Nathaniel Hackett - Approve or Disapprove

Nathaniel Hackett - Approve or Disapprove?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve or disapprove of the hiring of Nathaniel Hackett as Jets offensive coordinator?

17 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Aaron rodgers isn’t coming here. That’s a pipe dream and it’s not going to happen. 

Jets will most likely garoppolo. 

Agree with this prediction 

There's no upside in this move for Rodgers to want to join the last place NYJ and face Miami, Buffalo and New England 2x a year 

Just now, ZachWilsonRightArm said:

Why do you say that? 

Everyone assume Rodgers will want to come here now that Hackett is OC. Rodgers is not a FA, and he can't choose where he goes. I seriously doubt JD is going to mortgage the future for a 39 yr old QB who is flaky as all hell and could choose to retire at any point. MLF was fired and Hackett hired so that the Jets could build a perennial winner not to take a last ditch shot with an aging QB that's about to retire. They will build this around a QB who has some good years left , which is why I still feel Carr is the target ,  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Agree with this prediction 

There's no upside in this move for Rodgers to want to join the last place NYJ and face Miami, Buffalo and New England 2x a year 

It’s like going to a hot chicks  birthday party and assume she’ll blow you next after she just blew out her birthday candles. 

• Haha 3

Just now, bitonti said:

The Jets are what they are. My Fandom or yours has no effect on the result 

Go ahead and dream your dreams. You know what you're right im being grumpy 

When this thread is bumped 3 years from now we will see who was more accurate 

Mark my words Mike lefleur is a better football coach than Nathaniel Hackett. 

Honest question what's in it for Aaron Rodgers?

Hes not getting a bigger contract. He's not getting a better offensive line 

What exactly is the appeal, if you're Aaron Rodgers 

I think his girlfriend is a Native New Yorker.  Probably misses a good blintz.  

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Jimmy G was on the 49ers before and after the nick mullens year, btw 

I know everyone brings up Joe Burrow, unfortunately 40 year old Aaron Rodgers is not Joe Burrow

I understand this best case scenario we're all hoping for but they can't get those OL and WR pieces if they trade the farm for the QB. They can't pay for all the players they need when Rodgers is taking up 60-80 mil of the cap in 2025/26

the whole thing is half assed it's like running up credit card bills without any way to pay for them  

When this whole JD thing started we were told there's a right way and a wrong way - in fact we were told there was a steady rebuild needed that's why the Jets had to hit rock bottom and trade away all their assets

now we're in year 5 of JD and it's mortgage everything for 1 year - must be a coincidence that JD's job depends on them being good now rather than later

We're admitting that whole "build it the right way" was bull crap, is that right? 

We've made the round trip from a 7 win team with a couple decent players and no coach and no QB, to a 7 win team with a couple decent players and no coach and no QB.

In the interim, JD gave us three horrid seasons just to get back to where we were.  It was very, very painful.

I'm not firing anyone.  Let them finish the job we were promised.  But if they fail, no more "Building back the right way"  It's too painful.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

The same people who were happy about drafting Zach Wilson are the same people happy about signing Hackett 

994169F2-B1BD-489B-B90A-C24CC5C3F156.thumb.jpeg.740ba66a538127f7045ca8dc4df5113f.jpeg
64D34475-E990-4EFF-A83F-02DDEC7DE148.thumb.jpeg.e53c21e7727710df6e8e5ec17045067f.jpeg

It will take some time but eventually you will all sing a different tune. Just like with zippy.

And the same people who are negative about everything are still negative about everything . 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Biggs said:

As I said bad playoffs in comparison and he won 2 MVP awards before.   He's Aaron Rodgers.  Hackett had about as much impact on Rodgers as Gase did on Payton Manning's career.  Zip.

No, I think he won the two MVPs with Hackett.  Won 12 games and lost to SF and then the next year won their 1st playoff game against the Rams and then lost to TB.  
Not anything to call bad playoffs 

Went into more detail in the other thread on his hiring:  

But ultimately I disapprove. 

It's an uninspired, recycled guy with quite limited professional success as a play-caller or QB-developer to-date.

Unless he gets Aaron Rodgers, in his prime mind you, there is nothing about Hackett that warrants any particular increases in confidence in our Offense for 2023. 

More reaction I've seen seems to be 100% based around it being a "good, as long as we also get Rodgers" belief.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I also believe the rebuild is a fail because of Zach and Becton.  I do think if everything goes right AR gives the Jets a shot for 1 or 2 years.  

Yep on Zach and Becton.  Leo for Ashtyn and whiffing on Saleh didn't help either.

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

And the same people who are negative about everything are still negative about everything . 

And the same people who are blind homers, and think everything the jets do is great are still blind homers.

I’m not the guy that defends everything the jets do. I call things how I see it. Hackett was one of the names floated around here that I wanted no part of. I said it before he was hired. So color me negative if you want. 

Jets have had like 4 decent seasons in the last 50 years. Can u blame anyone for being negative?

• Upvote 1

you know what I think I am either coming around or just rationalizing it, but here is what we know

1. hacket will do west coast and heavy run which should be good if breece hall is back

this was a winning formula for the team, and should be easier with out the lafluer lack of game plans and running

2 we have other back that can go namely bam and maybe robinson

3 running the ball is not bad idea with bad qb

4 i think on paper the hire makes sense if you can get past Denver by explaining that quick passing game is not what russle is good at and why they faile

Also recognizing that we might not be good at it iether but that is what shoudl give us a chance to be good.

5 overall there is a plan and we have a shot of making it work.

6 maybe hacket is not some great HC and maybe he not some great OC but he coudl very well be a decent one and honestly the way the team is build that is all we really need, decent. If he delivers decent and we can score 21 points a game we woudl have won 3 more games last  year.

This hire I can see working out, so it at least is possible. HC needs to imporve but this could be a good move oeverall.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

The same people who were happy about drafting Zach Wilson are the same people happy about signing Hackett 

994169F2-B1BD-489B-B90A-C24CC5C3F156.thumb.jpeg.740ba66a538127f7045ca8dc4df5113f.jpeg
64D34475-E990-4EFF-A83F-02DDEC7DE148.thumb.jpeg.e53c21e7727710df6e8e5ec17045067f.jpeg

It will take some time but eventually you will all sing a different tune. Just like with zippy.

Wow, I'm surprised at that poll.  I think it's because it worded incorrectly.  

"Do you approve or disagree with drafting Zach?" would be a better measure of the sentiment.  I remember most being against Zach but excited to have a new toy to watch instead of Sam.

32 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The Jets are what they are. My Fandom or yours has no effect on the result 

Go ahead and dream your dreams. You know what you're right im being grumpy 

When this thread is bumped 3 years from now we will see who was more accurate 

Mark my words Mike lefleur is a better football coach than Nathaniel Hackett. 

Honest question what's in it for Aaron Rodgers?

Hes not getting a bigger contract. He's not getting a better offensive line 

What exactly is the appeal, if you're Aaron Rodgers 

It's all guesswork at this stage but 1) he may feel the Jets have a better roster right now and a better chance of winning and 2) perhaps he has career ambitions beyond football which being in NY fits better than in GB...

If it lands us Rodgers, it will be worth all the laughs from fans of other teams right now.

if we get stuck with Garoppolo, Minshew, Brissett, etc. in a competition with Zach?  Well then, wheewwwwwww boyyyyyy, are we going to be bad, and I will be laughing my ass off on game days.  At least we’ll probably be a virtual lock at a top 5 pick in this case.

I respect the gamble that Douglas and Saleh are taking, but they will reap every bit what they sowed if they don’t get the big fish.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If it lands us Rodgers, it will be worth all the laughs from fans of other teams right now.

if we get stuck with Garoppolo, Minshew, Brissett, etc. in a competition with Zach?  Well then, wheewwwwwww boyyyyyy, are we going to be bad, and I will be laughing my ass off on game days.  At least we’ll probably be a virtual lock at a top 5 pick in this case.

I respect the gamble that Douglas and Saleh are taking, but they will reap every bit what they sowed if they don’t get the big fish.

So what you're saying is; we wind up with either Rodgers or Drake Maye/Caleb Williams.

I'm down. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Jimmy G was on the 49ers before and after the nick mullens year, btw 

I know everyone brings up Joe Burrow, unfortunately 40 year old Aaron Rodgers is not Joe Burrow

I understand this best case scenario we're all hoping for but they can't get those OL and WR pieces if they trade the farm for the QB. They can't pay for all the players they need when Rodgers is taking up 60-80 mil of the cap in 2025/26

the whole thing is half assed it's like running up credit card bills without any way to pay for them  

When this whole JD thing started we were told there's a right way and a wrong way - in fact we were told there was a steady rebuild needed that's why the Jets had to hit rock bottom and trade away all their assets

now we're in year 5 of JD and it's mortgage everything for 1 year - must be a coincidence that JD's job depends on them being good now rather than later

We're admitting that whole "build it the right way" was bull crap, is that right? 

Nope. They are being built the right way.  The impatience of the owner and the fans is derailing the rebuild and forcing JD to put all his eggs in the basket of a declining 39 year old overpaid QB in the hope that he has one more year in him. And if that doesn't work, we are back to 2020 again.  The steady rebuild is working. This team is so much better than the 2019 Jets it's not even close.. In fact, this is the best Jets team since 2010.  The only open issue - and it's a big one - is to find a QB.  I'd much rather save the draft capital and the money and go for a Carr or a Garappolo than to bank on a Rodgers revival.  If Carr/Garappolo doesn't pan out, go with White another year and make a play for next year's version of Carr.  

The plan was to build a team that would compete for a SB for many years, not to take one massive gamble on a fading star for one glorious season. If that season falls short, then what?  It's not because the rebuild is wrong. It's because there is no patience to see it through.  The odds on winning a SB if the Jets make the playoffs 4-5 years are much better than one season with Rodgers.  I don't like this one bit.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

There is nothing about Hackett or the new OLC that is exciting. We can make believe there is, though, if that’s what people here need to feel better.

What we’re seeing is Saleh in scramble mode to save his job, by replacing his OCS and we’re about to find out whether JD is actually going to stick to a long term plan and rebuild this team the way he planned, or if he’s going to push all in on Rodgers thinking his is on the line also.

There’s nothing about any of this that feels good, or part of a process. It feels like we’ve entered the throwing darts phase.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Nope. They are being built the right way.  The impatience of the owner and the fans is derailing the rebuild and forcing JD to put all his eggs in the basket of a declining 39 year old overpaid QB in the hope that he has one more year in him. And if that doesn't work, we are back to 2020 again.  The steady rebuild is working. This team is so much better than the 2019 Jets it's not even close.. In fact, this is the best Jets team since 2010.  The only open issue - and it's a big one - is to find a QB.  I'd much rather save the draft capital and the money and go for a Carr or a Garappolo than to bank on a Rodgers revival.  If Carr/Garappolo doesn't pan out, go with White another year and make a play for next year's version of Carr.  

The plan was to build a team that would compete for a SB for many years, not to take one massive gamble on a fading star for one glorious season. If that season falls short, then what?  It's not because the rebuild is wrong. It's because there is no patience to see it through.  The odds on winning a SB if the Jets make the playoffs 4-5 years are much better than one season with Rodgers.  I don't like this one bit.

I just saw this, and I agree with you completely. 
The only small quibble I have is I’m having second thoughts on Carr (although I could get behind the move) but I would hate to see Garapollo here. I’d rather go cheaper with Mayfield or Minshew and look to find their successor in the draft eventually.

I for one was at least looking for them to interview Greg Olsen

I mean those who disapprove who are you so upset we missed out on? The TE coach from the Pats? Just not sure what the other alternatives were. At least Hackett is a veteran guy and not some whiz kid learning on the job 

Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

8 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean those who disapprove who are you so upset we missed out on? The TE coach from the Pats? Just not sure what the other alternatives were. At least Hackett is a veteran guy and not some whiz kid learning on the job 

It’s just a blah move. Saleh is just admitting his offensive CS was a disaster and he’s putting lipstick on the pig here. 

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

It’s just a blah move. Saleh is just admitting his offensive CS was a disaster and he’s putting lipstick on the pig here. 

I think any move would’ve been a “blah” move. There’s no great names out there available. People mentioned Frank Reich but literally just got a HC position 

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

I think any move would’ve been a “blah” move. There’s no great names out there available. People mentioned Frank Reich but literally just got a HC position 

Hackett is the best they were going to do without signing a QB first, and they weren’t getting the QB without an OC in place. Hackett is set for life. He risks nothing by taking this sh*t job, but the young up-and-comers that people wanted? No way they risk their careers for Zach Wilson and <veteran QB to be named later>. They’d get John Morton’d here.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Imo two years of Rodgers is delaying the inevitable. I’d sit through another shi**y season and gamble on the next QB at the top of the draft in ‘24.

I know it’s the same old same old, but if we got A rod after two years and he retires, we’ll be worse than we are now. The young guys will be looking to get paid and we’d most likely be picking in the 20’s looking for a new QB anyway.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I see guys getting all pumped because they think this means we’re getting Rodgers, I see it as a HC admitting half his CS sucked.