Hackett to be hired as OC

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

He made Latavius Murray relevant out of nowhere. I’m def not concern with the run game. It comes down to getting a QB that can execute.

His run games have always been solid, to awesome and always featured his RB's out of the backfield.

Fred Jackson/CJ Spiller/Anthony Dixon

Leonard Fournette/TJ Yeldon/Chris Ivory

Aaron Jones/Jamall Williams/AJ Dillon

Should be interesting to see what he can do w/ Hall/Bam/Carter - lets be real, if the running game was even remotely an option down the stretch, they probably dont lose out like they did.  And we know that nothing compliments a great D better than a ball control offense who can run it down your throat.  I wouldnt be surprised if that was more important in the assessment of the position vs. the passing game strictly because I think they know they're upgrading QB and that should improve by simply have competence at the position 

This board was clamoring for Greg Olsen and Derek Carr.  Greg Olson resumes is much worse than Hackett.  Olson in 14 years of being an OC, had a top 10 offense, twice and his run games have predominately been terrible his entire career. 

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Paradis said:

for sure on the "experience calling plays" would have been a requirement for me to be considered. R. Wilson was bad, but also as a HC, attitude and engagement his responsibility. That's inherently part of the job description and title of "Coach". 

Regardless, we've been so many cycles of this stuff that I'm reached journeyman status in "We're On To Cincinnati"... Few fcks left to give at this point. If Rodgers winds up in here however... then stoke the fires of Mordor. 

Personally, I'm completely ambivalent about this hiring. Hackett has been good at times, not so good at others. If the Jets don't fix the QB and OL, it doesn't matter who the OC is. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I agree but he wasn’t hired as a HC.  That would have had me scratching my head but he’s our OC.  I’ve seen Walton, Coslet as top OCs and even Kotite to a degree fail miserably IMO as HCs.  

I didn't realize Joe Walton was a respected OC, by the time I started watching the Jets, he was already the head coach and all I remember is him picking his nose on the sidelines. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I didn't realize Joe Walton was a respected OC, by the time I started watching the Jets, he was already the head coach and all I remember is him picking his nose on the sidelines. 

Yeah, Theisman swore by him after Waltons run of success in Wash.   Then two good years as OC before taking over for Michaels here.

Funny that as a HC he’s best remembered for regularly getting caught on camera picking his nose.  

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

I get having hope that is all many of us jet fans have had for decades without getting to the big game.

This is a TERRIBLE hire-either you are blind or did not watch the Broncos last year-their offense was beyond terrible-fans chanting so they get plays off on time. It was the worst offense in the NFL

Only the jets look at a guy that was just run out of town for being awful and then hire him-We did it with Gase who was run out of Miami and now with this trash-yes I understand this trash is the OC not the head coach but he was brought in to fix the offense when he just ran the worst offense in the league with better talent than ours-Russ might be washed but the is still a million times better than Zach

This hire is the final nail in the coffin of our gm and our coach

• WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

7 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

People can sh!t on Hackett all they want.  As long as he doesn’t run from the gun nearly as much as MLF and isn’t total garbage in short yardage situations, he’s fine in my book.

OC was never going to “right the ship”.  This franchise needs a QB.

Honestly, I am not sure what to think of Hackett.  I like the idea of an experienced OC.  The guy had a top 10 offense in Jacksonville with Blake Bortles as his QB, but he has also had a lot of bottom half of the league offenses when he has not had Rodgers.  And it is hard to be excited about him after seeing what the Denver offense looked like last year.

I will hope for the best, but not sure what to make of this hire just yet.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

People can sh!t on Hackett all they want.  As long as he doesn’t run from the gun nearly as much as MLF and isn’t total garbage in short yardage situations, he’s fine in my book.

OC was never going to “right the ship”.  This franchise needs a QB.

But the OC was supposed lay the foundation that could help this young offense learn and grow together. Instead of using cement for that foundation MLF used quicksand. Talent is always going to be the difference maker at the high level but teams like SF build the foundation and plug in the pieces. 

20 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

...very authoritative, but in a very like dictatorship-type of way. Keith grew every single year, and he did [have] impossible standards. … Sometimes you’d just want a pat on the back and you’d never really get that.”

What a whiny emo bitch. And if I ever saw Lewan in a bar I'd get up nose to nose & tell him right to his emo bitch face. That's what I'd do.

He sounds like a guy who listens to “Everbody hurts” by REM all the time.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Peteo said:

My question is can he work to the players strengths or is going to try to fit a square peg in a round hold?

Which is why I really don't want Rodgers. If AR comes here it becomes all about him and he in essence will be calling the shots. If the Jets are going to have any sustainable success it needs to start from the foundation up. Bringing in Rodgers is throwing a fresh coat of paint on the house while the beams are rotting .  

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

He was. Primary reason he was promoted to HC and Michaels was forced out. Jets didn’t want to lose Joe to another team. 

13 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Didn’t Hall of Famer Peyton Manning think so highly of Gase?

fair enough

but gase wasn't manning's head coach (the role the jets hired him for). hackett is coming as OC.  he was rodgers' OC.

in the end, i give more merit to what players who played under a coach think than what message board posters who've never met the person think.  doesn't mean it is always right and the coach works out. 

i'm certainly not jumping up and down on the hackett hire, and i DO NOT want rodgers at this juncture.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetblue95 said:

fair enough

but gase wasn't manning's head coach (the role the jets hired him for). hackett is coming as OC.  he was rodgers' OC.

in the end, i give more merit to what players who played under a coach think than what message board posters who've never met the person think.  doesn't mean it is always right and the coach works out. 

i'm certainly not jumping up and down on the hackett hire, and i DO NOT want rodgers at this juncture.

Good thoughts … I prefer Carr myself..

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

Personally, I'm completely ambivalent about this hiring. Hackett has been good at times, not so good at others. If the Jets don't fix the QB and OL, it doesn't matter who the OC is. 

Pretty much

With Reich getting another HC gig and Bevell (who most didn’t want anyway) not accepting any interviews, I’m not sure what everyone was expecting.

If we hired some green up-and-comer like Patullo or the like, there would still be a contingent skeptical about his lack of playcalling experience.

Hackett isn’t a “wow” hiring by any stretch, but at least he’s shown competence and has a close relationship with Rodgers which should only help us in recruiting him. And if there was ever a time Green Bay would move on at QB, it’s now. I know many still consider it a pipedream but it feels destined to happen.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

On 1/26/2023 at 10:56 AM, GangGreened said:

Guys that are OCs for the Rodgers, Mannings, and Brady.. it’s easy to look good when you have a generational type QB under center.

Look what he did in Jacksonville and under Marone in Buffalo. He was bad.

I'm not even including the Denver debacle.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, shuler82 said:

this thing has such strong Gase/Manning vibes it’s tough to be optimistic.

Mediocre track record but praised my an HOF QB….and Denver’s offense was terrible last year. But we expect him to come in here and turn this ship around? 

You're only as good as your QB and Denver has the 2nd worst QB play in the nfl last year. We all know who was last. 

5 hours ago, shuler82 said:

this thing has such strong Gase/Manning vibes it’s tough to be optimistic.

Mediocre track record but praised my an HOF QB….and Denver’s offense was terrible last year. But we expect him to come in here and turn this ship around? 

Was trying to dive into Denver forums to see what was up. Most were saying a lot of it fell on R Wilson and his personality of doing things his way and made Hacketts attempts to install his offense impossible. Basically the 250 million dollar QB had more pull than the HC. Hackett and RW pairing was just not a good one. 

• Upvote 1

Someone gets a head coaching job because he must have impressed as an OC or other position. We complained that the Jets only hired 1st year coaches and when we hire a guy with experience and some success, and we are still complaining. Would love to know who you  all were expecting them to hire. Give me a name that was a better option with better success that didn’t take a HC position or turned us down. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Someone gets a head coaching job because he must have impressed as an OC or other position. We complained that the Jets only hired 1st year coaches and when we hire a guy with experience and some success, and we are still complaining. Would love to know who you  all were expecting them to hire. Give me a name that was a better option with better success that didn’t take a HC position or turned us down. 

Just a thought, but maybe don’t lose who you have when you can’t replace him with someone better? 

• WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Just a thought, but maybe don’t lose who you have when you can’t replace him with someone better? 

MLF was a terrible OC. My sons high school football coach would be a better replacement. You get rid of the guy because he was awful at his job. The worst offensive game plan, with talent, that I have ever seen in 30 years. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

MLF was a terrible OC. My sons high school football coach would be a better replacement. You get rid of the guy because he was awful at his job. The worst offensive game plan, with talent, that I have ever seen in 30 years. 

Talent? He had Hall for 5 minutes, and GW but no one to get him the ball.

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Talent? He had Hall for 5 minutes, and GW but no one to get him the ball.

He had weapons that were utilized inappropriately or underused. He called more roll outs with Joe Flacco than Zach Wilson. He refused to play Elijah Moore, an undersized WR,  in the slot. He had an offense with the best offensive rookie in the NFL, scoring zero TDs in 3 games, to get in the playoffs, against average-below average defenses. His offense was generationally bad. The fact you are defending this guy is hilarious. 

6 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

He had weapons that were utilized inappropriately or underused. He called more roll outs with Joe Flacco than Zach Wilson. He refused to play Elijah Moore, an undersized WR,  in the slot. He had an offense with the best offensive rookie in the NFL, scoring zero TDs in 3 games, to get in the playoffs, against average-below average defenses. His offense was generationally bad. The fact you are defending this guy is hilarious. 

Actually what’s hilarious is that the only arguments you can come up with to support your opinion that he mishandled a “talented offense” are him rolling out Flacco and not utilizing a jag like Elijah Moore.

The fact that both were on the field at all speaks to the lack of talent he had to work with.

• WTF? 1

Just now, Green Ghost said:

Actually what’s hilarious is that the only arguments you can come up with to support your opinion that he mishandled a “talented offense” are him rolling out Flacco and not utilizing a jag like Elijah Moore.

Just wasted 45 minutes of my life. 

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Was trying to dive into Denver forums to see what was up. Most were saying a lot of it fell on R Wilson and his personality of doing things his way and made Hacketts attempts to install his offense impossible. Basically the 250 million dollar QB had more pull than the HC. Hackett and RW pairing was just not a good one. 

He did. RW had his own office in the Broncos complex. He also had a few assigned front row parking spots for him and “his people”.