Nathaniel Hackett - Approve or Disapprove

Nathaniel Hackett - Approve or Disapprove?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve or disapprove of the hiring of Nathaniel Hackett as Jets offensive coordinator?

Compared to the other candidates the Jets were considering this was top choice. none of the other candidates called a play except Brady who was a disaster in Carolina. Hackett is Norv Turner 2.0 good OC terrible coach like the hire if they don't get Rogers think it helps zach develop Mike White if healthy will have the same offense and they have someone with experience somthing ML didn't have.

• Upvote 1

Ummmm, he was never really an OC before Denver. Saleh's buddy MaLF calls the plays in GB. When he finally had a chance to run the offense in Denver with a QB with a track record of success with a better O line and skill players than Jets had, they were worse than terrible. I watched more than my share of Bronco's games because I have some good friends who live in Denver. I was at the game this year. Hackett was hated far more than even Adam Gase was here. He was clueless and it showed during the games and at his press conferences. The Denver Offense approved by leaps and bounds immediately after Hackett was fired.  IMO, this hiring is an unmitigated disaster.

• Upvote 1

I've just remembered the time that the Jets traded for Boomer Esiason, because Reggie White mentioned that the Jets would be a more attractive destination with a veteran QB like Boomer.

Then White signed with the Packers.

I really hope that this isn't another case of acquiring a guy to entice a guy, only for that guy to fail to arrive. 

6 minutes ago, nyjets1969 said:

Compared to the other candidates the Jets were considering this was top choice. none of the other candidates called a play except Brady who was a disaster in Carolina. Hackett is Norv Turner 2.0 good OC terrible coach like the hire if they don't get Rogers think it helps zach develop Mike White if healthy will have the same offense and they have someone with experience somthing ML didn't have.

Hackett was never a play caller until Denver and he was the worst play caller in the NFL by a wide margin.

10 minutes ago, JiFields said:

I approved.  OC w/ HC experience is what I wanted and he's engineered some solid offenses in his past.  Some guys are just better fit as coordinators.  Hoping that's the case.

When? That was MaLF's offense in GB. And he was a freaking disaster of play caller on a Denver team with a proven veteran QB and better players all around than are on the Jets O.

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Or he is the 2nd coming of russel wilson which is more likely.   He showed the same degradation to his game last yer with the packers as wilson did in his last year with the seahawks.

Oh the narrative will be that the jets are instant superbowl contenders next year if they get rodgers by the national media but the natmedia are wrong most of the time.

I think the chances are much better that the Jets have a dick pic scandal than compete for a SB. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dax89 said:

I'm just afraid we're witnessing Woody taking the reigns of the decision making like we saw in 2015.  That put us back several years and will likely happen again.   

So you think Woody sat thru 15 OC interviews and told JD and Saleh to hire Hackett?  

59 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Only makes sense if a deal for Rodgers is lined up. I suspect it is.

I do NOT see how this will work.  So, we get Hackett and Rodgers follows.  How will that work?  Where do we even BEGIN to afford what Rodgers will cost this year?  And what about what it will cost to get him?  My guess....AT LEAST two first rounders.  Our first rounder this year should be used to help shore up one tackle position.  So, since we won't have that, or any money to bring someone in, do we HOPE Duane Brown will play another year?  Do we HOPE Becton recovers and plays a whole season?  Who then plays RT?  Who plays guard?  

And where will the money come to resign a bunch of our own pending F/A, let alone fill holes?

No.....this Aaron Rodgers is a pipe dream.  At least, I hope it is, because I see it ruining all the good work that has been done these past two years of solid drafting.  

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, Sonny Werblin said:

When? That was MaLF's offense in GB. And he was a freaking disaster of play caller on a Denver team with a proven veteran QB and better players all around than are on the Jets O.

He's had a few top 10 offenses, I guess they dont count because of some factor but they happened when he held the title of OC

4 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

53 posters approve!!!! Did any of you even watch what happened in Denver? Are you aware that Denver was the first time he called plays and ran an O because MaLF runs the O in GB?

Norv Turner was an awful HC, great OC.  Wade Phillips in the opposite fashion.  I like the hire, I'm sorry this upsets you.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, JiFields said:

I approved.  OC w/ HC experience is what I wanted and he's engineered some solid offenses in his past.  Some guys are just better fit as coordinators.  Hoping that's the case.

Exactly my thoughts on this as well.  I think this is probably as good as we could do considering Saleh is still the HC and not an entirely new staff.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JiFields said:

He's had a few top 10 offenses, I guess they dont count because of some factor but they happened when he held the title of OC

I mean... he did call plays for the Jags when they went to the AFCCG - the argument could be made that his ULTRA conservative playcalling up 10 vs the Pats cost them a chance at the SB.

Not a fan. He was hamstrung with horrible QB play in Buffalo and Jacksonville but if this was the hire and Rodgers isn't coming along for the ride, just keep MLF

8 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I do NOT see how this will work.  So, we get Hackett and Rodgers follows.  How will that work?  Where do we even BEGIN to afford what Rodgers will cost this year?  And what about what it will cost to get him?  My guess....AT LEAST two first rounders.  Our first rounder this year should be used to help shore up one tackle position.  So, since we won't have that, or any money to bring someone in, do we HOPE Duane Brown will play another year?  Do we HOPE Becton recovers and plays a whole season?  Who then plays RT?  Who plays guard?  

And where will the money come to resign a bunch of our own pending F/A, let alone fill holes?

No.....this Aaron Rodgers is a pipe dream.  At least, I hope it is, because I see it ruining all the good work that has been done these past two years of solid drafting.  

We have a ton of cap space in 2024 and we can save like $60m this year with 5/6 cuts. The price of the contract is not an issue. We can sign Rodgers and a lot of free agents on top of that with some restructuring.  

The draft picks are going to be costly but Douglas and Saleh aren't in a position to care. They'll not get to use them if they don't win soon. 

It's an all-in desperate move from a staff who are on the hot seat. It's way more realistic that you make out. 

58 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

My whole thought on this situation was 'If you are going to fire LaFleur then you have to replace him with someone much better otherwise don't bother and stick with a young coach.  This is one of the guys in the not better category.  Terrible hire.

We’re on the same page. The only thing that can turn this into a good hire before the season starts is if it drives Aaron to us.

1 hour ago, ganggreen305 said:

He is better OC than coach.  Its all up to if we get Rodgers or not.

The problem is that however much young talent the Jets have paying Rodgers 50M salary will kill our salary cap and Jets will not be able to sign any GOOD FA offensive linemen or their own for that matter. This was a Woody Johnson move and I think we all know that. If it doesn't work out the Jets will have no GM, HC or workable QB as Rodgers will retire when Hackett leaves. Back to another 10 year rebuilding process. It will never end as long as the Johnson's are owners.

The more specific question I'm curious to know the answer to among Jets fans is this:

If Aaron Rodgers doesn't end up coming to the Jets, are you happy with the Hackett hire?

In other words, are the "approve" votes only conditional on Aaron Rodgers being part of the deal? How many of those folks are still cool with the Hackett addition if Rodgers doesn't come along?

• Upvote 1