My Corey Davis Replacement Wishlist

SoFlaJets

3 hours ago, jNYC1 said:

Unpopular opinion but...

In today's wide receiver market, Corey Davis' contract has value.  It would be hard to replace his potential production and blocking at cost in free agency.  And yes, I understand he has dropped passes.  Personally more concerned about his injuries.  Value his blocking and believe he is a more than a solid WR2/3 with a competent QB.

Lastly, I believe we need to continue to build the WR core, but it can't be overstated how much having piss poor QB play impacts WR production.  THe anemic passing offense makes it easy to think that Davis is not a productive receiver.

I think we would be fine running it back with a WR core of Wilson, Elijah, Davis, a rookie, Mims, and J Smith.  Add in the TE weapons, and RBs out of the backfield and a competent QB has more than enough playmakers to work with on offense.

I would be disappointed if Davis is cut but could understand if we need the money for O-line or QB.  I just don't think we will be improving the WR corp through free agency, and don't believe we will match his veteran production with a rookie likely picked later in the draft given our needs.

I think he’s definitely a goner unless he agrees to a paycut.  I’d love to have him back at around $5m next season, possibly with some incentives.  He’s well liked in the lockeroom and brings something different to the WR room.

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think he's trash; he's just not a guy who the QB should have to force the ball to 100x because there's so little else. I think he'll get overpaid because of his size, though, and I don't know that he's earned the 2 guaranteed seasons he might garner as a FA. If he can be had in the $6MM range, with teams feeling 800 yards is his realistic ceiling (and a good chance of just 500 yards even if he's an every-week starter), then he'd be a good fit on this team that doesn't need him to be the go-to guy. 

I tend to think they need a 30+ Marvin Jones type for $5MM than Lazard at more than double. Just a tall receiver who will win matchups against smaller corners for 3rd down targets rather than someone who needs 80-90 targets on 800-900 snaps. Maybe Mims as well, but I wouldn't fault the team for seeking out a more proven veteran. Thielen was mentioned & think he'd be a good option there. Chark might be, too, if he could stay on the field (though when it doesn't happen for their home team, fans tend to overlook his dropping 10% of his targets in a way they never would if it happened here).

Garrett Wilson's potential aside, I'd be really interested in seeing what Moore can do with a top QB week after week. He was good for ~50/game when they actually threw the ball his way 5x or more, and that was with Flacco-Wilson-White, not an elite passer like Rodgers (nor even a 10-15 guy like Carr). Mims...hard to say, other than of course I'd welcome a huge turnaround; he's still only 25. It'd be an understatement to say he & Moore haven't exactly had elite WR coaching to coincide with the QB typically being sucky. But I expect nothing, and the team can't reasonably be expected to rely upon the unexpected.

His 2022 season was an off year for what Lazard has been in his career. He was targeted 100 times and caught 60 of those passes. He's has been about 5 points higher in targeted efficiency over his 5 year career. He could be this Jets teams' Braylon Edwards. Now if we could only have Breece Hall put up Thomas Jones 2009 and '10  like numbers and  those 27 TDs. Also, S.E. I think the Jets need to move on to find a better #2 back than Michael Carter and be someone who can legitimately fill-in for Breece Hall - just..in...case.

1 hour ago, SoFlaJets said:

His 2022 season was an off year for what Lazard has been in his career. He was targeted 100 times and caught 60 of those passes. He's has been about 5 points higher in targeted efficiency over his 5 year career. He could be this Jets teams' Braylon Edwards. Now if we could only have Breece Hall put up Thomas Jones 2009 and '10  like numbers and  those 27 TDs. Also, S.E. I think the Jets need to move on to find a better #2 back than Michael Carter and be someone who can legitimately fill-in for Breece Hall - just..in...case.

Could be, but the problem is he's going to get paid like a starter who'd get targeted 100x and the Jets don't need that. 

I'm not ready to dump Carter at this point; there was so much wrong with the offense that - with a new QB, OC, OLC and run game coordinator, and in a sense two new tackles and a new center - I'm not writing off anybody for good just yet.

• As a rookie, Carter was one of the NFL's top tackle-breakers and was hella fun to watch. I doubt very much that ability was suddenly gone at age 23.
  • Knight looked more than serviceable as well, in place of Hall, until the offense demonstrated there was no serious threat to pass the ball on 1st downs or on 2nd & very short, like a proper offense uses to punish defenses.

I'm also good with them bringing in another body -- particularly given the need to plan for Hall not being Hall again right away (and possibly not for most/all of the 2023 season). Plus by the time they'd reached that last month-ish, the only healthy planned-starters were Tomlinson (who seemed to go on a siesta this whole season) and McGovern (who's fine, but isn't exactly Mawae Part II).

These guys have obvious and ample-enough talent & speed. They all don't need Hall's RB1 skills lest the offense falls apart.

It’s either Johnston at 13 or check out this kid from Wake Forest, AT Perry. 6 foot 5 inches and had some decent games against good opposition. Should be available in round 3. The Jets are not looking for a number one anymore. G Wilson has that covered. They need a big body number 2 with Elijah in the slot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

On 1/27/2023 at 10:38 AM, bla bla bla said:

Rumor was Hopkins wants a new deal, I'm not overly interested in paying $30m per year for him. If he wants to ring hunt and convert his remaining 2 years into guaranteed money then that's a different story

if you can get a nice pick / player for Davis, cheap options are vets Mack Hollins or Julio Jones. 1-2 year stopgaps but talented. Hollins a UFA and played w/Carr

On 1/27/2023 at 11:25 AM, maury77 said:

Given that the team needs to sign a QB and possibly multiple OL, I don't believe the Jets will be able to spend big $ on a WR. My preferred options would be to:

a. Bring back Davis on a restructured deal to free up more cap room; or

b. Cut Davis and grab a WR in the second or third round (Rashee Rice, Jalin Hyatt and Jonathan Mingo are intriguing options to me). 

Far too logical.  Plus this is a message board, so if you aren’t demanding to pay $30 mil for a WR or taking that “can’t miss” guy in 1st round you aren’t doing it right.  

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2023 at 12:21 PM, BCJet said:

If Lazard is significantly cheaper then Davis, then I agree he would be a great fit.  Davis' best season prior to coming here was 65-984 and Lazard is similar in that his best year was 60-788, so im not sure that he will be that much cheaper.

If Rogers lands here though, I could see him being more interested and possibly not requiring as much of a contract $$$ number.

200 fewer yards is not really all that similar.

On 1/27/2023 at 10:42 AM, football guy said:

I don't know that he'll be available, but Adam Thielen is a guy I would imagine we'll have interest in if we move on from Corey Davis. 

Ultimately I'm not so convinced that CD will be gone. I think there's a chance he considers a pay-cut in exchange for a guaranteed salary

I'm so sick of injury prone players on this team. JD has got to let go of his wet dreams of injury prone players doing well.  The ending is rarely happy.   If he brings in Garoppolo it will be the icing on the cake.  

12 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

If Xavier Hutchinson is there for us in the 3rd it should be an easy pick.

Can this guy step in and be a day 1 starter? If JD brings Rodgers here and is all in for a superbowl I don’t think a 3rd rounder is gonna be an integral part of the offense 

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

If Rodgers is coming we’re all in for a Super Bowl. Douglas will be bringing in a big name receiver to round out this offense 

Like? Hopkins? That’s big bucks. Don’t think we could afford his salary or that of OJB. I agree JD would have to get a veteran WR for Rodgers to fall on. But who?

Just now, Maynard13 said:

Like? Hopkins? That’s big bucks. Don’t think we could afford his salary or that of OJB. I agree JD would have to get a veteran WR for Rodgers to fall on. But who?

Like I mentioned I think some of these guys would come maybe “cheap” to ring chase. OBJ has been linked to Rodgers for some time now. Maybe Mike Evans becomes available. I’d see it as a similar situation to when Brady went to in TB where a guy like AB pretty much went there for nothing to win a ring 

10 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Can this guy step in and be a day 1 starter? If JD brings Rodgers here and is all in for a superbowl I don’t think a 3rd rounder is gonna be an integral part of the offense 

He's a projected 2nd rounder and has a pretty complete game, it would be a great pick in the third. At 6'3 205 hes got  prototypical size to fill the desired CD role. You bring  him in to hedge against the uninspired pick ups of JAGs like Lazard or Hollins who should not be an integral part of this "superbowl" offense.

Delusions of grandeur aside you keep bringing good young football players at places of value. This player in the third looks like good value at a position/role we are looking for improvement.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Xavier-Hutchinson-WR-IowaState

On 1/27/2023 at 11:25 AM, BurntDice said:

Moore and mims are both talented but with sh*tty qb play and being in the doghouse they severely underperformed. 

I think the doghouse issue was more important than some think.

Lafluer said Mims skill set didn’t fit his game plan before he ever coached him a down and his handling of Moore’s development was terrible also.

Lafluer was here for his NEXT job only , when he didn’t see Zach Wilson being his short answer to a HC’ing position, he turned on him like a rabid dog , instead of trying to develop a future franchise QB, his hiring at age 33 to develop young players in an offense was very misguided.

That dude needs to grow up.

• Post of the Week 1

22 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Could be, but the problem is he's going to get paid like a starter who'd get targeted 100x and the Jets don't need that. 

I'm not ready to dump Carter at this point; there was so much wrong with the offense that - with a new QB, OC, OLC and run game coordinator, and in a sense two new tackles and a new center - I'm not writing off anybody for good just yet.

• As a rookie, Carter was one of the NFL's top tackle-breakers and was hella fun to watch. I doubt very much that ability was suddenly gone at age 23.
  • Knight looked more than serviceable as well, in place of Hall, until the offense demonstrated there was no serious threat to pass the ball on 1st downs or on 2nd & very short, like a proper offense uses to punish defenses.

I'm also good with them bringing in another body -- particularly given the need to plan for Hall not being Hall again right away (and possibly not for most/all of the 2023 season). Plus by the time they'd reached that last month-ish, the only healthy planned-starters were Tomlinson (who seemed to go on a siesta this whole season) and McGovern (who's fine, but isn't exactly Mawae Part II).

These guys have obvious and ample-enough talent & speed. They all don't need Hall's RB1 skills lest the offense falls apart.

The 2022 Jets really reenforced that whole "it all starts with the big fatties up front " meme. Plus LeFleur's play calling was so predictable that by the 3rd game everyone in the stadiums knew it was going to be a run to the inside that would go for maybe a yard or two. That OC had no balls it was all vanilla all the time, gone were any trick plays, the handoff then throw back to the QB and a pass to a streaking WR, maybe it was because of the probable pick-6 outcome on the throwback

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Dcat said:

I'm so sick of injury prone players on this team. JD has got to let go of his wet dreams of injury prone players doing well.  The ending is rarely happy.   If he brings in Garoppolo it will be the icing on the cake.  

Exactly! I really hope this team does something with the training staff and maybe eventually both teams will come to realize that the giant A/C unit's turf is causing some devastating injuries. I never seen so many guys go down on non-contact plays