General Draft/Prospect news

Paradis

28 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I'm starting to get the feeling that we wont be picking at 13.  A lot of the people I talk to have been getting the sense that trading down seems more and more likely. 

Credit where it is due... I know others on the board have hinted at this but I think its good intel based on what I have heard as well.  The Giants are particularly hot and heavy for JSN and looking to trade up.  I think this could be a deal to look at as a likely landing spot. 

Giants pick 25.  Not saying this trade will happen, just getting the sense talking to people that there is a lot of interest in 1) the Jets moving down and 2) the Giants moving up so im doing a little bit of projecting on my own part and connecting the dots from my own information to the exact trade scenario others here have posted. 

We've all been busy looking at prospects to draft at 13, might be time we shift gears and start looking at that mid 20's landing spot. 

Looks like 13+112 lines up nicely with 25+57+89+160. Seems like a lot for the Giants to give up but wouldn’t mind it for the Jets.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, derp said:

Looks like 13+112 lines up nicely with 25+57+89+160. Seems like a lot for the Giants to give up but wouldn’t mind it for the Jets.

price you have to pay to move up. not sure how much farther JSN would make it if they tried to move up to a later pick.  I could see us asking for more picks next year than this year.  something like pick 13 (1150 pts) for 25 (720), 89 (450) and next years 2nd. or something to that effect. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

price you have to pay to move up. not sure how much farther JSN would make it if they tried to move up to a later pick.  I could see us asking for more picks next year than this year.  something like pick 13 (1150 pts) for 25 (720), 89 (450) and next years 2nd. or something to that effect. 

Yup, I was thinking something similar but a touch difference. I think 25, 57, 160 with a swap of next year's NYG second for next year's NYJ third would be good and might be palatable for both sides.

Still would like to get Minnesota's #3 and 2024 #1 for them to move up for Levis. Think that's best case.

32 minutes ago, derp said:

Yup, I was thinking something similar but a touch difference. I think 25, 57, 160 with a swap of next year's NYG second for next year's NYJ third would be good and might be palatable for both sides.

Still would like to get Minnesota's #3 and 2024 #1 for them to move up for Levis. Think that's best case.

i meannnn if we can get a first next year I think JD would jump at that.  He needs ammo to move up for a QB in the event that Zach does not show any improvement this year. 

53 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

i meannnn if we can get a first next year I think JD would jump at that.  He needs ammo to move up for a QB in the event that Zach does not show any improvement this year. 

I think it’s absolute best case. Even if it means having an extra first round pick to try to move for 2025 capital of they want to go for it with Rodgers again. Deep down they have to know Wilson’s in game pocket presence is just too far gone for him to get there at the professional level even if they clean up the accuracy stuff. And as we’ve all discussed there’s not much they’re losing if they drop down into the 20’s in this class.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I would love a deal like that.

That being said, every time I do a mock, I do trade downs.  I think it's much more valuable to move down 10, 12 spots in the 1st and pick up an additional 1 the next year, or a 2 this year and next year.  Those extra ones and twos allows you to build a deeper roster.

• Upvote 2

On 3/26/2023 at 8:56 AM, Chrebetfan80 said:

If you love WR play, marvin harrison jr film is clinic tape. Its fantastic, thats a kid that you take and not worry at all about him producing at the next level. 

Yeah, he's just so damn smooth with his routes, and his size/speed combination makes him deadly.  I think him and JSN are the ones holding Strout's evaluation back because he just had so many good weapons.  He has a chance to have worked with 4 first round guys at least, and possibly 5,  

15 hours ago, derp said:

I think it’s absolute best case. Even if it means having an extra first round pick to try to move for 2025 capital of they want to go for it with Rodgers again. Deep down they have to know Wilson’s in game pocket presence is just too far gone for him to get there at the professional level even if they clean up the accuracy stuff. And as we’ve all discussed there’s not much they’re losing if they drop down into the 20’s in this class.

Yea, JD is going to want to replenish the picks we give up in the Rodgers trade.  Makes sense now to trade down and get that done. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, chirorob said:

I would love a deal like that.

That being said, every time I do a mock, I do trade downs.  I think it's much more valuable to move down 10, 12 spots in the 1st and pick up an additional 1 the next year, or a 2 this year and next year.  Those extra ones and twos allows you to build a deeper roster.

The deals on the mock drafts are so good its by far a no brainer.  In real life I am not sure how much we will get in a trade down.  Seeing the value in the Giants deal add up to that actually makes me think that unless we move down to late 20's we will only get at most next years 2. 

Hopefully im wrong though

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, win4ever said:

Yeah, he's just so damn smooth with his routes, and his size/speed combination makes him deadly.  I think him and JSN are the ones holding Strout's evaluation back because he just had so many good weapons.  He has a chance to have worked with 4 first round guys at least, and possibly 5,  

That's certainly a concern.  The guys he's had to work with are some of the better Wr's weve seen come out in a while.  Harrison JR. is on another level in terms of his technique (not surprising).  

I am still under the impression stroud will go 1st overall, but I could be wrong, a lot changes between now and the draft.  Private meetings and workouts sometimes sway guys.  we'll see what happens.  Media has been pretty bullish on Young being the best and going 1 overall.  Once the panthers made the deal that changed to stroud.  I had said early on there were two teams initially i had heard were VERY high on stroud and that was the Panthers and the Colts.  We'll see if that holds up.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

That's certainly a concern.  The guys he's had to work with are some of the better Wr's weve seen come out in a while.  Harrison JR. is on another level in terms of his technique (not surprising).  

I am still under the impression stroud will go 1st overall, but I could be wrong, a lot changes between now and the draft.  Private meetings and workouts sometimes sway guys.  we'll see what happens.  Media has been pretty bullish on Young being the best and going 1 overall.  Once the panthers made the deal that changed to stroud.  I had said early on there were two teams initially i had heard were VERY high on stroud and that was the Panthers and the Colts.  We'll see if that holds up.

I had similar issues scouting Tua and Mac Jones because almost always their first or second read were open.  I couldn't tell if it was good pre-snap recognition to post snap execution, or basically just going "Ok, I'll go to any one of the guys I have a major mismatch on this play" type of thinking,  Almost just becomes a physical scouting example, rather than playing on the field.  I remember trying to scout Tua, and at the top of his drop, 4 out of 5 options were wide open, and it occurred multiple times per game.  

I think the Panthers take Stroud, Reich likes guys that have vertical passing ability, and I think he's the safest of the choices.  I think the wildcard could be Richardson if he just completely wows people away in these meetings.   

I think it's a good spot to trade down, still have my eyes on the Saints.  I think there is some pressure there to start winning in what should be a winnable division, with Payton moving onto Denver.  That whole "Was is just Payton all along?" conversation is going to start up if they keep losing.  I think there's a legit chance they might go for JSN or one of the CBs dropping.   

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I had similar issues scouting Tua and Mac Jones because almost always their first or second read were open.  I couldn't tell if it was good pre-snap recognition to post snap execution, or basically just going "Ok, I'll go to any one of the guys I have a major mismatch on this play" type of thinking,  Almost just becomes a physical scouting example, rather than playing on the field.  I remember trying to scout Tua, and at the top of his drop, 4 out of 5 options were wide open, and it occurred multiple times per game.  

This has been the case with 'Bama and OSU QBs for the last few years.  The embarrassment of riches both teams have had at WR lately has been nothing short of amazing.

18 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This has been the case with 'Bama and OSU QBs for the last few years.  The embarrassment of riches both teams have had at WR lately has been nothing short of amazing.

It's crazy how loaded some of these teams were at WR, and they have translated to the NFL as well.  It wasn't just some college stars, but legit NFL guys.  Stroud most likely will have a legitimate downgrade at playmaker going from college to the NFL.  

3 minutes ago, win4ever said:

It's crazy how loaded some of these teams were at WR, and they have translated to the NFL as well.  It wasn't just some college stars, but legit NFL guys.  Stroud most likely will have a legitimate downgrade at playmaker going from college to the NFL.  

True, but any worse than Fields?  Or Mac Jones?

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

I think best case for those guys is the jury is out on their NFL future, but if Carolina takes Stroud #1 they’ll want him to be better over his first two years than those two were. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I think all of them become physical scouting projections at that point.  Fields to me, was rated higher than Tua/Jones because his running ability instantly translated to the NFL.  He was a baseline star runner the moment he stepped on the field, so it was more about projecting to see if his arm would progress to an acceptable level.  I thought it would, because he was extremely accurate in college.  

I was lower on Tua because I didn't think his running ability was quite the same, as he's more of a "escape the pocket" type guy.  Similar vein to Wilson, where he'll outrun some college guys and make some plays, but he's not a constant threat to run like say Lamar/Allen.  Fields had that advantage, so he could buy more time to develop.  

Mac Jones physically can't match either of those two, and one of the most mediocre physical projects to be picked in the first round in awhile.  However, his pre-snap reads were ridiculously good, especially his blitz recognition.  I think that's why he got off to such a good start, because teams usually run a lot of stunts and exotic looks against rookies, but he was good enough to pick it up.  Once they got the book on him, he doesn't have the physical traits to make them pay.  

The caveat being, we have no idea how any of these guys do with the white board and meetings.  That was my general reasoning for Lance going ahead of Fields, because nothing on the field indicated Lance to be better than Fields.  Fields was the better athlete, better competition, and better scouting profile.  I assume Fields did really bad with team meetings as the only reason he dropped past 3.  

One thing I really like to see is guys that make line adjustments in college, after the defense makes a shift.  You'll see a bunch of early adjustments when people line up, but that's essentially predetermined "If defense does Y, we switch to 4" type calls.  I like seeing guys that sees the reaction from a motion guy, and then adjusts to it, because that usually shows good understanding of the dynamics.  However, it's super rare in college, with spread systems based on speed.  It's far easier for the coaches to call the audible because everyone sees it at the same time, instead of the QB relaying that information.  

9 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I think all of them become physical scouting projections at that point.  Fields to me, was rated higher than Tua/Jones because his running ability instantly translated to the NFL.  He was a baseline star runner the moment he stepped on the field, so it was more about projecting to see if his arm would progress to an acceptable level.  I thought it would, because he was extremely accurate in college.  

I was lower on Tua because I didn't think his running ability was quite the same, as he's more of a "escape the pocket" type guy.  Similar vein to Wilson, where he'll outrun some college guys and make some plays, but he's not a constant threat to run like say Lamar/Allen.  Fields had that advantage, so he could buy more time to develop.  

Mac Jones physically can't match either of those two, and one of the most mediocre physical projects to be picked in the first round in awhile.  However, his pre-snap reads were ridiculously good, especially his blitz recognition.  I think that's why he got off to such a good start, because teams usually run a lot of stunts and exotic looks against rookies, but he was good enough to pick it up.  Once they got the book on him, he doesn't have the physical traits to make them pay.  

The caveat being, we have no idea how any of these guys do with the white board and meetings.  That was my general reasoning for Lance going ahead of Fields, because nothing on the field indicated Lance to be better than Fields.  Fields was the better athlete, better competition, and better scouting profile.  I assume Fields did really bad with team meetings as the only reason he dropped past 3.  

One thing I really like to see is guys that make line adjustments in college, after the defense makes a shift.  You'll see a bunch of early adjustments when people line up, but that's essentially predetermined "If defense does Y, we switch to 4" type calls.  I like seeing guys that sees the reaction from a motion guy, and then adjusts to it, because that usually shows good understanding of the dynamics.  However, it's super rare in college, with spread systems based on speed.  It's far easier for the coaches to call the audible because everyone sees it at the same time, instead of the QB relaying that information.  

I think Ben Allbright was stating that people were nervous about Field's medical condition (I forgot what it was). 

34 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I think Ben Allbright was stating that people were nervous about Field's medical condition (I forgot what it was). 

Yeah, I believe he was taking meds for epilepsy but there are a bunch that played with it.  I believe Faneca and Tiki Barber had it too.  I think the concern might have been a shorter career, where they might retire early than push on for 20 years.   

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, win4ever said:

I think the Panthers take Stroud, Reich likes guys that have vertical passing ability, and I think he's the safest of the choices.  I think the wildcard could be Richardson if he just completely wows people away in these meetings.   

I think it's a good spot to trade down, still have my eyes on the Saints.  I think there is some pressure there to start winning in what should be a winnable division, with Payton moving onto Denver.  That whole "Was is just Payton all along?" conversation is going to start up if they keep losing.  I think there's a legit chance they might go for JSN or one of the CBs dropping.   

It definitely makes the evaluation process a little harder.  You can still go off of progressions, footwork, mechanics, and poise in different situations. 

I think Stroud fits what the panthers like for sure, in which case I think young would go 2 to houston.  After that its a crap shoot.  I think best case scenario is levis/ richardson are available at 13 and people try to move up with us for those guys.  That would be ideal. 

The Saints is an interesting team there because they are in a win now mode with Carr, even though they shouldnt be.  I coudl definitely see them being aggressive, and they have been before. 

• Upvote 1

I know OL is a huge need for the Jets but if they stay at 13, are they really better off selecting Skoronski/Johnson/Jones/Wright over Jalen Carter (if he drops) or Clancey? Theoretically, there is a scenario where Mitchell or Becton have a good year and Brown plays better after being healthy. Jets have no one next to Quinnen right now and I think Carter (definitely) and Clancey (maybe) are better prospects than the OL that will be there. 

5 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

It definitely makes the evaluation process a little harder.  You can still go off of progressions, footwork, mechanics, and poise in different situations. 

I think Stroud fits what the panthers like for sure, in which case I think young would go 2 to houston.  After that its a crap shoot.  I think best case scenario is levis/ richardson are available at 13 and people try to move up with us for those guys.  That would be ideal. 

The Saints is an interesting team there because they are in a win now mode with Carr, even though they shouldnt be.  I coudl definitely see them being aggressive, and they have been before. 

Someone mentioned a corner for the Saints, which could make sense in this class depending on when guys come off the board. Maybe an edge too.

Chargers are a good fit trade chart wise. Could see them moving up with the Jets for a tackle and our fans getting annoyed. I just don’t think a tackle at 13 makes a big impact on a win now team. Fine to address it but someone like Harrison or Wright in the 20’s if they can pull that and get an extra pick lines up nicer in my opinion.

Vikings going up for one of the QB’s (Levis) is still my favorite. Douglas negotiated a couple deals with them before (AVT trade up, Herndon) but I would guess both were pre Adofo-Mensah.

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I know OL is a huge need for the Jets but if they stay at 13, are they really better off selecting Skoronski/Johnson/Jones/Wright over Jalen Carter (if he drops) or Clancey? Theoretically, there is a scenario where Mitchell or Becton have a good year and Brown plays better after being healthy. Jets have no one next to Quinnen right now and I think Carter (definitely) and Clancey (maybe) are better prospects than the OL that will be there. 

Think this is why it’s nice to fall into the 20’s. Cancey may fall there, Wright or Harrison make sense, Tippmann or Schmitz could be in play, maybe there’s a WR they like, Branch is more palatable there if he falls. I think 13 is a nice spot if there’s someone far and above everyone else on their board, but it’s likely that they’re early in whatever tier of this draft class starts around thirteen, three or four, whereas they can probably pluck a guy who falls out of that tier or be in the middle of the following tier in the 20’s.

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, derp said:

Think this is why it’s nice to fall into the 20’s. Cancey may fall there, Wright or Harrison make sense, Tippmann or Schmitz could be in play, maybe there’s a WR they like, Branch is more palatable there if he falls. I think 13 is a nice spot if there’s someone far and above everyone else on their board, but it’s likely that they’re early in whatever tier of this draft class starts around thirteen, three or four, whereas they can probably pluck a guy who falls out of that tier or be in the middle of the following tier in the 20’s.

I absolutely agree, the problem is that you need 2 to tango and I don't know who is going to be trading up. 

19 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I absolutely agree, the problem is that you need 2 to tango and I don't know who is going to be trading up. 

Yeah, I think we’ve identified a few candidates but realistically it’s historically been unlikely and you’re right it probably doesn’t happen. I do agree with what I think you were getting at, DL at 13 offers more of an immediate impact than a tackle would. Cancey on third downs, Van Ness could play behind JFM and eventually kick him inside and play across from Johnson. Murphy might offer something similar to Van Ness. Lots of those big long edges, Wilson too.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, derp said:

Someone mentioned a corner for the Saints, which could make sense in this class depending on when guys come off the board. Maybe an edge too.

Chargers are a good fit trade chart wise. Could see them moving up with the Jets for a tackle and our fans getting annoyed. I just don’t think a tackle at 13 makes a big impact on a win now team. Fine to address it but someone like Harrison or Wright in the 20’s if they can pull that and get an extra pick lines up nicer in my opinion.

Vikings going up for one of the QB’s (Levis) is still my favorite. Douglas negotiated a couple deals with them before (AVT trade up, Herndon) but I would guess both were pre Adofo-Mensah.

I agree, unless you get a prospect you love at 13 (presumably an OT) then I think trading down and giving yourself options is best.  They can easily turn around and sign fant/DJ Fluker to low end contracts for depth at T this year and then draft someone next year.  Or you can draft a guy that can play multiple spots have him start somewhere else (no idea where, probably only C). 

Yea I mean bikings definitely feel like they need to get a QB to develop behind cousins, but they also need a lot defensively with a new Scheme.  Same with Saints, they lost a lot of guys (I believe davenport signed somewhere else) so moving up for an edge makes sense, or a CB of which a few should be istting there.  Jets are in a good spot

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

The thing that would scare the crap out of me about Carter is the stuff I’ve  heard and was pointed out again in no uncertain terms in the post that @TomShane put out the other day that scouts questioned his love for football and that he plays when he feels like it. Guys like that don’t change.

5 hours ago, maury77 said:

The biggest debate internally is a matter of balancing short-term and long-term approaches. A scenario exists where Becton plays well this year, but there's a strong chance he's not brought back regardless... if he plays to the level he's capable of, he'll price himself out of our plans. Duane Brown is likely done after his contract expires regardless if he's a starter or a reserve, so they could wind up pinning themselves into a corner all over again in 2024, even if Max Mitchell shows significant development and worthy of being a starter. For this reason, the tentative "plan" is to add a blue-chip asset who could be a long-term tackle, but that was the case last year too... Sauce falling to 4 changed the plan. Could Carter or another defender do the same this year? Very possible. 

Having been said, I think the Jets are open to a few scenarios depending on how things shake out: 

• OL/T in round 1 + OL/C in round 2 + sign multiple FA DL
  • OL/T in round 1 + DL in round 2 + competition at C/sign Ben Jones 
  • DL at 13 + OL/T in round 2 (Freeland) + competition at C/sign C Ben Jones
  • DL at 13 + OL/C in round 2

The top 2 are most likely outcomes IMO. I think they wind up signing a few DL to compete but could be swayed into selecting someone like Mazi Smith, Tuli Tuipulotu, Adetomiwa Adebawore, Bryan Bresee, Keion White, or Gervon Dexter on day 2. As much as I like Calijah Kancey he'd be an extreme luxury at 13; he's perfect in the Solomon Thomas role as a sub-package 3-tech rusher but not a "starter" in the base defense. He'd be asked to line up a lot over the tackle which I'm not so sure he'll be able to do with his lack of length. If they take a DL in round 1 I think it would be because Carter falling into the Jets lap at 13 or someone like Tyree Wilson falling and forcing their hand, in which case they can figure it out by reassigning some of the roles (i.e. using JFM and Clemons inside more frequently). 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

The biggest debate internally is a matter of balancing short-term and long-term approaches. A scenario exists where Becton plays well this year, but there's a strong chance he's not brought back regardless... if he plays to the level he's capable of, he'll price himself out of our plans. Duane Brown is likely done after his contract expires regardless if he's a starter or a reserve, so they could wind up pinning themselves into a corner all over again in 2024, even if Max Mitchell shows significant development and worthy of being a starter. For this reason, the tentative "plan" is to add a blue-chip asset who could be a long-term tackle, but that was the case last year too... Sauce falling to 4 changed the plan. Could Carter or another defender do the same this year? Very possible. 

Having been said, I think the Jets are open to a few scenarios depending on how things shake out: 

The top 2 are most likely outcomes IMO. I think they wind up signing a few DL to compete but could be swayed into selecting someone like Mazi Smith, Tuli Tuipulotu, Adetomiwa Adebawore, Bryan Bresee, Keion White, or Gervon Dexter on day 2. As much as I like Calijah Kancey he'd be an extreme luxury at 13; he's perfect in the Solomon Thomas role as a sub-package 3-tech rusher but not a "starter" in the base defense. He'd be asked to line up a lot over the tackle which I'm not so sure he'll be able to do with his lack of length. If they take a DL in round 1 I think it would be because Carter falling into the Jets lap at 13 or someone like Tyree Wilson falling and forcing their hand, in which case they can figure it out by reassigning some of the roles (i.e. using JFM and Clemons inside more frequently). 

OR

We wait to pull the trigger on the Rodgers trade until after the Draft. We then have this luxury....

OL/T in round 1 + OL/C in round 2A + DL in round 2B

22 minutes ago, football guy said:

I'm not necessarily sure the Becton would price himself out. He's had an injury-riddled career that is going to affect (to some degree) his value on the open market. Additionally, the Jets do have some space next year. They currently have the 13th most space (that will change once Rodgers gets traded and Quinnen gets extended

34 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I'm not necessarily sure the Becton would price himself out. He's had an injury-riddled career that is going to affect (to some degree) his value on the open market. Additionally, the Jets do have some space next year. They currently have the 13th most space (that will change once Rodgers gets traded and Quinnen gets extended

The issue that the Jets will have is that Becton turned it on only when he had to turn it on. They certainly expect him to have a good season and can fit a contract within their payroll, but don't foresee a scenario where he's getting re-signed to a long-term deal. Franchise tag? Sure if he proves worth it, but not a long-term deal. He'd have to take a significant discount for the Jets to offer one and either way I don't think they want to put themselves in a situation with so many "if's" when it comes to the long-term stability of the OL...  

"if" Max Mitchell takes another step... "if" Becton stays healthy and plays well... "if" Becton isn't valued highly on the open market and returns via franchise-tag or team friendly deal... see where I'm going with this?

The Jets would rather have another blue-chip asset who can play G or T that allows them to play the best 5 going forward. If Becton and Mitchell prove to be freaking studs and are brought back for 2024, they would simply move on from the 32 year old Tomlinson and play the 2023 pick at LG until further notice

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

The issue that the Jets will have is that Becton turned it on only when he had to turn it on. They certainly expect him to have a good season and can fit a contract within their payroll, but don't foresee a scenario where he's getting re-signed to a long-term deal. Franchise tag? Sure if he proves worth it, but not a long-term deal. He'd have to take a significant discount for the Jets to offer one and either way I don't think they want to put themselves in a situation with so many "if's" when it comes to the long-term stability of the OL...  

"if" Max Mitchell takes another step... "if" Becton stays healthy and plays well... "if" Becton isn't valued highly on the open market and returns via franchise-tag or team friendly deal... see where I'm going with this?

The Jets would rather have another blue-chip asset who can play G or T that allows them to play the best 5 going forward. If Becton and Mitchell prove to be freaking studs and are brought back for 2024, they would simply move on from the 32 year old Tomlinson and play the 2023 pick at LG until further notice

This is exactly why you run, not walk, away from Carter. Multiple scouts have said he plays when he feels like it. Hard pass.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Would also add that the market for Orlando Brown was surprisingly light…teams may be wising up a little to tackles who hit FA.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

What do you think is their ranking of OL (if picked at 13)?