Nathaniel Hackett - Approve or Disapprove

Nathaniel Hackett - Approve or Disapprove?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve or disapprove of the hiring of Nathaniel Hackett as Jets offensive coordinator?

6 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

He got fired mid season after the Bortles year, and Buffalos offenses in 2013-14 were not good lol

After the Jags' playoff run last year, Hackett was hailed by some as a coordinator who could coach around Bortles' flaws and milk the most out of the QB. With Leonard Fournette rarely healthy for long stretches, a rag-tag group of receivers, and a flawed, injured offensive line, however, Hackett becomes the scapegoat in Jacksonville after a team with Super Bowl aspirations sits staring at a top-10 pick.

• Haha 1

My preference was Reich but he obviously got the HC job so Hackett, being a successful OC with tons of experience, was our next best option, in my opinion. I really don’t care what he did as a HC. I like it with Rodgers or without Rodgers. He is respected and will have some allure with other possible QB candidates. Hoping for Rodgers though. 

• Upvote 2

I like the QB coaching experience and reputation as a relationship builder. The results are mixed as an OC, some great some terrible. Experienced guys that are available and not a lateral move have baggage. I’m fine with it and to be honest there wasn’t a guy I was invested in either 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Hackett is a disaster of a hire.  His offense has never sniffed the top 10 without Aaron rodgers and he single handedly ruined russel Wilson. This is the type of candidate you get with a lame duck head coach and gm. Broncos had a more effective offense with Vic fangio teddy bridgewater.

I’m not going to get to worked up over it tho. Woody will clean house next year when we miss the playoffs again.

So Hackett ruined Wilson?  LOL

While he had nothing to do with Rodgers having two of his best seasons and winning back to back MVPs.

Interesting

23 minutes ago, Larz said:

I like the QB coaching experience and reputation as a relationship builder. The results are mixed as an OC, some great some terrible. Experienced guys that are available and not a lateral move have baggage. I’m fine with it and to be honest there wasn’t a guy I was invested in either 

Same here.  Not sure if he was my first pick but totally understand it, especially if you wanted to hire someone experienced.  
Let’s face it, whoever was hired, every single candidate, has questions about their abilities or lack of experience 

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Not true.  Majority here has always done better than Jets FO. 

That’s what fans who get to tell everyone who they wanted after the fact say.  
The last year has seen 180* spins on Saleh, Ulbrich & MLF

4 pages here, 14 on the Hackett hired thread and of all those complaining, there isn’t one post telling us who the better hire would have been.  
28 pages.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jets Things said:

I hope he doesn't mind handing it off to #20. 

That’s why I think they hire checks a lot of superficial boxes in the hierarchy.

Vet QB - Experienced OC with win now team.

Saleh - Clearly wants a run first attack, conservative style with explosive plays.

Woody - “Links” Rodgers to Jets

Saleh and JD are betting their jobs on an experienced OC, an increased chance of hiring a veteran QB and a better, more physical run game.  It seems like a good plan.   None of the veteran QBs are Mahomes, Allen or even Burrow-they will need a strong run game.  

I don't think this plan involves rehabbing Zach Wilson as priority 1.  Let's see who else gets hired.

If the Jets can get a veteran QB and it all works (better than 50/50), maybe the current staff stays a bit longer and gets extended so long as the veteran QB is doing well.  When it all falls apart, then the Jets reboot at least with a coaching staff lead by an offensive HC.  

2 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

No. I think Woody thinks he is appeasing the fans with Aaron Rodgers. I think Rodgers is still a top NFL QB but his price tag is way too high. We need our draft picks to shore up the offensive line and safety positions. Jets have several F/A's that we need to sign, not to mention Quinnen Williams and Quincy Williams. Jets have a long list of unconditional F/A's and with Rodgers bloated salary how are we gonna resign them

Fair.  IMO draft compensation to acquire Rodgers won't be as bad as people think (largely because of the bloated salary).  And to your second point, it would require JD to mortgage the future a bit (i.e. restructure people, defer compensation to future years, etc.) But, the Rams and Tampa won the last 2 Super Bowls going this route so it's not unheard of.  He has to decide if he has enough of a team built around a guy like Rodgers to go all in for a 2-3 year run before the bills come due for guys like AVT, Sauce, Breece Hall, JJ, Garrett Wilson, etc .  The defense is probably good enough to win a title.   The offense with Rodgers???

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

No. I think Woody thinks he is appeasing the fans with Aaron Rodgers. I think Rodgers is still a top NFL QB but his price tag is way too high. We need our draft picks to shore up the offensive line and safety positions. Jets have several F/A's that we need to sign, not to mention Quinnen Williams and Quincy Williams. Jets have a long list of unconditional F/A's and with Rodgers bloated salary how are we gonna resign them

Talk is a 2nd and then a conditional 1st the following year. 
For two years of Rodgers?  I do it now. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

While he had nothing to do with Rodgers having two of his best seasons and winning back to back MVPs.

Interesting

If you look at Rodgers career hard to give Hackett Kudos for any of Rodgers accomplishments.   I can't see any cause and effect based on two great years among a dozen when he wasn't there.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Interesting

In his only season with Hackett Wilson’s interceptions doubled from 6 to 11. and his qb rating dropped 18 points for a career worst 84.4.

you don’t think that was from poor coaching? Hackett didn’t even last a whole season.

rodgers was always a top 5 qb. Hackett didn’t even call plays in Green Bay. So no he doesn’t get any credit. 

before he was in Green Bay this was his resume….

“With EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton at quarterback in Buffalo in 2013-14, Hackett's offenses ranked 25th and 26th in offensive DVOA. Hackett followed coach Doug Marrone to Jacksonville, and while the Jaguars advanced to the postseason, it wasn't because of their offense; Blake Bortles & Co. ranked 27th, 15th and then 30th before Hackett was fired during the 2018 campaign.” 

Everywhere he goes he has a bottom ranked offense. The best he’s done without a hall of fame qb is 15th. so yea. In my opinion Hackett sucks.

29 minutes ago, Biggs said:

If you look at Rodgers career hard to give Hackett Kudos for any of Rodgers accomplishments.   I can't see any cause and effect based on two great years among a dozen when he wasn't there.

He had his two best seasons, won back to back MVP awards with Hackett

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

Fair.  IMO draft compensation to acquire Rodgers won't be as bad as people think (largely because of the bloated salary).  And to your second point, it would require JD to mortgage the future a bit (i.e. restructure people, defer compensation to future years, etc.) But, the Rams and Tampa won the last 2 Super Bowls going this route so it's not unheard of.   

the Jets haven't made the playoffs in 12 years

I'm sorry but people who think they are 1 QB away from a SB victory are flat out delusional

they are 1 qb away from being a winning team? Sure. 1 qb away from making the playoffs? ok, why not.

To be a sb team you have to make the playoffs every year like Buffalo and SF and even then sometimes fall short. Baltimore is one or two players away. The Jets are still building their program. They are a last place team and the worst playoff drought in major sport, nothing about that says they are 1 qb away from a SB victory 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

In his only season with Hackett Wilson’s interceptions doubled from 6 to 11. and his qb rating dropped 18 points for a career worst 84.4.

you don’t think that was from poor coaching? Hackett didn’t even last a whole season.

rodgers was always a top 5 qb. Hackett didn’t even call plays in Green Bay. So no he doesn’t get any credit. 

before he was in Green Bay this was his resume….

“With EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton at quarterback in Buffalo in 2013-14, Hackett's offenses ranked 25th and 26th in offensive DVOA. Hackett followed coach Doug Marrone to Jacksonville, and while the Jaguars advanced to the postseason, it wasn't because of their offense; Blake Bortles & Co. ranked 27th, 15th and then 30th before Hackett was fired during the 2018 campaign.” 

Everywhere he goes he has a bottom ranked offense. The best he’s done without a hall of fame qb is 15th. so yea. In my opinion Hackett sucks.

Wilson was fading fast in Seattle.  Geno was better in Seattle last season compared to Wilson’s last season there.  
Marron is a ground and pound guy.  Bortles was hardly the guy you want to go pass first

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I'm sorry but people who think they are 1 QB away from a SB victory are flat out delusional

they are 1 qb away from being a winning team? Sure. 1 qb away from making the playoffs? ok, why not.

To be a sb team you have to make the playoffs every year like Buffalo and SF and even then sometimes fall short. Baltimore is one or two players away. The Jets are still building their program. They are a last place team and the worst playoff drought in major sport, nothing about that says they are 1 qb away from a SB victory 

Meh. If Rodgers can play at a high level than SB can absolutely be a realistic goal. 

Bengals didn't make the playoffs for 6 years, placing 3rd and 4th and then made the Superbowl. The Eagles made it with their back up QB. Bucs went 12 years without playoffs and then got Brady and win a SB. 

There's no rhyme or reason to these things. 

Do you approve or disapprove of Nathaniel Hackett as Jets offensive coordinator?

This is just the first act of the play.

I will just enjoy an intermission cocktail and quietly await the next act before commenting further.

As advertised though … it is very interesting so far

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wilson was fading fast in Seattle.  Geno was better in Seattle last season compared to Wilson’s last season there.  
Marron is a ground and pound guy.  Bortles was hardly the guy you want to go pass first

3A383589-F6CE-459A-B2A6-FF0CB910DEEC.thumb.jpeg.f507d1f7ab936d0e09a0f43e61062a58.jpeg

not sure I agree with fading fast. But either way. Hacketts offense without Aaron rodgers have ranked 25th, 26th, 27th, 15th 30th. And 28th. 

if your happy with the hire that’s fine. He was one of the coaches I wanted no part of. 

10 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

There's no rhyme or reason to these things. 

along those lines, if Rodgers is the 1 player that can get the Jets to the SB why would GB even trade him? 

the most ridiculous part of this is the part where Rodgers supposedly mentors Wilson. No starter ever mentors their backup and Zach is going to make Aaron's life hell, remember? 

6 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Didn't vote because I honestly have no idea.  I can find the positives with any coaching hire.  I'll let it play out though.  If it helps get us Rodgers I'm happy with it(as long as the trade price is reasonable)

My point.  I can find positives and negatives for all.  

12 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

3A383589-F6CE-459A-B2A6-FF0CB910DEEC.thumb.jpeg.f507d1f7ab936d0e09a0f43e61062a58.jpeg

not sure I agree with fading fast. But either way. Hacketts offense without Aaron rodgers have ranked 25th, 26th, 27th, 15th 30th. And 28th. 

if your happy with the hire that’s fine. He was one of the coaches I wanted no part of. 

Losing 1,100 yards and 15 TDs.  Fading down the stretch to finish 7-10 and miss the playoffs, yeah

Geno was better 

22 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Agree to disagree.  The 49ers went from 4-12 and Nick Mullins to 13-3 and Super Bowl the next year with Jimmy G.  Bengals 4-11 with rookie Burrow to a Super Bowl the following year with sophomore Burrow.  You get the right QB in here and want to go for broke (i.e. go into future cap hell) you have a defense good enough to get to a Super Bowl now and are maybe 2-3 pieces away on offense (OL and WR) assuming everyone comes back healthy.