The Biggest Surprise Players for the 23/24 Jets

JetBlue

Assuming we get the quarterback we need, starting with Aaron Rogers at number 1 and Derek Carr 2, and we get an OC who can coach to his talent, I think the biggest surprise players for next season will be Jeremy Ruckert followed by Denzel Mims and Mehki Becton.   Let me start with Ruckert. 

This kid has all the tools to be a top flight TE and add to JDs great 2022 draft.  All he needs is a OC to actually play him, and a quarterback who will get him a couple of looks a game.  He could turn out to be a real safety value.    Of course his blocking will be very important with Breece Hall back.   Lets hope our coaching staff won't get caught up in how much a player is making and just plays the best player a good number of snaps.   I realize we have Conklin and Uzomah but I still think this guy could be dynamic in the pass game. 

Denzel Mims - I can already hear the laugh track lol.   It comes down to this; unless he is traded, he is mostly likely not getting cut and will be back next year to compete for a spot.   Now you get a OC who sees what Mims CAN do and not focus on what he can't like a certain jobless OC.   
Like you know, use him in the red zone, on 50-50 balls, on slants, etc.   And definitely use his blocking to assist in the run game.   Of course I could just be looking threw green colored glasses, but hey that is just how I see it.  Of course a lot will depend on who else they bring in at WR, either threw trade, FA or the draft.  I think Mims will be given every chance to impress his new OC and quarterback.  I will be rooting for him to do so. 

Mekhi Becton - probably even more laughter lol.   Look, he can't possibly get HURT AGAIN? RIGHT?  At least not for a season or two (I hope).  So assuming he is healthy, it will be like getting another top draft pick added to the line.  But one who has already played a season in the league.   We all know that he can be a BEAST in the run game,  In fact all three players I have highlighted are pluses in the run game.  With Breece, Bam, Carter perhaps Johnson and AVT coming back, our running game should be top 5-10 in the league.   That will make the life of whichever quarterback we get, much easier and help in the play action and passing game in general. 

Of course there are other players who could also mention; I think Jermaine Johnson is going have a monster year, assuming he gets the snaps.  I don't know if I would consider that a surprise though.   

Who do you see has surprise players for the Jets next year?  What are your reasons?   Have at it! 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Well they have to throw it to him first.... 

He had 25 targets this season, and only 11 catches. a 44% catch rate. To reference, Zach Wilson had a 54% completion rate this season. He's catching much less than average on the Jets.

14 minutes ago, Hex said:

He had 25 targets this season, and only 11 catches. a 44% catch rate. To reference, Zach Wilson had a 54% completion rate this season. He's catching much less than average on the Jets.

You can't look at it like that. How many of those "targets" were on target??  He was a rarely used part of the offense and in watching the actual games, some of those were uncatchable.  I don't put much stock into statistics like that when you are used sparingly in an offense.  Lets see what his numbers look like when he is actually included into the offensive game plan. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

You can't look at it like that. How many of those "targets" were on target??  He was a rarely used part of the offense and in watching the actual games, some of those were uncatchable.  I don't put much stock into statistics like that when you are used sparingly in an offense.  Lets see what his numbers look like when he is actually included into the offensive game plan. 

He had the lowest catch % of any player on the team. There were 5 players targeted less than him, so 'used sparingly' can be ignored, as there are 5 other players used less than him. In fact, he has the lowest catch by 6% and is the only one under 50%. If, for some reason, passes are being thrown less accurately to him than other receivers, that is more of a Mims problem than a QB passes problem.

CJ Uzomah had only 2 more targets than Mims, and caught 21 of those. If Mims is used sparingly, than so is Uzomah and thus your 'off target' argument is moot. I could use virtually any receiver who isn't top 5 in catching and prove this point.

• Upvote 1

On 1/25/2023 at 11:46 PM, Hex said:

He had the lowest catch % of any player on the team. There were 5 players targeted less than him, so 'used sparingly' can be ignored, as there are 5 other players used less than him. In fact, he has the lowest catch by 6% and is the only one under 50%. If, for some reason, passes are being thrown less accurately to him than other receivers, that is more of a Mims problem than a QB passes problem.

CJ Uzomah had only 2 more targets than Mims, and caught 21 of those. If Mims is used sparingly, than so is Uzomah and thus your 'off target' argument is moot. I could use virtually any receiver who isn't top 5 in catching and prove this point.

Well I will see what he can do with a real OC and Quarterback throwing him the ball.  You can ignore used sparingly if you want but the fact remains he was rarely targeted.  Funny how he seemed to catch passes better when Gase was the HC. All of a sudden he forget how to catch under MLF?  Sorry I don't buy it.   Sometimes you have to use your eyes and stop relying on analytics. 

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Well I will see what he can do with a real OC and Quarterback throwing him the ball.  You can ignore used sparingly if you want but the fact remains he was rarely targeted.  Funny how he seemed to catch passes better when Gase was the HC. All of a sudden he forget how to catch under MLF?  Sorry I don't buy it.   Sometimes you have to use your eyes and stop relying on analytics. 

I am using my eyes. What I see is Mims was targeted more with Gase because there weren't any options and when more receivers showed up they were better and he was pushed down the depth chart. With Gase the Jets didn't have Elijah Moore, Corey Davis, Garrett Wilson, or either of the starting TEs. Of course he was going to get targeted less. 

The matter of the fact is that Mims has been getting less play because he isn't one of the top WRs on the team. That could be due to bad coaching or a QB that doesn't know how to throw the ball, but other WRs played better and so were targeted and put on the field more. 

18 minutes ago, Hex said:

I am using my eyes. What I see is Mims was targeted more with Gase because there weren't any options and when more receivers showed up they were better and he was pushed down the depth chart. With Gase the Jets didn't have Elijah Moore, Corey Davis, Garrett Wilson, or either of the starting TEs. Of course he was going to get targeted less. 

The matter of the fact is that Mims has been getting less play because he isn't one of the top WRs on the team. That could be due to bad coaching or a QB that doesn't know how to throw the ball, but other WRs played better and so were targeted and put on the field more. 

And I hope a new OC comes in and gives him a clean slate. If he does, I think Mims will produce.  Time will tell. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/25/2023 at 11:18 PM, Hex said:

Yeah.....That stat is VERY misleading.

I can recall, off the top of my head, 6 of those misses where Zach Wilson overthrew the 6'3" Mims by a LONG SHOT.  So, perhaps with a quarterback with any kind of accuracy, Mims might actually look like quality depth at the least. 

On 1/25/2023 at 10:39 PM, JetBlue said:

Assuming we get the quarterback we need, starting with Aaron Rogers at number 1 and Derek Carr 2, and we get an OC who can coach to his talent, I think the biggest surprise players for next season will be Jeremy Ruckert followed by Denzel Mims and Mehki Becton.   Let me start with Ruckert. 

This kid has all the tools to be a top flight TE and add to JDs great 2022 draft.  All he needs is a OC to actually play him, and a quarterback who will get him a couple of looks a game.  He could turn out to be a real safety value.    Of course his blocking will be very important with Breece Hall back.   Lets hope our coaching staff won't get caught up in how much a player is making and just plays the best player a good number of snaps.   I realize we have Conklin and Uzomah but I still think this guy could be dynamic in the pass game. 

Denzel Mims - I can already hear the laugh track lol.   It comes down to this; unless he is traded, he is mostly likely not getting cut and will be back next year to compete for a spot.   Now you get a OC who sees what Mims CAN do and not focus on what he can't like a certain jobless OC.   
Like you know, use him in the red zone, on 50-50 balls, on slants, etc.   And definitely use his blocking to assist in the run game.   Of course I could just be looking threw green colored glasses, but hey that is just how I see it.  Of course a lot will depend on who else they bring in at WR, either threw trade, FA or the draft.  I think Mims will be given every chance to impress his new OC and quarterback.  I will be rooting for him to do so. 

Mekhi Becton - probably even more laughter lol.   Look, he can't possibly get HURT AGAIN? RIGHT?  At least not for a season or two (I hope).  So assuming he is healthy, it will be like getting another top draft pick added to the line.  But one who has already played a season in the league.   We all know that he can be a BEAST in the run game,  In fact all three players I have highlighted are pluses in the run game.  With Breece, Bam, Carter perhaps Johnson and AVT coming back, our running game should be top 5-10 in the league.   That will make the life of whichever quarterback we get, much easier and help in the play action and passing game in general. 

Of course there are other players who could also mention; I think Jermaine Johnson is going have a monster year, assuming he gets the snaps.  I don't know if I would consider that a surprise though.   

Who do you see has surprise players for the Jets next year?  What are your reasons?   Have at it! 

I don’t know if these will be surprises or the natural progression of players. Except for Mims they’ve all shown some seriously good flashes.  It just takes a full season for guys to get near their potentials.  I think one guy who may surprise is zwilson. He pretty much has to show he belongs even if he doesn’t start or is a spot starter. Another guy is Tomlinson. He had a bad year but that could be mostly on milfy. Some players need different motivations to be good. Tomlinson was good for the niners he should’ve been good for the jets.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yeah.....That stat is VERY misleading.

I can recall, off the top of my head, 6 of those misses where Zach Wilson overthrew the 6'3" Mims by a LONG SHOT.  So, perhaps with a quarterback with any kind of accuracy, Mims might actually look like quality depth at the least. 

That doesn't explain why every other pass catcher has a higher than 50% reception rate on the Jets. I he just simply more accurate with other receivers?

Like the Ricjert take.

If the Jets don’t find a way to use the TEs I might lose my mind. It’s the easiest position to scheme into mismatches, and we just can’t do it. The caliber of athlete playing TE the last 20 years is far and away a different breed from what defenders used to be able to cover.

Uzomah is nice. Conk is also nice. Ruckert can be a key cog in the offense. Kid has soft hands and contorts will kill himself to secure a catch… something we could have used this past season with all of the pivotal drops.

• Upvote 2

On 1/28/2023 at 10:22 AM, rangerous said:

I don’t know if these will be surprises or the natural progression of players. Except for Mims they’ve all shown some seriously good flashes.  It just takes a full season for guys to get near their potentials.  I think one guy who may surprise is zwilson. He pretty much has to show he belongs even if he doesn’t start or is a spot starter. Another guy is Tomlinson. He had a bad year but that could be mostly on milfy. Some players need different motivations to be good. Tomlinson was good for the niners he should’ve been good for the jets.

So you are writing off his rookie season under Gase?  He did have a few "seriously good flashes" that season.   It is almost like folks think his career started under Saleh and MLF. 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He has to stop making mistakes getting flagged at the LOS and has to get open 

Yeah I think he was open plenty last season and the narrative that he is penalty prone is false.  All players have penalties but for some reason Mims is the only always ever singled out for them.   

Right now the one player most criticized by fans, players, the press, CS, owner etc has to be Zach. From bonafide starter (with no competition) to being basically out the door. Not even sure he’ll be on the roster despite what the team is saying it could be spin to increase trade value. It’s unusual to see a starting QB fall this fast and this hard even being deactivated for games during the season. Remember he was coming off an injury too and missed the first 3 games. So he’s the long shot to make a comeback. 

22 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Yeah I think he was open plenty last season and the narrative that he is penalty prone is false.  All players have penalties but for some reason Mims is the only always ever singled out for them.   

Given that he lines up less frequently and the number of mistakes that’s just not true

Im not ready to give up but he has to show he’s capable.  Just being big and fast doesn’t make him free from blame.  So far it’s all on him

A surprise would be Zach. Not becoming a FQB but giving some promise more than his terrible season this year. Would only happen if we sign Jimmy G or someone that would get hurt. Otherwise he won’t play. But I can see him starting a couple of games and playing well. 

Otherwise, I like Mims to break out. I think Davis is gone and we won’t replace him with anyone other than a 3rd or later draft pick. Especially if Rodgers or Carr are our QBs. Mims is a strong run blocker, and I think that will work to his benefit. Also I think Becton actually plays and plays well as our RT. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

So you are writing off his rookie season under Gase?  He did have a few "seriously good flashes" that season.   It is almost like folks think his career started under Saleh and MLF. 

No, what I’m saying is Mims could surprise with a different oc from milfy. It would be great if he did because he’s pretty big and fast for a wr.

• Upvote 1

On 1/28/2023 at 11:02 AM, Integrity28 said:

Like the Ricjert take.

If the Jets don’t find a way to use the TEs I might lose my mind. It’s the easiest position to scheme into mismatches, and we just can’t do it. The caliber of athlete playing TE the last 20 years is far and away a different breed from what defenders used to be able to cover.

Uzomah is nice. Conk is also nice. Ruckert can be a key cog in the offense. Kid has soft hands and contorts will kill himself to secure a catch… something we could have used this past season with all of the pivotal drops.

I love Ruckert and have no problem with him essentially redshirting this year.

Although there were a million things Mac did wrong, I was furious when he didnt take Kittle in the draft.  Not that I ever thought kittle would be this good, but kittles scouting report was that his floor was "an elite blocking TE for 10+ years" - when you get to the mid rounds, thats a great floor.

Ruckert has that blocking ability.  I dont forsee him being Travis Kelce, but the main reason that Kittle is so good is that when he is on the field, he forces you to stay in a base defense because of his blocking.  Ruckert can be that game altering blocker which will put him on LBs when he goes out on pass routes, making him a great receiver.  

The contract for CJ is so brutal that we are likely going to have to waste him entirely next year but I think it will be worth it to see Ruckert's development and then his upside as a starter in 2024 - beyond

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Given that he lines up less frequently and the number of mistakes that’s just not true

Im not ready to give up but he has to show he’s capable.  Just being big and fast doesn’t make him free from blame.  So far it’s all on him

Funny how he had no issues with Gase or in College.  What I see is a guy who was walking on eggshells, afraid to a make a mistake because is OC was an idiot and tried to ruin his career.  Many young players will make a mistake, run a wrong route or drop a pass but I don't know many top rated players who get treated the way MLF treated Mims, especially last season.  If I didn't know any better I would have thought he was an undrafted free agent.   No one is saying he is blameless; but I look at all the factors (like trying to force him to learn every single route practically overnight).   The last thing you want a player to do, especially a young player, is to be thinking or in some cases, over thinking on the field.  

This year it is on Mims, assuming he gets the opportunity, it is make or break for him.   

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Funny how he had no issues with Gase or in College.  What I see is a guy who was walking on eggshells, afraid to a make a mistake because is OC was an idiot and tried to ruin his career.  Many young players will make a mistake, run a wrong route or drop a pass but I don't know many top rated players who get treated the way MLF treated Mims, especially last season.  If I didn't know any better I would have thought he was an undrafted free agent.   No one is saying he is blameless; but I look at all the factors (like trying to force him to learn every single route practically overnight).   The last thing you want a player to do, especially a young player, is to be thinking or in some cases, over thinking on the field.  

This year it is on Mims, assuming he gets the opportunity, it is make or break for him.   

23 receptions?  Has he gotten better or worse?

Right now he’s a scrub, bottom of the roster WR who if he looks the same is gone

We can't rule out LaFleur as a reason players either didn't improve or got worse during his time. Sure, we have to account for other factors like poor QB play, but not a single offensive player looked better in the last two years than their performance beforehand. There is a reason LaFleur was demoted as a positional coach in SF. We'll see what comes of these players next year under a new OC and hopefully a new QB.