Hackett to be hired as OC

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

His Offensive rankings as O-Co or Head Coach:

2013 - BUF - 2nd in Rushing, 28th in Passing - Overall 19th in Yards, 22nd in Points
2014 - BUF - 25th in Rushing, 18th in Passing - Overall 26th in Yards, 18th in Points
2015 - Unemployed
2016 - JAX - 22nd in Rushing, 20th in Passing - Overall 11th in Yards, 25th in Points
2017 - JAX - 1st in Rushing, 17th in Passing - Overall 6th in Yards, 5th in Points
2018 - JAX - 19th in Rushing, 26th in passing - Overall 27th in Yards, 31st in Points
2019 - GB - 15th in Rushing, 17th in Passing - Overall 18th in Yards, 15th in Points
2020 - GB - 8th in Rushing, 9th in Passing - Overall 5th in Yards, 1st in Points
2021 - GB - 18th in Rushing, 8th in Passing - Overall 10th in Yards, 10th in Points
2022 - DEN - 21st in Rushing, 19th in Passing - Overall 21st in Yards, 32nd in Points

Overall, got to admit, not that impressed.  

One good year in JAX (2017, on the back of Leonard Fornette and Chris Ivory).

Two good years in GB (2020 & 2021, on the back of HOF'er QB Aaron Rodgers).

His overall rankings (especially scoring offense) are mostly in the bottom half on the NFL, not the top, with the exceptions of those good years.

Without Rodgers or an equivalent at QB, I don't see this as a good hire.

Also, has Hackett ever "developed" a QB?  Sure doesn't look like it.  So not great for Z. Wilson...

I'd imagine the hope is Rodgers, with the fall back of leaning on the running game with a FA QB Carr/Jimmy G. I think whoever is QB Coach will be working with Zach exclusively.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Hiring and oc to try and placate a player is flat out stupid most of the time.  He was terrible in Denver and Jax, loved in GB but did not call plays, easy to be loved when you are not dishing out the ball.

This has Adam Gase hire written all over it.

We shall see I suppose but he was on my 'sucks do not hire list' when this all started.

?...my thoughts exactly...kind of worried but maybe he might work out. I'm not sure I had a strong opinion of anyone that I actually wanted to come here, so I suppose I can't be to disappointed.

Maybe he will know to get the play makers the ball and what a slant pass is 

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Are they trading number 1 picks for Rodgers or going another route?

I have no idea on that front yet. I've felt for a while they're going to go all-in on Rodgers, but none of that has come from people within the building... agents believe that a trade would include a 1st round pick and another conditional pick in 2024. 

• Upvote 3
  • More Ugh 1

29 minutes ago, heymangold said:

is rodgers needed if the plan is just to give it to breece?

well Breece can't run yet. hopefully he stays healthy... if Rodgers is here you don't have to press Breece as much as early. let him get fully comfortable with a competent QB

8 minutes ago, football guy said:

The goal is to have a more tough, "nasty" OL this year so shouldn't be much of a surprise

The Titans may have had worse injury luck that the JETS, so at least we know he can work with a patchwork group

10 minutes ago, football guy said:

There are still more moves. I think they will look to be more flexible with their implementation of the Shanahan/WCO while implementing more RPO

If they go to RPO, that would be for a QB not named Rodgers I would guess. An offense way more suited for a QB currently on the roster . Gee, wonder who that is?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Tanny is much better qb than what we had and we would have won maybe three or 5 more game with him as qb

Tanny is better true, but not the guy we need to bring in unless we miss on Rodgers, Lamar, Carr and even Jimmy. 

16 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I think Rodgers is probably happening though, all signs point to it...

Literally nothing actually points to it yet.

It's entirely 100% fan and media speculation, and a few same-as-usual cryptic attention-whoring comments from Rodgers, same as it was in previous years, will he get traded, will he retire, etc.

There is absolutely nothing firm, at all, that he is coming here.  Or to any of the OTHER 5 cities who ALSO think Rodgers-to-them is like, totally happening, lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

it really is incredible. The league is drowning in failsons. Kinda makes you feel for the undoubtedly more talented people that are constantly getting passed over for some ham brained scion.

there are 8 head coaches under 40 years old.  it's never been even remotely like that.

kind of disproves your point a bit.

• Sympathy 1

Personally, I love the hire.

Hackett's run in Denver and LeFleur's run with Zack and Gase's run with Sam and any other OC's run with a lesser QB should tell us this: Literally no OC can survive with garbage under center. A great run game and great defense can save a game or two. But no matter what an OC calls, if your QB struggles to execute the call, over and over and over again, then the passing game is toast.

If this hire adds even 1% to our chances of landing Rogers, it's worth its weight in gold.

But like I said in the other thread, this could be an even better hire if we DON'T land Rogers. In this case, we will really need an OC with years of proven experience. Say Mike White ends up as our Knight in shinny armor. This gives Hackett at least SOMETHING to work with. And this is where is 20 years of OC experience comes in.

The thought of rolling the dice (again) with some other team's 'passing game coordinator' who's never called a game in his life was scary at best.

All considered, a very good hire.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I agree generally with your point and this guy may have been a crappy head coach but was a very successful OC, at least with Rodgers. We could have done much worse.

You are correct. That said, isn't it sad that we take umbrage by saying "We could have done much worse"!

1 minute ago, Guilhermezmc said:

The only way this has any chance of working out is Rodgers at QB.

Btw whats the plan with Zach? Hackett never developed any qbs

Zach's done.  No coaching can fix that level of bad.  Best hope for a draft day trade or stash Zach on practice squad for a year.

Generations of tears . . .  pretty sure the search feature on JN would secure countless threads seeking the the head or at least the summary sh!tcanning of his father. Please for once let history be kind and work in our favor . . . just once . . 

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

This guy couldn't punch it in the endzone against some of the WORST defenses in the league in 2022... AND he had at his disposal--

• Russ Wilson 
  • Javonte Williams
  • Jerry Jeudy
  • Courtland Sutton
  • KJ Hamler
  • Good/steady Oline

GROSS.

He was in his 1st yr as a 1st time HC and as we saw, he was well over his head as a HC...

• Upvote 2

I'm honestly shocked to see the amount of people on here that want Rodgers. Trading a 1st and then some for Aaron Rodgers would make me f*cking sick to my stomach. Praying to the football God that man comes no where near this team. 

But if my previous experience with the football Gods is any indication, we'll be trading for him within the next 6 weeks. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1