In Addition to Hackett, Jets Land new O-Line Coach

JetNation

Joe Douglas

Working quickly to fill out the vacancies on their coaching staff, the Jets have hired offensive line coach Keith Carter.

We've hired Keith Carter as our offensive line coach and run game coordinator.

? https://t.co/4yQm80cQkJ pic.twitter.com/0uECsZPKmB

— New York Jets (@nyjets) January 26, 2023

Formerly of the Tennessee Titans, Carter will come in as the team’s now offensive line coach and run game coordinator.  The spot on the Jets staff opened up after John Benton was let go after the season.

The #Jets announce they have hired Kevin Carter as their OL coach & run game coordinator.

This cannot be overlooked.

Carter had four teams in on him. He picked the Jets.

— Connor Hughes (@Connor_J_Hughes) January 26, 2023

According to Connor Hughes of SNY, Carter had four teams showing interest in his services and he settled on the Jets, where Robert Saleh made him an early priority.

The post In Addition to Hackett, Jets Land new O-Line Coach appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, JetNation said:

Working quickly to fill out the vacancies on their coaching staff, the Jets have hired offensive line coach Keith Carter.

We've hired Keith Carter as our offensive line coach and run game coordinator.

? https://t.co/4yQm80cQkJ pic.twitter.com/0uECsZPKmB

— New York Jets (@nyjets) January 26, 2023

Formerly of the Tennessee Titans, Carter will come in as the team’s now offensive line coach and run game coordinator.  The spot on the Jets staff opened up after John Benton was let go after the season.

The #Jets announce they have hired Kevin Carter as their OL coach & run game coordinator.

This cannot be overlooked.

Carter had four teams in on him. He picked the Jets.

— Connor Hughes (@Connor_J_Hughes) January 26, 2023

So Carter is known for being a bit of a hard ass/dictator type.  He is famously good for coaching up run blocking (leading to one of the best units in football), but the pass defense was worse every year under his guise (which contributed to his firing).

Not really the guy you want if you get A Rogers, but more the type of guy you get if you want the O to run through Breece.

So its just strange overall...  This feels more like a JD hire than the coach.

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

He should be be signed as an assistant, tomorrow.  

If he works under Carter for 2 years, he will get a job as an OL coach.  

I would love it. But this is Woody's Jets. We don't take care of our own. I bet they even charge Mangold for his cannolis at the Jets facilities cafeteria. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hael said:

So Carter is known for being a bit of a hard ass/dictator type.  He is famously good for coaching up run blocking (leading to one of the best units in football), but the pass defense was worse every year under his guise (which contributed to his firing).

Not really the guy you want if you get A Rogers, but more the type of guy you get if you want the O to run through Breece.

Ill disregard the "JD hire over Saleh hire" as there is zero chance any of us know that in any way whatsoever.

Anyway, im curious about the pass-blocking decline/struggles and wonder how much of that is tied to the OL coach or having an older QB in tannenhill who isnt very mobile.  I get that the OL coach and OC will both be responsible for a run blocking scheme (inside zone, outside zone, gap, power etc) but what is a "pass blocking scheme" - maybe it is a way to organize pass sets or how to pass off stunts but to me im not sure how much of that falls on the OL coach, 

As for his demeanor and philosophy, this is a pretty good quote from a respected veteran and something that I really hope Carter learns from.  We probably need more contact here but at the same time  you dont want to wear out guys in practice. 

Tennessee Titans tackle Taylor Lewan has never been one to sugarcoat a situation.

So when the 31-year-old tackle received a text informing him that the Titans had fired offensive line coach Keith Carter while he was recording his Bussin’ with the Boys podcast this week, his in-the-moment response to the news was nothing short of candid.

“Keith and I have had a very up-and-down relationship, and I think it’s ended at a much higher point,” Lewan said. “Like when Keith first got there, the way he came in and the way he was trying to act towards everybody, like very disrespectful, very authoritative, but in a very like dictatorship-type of way. Keith grew every single year, and he did [have] impossible standards. … Sometimes you’d just want a pat on the back and you’d never really get that.”

Lewan admitted Carter had the deck stacked against him a bit this season, losing several offensive lineman at various points during the year. Lewan himself suffered a season-ending ACL injury in Week 2, center Ben Jones was sidelined five games due to a concussion, Nate Davis missed five games because of an ankle injury, and rookie Nick Petit-Frere missed Week 17 with an ankle injury.

But Lewan also seemed to insinuate that some of those injuries may have been self-inflicted due to the taxing nature of Carter’s vigorous practices.

“I just wish he focused a little bit more on taking care of the older players,” Lewan said. “I think Ben got a little more of that toward the end, and I kind of did this year. But those practices are hard and they wear on your body and they wear your tires out really fast, and [Carter] could see it toward the end of the season sometimes.”

2 hours ago, Hael said:

Trying to figure out if you meant pass offense ? Why would I care about the pass defense , when speaking about an OL coach ?

3 hours ago, Hael said:

i disagree about him not being the coach for rodgers.  rodgers isn't a statue like tannehill so the oline won't have hold their blocks so long.  and really, the current oline was giving the qbs enough time.  they just weren't run blocking very well.

3 hours ago, varjet said:

He should be be signed as an assistant, tomorrow.  

If he works under Carter for 2 years, he will get a job as an OL coach.  

Yes, he was asked by some and he said he did not have Oline coaching exp. So, like everyone work your way up. Carter is the Oline coach an run game coordinator, and possibly Mangold could come in as an assistant Oline coach.

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Ill disregard the "JD hire over Saleh hire" as there is zero chance any of us know that in any way whatsoever.

Anyway, im curious about the pass-blocking decline/struggles and wonder how much of that is tied to the OL coach or having an older QB in tannenhill who isnt very mobile.  I get that the OL coach and OC will both be responsible for a run blocking scheme (inside zone, outside zone, gap, power etc) but what is a "pass blocking scheme" - maybe it is a way to organize pass sets or how to pass off stunts but to me im not sure how much of that falls on the OL coach, 

As for his demeanor and philosophy, this is a pretty good quote from a respected veteran and something that I really hope Carter learns from.  We probably need more contact here but at the same time  you dont want to wear out guys in practice. 

Tennessee Titans tackle Taylor Lewan has never been one to sugarcoat a situation.

So when the 31-year-old tackle received a text informing him that the Titans had fired offensive line coach Keith Carter while he was recording his Bussin’ with the Boys podcast this week, his in-the-moment response to the news was nothing short of candid.

“Keith and I have had a very up-and-down relationship, and I think it’s ended at a much higher point,” Lewan said. “Like when Keith first got there, the way he came in and the way he was trying to act towards everybody, like very disrespectful, very authoritative, but in a very like dictatorship-type of way. Keith grew every single year, and he did [have] impossible standards. … Sometimes you’d just want a pat on the back and you’d never really get that.”

Lewan admitted Carter had the deck stacked against him a bit this season, losing several offensive lineman at various points during the year. Lewan himself suffered a season-ending ACL injury in Week 2, center Ben Jones was sidelined five games due to a concussion, Nate Davis missed five games because of an ankle injury, and rookie Nick Petit-Frere missed Week 17 with an ankle injury.

But Lewan also seemed to insinuate that some of those injuries may have been self-inflicted due to the taxing nature of Carter’s vigorous practices.

“I just wish he focused a little bit more on taking care of the older players,” Lewan said. “I think Ben got a little more of that toward the end, and I kind of did this year. But those practices are hard and they wear on your body and they wear your tires out really fast, and [Carter] could see it toward the end of the season sometimes.”

Yea, don’t believe the spin that he was being targeted by 4 teams and chose the Jets. It all gets pushed out from the Jets themselves to make it sound good. 

it all comes down to the players but as far as coaches go both Hackett and Carter are uninspiring. I would normally not care but just irritated for being one of those teams that’s hiring re-tread coaches. That sh*t is so weak. I like Saleh but he’s in desperation mode now and that never works out 

6 hours ago, BCJet said:

If Carter was a JD inspired hire, maybe this is a nudge on JD's part of getting Saleh's training camp aka Sandals Resorts to up the tempo. 

Saleh keeps surrounding himself with his friends from previous stops.

Hackett and now Carter.

Carter has connections to some of the Jets’ top coaches, including head coach Robert Saleh. From 2012 to 2013, Carter was the Seattle Seahawks’ offensive quality control coach. Saleh was Seattle’s defensive quality control coach over that same period.

From 2015 to 2017, Carter worked for the Atlanta Falcons, spending the first two seasons as an assistant offensive line coach and the third as Atlanta’s running backs coach. Jets defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich was the Falcons’ linebackers coach over those three seasons.

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Football Outsiders O-Line Rankings for Titans during his tenure:

year run blocking pass blocking
2018 17 29
2019 5 32
2020 10 11
2021 1 26
2022 8 29

for reference the Jets this year were 24th in run blocking and 17th in pass blocking.

Hope Aaron Rodgers doesn’t see this ?

8 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Football Outsiders O-Line Rankings for Titans during his tenure:

year run blocking pass blocking
2018 17 29
2019 5 32
2020 10 11
2021 1 26
2022 8 29

for reference the Jets this year were 24th in run blocking and 17th in pass blocking.

pass blocking rankings are abysmal but the run blocking ...

he also got way fewer carriers those 2 years. YPC did go up though.

The former Titans coach will take over the Jets’ offensive line coach and run-game coordinator roles, the latter of which is a new one for Carter.

The 40-year-old has mostly worked with the offensive line and tight ends during his coaching career, but he was the running backs coach with the Atlanta Falcons in 2017.

After finishing top 10 in sacks allowed in Carter’s first two seasons, including a 2019 campaign that saw the group upfront surrender the third-most with 56, the Titans’ offensive line rebounded nicely in 2020, giving up 25, tied for the sixth-fewest in the league.

Unfortunately for Carter and the Titans, that was one of the last bright spots of his tenure as the offensive line coach in Nashville.

Tennessee would go on to give up the seventh-most sacks in 2021 (47) and then the Titans were tied for the fifth-most sacks allowed in 2022 (49).

While none of that is a good look for Carter, it is important to note that the Titans have been unbelievably banged-up upfront during that span, and former GM Jon Robinson didn’t do a good job bringing in enough talent.

Making matters worse, the team completely whiffed on Isaiah Wilson and is on the cusp of striking out with Dillon Radunz, a pair of early-round picks from the 2020 and 2021 NFL drafts, respectively.

Carter certainly wasn’t innocent in the overall struggles, though, and there was more than one occasion he wasn’t painted in a positive light. You can check out those two stories below.

Related

Titans' Taylor Lewan dishes on Todd Downing, Keith Carter after firings

Report: Ty Sambrailo was unhappy with Titans, Keith Carter before retiring

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/26/jets-hire-nathaniel-hackett-keith-carter-titans/