Rams hire Lafleur

Rhg1084

13 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

@playtowinthegame also…

That’s not the point though, is it? The point was that Saleh was apparently telling the truth when he said LaFleur told him he had better career options available to him, and he wanted to take one of them.

Jet fans can try to spin this as much as they want, but LaFleur made a smart career move getting out of here, and now we get to convince ourselves that LaFleur was the reason our offense stunk, and Hackett is an upgrade who will save the day by bringing Aaron Rodgers here to win multiple Super Bowls.

Same as the Jets now that we have Hackett … amirite?

Yeah MLF having other opportunities was a result of nepotism not performance I was arguing that he didn't do a very good job not that he wouldn't get another one.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Pretty lame plan.  If things go south mid-season next year Saleh should be canned.   There should be no scenario with or without Lefleur as the OC where Saleh is off the hook for the team if it goes off the rails next year. 

Lefleur made the right move to get out from under Saleh.   He was setting him up to take the fall for him.  

I think that's a more rigid characterization of it. MLF knows the drill and when he signed here he knew the reason why Greg Knapp was being brought in here. He also knew why the Jets wanted to return to that, he knows its a production business. Coordinators get fired mid-season every year if they don't produce. Just how the business works. 

Imagine the Jets maintained the status quo, went out and traded for Aaron Rodgers, the offense came out flat and there was feuding in the building? Who on our staff is taking over his duties if Rodgers is struggling to work with him and it got to a point where ownership tells Saleh you have to fire this guy in week 8? Always have to have a contingency plan and Rob Calabrese at this point of his career isn't a great one. 

7 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Leaving a Saleh staff to join a McVay staff is like going from the fry cook at McDonalds to a line chef at a 4 star restaurant.

McVay's staff has more turnover than McDonalds. Pretty soon that sh*t catches up. They've been plucked to death due to their success. Nathaniel Hackett could have sat on a couch and collected the same money he's getting working for the Jets. Something must be happening behind the scenes to make us that attractive. No way he comes here if he's told Zach Wilson is the starter.

• Haha 1

Just now, playtowinthegame said:

McVay's staff has more turnover than McDonalds. Pretty soon that sh*t catches up. They've been plucked to death due to their success. Nathaniel Hackett could have sat on a couch and collected the same money he's getting working. Something must be happening behind the scenes to make us that attractive. No way he comes here if he's told Zach Wilson is the starter.

1. Do you really need a list of coaches who get fired and go back to coordinator jobs while still getting a HC salary from their previous job?

2. What makes you think they would tell anyone Zach is the starter? Nobody thinks that’s a possibility. (other than Zach, lol)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m sure McVay’s thought process when looking for a new OC was “Hmmm, who is available that really sucks? That’s the guy I want…”

Call me crazy, but I trust McVay’s opinion more than fans on a message board.

I look at the 49rs wanting to trade up with JD to get Zach in much the same way. They know talent and how to develop  it. That’s why they are going to bring people in here finally who know how to develop a QB. Call me crazy, but I trust Lynch and  Shanahan more than MLF.

1 minute ago, football guy said:

I think that's a more rigid characterization of it. MLF knows the drill and when he signed here he knew the reason why Greg Knapp was being brought in here. He also knew why the Jets wanted to return to that, he knows its a production business. Coordinators get fired mid-season every year if they don't produce. Just how the business works. 

Imagine the Jets maintained the status quo, went out and traded for Aaron Rodgers, the offense came out flat and there was feuding in the building? Who on our staff is taking over his duties if Rodgers is struggling to work with him and it got to a point where ownership said you have to fire this guy in week 8? Always have to have a contingency plan and Rob Calabrese at this point of his career isn't a great one. 

Get real going out and getting Rodgers isn't Saleh or JD's plan.  If it happens it's all Woody.  Saleh is trying to hold onto his job.  That's his plan. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

1. Do you really need a list of coaches who get fired and go back to coordinator jobs while still getting a HC salary from their previous job?

2. What makes you think they would tell anyone Zach is the starter? Nobody thinks that’s a possibility. (other than Zach, lol)

In your world David Gettleman retired, Mike Lafleur dumped the Jets, and the Jets coaching staff is like working for McDonalds.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

That’s nothing but your opinion, so it’s fine. You’re entitled to believe whatever you want.

In another universe however, one of the 5 best HC’s in the NFL chose that guy you’re talking about as his OC, didn’t he?

Just out of curiosity, how many coaches do you think would kill for that opportunity?

Coaching a bunch of overpaid veterans who has one year of success and will likely be a sh*tshow for the next several years and you don’t get to call plays? Not many. It’s a dead end job. Would much rather coach a young team with draft picks and upside. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I don’t think it is, and as for Gettleman? Yeah. That’s what they did, isn’t it?

You're being purposely naive. Gettleman was about to be kicked to the curb but the Giants wanted to handle it with class after firing his 2nd FAILURE at head coach. Gettleman was NOT getting another opportunity to hire a 3rd head coach for the Giants. The Giants gave him a choice - Walk away into the retirement sunset or get sh*t canned. 

• Upvote 1

Isn't it possible that both the team and its prior OC went on to better matches?

Jets were in need of someone more veteran, who'd had experience with more than just the SF offense he left, ultimately overseen & offense installed by someone else. Plus there's only so much Saleh could - or would - do with him, given the personal relationship with both LaFleur and his brother, Saleh's BFF.

The team was too young to give to a first time OC with a DC-turned-HC (also in his first gig) above him. That the team handled the QB position so poorly was only additive to make it that much worse. Then add in the lack of meshing personality-wise and it helped still less.

Shift over to the Rams: veteran HC who was arguably the team's de facto OC; veteran QB; veteran WRs (all like MLF had in San Fran). Further, it'll make LaFleur better-rounded as a coach for the future, being forced to do something that isn't exclusively in his comfort zone. Likewise, the players can still go to the coach to lay out gripes without knowing the HC has a separate personal relationship with said OC.

Even if MLF enjoys better success with the Rams than he had here (which is hardly far-fetched), that doesn't mean it was wrong to dump him, as he'd given so little indication that would've happened here anyway.

Anyway it could be, given the stark differences between the two teams & their HCs, that these were moves that both sides should have made at this time.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

You're being purposely naive. Gettleman was about to be kicked to the curb but the Giants wanted to handle it with class after firing his 2nd FAILURE at head coach. Gettleman was NOT getting another opportunity to hire a 3rd head coach for the Giants. The Giants gave him a choice - Walk away into the retirement sunset or get sh*t canned. 

I have to admit, I’m impressed. I had no idea the Giants and Jets actually consult with you on personnel matters.
All this time I thought you were giving your opinions in this thread, and I was merely mentioning what actually happened. 

• Thumb Down 1

Bobby Salad was literally at the podium between year 1 and year 2 bragging about how they had to get Calabrese ready because they were fully expecting LaFleur to get poached (for an NFL HC job) 

LaFleur went from a “future HC they were counting themselves lucky to have” to essentially “gutter trash who can’t coach and who ruined ZW” in the span of 4 months.

Saleh is going to get fired. I just hope the next HC has some brains and integrity.
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

The guy didn’t develop anyone here.  Not a loss.  For his sake I hope he figures it out later.  Don’t care.  Doesn’t make firing him wrong if he does.  He was a 0 and you can’t risk a 3rd season hoping he learns on the job. 

Are you talking about Saleh here or…

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

It should be safe to say that McVay and Saleh have very different needs at OC. Saleh needs someone to install and implement an offense, whereas McVay needs a lackey. This is probably more of a favor to be repaid down the road.

Worked out pretty well for Zac Taylor and Mikey’s older bro

Bengals and Packers aren’t complaining either

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, section314 said:

I look at the 49rs wanting to trade up with JD to get Zach in much the same way. They know talent and how to develop  it. That’s why they are going to bring people in here finally who know how to develop a QB. Call me crazy, but I trust Lynch and  Shanahan more than MLF.

Sounds great, but so far we’ve gotten Hackett and some guy the Titans fired.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Isn't it possible that both the team and its prior OC went on to better matches?

Jets were in need of someone more veteran, who'd had experience with more than just the SF offense he left, ultimately overseen & offense installed by someone else. Plus there's only so much Saleh could - or would - do with him, given the personal relationship with both LaFleur and his brother, Saleh's BFF.

The team was too young to give to a first time OC with a DC-turned-HC (also in his first gig) above him. That the team handled the QB position so poorly was only additive to make it that much worse. Then add in the lack of meshing personality-wise and it helped still less.

Shift over to the Rams: veteran HC who was arguably the team's de facto OC; veteran QB; veteran WRs (all like MLF had in San Fran). Further, it'll make LaFleur better-rounded as a coach for the future, being forced to do something that isn't exclusively in his comfort zone. Likewise, the players can still go to the coach to lay out gripes without knowing the HC has a separate personal relationship with said OC.

Even if MLF enjoys better success with the Rams than he had here (which is hardly far-fetched), that doesn't mean it was wrong to dump him, as he'd given so little indication that would've happened here anyway.

Anyway it could be, given the stark differences between the two teams & their HCs, that these were moves that both sides should have made at this time.

I think the bonus feature with Hackett is that he doesn’t need this job. He’s already paid and is doing this strictly to stay active instead of taking up pickleball. LaFleur had ambitions of being a head coach and saw Wilson as a major roadblock toward achieving that, so it ended up with a coach who hated the bust QB, which spilled over to ruining the entire project altogether. They committed way too much time and capital in developing a kid who, at the end of the day, was afraid of getting beat up by defensive linemen. Hard to recover from that reality. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Smartest young coach in the league hires this guy as soon as he escapes the Jets and there are fans pretending the Jets are the ones who know what they’re doing here.

LaFleur made an elite career move — this shows you exactly what people in the know think of the Jets. He’ll probably be a HC in three years.

Nah, that can’t be it.
The guys on this message board know more about judging  football coaches than McVay does. Just ask them.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BurntDice said:

There’s a huge difference in these two scenarios. Here MLF is THE guy for the offense. He designs the playbook, calls the plays, and everything else. With the rams he probably won’t even be calling plays. He’s not installing his system. He’s just helping mcvay with the offense. That’s a massive difference in responsibilities 

2 hours ago, dcJet said:

This new job isn't the same as his old job.

Saleh gave MLF complete control over the offense - Choose the coaches, Install the offense, make the game plans, assign the personnel packages, call the plays and coach up the players.

Now, in his new job, he does none of that.

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Mike Lafleur is going to be Sean McVay's assistant on offense with the title of OC. It's still McVay calling the shots. 

So basically he will be doing the same thing that Hackett did with Green Bay, his only moderately successful seasons.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Smartest young coach in the league hires this guy as soon as he escapes the Jets and there are fans pretending the Jets are the ones who know what they’re doing here.

LaFleur made an elite career move — this shows you exactly what people in the know think of the Jets. He’ll probably be a HC in three years.

Hired by another one of his big bro's good friends, yeah NFL teams were falling all over each other to sign him up ... 

“It’s cool to have because he’s one of my closest friends and sometimes the things that you go through, you can relate to one another, and we have similar values,” McVay said. “We’ve been both very fortunate that things have gone relatively well and I think it’s helpful to be able to lean on somebody. Sometimes they say what, misery loves company? You’ve got another great friend that whether it’s good for them or they’ve had some struggles or vice versa for us, just being able to have somebody that you can talk to that you’ve had a great relationship with for a long time. He’s handled it really well. I’ve said to him, I’ve been so impressed with just watching the consistency and the steadiness at which he’s handled things and I think it’s reflected with the way that they’ve responded and in a lot of good instances based on some of the things that they’ve gone through as well. Love Matt, he’s a good friend of mine.”

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2022/12/18/rams-sean-mcvay-matt-lafleur-friends-packers/

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Saleh deserved to be fired more than LaFleur.

Bobby threw his “friend” under the bus to (temporarily) save his own skin and appease his GM.

Oh my God. Are we still pushing the Mike White and Joe Flacco fluff passing yards narrative? They didn’t win games with either guy. Not saying Zach was better. Just saying, stop with the MLF apparent success without Zach. How did they do in the last two games of the season with White and Flacco? MLF was a terrible OC. No amount of meaningless fluff yards will change that. 

• WTF? 1

Just now, JETS SB said:

Oh my God. Are we still pushing the Mike White and Joe Flacco fluff passing yards narrative? They didn’t win games with either guy. Not saying Zach was better. Just saying, stop with the MLF apparent success without Zach. How did they do in the last two games of the season with White and Flacco? MLF was a terrible OC. No amount of meaningless fluff yards will change that. 

Praising yards is such a poor way to view things. Does the team with the most yards win the game? Heck no they don’t. The team with the most POINTS does, which this team was terrible at scoring 

• Upvote 1