General Draft/Prospect news

Paradis

On 2/18/2023 at 9:39 PM, T0mShane said:

Fwiw, the hot draft take this week has uniformly been “If I’m picking in the top five, the QB I want to take a chance on is Anthony Richardson.”

If Richardson is still on the board when the Jets are on the clock, JD's phone will be ringing off the hook. He might get an offer el no puede negarse.

• Upvote 1

So is this draft just generally underwhelming? I’m trying to catch up on prospects the next 2 weeks while I have a small lull in life and I just don’t see the same type of prospects as we’ve had the past few years.

Or maybe Aaron Rodgers is ruining everything?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

So is this draft just generally underwhelming? I’m trying to catch up on prospects the next 2 weeks while I have a small lull in life and I just don’t see the same type of prospects as we’ve had the past few years.

No, I'm kinda underwhelmed too. At the same time, I haven't looked at Jalen Carter, Will Anderson or Bijan Robinson so maybe I'd feel differently if I watched them, but there just isn't a lot of blue chip talent that I've seen. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, maury77 said:

No, I'm kinda underwhelmed too. At the same time, I haven't looked at Jalen Carter, Will Anderson or Bijan Robinson so maybe I'd feel differently if I watched them, but there just isn't a lot of blue chip talent that I've seen. 

These OL prospects aren’t exciting. Somehow people are drooling over Zay Flowers. These safeties kinda suck. Idk I’ve only watched a fraction of what I normally watch but 13 feels like no man’s land.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

These OL prospects aren’t exciting. Somehow people are drooling over Zay Flowers. These safeties kinda suck. Idk I’ve only watched a fraction of what I normally watch but 13 feels like no man’s land.

I think there are guys at 13 that can really help, but it's the 2nd round that feels like a wasteland to me.  Nobody there excites me like some of the past years (Breece Hall anyone?).  

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

I think there are guys at 13 that can really help, but it's the 2nd round that feels like a wasteland to me.  Nobody there excites me like some of the past years (Breece Hall anyone?).  

At 13 it seems like a bunch of guys that would’ve been second rounders last year. Seems like a good draft to trade back and get capital for next year or trade for short term vets. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Rodgers hasn’t even started to ruin things.?

• Upvote 1

On 3/8/2023 at 10:13 PM, nycdan said:

On 3/9/2023 at 12:29 AM, kdels62 said:

At 13 it seems like a bunch of guys that would’ve been second rounders last year. Seems like a good draft to trade back and get capital for next year or trade for short term vets. 

image.thumb.png.048084f72d7e3a43954f4a76198782aa.png

12 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

If Rodgers comes to NY, I’m sure he’d like to see the Jets take dual threat RB (like Breece) at some point in the draft. He loved him some Aaron Jones. Hoping Hall makes it all the way back but you need insurance.

Screen passes a big part of GB offense

I know people are down Carter after last season, and I understand why but I really think he just had a down year playing banged up behind an OL that couldnt block w/ QB's that didnt scare anyone.  I think he can still be very dangerous, especially catching the ball out of the backfield.  Idk, call me crazy but I wouldnt touch RB this year; Hall, Carter, Bam - that's a very formidable 3 man rotation. 

• Sympathy 1

On 3/8/2023 at 9:35 PM, kdels62 said:

"Not exciting" isnt necessarily a bad thing for OL.  

While I dont necessarily disagree with your feelings about the draft not being as exciting as usual, I think it matches up really with what we need, for a few reasons.

1.  There are a ton of first round CBs which we dont need so the opportunity to trade back is really enticing for a team that wants a CB

2.  The OL also matches up with what we need.  There is one elite center in JMS who looks like he will be available in the second round and then Olusegun Oluwatimi from Michigan who seems like he is flying way under the radar and could also be a day 1 starter who is also a 2nd/3rd rounder.

3.  Off ball LB is a big need and there are a few who all look like 2nd-4th rounders.  Campbell, Trenton Simpson, Owen Pappoe and Haney

4. OT has some good mid round guys as well in Tyler Steen, Matthew Bergeron, Blake Freeland.  

I would love to see us move back from 13 to pick up some additional picks so we can fill some holes in the roster.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, BCJet said:

"Not exciting" isnt necessarily a bad thing for OL.  

While I dont necessarily disagree with your feelings about the draft not being as exciting as usual, I think it matches up really with what we need, for a few reasons.

1.  There are a ton of first round CBs which we dont need so the opportunity to trade back is really enticing for a team that wants a CB

2.  The OL also matches up with what we need.  There is one elite center in JMS who looks like he will be available in the second round and then Olusegun Oluwatimi from Michigan who seems like he is flying way under the radar and could also be a day 1 starter who is also a 2nd/3rd rounder.

3.  Off ball LB is a big need and there are a few who all look like 2nd-4th rounders.  Campbell, Trenton Simpson, Owen Pappoe and Haney

4. OT has some good mid round guys as well in Tyler Steen, Matthew Bergeron, Blake Freeland.  

I would love to see us move back from 13 to pick up some additional picks so we can fill some holes in the roster.

John Michael Schmitz is a good prospect not a great one. He’s a year older than Linderbaum and much less athletic. The best center prospect in the draft is Wypler based on age, performance and athleticism. 

Just generally tho, I get excited about great OL play and projection. I’m not seeing it this year to the same extent as last year. Heck Abraham Lucas would be the best OT in this years draft. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/8/2023 at 9:35 PM, kdels62 said:

Yeah, I think it’s a bit of a no man’s land situation at 13 if they hang on to that pick.

Compounded because I presume if they bring in Rodgers the goal will be to bring in an immediate impact guy (unlike what the Packers did). Offensive line class feels like a bunch of different shades of developmental guys - especially up high. There’s the guys who could play guard or guard early, but no spot there unless the Jets kick AVT to tackle which I don’t want to see. Could roll the dice on Skoronski sticking at tackle with AVT at tackle as a break in case of emergency. I get the vibe Wright will be a good right tackle quickly and that’s probably the quickest impact at tackle but I don’t know if they want to commit to Mitchell being a backup swing tackle.

Maybe DL. But agree with a sentiment in another post of yours that they’d be best off dropping into the 20’s or even later, replenishing some of the capital they give up, and just seeing what falls to them. Not sure Anton Harrison is that much worse team building wise than Broderick Jones if they’ve got Becton, Brown, and Mitchell, maybe Wright makes sense there, 20’s opens up WR, see if a DL they like falls, etc.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, derp said:

Yeah, I think it’s a bit of a no man’s land situation at 13 if they hang on to that pick.

Compounded because I presume if they bring in Rodgers the goal will be to bring in an immediate impact guy (unlike what the Packers did). Offensive line class feels like a bunch of different shades of developmental guys - especially up high. There’s the guys who could play guard or guard early, but no spot there unless the Jets kick AVT to tackle which I don’t want to see. Could roll the dice on Skoronski sticking at tackle with AVT at tackle as a break in case of emergency. I get the vibe Wright will be a good right tackle quickly and that’s probably the quickest impact at tackle but I don’t know if they want to commit to Mitchell being a backup swing tackle.

Maybe DL. But agree with a sentiment in another post of yours that they’d be best off dropping into the 20’s or even later, replenishing some of the capital they give up, and just seeing what falls to them. Not sure Anton Harrison is that much worse team building wise than Broderick Jones if they’ve got Becton, Brown, and Mitchell, maybe Wright makes sense there, 20’s opens up WR, see if a DL they like falls, etc.

Honestly, I can’t see a player worth the pick that can impact early and often other than Calijah Kancey or a falling edge player. 

Drafting an OT requires that player to be immediately better than Becton, Brown, Mitchell and AVT. I just don’t see that happening with the crop of players in this draft. The juice wouldn’t be worth the squeeze. I’m hating 13 and hope a QB or CB drops.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Honestly, I can’t see a player worth the pick that can impact early and often other than Calijah Kancey or a falling edge player. 

Drafting an OT requires that player to be immediately better than Becton, Brown, Mitchell and AVT. I just don’t see that happening with the crop of players in this draft. The juice wouldn’t be worth the squeeze. I’m hating 13 and hope a QB or CB drops.

13 is going to be an interesting spot I believe.  There are a lot of rumors out there.  

While i do not think its going to happen the Panthers have indicated that they may be open to trading down from #1 if there are multiple QB's they like.  I had heard Stroud was their guy for a while now, but there has been some chatter claiming that maybe Richardson will be the pick.  Vegas believes its Stroud still and so do I.  

What does this do?  Well with 4 viable top of the round QB's and many QB needy teams there is a distinct chance that this draft could go 1-4 all QB's. Say Panthers go Stroud and maybe Texans go Young.  That leaves Richardson and Levis as the next viable candidates with the Cardinals on the clock and looking to move down. Indy, Seattle, Vegas, and Detroit have all indicated they are AT LEAST interested in taking a qb with the Raiders and Colts probably the most desperate to do so.    

If the Colts feel good enough about any of the 4 they can stay put, or try to move up to ensure they get the best of the rest.  Either way that leaves Arizona in a very interesting spot.  

What does this mean for 13? 

Well Looking at Draft Big board.  If QB's went 1-4.  That still leaves the entire board still available at the top of the round.  

So the jets would probably be looking at at minimum the 2 of the top 3 tackles, a top 5 edge, one of the top WR's or the top TE.  IF THEY STAY AT 13.  Not terrible, maybe the value isnt there you say? Ok I agree probably but, I think teams may look and try to trade up to get THEIR guy in this first round as all of the talent seems pretty even.  

I think in this situation the jets would probably trade down to recoup the picks they use in the Rodgers deal (im not convinced 13 goes in this deal, in fact im not convinced a flat out 1st rounder goes in it period).  Trading down to the 20s would be a great move and could still address many of the needs we have while getting a player that can contribute.  Jets I believe are in a decent spot in this draft right now. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/12/2023 at 9:42 AM, kdels62 said:

John Michael Schmitz is a good prospect not a great one. He’s a year older than Linderbaum and much less athletic. The best center prospect in the draft is Wypler based on age, performance and athleticism. 

Just generally tho, I get excited about great OL play and projection. I’m not seeing it this year to the same extent as last year. Heck Abraham Lucas would be the best OT in this years draft. 

Athletic testing is suggesting this as well. There's a few eye-popping candidates like Nolan Smith and the Old Dominion TE, and I think a Illini safety that performed very well, but not a ton to get excited about. I'm glad we had all the picks last year because it feels like an infinitely better class.

Haven't gotten super invested (just had a 2nd baby) but for OT and OL in general i'm kind of just whelmed.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

13 is going to be an interesting spot I believe.  There are a lot of rumors out there.  

While i do not think its going to happen the Panthers have indicated that they may be open to trading down from #1 if there are multiple QB's they like.  I had heard Stroud was their guy for a while now, but there has been some chatter claiming that maybe Richardson will be the pick.  Vegas believes its Stroud still and so do I.  

What does this do?  Well with 4 viable top of the round QB's and many QB needy teams there is a distinct chance that this draft could go 1-4 all QB's. Say Panthers go Stroud and maybe Texans go Young.  That leaves Richardson and Levis as the next viable candidates with the Cardinals on the clock and looking to move down. Indy, Seattle, Vegas, and Detroit have all indicated they are AT LEAST interested in taking a qb with the Raiders and Colts probably the most desperate to do so.    

If the Colts feel good enough about any of the 4 they can stay put, or try to move up to ensure they get the best of the rest.  Either way that leaves Arizona in a very interesting spot.  

What does this mean for 13? 

Well Looking at Draft Big board.  If QB's went 1-4.  That still leaves the entire board still available at the top of the round.  

So the jets would probably be looking at at minimum the 2 of the top 3 tackles, a top 5 edge, one of the top WR's or the top TE.  IF THEY STAY AT 13.  Not terrible, maybe the value isnt there you say? Ok I agree probably but, I think teams may look and try to trade up to get THEIR guy in this first round as all of the talent seems pretty even.  

I think in this situation the jets would probably trade down to recoup the picks they use in the Rodgers deal (im not convinced 13 goes in this deal, in fact im not convinced a flat out 1st rounder goes in it period).  Trading down to the 20s would be a great move and could still address many of the needs we have while getting a player that can contribute.  Jets I believe are in a decent spot in this draft right now. 

What if Jalen Carter drops? Now that would be very interesting. Talk about the phone ringing off the hook.

6 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Athletic testing is suggesting this as well. There's a few eye-popping candidates like Nolan Smith and the Old Dominion TE, and I think a Illini safety that performed very well, but not a ton to get excited about. I'm glad we had all the picks last year because it feels like an infinitely better class.

Haven't gotten super invested (just had a 2nd baby) but for OT and OL in general i'm kind of just whelmed.

Wholeheartedly agree. A few of the tackles are solid and athleticism’s not as key there. Van Ness did alright too. Not a bad year to go TE outside the first, that was an impressive spot. I also wonder about the NW DL as an inside out for day two. 

And congrats! Our second is due this summer.

• Upvote 1

On 3/13/2023 at 12:43 PM, section314 said:

What if Jalen Carter drops? Now that would be very interesting. Talk about the phone ringing off the hook.

You have to take Carter there. I appreciate that the team is about to spend big $ on Quinnen's contract but the two of them together would be a nightmare for teams. 

• Upvote 1

Probably easy enough to make a board out to 13 for the Jets. Quarterbacks, Anderson, Carter, Wilson, tackles gets you to ten. Some combination of Smith, Van Ness, Branch, Kancey, and Wright or Harrison probably rounds it out. Anybody else?

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

would Jets take him if he falls to 13?

Depends on what else happens in FA.

If they don't have a second rounder, I trade back, because you need an actual center, and probably a guard, and now d tackle depth as well.  If someone makes a fair offer, I'd go down, and fill some of the multiple holes.

Douglas typically does not like to draft players with questionable character and work ethic. But given what’s happened in free agency thus far + Carter’s projected fall, really starting to wonder if they’ll submit a card with his name on it in April. 

Their locker room is a great environment. They’ve flipped the culture. They have a “win-now” mindset. You would think we’d be a good fit for him. If Peter Skoronski is there I think he’d still be the pick, but this Jalen Carter stuff is worth following

• Upvote 1