Rams hire Lafleur

Rhg1084

9 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Smartest young coach in the league hires this guy as soon as he escapes the Jets and there are fans pretending the Jets are the ones who know what they’re doing here.

LaFleur made an elite career move — this shows you exactly what people in the know think of the Jets. He’ll probably be a HC in three years.

Everyone knew he was going to the Rams.  You act like this is some sort of revelation.  He won't be calling plays and essentially will be McVay's assistant and side kick. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, undertow said:

I think MLF will def end up being a better coach if he has self awarness and learns from his mistakes. 

According to some of the geniuses here, McVay's hiring LaFLeur proves he is a good OC and that he is free from fault from shtting the bed here with the Jets.    LOL.  He'll make a great assistant and hopefully will learn how to the job while following McVay.  But he was awful here and the players despised him.

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Dcat said:

According to some of the geniuses here, McVay's hiring LaFLeur proves he is a good OC and that he is free from fault from shtting the bed here with the Jets.    LOL.  He'll make a great assistant and hopefully will learn how to the job while following McVay.  But he was awful here and the players despised him.

There's never any nuance everything needs to be a hot take or sides need to be taken....there's enough blame to go around but I agree he wasn't good at adjusting and wasn't a good communicator from what I'm hearing....Laflaeur got another job so quickly because his last name is Lafleur.

20 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

That’s nothing but your opinion, so it’s fine. You’re entitled to believe whatever you want.

In another universe however, one of the 5 best HC’s in the NFL chose that guy you’re talking about as his OC, didn’t he?

Just out of curiosity, how many coaches do you think would kill for that opportunity?

An opportunity to not have your opinion or voice heard…there wouldn’t be many.

Obviously you are a fan of MiLF, what was he good at? Because for the life of me I can’t think of one thing, and neither can this board.

LaFleur doesn’t suck. I understand that most fans need him to, in order to mitigate all the Zach emotions, but he doesn’t suck.

Did he have high and low points? Yes.

Did he stock the OL with a bunch of whiffs outside if AVT? No.

Did he decide not to surround himself with senior personnel to compensate for his weak spots? No.

Year after year it’s one excuse ir another for why these QBs suck. Never the QB. We need a veteran mentor! We need a QB whisperer! We need 3-deep starting caliber QBs! We need veteran offensive guru to mentor the OC!

It’s always the same with the fans. Zach sucks. Mike White is a backup. Flacco is a corpse. The OL sucks. The offense is never going to thrive with that reality.

Blame who you want, but MLF is more good than bad and should continue to improve. I get why we parted ways, and I’m mostly fine with it, but he wasn’t the “root cause”.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Claymation said:

An opportunity to not have your opinion or voice heard…there wouldn’t be many.

Obviously you are a fan of MiLF, what was he good at? Because for the life of me I can’t think of one thing, and neither can this board.

My issues are…

1. it seemed like he was a convenient scapegoat here. If Saleh was going to go with such a young offensive CS and pair them with such young players, was it realistic to expect things to work well immediately?
2. He had no QB, and the OL was/is a mess. Without Hall we had no running game, and other than GW, our WRs were either jags, or stiffs.
3. if we were going to replace him (or anyone) do it with someone clearly better. If you’re not upgrading what’s the point? Instead we hired a guy that even the most optimistic of fans can only come up with “well, I guess if hiring Hackett gives us a better chance to get Rodgers, I’m okay with it…”  

Add to that the fact that one of the top 5 HCs (who can get the pick of the litter to join his staff) chose to hire him right away.
Guys on a message board whining he didn’t turn water into wine doesn’t make him incompetent.

12 hours ago, JETS SB said:

This is absolutely the worst take yet. The Rams are an aging team on the way down with no draft picks and we replaced a one year play caller and terrible offensive mind proven by his ineptness for most of the season and specifically the last 3 games of the season, when we needed a win to make it to the playoffs and we couldn’t score one TD against terrible defenses and we replaced him with an OC that has made it to 3 conference championships including bringing Blake Bortles to a title game. 

Who was fired in season following Jacksonville's playoff run which was very similiar to our playoff runs with Rex.  Great D and running game.   He absolutely failed to develop Bortles who regressed under him and pretty much became an ex NFL starter after he had him under his wing.  

Lefleur for all his faults,  the biggest one is he was not qualified to be an OC yet and the dopey HC hired him anyway, had the O doing well enough to win with Zach Wilson at QB when AVT and Hall were healthy. 

McVay is widely regarded as one of the top 3 coaches in the NFL.  Lefluer has a great opportunity because the NFL coaching community believes in him.  Saleh could barely speak to the NY press let alone suport his coaching staff in any tangible way.  It was a dumb hire by a clueless first time HC.  

FYI that doesn't mean Saleh won't get better but when he was hired he looked like a clueless dope for a year.  The way he handled the QB room during the season was idiotic.  He also did nothing to create a disciplined environment.

The Rams have something they can bank on.  A great HC and a front office that pulled off a SB win in the first year they were in a new building.   After next year as the cap goes up substantially they will be able to quickly rebuild.

The Jets rebuild so far has produced zilch.  The Rams rebuilt into two trips to a SB and a SB victory.  

Every team in the NFL is ageing until they get younger which is no guarantee of winning.

• Thumb Down 1

One thing that will be worth following is whether we see Elijah Moore return to relevance and even high-level production under Hackett?  I can't figure out how he went from promising rookie to forgotten man in one season.  I don't know if it was all on MLF, but it seemed to be since none of the QBs were throwing to him until the end of the season.

If he turns back into what we thought he could be next year, then switching OCs will have at least that one additional benefit.

11 hours ago, Dcat said:

Everyone knew he was going to the Rams.  You act like this is some sort of revelation.  He won't be calling plays and essentially will be McVay's assistant and side kick. 

McVay's assistand and side kick or Saleh's assistant and BFF little brother?  He upgraded big time. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

LaFleur doesn’t suck. I understand that most fans need him to, in order to mitigate all the Zach emotions, but he doesn’t suck.

Did he have high and low points? Yes.

Did he stock the OL with a bunch of whiffs outside if AVT? No.

Did he decide not to surround himself with senior personnel to compensate for his weak spots? No.

Year after year it’s one excuse ir another for why these QBs suck. Never the QB. We need a veteran mentor! We need a QB whisperer! We need 3-deep starting caliber QBs! We need veteran offensive guru to mentor the OC!

It’s always the same with the fans. Zach sucks. Mike White is a backup. Flacco is a corpse. The OL sucks. The offense is never going to thrive with that reality.

Blame who you want, but MLF is more good than bad and should continue to improve. I get why we parted ways, and I’m mostly fine with it, but he wasn’t the “root cause”.

What do you consider the good or high points? 

30 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

What do you consider the good or high points? 

lol, I'm old enough to remember when Flacco, Josh Johnson and Mike White all were able lace opposing teams in this offense, even with MLF calling 'teH bAd pLayZ', in addition to Zach beginning to show a little bit of promise... this year, sh*t went off the rails all over the place. I'm simply pointing out that removing 1 person from a multi-layer failscapade isn't going to 'fix it'. MLF had to go, he wasn't the right guy for this job, but more importantly it's the other efforts that the franchise makes that will make the difference...

1. Completely blow up and rebuild the OL. Build the whole thing around AVT in his natural position. 
  2. Find a legitimate veteran QB. Not some other teams backup that doesn't clearly distance himself from Zach and the awful bugaboo of 'potential' and 'flashes'.

Simply put, MLF had some soft spots that are common for early-career employees. It has all been over-embellished given the failure, because most humans need to be able to point and blame a single, easily-identified cause. If we don't fix the other sh*t, Hackett is just going to face the same problems... you can have the greatest strategy, culture, process in the world... if your team cannot execute, you are ****ed.

On 1/27/2023 at 5:52 PM, greenwichjetfan said:

He's going to crush it there while we're calling draws on 2nd and 18. Good for JD to release an offensive mind that one of the best offensive minds immediately hires to his staff. 

Goddamn I love your bite 

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

lol, I'm old enough to remember when Flacco, Josh Johnson and Mike White all were able lace opposing teams in this offense, even with MLF calling 'teH bAd pLayZ', in addition to Zach beginning to show a little bit of promise... this year, sh*t went off the rails all over the place. I'm simply pointing out that removing 1 person from a multi-layer failscapade isn't going to 'fix it'. MLF had to go, he wasn't the right guy for this job, but more importantly it's the other efforts that the franchise makes that will make the difference...

1. Completely blow up and rebuild the OL. Build the whole thing around AVT in his natural position. 
  2. Find a legitimate veteran QB. Not some other teams backup that doesn't clearly distance himself from Zach and the awful bugaboo of 'potential' and 'flashes'.

Simply put, MLF had some soft spots that are common for early-career employees. It has all been over-embellished given the failure, because most humans need to be able to point and blame a single, easily-identified cause. If we don't fix the other sh*t, Hackett is just going to face the same problems... you can have the greatest strategy, culture, process in the world... if your team cannot execute, you are ****ed.

If the best defense of LaFleur is that the offense scored some points last year in a four win season and then got worse the following year, that's more of an indictment than a defense. 

17 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

It means he wont be calling the plays...

His issue wasn't only calling plays,  it was calling players out when they made mistakes. Maybe he also learns how to be last rigid in his system watching McVeigh. 

On 1/27/2023 at 11:54 AM, extmenace said:

Lol, MLF is good enough to be mcvays OC but not good enough here. Everyone outside the organization knew that the QBs were killing this guy. He’ll be a HC candidate in a few short years. 

Yeah, QBs we’re killing him while he was killing the QBs. Milfy is terrible McAvay deserves him. Wait until he coaches mayfield when Stanford goes down, again.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Former #Jets OL coach John Benton is expected to interview for the same job on the #Rams staff, source said. He worked with new OC Mike LaFleur at NYJ, so plenty of familiarity.

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer

The Rams are hiring ex-Patriots TEs coach Nick Caley as their new tight ends coach, per sources. Caley interviewed for OC jobs with the Pats, Jets and Texans, and had inquiries for other jobs, but saw the Rams as the best fit.

On 1/29/2023 at 6:26 PM, rangerous said:

Yeah, QBs we’re killing him while he was killing the QBs. Milfy is terrible McAvay deserves him. Wait until he coaches mayfield when Stanford goes down, again.

Mayfield is better than any QB we had on the roster last year.

LaFleur will have a lesser role with the Rams - he's not calling plays, McVay is. It will be very difficult for fans to know if he's doing a good or bad job.

On 1/27/2023 at 4:46 PM, Warfish said:

He upgraded.

We downgraded.

What does MiLF do well as an Offensive Coordinator besides calling offensive plays against the Bears? 

1. His run game and play design are awful
  2. Can't scheme a player open
  3. Redzone offense was bad
  4. His offense failed to score a TD from an empty set formation, in spite of leading the league in that formation
  5. Threw multiple players under the bus including: Becton; Mims; Moore; and Zach
  6. Offense failed to score a TD in the midst of a playoff push in the last 3 games with 4 different QBs

If the Jets did in fact "downgraded" as you stated, then this team is "F#¢%ed".

• Sympathy 1

On 1/28/2023 at 12:19 AM, Dcat said:

According to some on this board working for the Rams as the OC vs working for Saleh is a demotion that will negatively impact Lefleurs future in coaching.  It's not laughable it's crazy.

On 1/27/2023 at 12:03 PM, Beerfish said:

I called this weeks and weeks ago.

Like good young players who you have to put up with rookie errors you can do the same for coaches or not.

At least we now can compare the rams vs the jets offense for the next 3 years.    Yay?

So with this logic we should compare the Rams v Jets offense the last two seasons?

Why wait?

20 minutes ago, Biggs said:

According to some on this board working for the Rams as the OC vs working for Saleh is a demotion that will negatively impact Lefleurs future in coaching.  It's not laughable it's crazy.

It should greatly help MLF to follow McVay around like a puppy in training.  McVay also needs to have him take command at player meetings and in general be more in contact with the players.  This is a necessary condition  (not a sufficient condition, mind you) for MLF to have a long and successful NFL career.  If he doesn't improve that flaw, his career will suck. 

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

It should greatly help MLF to follow McVay around like a puppy in training.  McVay also needs to have him take command at player meetings and in general be more in contact with the players.  This is a necessary condition  (not a sufficient condition, mind you) for MLF to have a long and successful NFL career.  If he doesn't improve that flaw, his career will suck. 

Who's Saleh following behind like a puppy in training?