a great backup. 

You have to bring in another tackle.

Becton will not have his 5th year picked up, meaning he is a FA after the season, as is Brown.  I guess if the impossible happens and Becton stay healthy you could franchise him, but no way do you give him a long term extension.   You don't know if Mitchell, A can really play, and B will be healthy (he has clots, not a knee issue).

After 2023 you will have no tackles on the roster, you have to draft one in the 1st 2 rounds in the draft coming up. 

On 1/24/2023 at 9:51 AM, More Cowbell said:

No there won't.  We are currently over the cap. There is no money to sign starters. I just read the Jets are about 3 million over and will have to restructure or cut players just to get the 3 million needed for the draft. We are not signing anyone who is a legit starter unless the draft someone and I will scream bloody murder if JD uses another high pick on the OL. If he does, he should be fired. I rather see him use the first round pick on a QB and admit Zach is a bust. At least when Becton played he looked like an NFL OT. 

What?  Why?  We still need OL and AVT has proven to be a better guard.  Even if you're banking on Becton being healthy, we can still use a high end OT.

Honestly, even if you are 100% confident that Becton will be healthy, I don't see the harm in drafting an OL in the 1st.  If anything we end up with an elite young OL....could be worse things.  

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

Quincy is 26. He has already gotten much better in coverage. He may not reach elite level, but thats totally fine. He is already a core piece on a top 5 defense. He had over 100 tackles this year and critically, he stays healthy. He's a good player. If he's not asking for a ton of money, I'm not sure how you just let him walk because you 'want new blood'- whatever that means. LOL. 

And again, I'm not saying ignore the LB position in the draft. Did I not just say potentially look for  a LB in rd. 2?! lmfao.

I'm just saying lets not use out top pick on a frikkin LB. We really don't need to do that. 

Same thing with Kwon. The Jets play 2 LBs, 4 linemen, 3 CBs and 2 safeties on majority of snaps. Kwon is a rotational player. You don't need to invest a high draft pick or any significant cap on a rotational player. Kwon is a great fit- he knows the defense, excels in the defense and plays fast. If he is available cheap (and he probably will be). I don't see why you try to find 'new blood'. He's a great backup. 

In case you didn't  notice, this top 5 defense sucked against the run. 

11 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I think we need to draft at least one OL ...id prefer two ... but I agree with the rest of your thoughts ... especially on LB. 

17 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

In case you didn't  notice, this top 5 defense sucked against the run. 

They were actually middle of the pack. They were 17th giving up 121.6 rush yards a game.  They were 10th overall in rush yards per play (4.2). Most other critical stats they were top 5 (Sacks a game they were 8th). 

This defense is fine. And this defense does not 'suck' against the run. Especially when they are ranked 4th in points given up and yards given up a game (i.e.- it doesn't matter if their rush D is not top tier). 

Keep the defensive unit together. Add some depth/fill holes through the draft or low-cost FA. And focus all of our efforts on the offense- specifically patching up the O-line and bringing in the best QB we can find. This is why you invest heavy in a FA QB and draft an OT in Rd. 1. 

JMHO.  

On 1/24/2023 at 8:34 AM, More Cowbell said:

I don't  see the Jets bringing in any more OT. Maybe a C and a G, but we have Brown, Becton, and AVT who showed he can play OT. We don't  need 4 guys who should be starting. 

Going out on a limb here, seeing how the Jets don't have a center under contract and, if they do dump Tomlinson, the only non-AVT guards they have under contract are strictly reserve guys.

Lol, anyway I think there's still a good chance they draft a tackle, but agree a FA starter is less likely.

This situation is actually a pretty good setup to draft someone who doesn't have to start from day 1, but there's no problem demoting any of the current 3 (swap AVT's name with Mitchell) if he looks like the real deal right away. At least one of Brown-Becton-Mitchell is likely to miss at least some time, due to age-fatness-F5L respectively, so there could/should be a true live-action look at him in '23. Then next year he starts, seeing how Brown & Becton are both UFAs in 2024. 

i know tomlinson isn't being shown much love but i would point out that he was being coached by the milfy crowd and just didn't like it.  he was also placed next to brown who has a bad arm.  he's not the first guard who didn't want to play for the jets.  my guess is that tomlinson will come back strong next season. brown? i think they have to wait and see how becton is and who they can draft or acquire in free agency.

On 1/24/2023 at 8:34 AM, More Cowbell said:

I don't  see the Jets bringing in any more OT. Maybe a C and a G, but we have Brown, Becton, and AVT who showed he can play OT. We don't  need 4 guys who should be starting. 

We don't need 4 guys that should be starting.  We need 5. one of your 3 "starting tackles" is a starting guard.  Start next year off with Brown, Becton, Mitchell and another drafted tackle.   It doesn't have to be a 1st, but they should be bringing somebody else in since Brown is ancient and Becton has missed 2 full seasons.  AVT can kick out if he has to, but he should be a starting G.  They will need to replace McGovern and Fant who are FAs that likely won't be back. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

We don't need 4 guys that should be starting.  We need 5. one of your 3 "starting tackles" is a starting guard.  Start next year off with Brown, Becton, Mitchell and another drafted tackle.   It doesn't have to be a 1st, but they should be bringing somebody else in since Brown is ancient and Becton has missed 2 full seasons.  AVT can kick out if he has to, but he should be a starting G.  They will need to replace McGovern and Fant who are FAs that likely won't be back. 

I like the way Brown is ancient but everyone is excited with the prospect of Rodgers playing next season.