Hackett to be hired as OC

21 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I’m surprised at how positive some fans are being about this obviously bad decision. 

Feels like the last season for Saleh/ JD. We’ll see who survives after the season.

With decisions like this, it’s hard not to see them both gone. Which is annoying because Douglas is a semi-competent GM by relative Jets GM standards and the Jets can certainly and probably will end up doing worse with the next hire. 

• Upvote 2

I’m opposite opinion as everyone else - don’t want Rodgers, and if Hackett was hired primarily due to pairing him with Rodgers then I’m against the hire. 

I’m floored that fans want us to trade two 1st round picks and take on a $40 million/year contract for Rodgers. There’s just no way I see that working out. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Jacksonville JaguarsEdit

Marrone opted out of his contract with the Bills following the 2014 season, and was then hired by the Jacksonville Jaguars as an offensive line and assistant head coach, bringing Hackett with him once again. In 2016, after Marrone was promoted to interim head coach after the firing of Gus Bradley, Hackett was upgraded from quarterbacks coach to interim offensive coordinator after the Jaguars also fired their previous offensive coordinator, Greg Olson. He was confirmed on that position in January 2017.[4]

Working with quarterback Blake Bortles and running back Leonard Fournette, Hackett coordinated the league's best rushing attack in 2017, leading to Jacksonville winning the AFC South and appearing in the AFC Championship game.[3] However, after the Jaguars failed to repeat their success the following year and started 3–8, Hackett was fired by Marrone on November 26, 2018, after the Jaguars lost to the Buffalo Bills 24–21, a move that surprised him.[5][6]

Green Bay PackersEdit

On January 14, 2019, Hackett was hired by the Green Bay Packers as their offensive coordinator under head coach Matt LaFleur.[7] Hackett, alongside star quarterback Aaron Rodgers, led the Packers to becoming the league's best scoring offense in the 2020 season.[8]

I can’t be mad   If it’s true they interviewed 15 people that means the job isn’t as bad as I thought and that Hackett had what they are looking for    

The Rodgers connection is interesting 

is Marrone available for run game coordinator?

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Saleh’s hiring strategy: “What veteran OC can we hire that won’t present any threat whatsoever to me as HC?”

This hire show the complete idiocy of the Jets habit under Johnson  of hiring a  defensive coordinator as head coach(spare the Gase disaster) .Once the offense sputters, throw the OC into the volcano, again. You would think a former DC might have a clue what works and what doesn't when it comes to offense. Alas, not when they're the HC of the NYJ. They will talk about "toughness" or some other nonsense on the day they get introduced, and then have no clue why the team cannot score points. 

This is a recording. 

Could work if Hackett makes Rodgers more plausible. Might even work with Carr. Never liked his dad, who's offense was always unduly complicated, too wordy and invariably fell back on "Joe Montana loves this guy" rather than any real accomplishments of his own. Recall for all those who complained about Lafleur not shaping his offense and playcalls to the talent on hand, dear old dad tried to make big-armed Vinny Testaverde into a WCO pinpoint short passer, and let Chad Pennington (who was suited to that) languish on the bench for a long time. Simply often felt like Paul Hackett was more interested in running his offense than trying to get the team in the end zone.

Nat Hackett's  Broncos' HC tenure was a complete catastrophe. 

If the idea is somehow this makes Rodgers or Carr more possible, might work.

If the idea is to pretend there's anything remotely worthwhile about Wilson, then expect everyone to be getting fired the first week in January, 2024. 

49 minutes ago, heymangold said:

i've been on record here saying that the options weren't better than MiLF was.  i'll be happier with this if Rodgers comes here next.

Way better than MLF - how can a guy with a ton of experience not be better than someone that is so green and learning on the job? A major part of the job is to improve young players on the roster and it's tough to do when you are over your head trying to learn the OC position and figure out how to call plays too.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JoshAllenSZN said:

I think Hackett stinks. But when you get a chance to hire a coach from the Doug Marrone coaching tree, you've just gotta do it, right?

When he was OC of the Bills -- and granted, that was a long time ago -- we were constantly banging our head against the wall in irritation at his unimaginative, uncreative, outdated play-calling. His main credential seemed to be...that he was the son of a great coach, I guess? I was always furious at his awful run game, in particular. Do you like HB Dive? If so, Hackett is your guy!

To be fair, he has called plays for three top five scoring offenses in his career. He has also called plays for five offenses ranked 18th or worse, including finishes of 31st and 32nd.

Looking beyond the statistical finishes and at his actual playcalling -- because sometimes great QBs succeed in spite of bad coaches (see Gase, Adam) -- I've just never been impressed. Look no further than the Denver Broncos this year. A quarterback who has been successful in this league in the past, a talented (if oft injured) WR corps, some TE talent...and just an absolutely awful offense. If you watched them, you know what I mean. Not very modern, not very forward thinking. Old school west coast principles without much pop.

I'm not coming here just to be a negative Nancy. I'm coming here to warn you that I think Hackett is a bum, and I think he keeps getting work because of nepotism and his friendship with Aaron Rodgers. For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of the Bills' offensive coordinator, either. I think Allen succeeded in spite of him this year. I think he wasted and under-used talented players like Nyheim Hines and James Cook and Dawson Knox, and I'm not optimistic about him improving much going forward. 

Maybe Hackett lures Rodgers to the Jets, and that ends up making it a worthwhile hire. Solely on his own merits, though? Hackett ain't it. Hate on me all you want. I know I'm an enemy fan and no one asked me. I'm just giving my honest opinion. 

This is a possibility - not just directed at you but others - that he did observe and learn new schemes, principles from Matt LaFluer.  And yes he bombed in Denver, as a HC.

Every 1st time NFL HC says after their 1st yr, how he had no idea how many "other" things that he had to do other than coaching...

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Greensleeves said:

Way better than MLF - how can a guy with a ton of experience not be better than someone that is so green and learning on the job? A major part of the job is to improve young players on the roster and it's tough to do when you are over your head trying to learn the OC position and figure out how to call plays too.

Did you watch the Broncos last year?

24 minutes ago, section314 said:

If they go to RPO, that would be for a QB not named Rodgers I would guess. An offense way more suited for a QB currently on the roster . Gee, wonder who that is?

RPO doesn't necessarily mean the QB has to be a runner. It's more of a tool to allow the QB to have an easy pitch-and-catch. 

The OL run blocks. The RB expects the ball. A WR/TE essentially runs the route. If the QB sees the coverage hesitate, they keep the ball and throw. 

A standard play-action pass aims to fool the DEs to buy the QB more time/space to let a play develop downfield. An RPO aims to compromise the second/third level of the defense in order to hit a pre-determined read... if they play coverage the QB hands off; if they play run the QB throws it. 

51 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Overall, got to admit, not that impressed.  

Without Rodgers or an equivalent at QB, I don't see this as a good hire.

Also, has Hackett ever "developed" a QB?  Sure doesn't look like it.  So not great for Z. Wilson...

Yup

57 minutes ago, Warfish said:

His Offensive rankings as O-Co or Head Coach:

2013 - BUF - 2nd in Rushing, 28th in Passing - Overall 19th in Yards, 22nd in Points
2014 - BUF - 25th in Rushing, 18th in Passing - Overall 26th in Yards, 18th in Points
2015 - Unemployed
2016 - JAX - 22nd in Rushing, 20th in Passing - Overall 11th in Yards, 25th in Points
2017 - JAX - 1st in Rushing, 17th in Passing - Overall 6th in Yards, 5th in Points
2018 - JAX - 19th in Rushing, 26th in passing - Overall 27th in Yards, 31st in Points
2019 - GB - 15th in Rushing, 17th in Passing - Overall 18th in Yards, 15th in Points
2020 - GB - 8th in Rushing, 9th in Passing - Overall 5th in Yards, 1st in Points
2021 - GB - 18th in Rushing, 8th in Passing - Overall 10th in Yards, 10th in Points
2022 - DEN - 21st in Rushing, 19th in Passing - Overall 21st in Yards, 32nd in Points

Overall, got to admit, not that impressed.  

One good year in JAX (2017, on the back of Leonard Fornette and Chris Ivory).

Two good years in GB (2020 & 2021, on the back of HOF'er QB Aaron Rodgers).

His overall rankings (especially scoring offense) are mostly in the bottom half on the NFL, not the top, with the exceptions of those good years.

Without Rodgers or an equivalent at QB, I don't see this as a good hire.

Also, has Hackett ever "developed" a QB?  Sure doesn't look like it.  So not great for Z. Wilson...

Can we pick the good years and disregard the bad years?  What are the rules here?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I’m opposite opinion as everyone else - don’t want Rodgers, and if Hackett was hired primarily due to pairing him with Rodgers then I’m against the hire. 

I’m floored that fans want us to trade two 1st round picks and take on a $40 million/year contract for Rodgers. There’s just no way I see that working out. 

I do want Rodgers but agree 100% there's no way we should give up that kind of draft package for a nearly 40-year old QB who's owed something like $100 million.

19 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

With decisions like this, it’s hard not to see them both gone. Which is annoying because Douglas is a semi-competent GM by relative Jets GM standards and the Jets can certainly and probably will end up doing worse with the next hire. 

Everything is being set up for a full reset and it’ll be entirely because Saleh went for a cowardly choice at OC after his first cowardly choice failed.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I find it very hard to believe Joe Douglas would give up two first round picks for Rodgers. If that happens it reeks of Woody stepping in.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

For the haters in the house who say the Jets are always settling for scraps. They got their guys and one of them was highly sought after and chose the Jets

Wow.  I'm guessing that Carter knew that Hackett was coming in as OC and I have a feeling that all involved know who the QB signing will be.  Considering the Hackett news, I'm beginning to think Rodgers.