Hackett to be hired as OC

4 minutes ago, JetsAddict said:

Someone needs to explain this logic to me. 

You fire Mike LaFleur only to hire one of the only coaches who orchestrated a worse offense than he did last year? Plus Hackett had Russell Wilson. Say what you want about Russ, but he’s better than Zach Wilson. 

This shows how dysfunctional and bad MLF was that Hackett is considered an improvement.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, pointman said:

You downvoting every post I make is kind of stalkerish. Between that and your angry negative posts, you seem to be having a hard life. I hope it improves. PM me if you need help. Job, cash, etc. I'm here for you little fella. 

I'm a nice stalker Point-a-ram-a!

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

How lovely.

A guy who was on the brink of being laughed out of the league and wasn't sure he even wanted to coach in '23 is the new OC tasked with resurrecting an offense and breaking a 12-year playoff drought.

The fans in Denver had to count out loud so the Broncos avoided delay of game penalties last season. That's how bad it was.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, dcJet said:

This shows how dysfunctional and bad MLF was that Hackett is considered an improvement.

It's like saying the roof is leaking in my house, so I sold it rather than fix it. Then I realized there are no houses on the market worth buying, so I'm living in a trailer park. But my roof doesn't leak!

3 hours ago, Jethead said:

Good choices!

Still hoping for Carr, not Rogers. Roger's is such a diva and seems to be 180 degrees from the value set the Jets espouse. 

Rodgers needs to be massaged by the magic of PVO. He'll come around.

3 hours ago, pointman said:

Nice sentiment and all, but sitting out and being paid nothing versus coming to a desperate team and getting paid something with "nothing to lose" is much more of a realistic reason of why he did it. 

He wasn't getting paid nothing; he was due to get paid (in full) for doing nothing.

1 hour ago, Darnold615 said:

Is there any reason the jets made this move so early?  I was just telling my friend this morning too many dominos waiting to fall for the jets to make the first OC hire.  Its not like there seemed to be a huge market for Hackett?

Didnt they at least want to wait on some of the other names to see where they land or dont land?

They interviewed everyone south of Canada for the position, except those who declined to be interviewed or who are under contract with other teams. Who else is left?

- Callahan would be a lateral move from OC of a SB team to OC of the Jets. Nobody's going to do that.

- Ditto the Eagles' OC Steichen. Johnson their QBC has never been an OC before. I mean, other than 1 season as the OC for the Houston Cougars back in 2017.

- SF, who are they going to interview for the Jets' OC job -- Shanahan?

- KC, maybe Bienemy I guess. Unfair as it may be to him, since he can only coach who's on the team, I can sympathize with a reluctance to hire an OC who's never had to install a new offense himself, and the only QB he's ever had to coordinate-for is Patrick Mahomes -- all those TD & successful impossible improv plays and throws don't translate to anyone else on earth being behind center. It's a legit concern, not to mention this as well would be a lateral move for him, and he's had his eyes on becoming a HC (his last interview here was for that position, before the team went with Saleh).

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Hate to think this way, but I have to with the Johnson's. How much of his salary is being paid by Denver? Denver would be on the hook for anything that does not go up to $4mill with his position on the Jets.

Typically I think that's how it goes, unless the next contract is a lateral move (like the Jets or someone else hiring him as HC).

Still, for all the backstabbing some owners/GMs will do to one another, I don't think anyone's ever taken that to its full advantage (i.e. Jets paying Hackett $1.50/week, since Denver's picking up the rest of the tab anyway).

Most likely he's getting a normal OC salary, whatever that is these days ($2MM?). Presumably, yes, Denver picks up the rest. It does speak to Hackett actually wanting to do this here; he's clearly not doing this for the money in the short term, since he's effectively getting paid $0.

That is, unless there is a no-offset clause in his Denver contract, where this OC job just adds to it.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Typically I think that's how it goes, unless the next contract is a lateral move (like the Jets or someone else hiring him as HC).

Still, for all the backstabbing some owners/GMs will do to one another, I don't think anyone's ever taken that to its full advantage (i.e. Jets paying Hackett $1.50/week, since Denver's picking up the rest of the tab anyway).

Most likely he's getting a normal OC salary, whatever that is these days ($2MM?). Presumably, yes, Denver picks up the rest. It does speak to Hackett actually wanting to do this here; he's clearly not doing this for the money in the short term, since he's effectively getting paid $0.

That is, unless there is a no-offset clause in his Denver contract, where this OC job just adds to it.

There are no off set clauses in Coaches contracts that I've ever heard of. 

• WTF? 1

terrible hire-

jet fans love to pump up trash-he is trash

denver offense was beyond terrible with better talent than our team has

only the jets would hire a guy that was ran out of town by his last team-this is Adam Gase part two-when Saleh gets fired after next year Hackett can take over

Rodgers is not coming to the jets -if they hired this trash to run the offense to try in lure arod in joe should be fired on the spot when arod stays with the packers which he will-Joe copying the failed Denver model is typical jets

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

Just now, kmnj said:

terrible hire-

jet fans love to pump up trash-he is trash

denver offense was beyond terrible with better talent than our team has

only the jets would hire a guy that was ran out of town by his last team-this is Adam Gase part two-when Saleh gets fired after next year Hackett can take over

Rodgers is not coming to the jets -if they hired this trash to run the offense to try in lure arod in joe should be fired on the spot when arod stays with the packers which he will-Joe copying the failed Denver model is typical jets

You realize they hired him as an Offensive Coordinator not Head Coach right? How could it be Adam Gase part 2? Take a Valium

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, choon328 said:

You realize they hired him as an Offensive Coordinator not Head Coach right? How could it be Adam Gase part 2? Take a Valium

yes I do 

Gase was an OC then a failed head coach-we thought hey he sucked at his last job lets hire him to run our offense

• Thumb Down 2

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Hackett is due $80K per week for the next 4 years from Denver.  Denver is on the hook for $80K-Jets salary.  So if he makes $40K per week here and stays 4 years, the broncos owe him $40K per week for that 4 year period. 

https://www.essentiallysports.com/nfl-news-reports-fired-hc-nathaniel-hackett-set-to-receive-tons-of-broncos-money-every-week-for-next-3-years/

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, JetsAddict said:

Someone needs to explain this logic to me. 

You fire Mike LaFleur only to hire one of the only coaches who orchestrated a worse offense than he did last year? Plus Hackett had Russell Wilson. Say what you want about Russ, but he’s better than Zach Wilson. 

He sucked last year as a head coach for sure but his experience as a coordinator tells a different story. Aside from last year and one year as a QB coach, he's been an OC for the past decade. For this team, that's a huge upgrade at OC. How many OCs during the same period have the Jets hired that weren't brand new to the job or on the tail end of their career? Morton I guess but that's not one I would celebrate.

• Upvote 2

This poor schlub is an SNL skit waiting to happen.

It's hilarious until you realize this man is now "leading" your offense.

Q:  "Were you aware that he threw a punch on the sidelines?"

A:  "No, I just heard about that."

"When I look at the tape, I'll get a better feel for that."

• Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, kmnj said:

yes I do 

Gase was an OC then a failed head coach-we thought hey he sucked at his last job lets hire him to run our offense

But they're hiring Hackett as an OC and they hired Gase as a HC. Those things aren't the same

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Very good news.  He was a great OC, I dont really care that he was an awful head coach.

I agree that this means the Jets are going to put on the full court press for rodgers.

I think it has to be an upgrade over MLF. So I approve.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

"We didn't get into specifics on names, but we were up front [with Hackett] in that we do want to bring in a veteran quarterback."

- Bobby Salad

Does this guy realize how ridiculous his lies sound?

I'm pretty sure he can't mention the veteran QB's they talked about without it being tampering. If he answered that question by saying they did talk about QBs the next logical questions are about which QBs they talked about. It's easier just to deny it so you don't get those follow up questions that you can't answer anyway. 

As an aside, everyone should take at least 1 public relations course and you'd all understand that 99% of what organizations say publicly is bull sh*t. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

People going crazy over this is amusing. The reality is that without a QB it doesn't matter who the OC is. Most "brilliant" OC's have great QB's, that's usually the way it works. Great QB's make everybody look better. 

Then why fire LaFleur and make GW and everybody else learn a new playbook with new verbiage?

• Thumb Down 2

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Then why fire LaFleur and make GW and everybody else learn a new playbook with new verbiage?

Similar playbook, similar verbiage. 

Why fire LaFleur? To use him as a scapegoat for the GM for his terrible Zach Wilson pick. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2