General Draft/Prospect news

Paradis

16 hours ago, maury77 said:

Do you think he's getting drafted? A division 2 fullback seems likely to be available as a FA (I'm not commenting on him as a prospect as I haven't watched him). 

not sure, FB is tough to project because not a lot of teams use one enough to use a draft pick on one.  If he's an FA then I would 100% make him a good offer.  He's excellent out of the backfield and a good blocker.  He could do very very well in this offense.  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

not sure, FB is tough to project because not a lot of teams use one enough to use a draft pick on one.  If he's an FA then I would 100% make him a good offer.  He's excellent out of the backfield and a good blocker.  He could do very very well in this offense.  

Considering what we believe the Jets want to do on offense (run the ball and control the clock), having a good FB is a cheap investment that should reap very good rewards. 

• Upvote 1

Tank Dell is starting to really impress me, although I'm not sure how he fits the team unless we cut Berrios.  But man is he shifty in space and can actually be a good receiver out of the slot.  His route stems are clean and he breaks out of them with such ease.  His hip sink on comeback routes are really nice too, kinda reminds me of a poor man's JSN.  

I'm a sucker for route runners, and I'm really interested to see how he does on the shuttle and 3 cones.  I think his overall speed isn't going to wow in the 40, but short area burst seems really good.  

• Upvote 3

Apparently the draft scuttlebutt coming out of Super Bowl week is that teams like Will Levis more than anyone is saying and that there are huge concerns over Bryce Young’s size as it relates to his ability to work the middle of the field.

Side note: I think every corner of draft media is using Zach Wilson as *the* cautionary tale for drafting 1. Toolsy projects and 2. Undersized QBs. The theme, generally, is “Sure, Josh Allen worked out…but most of these guys end up like Zach Wilson.” 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Apparently the draft scuttlebutt coming out of Super Bowl week is that teams like Will Levis more than anyone is saying and that there are huge concerns over Bryce Young’s size as it relates to his ability to work the middle of the field.

Side note: I think every corner of draft media is using Zach Wilson as *the* cautionary tale for drafting 1. Toolsy projects and 2. Undersized QBs. The theme, generally, is “Sure, Josh Allen worked out…but most of these guys end up like Zach Wilson.” 

Which means what.   To me all of these metrics mean dick all, the guy you choose has it or not and the environment he goes into makes all the difference in the world.   Will Levis could be josh allen or herbert or he could be a total bust.  Bryce young could gt flattened our could be really good. 

People lathering over Brock friggin Purdy because he does well on the one of the most stacked teams in the league that has like 20 take aways in his 7 games.

The best Qbs in this league go to already built teams, and get a full year at least to learn the nfl Mahoomes to kc and Hurts to philly.  Put those guys on the team darnold. had to live with and they'd get killed as well.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Lines up with where everybody seems to have Levis ranked. I don’t see it. Hopefully he’s off the board well before the Jets pick.

I’ve always viewed Young’s size as more of a concern in terms of durability and his bulk, but maybe Murray being inconsistent is an additional ding in terms of the height. He’s interesting to me if he slides. Get him as QB3 or even QB4 and see what he can do on a rookie deal with this team.

I think Wilson is a cautionary tale for drafting a toolsy project and then just throwing him to the wolves. Which means that the team that drafts Anthony Richardson is going to bring him along slowly with a plan in place and he’s going to be a home run and I’m going to be sad.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Which means what.   To me all of these metrics mean dick all, the guy you choose has it or not and the environment he goes into makes all the difference in the world.   Will Levis could be josh allen or herbert or he could be a total bust.  Bryce young could gt flattened our could be really good. 

People lathering over Brock friggin Purdy because he does well on the one of the most stacked teams in the league that has like 20 take aways in his 7 games.

The best Qbs in this league go to already built teams, and get a full year at least to learn the nfl Mahoomes to kc and Hurts to philly.  Put those guys on the team darnold. had to live with and they'd get killed as well.

This is deeply nihilistic. Not that I disagree, but you have to nail both the talent aspect along with the handling of said talent. 

3 hours ago, derp said:

Lines up with where everybody seems to have Levis ranked. I don’t see it. Hopefully he’s off the board well before the Jets pick.

I’ve always viewed Young’s size as more of a concern in terms of durability and his bulk, but maybe Murray being inconsistent is an additional ding in terms of the height. He’s interesting to me if he slides. Get him as QB3 or even QB4 and see what he can do on a rookie deal with this team.

I think Wilson is a cautionary tale for drafting a toolsy project and then just throwing him to the wolves. Which means that the team that drafts Anthony Richardson is going to bring him along slowly with a plan in place and he’s going to be a home run and I’m going to be sad.

Oh, the Jets should absolutely grab Bryce Young if he happened to fall, even if they get Rodgers. Where do you think Richardson ultimately gets drafted? I’m imagining the white board sessions might pose a challenge to him in those interviews.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Oh, the Jets should absolutely grab Bryce Young if he happened to fall, even if they get Rodgers. Where do you think Richardson ultimately gets drafted? I’m imagining the white board sessions might pose a challenge to him in those interviews.

No feel for Richardson, so much is going to depend on both how his pre-draft process goes and what teams decide they like him. I’d think the 8-12 range makes sense for a guy like him. But could be higher, Detroit maybe, or maybe he slides to the second. My favorite thing about him is that in addition to the tools he’s flashed pocket management and eye discipline, so I wonder if he does better in those meetings than folks assume. I kind of think it’s going to be like KC/Mahomes where a team falls in love and decides they want to go get him and bring him along slowly - not that the result will be the same but I think just the process. And the Wilson situation is the best thing that could’ve happened to Richardson because I think he could use time and it’s more likely he gets it now. To me he’s the same general kind of raw toolsy prospect Wilson was - better tools, better conference, worse stats, more obvious accuracy issues - he’ll just go in the range Wilson would’ve gone it and get the time Wilson needed.

I’d venture a guess he lands with the Lions, Falcons, Ravens, Vikings, Giants, or Cowboys. All teams that have a little long term uncertainty at quarterback, burgeoning or currently good situations, offensive coaching staffs and/or a track record of QB development, and either a guy he can clearly sit behind for a bit or in Atlanta’s case a willingness to just trot out whoever at quarterback. A couple of those teams are reaches but still feasible (Prescott only signed two years and Dallas hasn’t gotten where you know Jones wants them plus he’s a loose cannon) and not all are locks to develop him well. Then it’s also possible he goes to the Panthers or Commanders and I get less confident he works out.

Presumably the Jets wouldn’t be in a position to get Young if they get Rodgers - imagine 13 is gone. If they don’t there’s a big block of teams - Detroit, Vegas, Atlanta, Carolina - picking 6-9 that all need a long term QB. If he happens to slide through there I’d flip the Eagles a third round pick to go get him, but that seems unlikely. Figure Houston/Indianapolis likely take guys so that’s Stroud/Levis off the board and all those teams would need to decide no QB or one takes Richardson over Young. Otherwise you’re probably talking giving Seattle a pretty big haul, probably a future first, and I dunno.

Detroit’s kind of interesting for Young since Campbell was in New Orleans where they made Brees work, but on the other hand they’re also interesting for Richardson who could sit behind Goff and play behind a pretty good OL with some skill talent. Nice little situation they have there. Jets’ situation could be similar if Douglas played 2020-2021 correctly (Wirfs and move down from 2).

• Post of the Week 1

On 2/12/2023 at 9:14 AM, derp said:

No feel for Richardson, so much is going to depend on both how his pre-draft process goes and what teams decide they like him. I’d think the 8-12 range makes sense for a guy like him. But could be higher, Detroit maybe, or maybe he slides to the second. My favorite thing about him is that in addition to the tools he’s flashed pocket management and eye discipline, so I wonder if he does better in those meetings than folks assume. I kind of think it’s going to be like KC/Mahomes where a team falls in love and decides they want to go get him and bring him along slowly - not that the result will be the same but I think just the process. And the Wilson situation is the best thing that could’ve happened to Richardson because I think he could use time and it’s more likely he gets it now. To me he’s the same general kind of raw toolsy prospect Wilson was - better tools, better conference, worse stats, more obvious accuracy issues - he’ll just go in the range Wilson would’ve gone it and get the time Wilson needed.

I’d venture a guess he lands with the Lions, Falcons, Ravens, Vikings, Giants, or Cowboys. All teams that have a little long term uncertainty at quarterback, burgeoning or currently good situations, offensive coaching staffs and/or a track record of QB development, and either a guy he can clearly sit behind for a bit or in Atlanta’s case a willingness to just trot out whoever at quarterback. A couple of those teams are reaches but still feasible (Prescott only signed two years and Dallas hasn’t gotten where you know Jones wants them plus he’s a loose cannon) and not all are locks to develop him well. Then it’s also possible he goes to the Panthers or Commanders and I get less confident he works out.

Presumably the Jets wouldn’t be in a position to get Young if they get Rodgers - imagine 13 is gone. If they don’t there’s a big block of teams - Detroit, Vegas, Atlanta, Carolina - picking 6-9 that all need a long term QB. If he happens to slide through there I’d flip the Eagles a third round pick to go get him, but that seems unlikely. Figure Houston/Indianapolis likely take guys so that’s Stroud/Levis off the board and all those teams would need to decide no QB or one takes Richardson over Young. Otherwise you’re probably talking giving Seattle a pretty big haul, probably a future first, and I dunno.

Detroit’s kind of interesting for Young since Campbell was in New Orleans where they made Brees work, but on the other hand they’re also interesting for Richardson who could sit behind Goff and play behind a pretty good OL with some skill talent. Nice little situation they have there. Jets’ situation could be similar if Douglas played 2020-2021 correctly (Wirfs and move down from 2).

Not to give this short shrift, but I am researching Anthony Richardson evals before I comment. ?

On 1/31/2023 at 5:37 PM, sec101row23 said:

Lol….you and me both.   I still don’t know what actually happened to him though.  It’s like he fell off of the face of the earth.  I’m surprised he flamed out as bad as he did.   

You can never tell how a 21, 22 year old kid will react when he gets some cash in his pocket.

Some work harder.  Some just party, and by the time they realize they need to work, it's  too late.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, derp said:

As a Florida fan who wants Richardson to succeed - setting any pro fandom aside - what organization would you most like to see Richardson go to?

I honestly dont really get that invested in Gators once they turn pro.  AR in particular was a 1 year starter so barely even got to know him so I dont really have an ideal destination for him.  All I know is what I've said you cant deny the freak factor @T0mShane he will be the best athlete on the field or bench lol, every time he suits up.  You cant make human like AR, he's a total freakazoid of a human and athlete, but he's the rawest of raw in terms of a passer.  I do like that he's at least looked at the field like an NFL QB does, but still, whoever takes him, dont care who, has to have a plan and patience.  I've seen the Lions suggested a few times, sit behind Goff, good run game, weapons, etc.  Could make sense. 

57 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

In the throes of 3L, working a clinic and trying to finish strong. Leaves me no time for my true happiness which is being wrong about draft prospects 

I’m in grad school as well after I decided I didn’t like my career. Huge time suck. My 14 month old and two dogs also take up a chunk of time. Used to have much more capacity for prospect digging.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, derp said:

I’m in grad school as well after I decided I didn’t like my career. Huge time suck. My 14 month old and two dogs also take up a chunk of time. Used to have much more capacity for prospect digging.

My fiancé, my upcoming wedding, puppy and part-time job are all conspiring with law school to keep me away from CUSA offensive line prospects.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

My fiancé, my upcoming wedding, puppy and part-time job are all conspiring with law school to keep me away from CUSA offensive line prospects.

Very similar to me two years ago - just minus school and plus a home purchase. Moved and started school a couple weeks after the wedding.

• Upvote 1

On 2/9/2023 at 2:48 PM, win4ever said:

Tank Dell is starting to really impress me, although I'm not sure how he fits the team unless we cut Berrios.  But man is he shifty in space and can actually be a good receiver out of the slot.  His route stems are clean and he breaks out of them with such ease.  His hip sink on comeback routes are really nice too, kinda reminds me of a poor man's JSN.  

I'm a sucker for route runners, and I'm really interested to see how he does on the shuttle and 3 cones.  I think his overall speed isn't going to wow in the 40, but short area burst seems really good.  

Glad to see there are other fans! I thought overall he may have been the most consistently impressive at the Senior bowl practices.   Great kid too

• Upvote 2

On 2/11/2023 at 8:32 PM, derp said:

I said it early on that I had heard that the #1 qb this year in MANY scouts eyes was Stroud.  He's getting the most love in terms of circles of college people I talk to.  

I can say that I have heard at this present time both the Colts and Raiders absolutely love him.  (Unsure with the new staff in Indy if thats still the case, but I had heard Ballard was a HUGE fan)

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I said it early on that I had heard that the #1 qb this year in MANY scouts eyes was Stroud.  He's getting the most love in terms of circles of college people I talk to.  

I can say that I have heard at this present time both the Colts and Raiders absolutely love him.  (Unsure with the new staff in Indy if thats still the case, but I had heard Ballard was a HUGE fan)

It’s been said before but the way he played against Georgia was pretty eye opening. I doubt he slides but wouldn’t have any problem with the Jets taking him if he did. Don’t love taking a guy with absolutely elite talent around him but cool rolling the dice around there.

Think they’re going the veteran route so it’s probably moot. But believe risk/reward for a QB is so much better around 10ish than higher up, and I think giving a guy Wilson as a security blanket early - plus hopefully an effectively deployed Moore - would be helpful for development. Drafting and developing just has so much more upside and a higher floor because the guy is so cheap, the Jets have just been absolutely awful at it.

3 minutes ago, derp said:

It’s been said before but the way he played against Georgia was pretty eye opening. I doubt he slides but wouldn’t have any problem with the Jets taking him if he did. Don’t love taking a guy with absolutely elite talent around him but cool rolling the dice around there.

Think they’re going the veteran route so it’s probably moot. But believe risk/reward for a QB is so much better around 10ish than higher up, and I think giving a guy Wilson as a security blanket early - plus hopefully an effectively deployed Moore - would be helpful for development. Drafting and developing just has so much more upside and a higher floor because the guy is so cheap, the Jets have just been absolutely awful at it.

I think if they take a QB at all this year its 4th or later we'll see though.  

I think we all know they are going the vet route while tryign to see if Zach can figure it out this year.  Next year i think will be the year they make the move for a QB if things with zach dont work out.  Maybe trade up and let whoever it is sit for a year behind the vet.  

20 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I think if they take a QB at all this year its 4th or later we'll see though.  

I think we all know they are going the vet route while tryign to see if Zach can figure it out this year.  Next year i think will be the year they make the move for a QB if things with zach dont work out.  Maybe trade up and let whoever it is sit for a year behind the vet.  

Yeah, I think we’re a few years away from them drafting a QB high. Picks out the door for a veteran means no capital. If they just sign a guy and trade down for 2024 picks then maybe that scenario takes place. Wouldn’t hate that.

This just feels like the year that there’s gonna be a guy around 10 or so who wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg to acquire, but is talented. Naturally it’s not really an option for the franchise at this time.

I think this feels like when they passed on Mahomes and Watson because they had Hackenberg which is why it’s so irritating. These opportunities to take a talented guy a little later don’t come along every year, think it’s the best time to strike - unlike those who want to do it when they’re picking second or third.

Think Douglas feels he’s pot committed with Wilson but he’s better off just cutting his losses.

5 minutes ago, derp said:

Yeah, I think we’re a few years away from them drafting a QB high. Picks out the door for a veteran means no capital. If they just sign a guy and trade down for 2024 picks then maybe that scenario takes place. Wouldn’t hate that.

This just feels like the year that there’s gonna be a guy around 10 or so who wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg to acquire, but is talented. Naturally it’s not really an option for the franchise at this time.

I think this feels like when they passed on Mahomes and Watson because they had Hackenberg which is why it’s so irritating. These opportunities to take a talented guy a little later don’t come along every year, think it’s the best time to strike - unlike those who want to do it when they’re picking second or third.

Think Douglas feels he’s pot committed with Wilson but he’s better off just cutting his losses.

I really think the one guy they would take a chance on is Herndon Hooker.  People are raving about his character and work ethic/intangibles.  I think he's a prime 2nd round candidate now maybeeeee falls to the 3rd but I doubt it.  If we were to sign a garropolo/tannehil then trade down from 13 to garner more picks this year/ next year i could see us maybe taking a stab at a hooker (pun intended) 

I think its unlikely, but thats one scenario that I could envision. 

4 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I really think the one guy they would take a chance on is Herndon Hooker.  People are raving about his character and work ethic/intangibles.  I think he's a prime 2nd round candidate now maybeeeee falls to the 3rd but I doubt it.  If we were to sign a garropolo/tannehil then trade down from 13 to garner more picks this year/ next year i could see us maybe taking a stab at a hooker (pun intended) 

I think its unlikely, but thats one scenario that I could envision. 

Yeah, I think it conceptually makes sense. In my head if basically anyone but Levis is sitting there around 10, you know you don’t have a long term answer at QB so just shoot your shot. But I get it’s not happening. It’ll just be frustrating if it works out for some other team because in retrospect it’ll be so obvious. Hopefully they’re all gone in the top 9. Would help push some better players down too.

• Upvote 1