Who is your comp for Quinnen Williams?

hawk

I think he should get $22m per year. Makes him the 2nd highest average salary for a DT and it would be a significant increase over what the Jets could pay him:

5th Year: $9.5m

1st Tag: ~$18.9m

2nd Tag: ~$22.7m

Total: $51.1m (avg $17m per year)

If he asks for too much Douglas won't give him an deal and use all the available money to save his own job. I think it's a delicate balance. You are sending a message to the rest of the team with this contract.

• Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think he should get $22m per year. Makes him the 2nd highest average salary for a DT and it would be a significant increase over what the Jets could pay him:

If he asks for too much Douglas won't give him an deal and use all the available money to save his own job. I think it's a delicate balance. You are sending a message to the rest of the team with this contract.

I had him at almost the exact same, about 22 a year.   I see him getting about a 5 year, 110 million deal with 60-80 guaranteed.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

This is key.  The Jets have a lot of power over him.  It’s not like Leo’s contract where the Giants had no options. 

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

This is key.  The Jets have a lot of power over him.  It’s not like Leo’s contract where the Giants had no options. 

5th year extension + franchise tag for 2 years.

It’s in everyone’s interest to get a fair deal done.  The guy had his first great year, no one should make him out to be anywhere near the Aaron Donald level of game wrecker, or well above the other top DTs.

Give him a bump to the 3 year average and round up to $20M.

Or play hardball if he wants something outrageous.  That’s what the disciplined front offices do.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

5th year extension + franchise tag for 2 years.

It’s in everyone’s interest to get a fair deal done.  The guy had his first great year, let’s not make him out to be anywhere near the Aaron Donald level of game wrecker.

Give him a bump to the 3 year average and round up to $20M.

Or play hardball if he wants something outrageous.  That’s what the disciplined front offices do.

Most of the dominant DTs break out in their 3rd year.  QW was right on schedule…

That, and DT production does not drop off as soon as other positions.  He could play damn good ball easily into his 30s.

46 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

That’s pretty high @Sonny Werblin i don’t see that happening.

Agree to disagree.  The cap is going up every year and he just turned 25 in December. He will be a bargain before year 3 of the contract. If I was his agent, I'm not letting him sign any deal for less than $23 million AAV with $50 million guaranteed, but I think when push comes to shove he is worth more.  In 2025 he will be 27 years old and the best DT in the NFL. He's already (by statistics) the second best.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Most of the dominant DTs break out in their 3rd year.  QW was right on schedule…

That, and DT production does not drop off as soon as other positions.  He could play damn good ball easily into his 30s.

Hahah!!  I got you! it was his fourth year ;).

I get it, just let’s be cautious in throwing $25M at the guy.  He’s also missed time in each of his 4 years.