Hackett to be hired as OC

I'm a little surprised people are so sour on this hire. It's nothing great but what other option were you hoping for? We need an experienced OC that can risk being canned after 1 year. I think given the way we currently play, he is a good option for our current talent with the upside of maybe getting Rodgers. Either way Zach will not be QB1 so if you miss on Rodgers you can still go for Carr, Jimmy, or even Tannehill

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, batman10023 said:

there are 8 head coaches under 40 years old.  it's never been even remotely like that.

kind of disproves your point a bit.

I don't think its even really arguable that the NFL is full of nepotism. Like, do you think the mullet Belichick is the most qualified person to be on the Patriots sideline? Didn't we have Greggggg Williams drag his son in as linebackers coach and say something to the effect of "he's the most excellent young coach I've ever been around". 

To your point, there was definitely a youth movement at head coach after the Rams success. But idk if Nathaniel Hackett breaks into the league with a different last name. 

4 minutes ago, pointman said:

Breece won't be Breece for a while. 2024?

I've seen people say this, it may be true but I think the bigger hurdle in returning from an ACL is trusting your knee not to buckle when you plant. Luckily for Breece, that is not how he tore his ACL. He was tackled and twisted, my hope is he won't have that mental fear of planing the way someone like Barkley may have had.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If you followed the NFL you should know Javonte played 4 games,  Russell Wilson was missing open WRs, KJ hamler has like 40 career receptions in 3 yearsand the offensive line is average at best. 

And like I pointed out before, the Seahawks offense improved by letting Russell go and replacing him with Geno....

We’ll learn what Carroll really thinks of geno soon b/c they have the 5th pick in the draft.  

Just now, Paradis said:

w/o Rodgers his career as an OC was lackluster as well. 

Basically every angle on Hackett is bad if ARod is not involved. 

Yup, if this isnt about getting Rodgers, its a terrible hire.

That said, nothing they were going to do was going to be overly meaningful, you were not getting anyone good with what could amount to a one and done with no clarity on the QB position, so if this means getting Rodgers for a year or two, its as good as any option that was realistic

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Literally nothing actually points to it yet.

It's entirely 100% fan and media speculation, and a few same-as-usual cryptic attention-whoring comments from Rodgers, same as it was in previous years, will he get traded, will he retire, etc.

There is absolutely nothing firm, at all, that he is coming here.  Or to any of the OTHER 5 cities who ALSO think Rodgers-to-them is like, totally happening, lol.

Nah.

The Packers are actively shopping him and want him out of the building. That is known. More than it ever has been before. For the first time the fan sentiment is turning against him too. For some picks they'd happily move on with Love. 

The Jets are one of like 3-4 realistic suitors and are more desperate than any of them to win now. Peter King has specifically reported that we'd be all over it for their reported asking price of two first rounders. We're a relatively attractive proposition for a QB, with a top 5 defence and Hall/Wilson looking like elite talents and we just signed his boy to coach the offence. 

I'm not one to usually jump on board this things but I'm betting he ends up here. It makes a lot of sense. For Woody, Douglas and Saleh at least. It will backfire though and he'll retire next year, because Jets. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

This is like the Jetsiest move ever. Glad they refuse to move out of their box....NOT

I mean what are they thinking?

Kotite loses 7 in a row, we rush out to hire him

Gase leaves Miami on a losing streak and with reports of him not dealing well with people, we rush out to hire him

Hackett completely fails at offense with Russell Wilson at QB, lets rush out and hire him

NFL is a passing league, but let's double down on run first.

Hope I am wrong but I just see this as a repeat of the exact same cycle, and next year we will be looking for everything new again....and then we will run out and sign a conservative run first DC

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If you followed the NFL you should know Javonte played 4 games,  Russell Wilson was missing open WRs, KJ hamler has like 40 career receptions in 3 yearsand the offensive line is average at best. 

And like I pointed out before, the Seahawks offense improved by letting Russell go and replacing him with Geno....

So the jets big plan is to go out and get the next russsel wilson aka aaron rodgers.

• WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Some of the best coordinators in NFL history failed as Head Coaches. Buddy Ryan,  Josh McDaniel, Todd Haley, Bud Carson, Marchibroda, Gilbride, Coslett etc...

His failure in Denver is of zero relevance to his ability to be an OC. That doesn't mean he will be great but great OCs aren't currently available..... 

There's nothing in his history that speaks to NFL historicallyt great OC either and he's been around including being canned by Marrone in season at Jacksonville.   Talk about zero relevance.

28 minutes ago, Paradis said:

This guy couldn't punch it in the endzone against some of the WORST defenses in the league in 2022... AND he had at his disposal--

• Russ Wilson 
  • Javonte Williams
  • Jerry Jeudy
  • Courtland Sutton
  • KJ Hamler
  • Good/steady Oline

GROSS.

Russell Wilson is awful. The film breakdown on him looks like Zach Wilson's

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

FWIW- I don't think there's some "wink-wink" agreement suggesting Rodgers is definitely coming here because of Hackett (see 2022 Denver Broncos). Hackett was in our plans dating back to last December as a person who they identified who can come in and be a senior buffer to MLF.  QB-centric coach with his kind of experience and player-friendly personality was needed. Mike's version of the "Shanahan offense" more closely resembled his brother Matt's version of it, so don't expect the overall scheme and principles to change much. It also helps that he and Saleh know each other well, and that Matt LaFleur (Saleh's best friend) loves him. Still, you can't ignore the fact that Rodgers is extremely close with Hackett, both as a friend and as a colleague. 

I do think hiring Hackett will make it an easier sell to Rodgers and Garoppolo. There will not be wholesale changes to the scheme, but they will be real changes. They will simplify the offense and add an RPO element to it, which is very QB friendly regardless who that player is.

This feels like a hire that will either be glorious (landing Rodgers) or horrific. We'll see. Klint Kubiak is a name to watch as QB coach or PGC 

Thought the same regarding K. Kubiak.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I've seen people say this, it may be true but I think the bigger hurdle in returning from an ACL is trusting your knee not to buckle when you plant. Luckily for Breece, that is not how he tore his ACL. He was tackled and twisted, my hope is he won't have that mental fear of planing the way someone like Barkley may have had.

Nah. I've torn mine more than once. Its not just a mental thing. It feels "off" for a while and your body naturally protects it causing you to move differently. Even when you decide to mentally "go for it" your body just can't. It takes a lot of time. Someone elite like him, with the best staff around him might be able to do it faster, but still takes time. If he goes off next season for 1200 rushing and another 800 receiving, I'd still expect even more output in 2024. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

14 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

I'm honestly shocked to see the amount of people on here that want Rodgers. Trading a 1st and then some for Aaron Rodgers would make me f*cking sick to my stomach. Praying to the football God that man comes no where near this team. 

But if my previous experience with the football Gods is any indication, we'll be trading for him within the next 6 weeks. 

I would love to know who you want as the starting QB for the Jets in 2023