Ian Rapaport on WFAN regarding Jets qb (no mention of Bill Belichick being a scumbag)

5 minutes ago, freestater said:

https://www.nj.com/sports/2023/01/nfl-insider-quells-aaron-rodgers-jets-rumors-but-pitches-another-qb-big-swing-for-joe-douglas.html

This to me ranks amongst the least attractive outcomes. Getting Garrapalo virtually guarantees Wilson playing a number of games. 

Feels like a damage control statement. Anything less than a Carr or Rodgers acquisition make the Hackett hire a fail.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

So, what he basically said is that Rodgers may not happen to the Jets because "he is currently under contract to the Packers and they would have to want to trade him".

Well, no kidding that is an impediment. BUT, Rodgers CAN make it difficult for the Packers to retain him, as well threaten retirement.

I don't believe that anyone did not already realize that there were barriers to Rodgers becoming a Jet. But certainly not barriers that have not been overcome before. 

• Upvote 1

Garropolo and draft a qb in the middle rounds.

That is the answer folks.  Patience.  We are doing it the right way.  Year 1 was > then year 2 and year 3 will be > as well.

Do not, under any circumstances, pay for the likes of rodgers/carr or trade drafts picks for a qb.

Stay the course!!!!!!!!  We are finally doing it right.  The results are there.  4 wins to 7 wins.  Thats improvement folks.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Rodgers gets everyone fired.  Dont do it Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 4
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 3
  • More Ugh 2

Just let the QB situation play itself out. Everything you hear thus far is rumors and here say. Other than Zach Wilson being the starter next season, pretty much every conceivable scenario is on the board from Rodgers, Jackson, Carr,  Brady, and Jimmy G. Heck I wouldn’t even rule out as unlikely as it is, a trade for Fields. We can always bitch and moan after the fact.

14 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

That is the answer folks.  Patience.  We are doing it the right way.  Year 1 was > then year 2 and year 3 will be > as well.

Do not, under any circumstances, pay for the likes of rodgers/carr or trade drafts picks for a qb.

Stay the course!!!!!!!!  We are finally doing it right.  The results are there.  4 wins to 7 wins.  Thats improvement folks.

My man… Jimmy G guarantees that Zach plays and throws dirt balls for a number of games. He has stayed healthy one time in his career. Jimmy G should be a last ditch effort if everything else falls through.

you can’t preach patience anymore to this fan base, and you can’t tell Joe and saleh to be patient when they could be unemployed next year. I’m not sure anyone saves their jobs but I’d be willing to bet that Rodgers and carr give them a better shot of employment over Jimmy g and some mid round qb 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

I think it’s a behind the scene deal already.  Rodgers & Hackett have more than likely been in conversation about where the best landing spot would be for their joined partnership. They’ve had good success together. It’s more than a shot in the dark. Green Bay has only so much of a stranglehold on Rodgers …1 - they’d like to get out of that insane contract 2 - Rodgers has a no trade clause and can veto a trade he doesn’t approve of and could retire and they’d get zippo for him. It may seem odd and premature for Douglas to hire Hackett after he utterly bombed in Denver. But hiring Hackett just seems there are clandestine agreements and conversations that were in place prior to his hiring. Or is JD just plain bugging out. 

Check This Out GIF

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

“Hey Siri, who are the top NFL GM and Head Coach prospects for 2024?”

Siri: “The only possible solution, through researching numerous years from my database of this organization’s futility in this respect, would be to contact a spiritual medium and hire Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry. I have already reached out to them and are open to working together. Make it happen JD”.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, usanyj said:

My man… Jimmy G guarantees that Zach plays and throws dirt balls for a number of games. He has stayed healthy one time in his career. Jimmy G should be a last ditch effort if everything else falls through.

you can’t preach patience anymore to this fan base, and you can’t tell Joe and saleh to be patient when they could be unemployed next year. I’m not sure anyone saves their jobs but I’d be willing to bet that Rodgers and carr give them a better shot of employment over Jimmy g and some mid round qb 

Add on top of that if Zach is THE project ... he will be learning from one of the all time great check down game managers. The only move better than this would be pulling Trent Dilfer  back from his post career coffin. Shoot for the Corvette ... get the Datsun.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, usanyj said:

Your so a troll.  Hackett is the qb whisperer just axe Russell Wilson 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

24 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I hate everything about what you choose to be.

I wish he could "choose" to at least be funny, while doing it.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

I think it’s a behind the scene deal already.  Rodgers & Hackett have more than likely been in conversation about where the best landing spot would be for their joined partnership. They’ve had good success together. It’s more than a shot in the dark. Green Bay has only so much of a stranglehold on Rodgers …1 - they’d like to get out of that insane contract 2 - Rodgers has a no trade clause and can veto a trade he doesn’t approve of and could retire and they’d get zippo for him. It may seem odd and premature for Douglas to hire Hackett after he utterly bombed in Denver. But hiring Hackett just seems there are clandestine agreements and conversations that were in place prior to his hiring. Or is JD just plain bugging out. 

jet fans are going to be so disappointed when Aaron rodgers doesn’t get traded here and we end up signing Jimmy g because he’s friends with Bobby salad

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

I think the obvious thing is Green Bay is asking for two firsts. Given Rodgers cap hit and salary he’s not really worth trading. But Green Bay is also in a bind if they keep him.  Rodgers keeps the hare apparent on the bench and maybe lafleur wants to start playing love.  So Green Bay will most likely come down with their trade demands.

1 hour ago, freestater said:

https://www.nj.com/sports/2023/01/nfl-insider-quells-aaron-rodgers-jets-rumors-but-pitches-another-qb-big-swing-for-joe-douglas.html

This to me ranks amongst the least attractive outcomes. Getting Garrapalo virtually guarantees Wilson playing a number of games. 

Rapoport could have just said “I don’t know, Aaron Rodgers doesn’t talk to me, but Don Yee sure does.” The rest is gobbledygook.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Garoppolo has been in SF for 6 years.  He has played 58% of games he could have played.  5 times riskier than shooting for Rodgers.

The acl kinda skews the data imo since it's a relatively limited sample size. He's closer to 78-80% if you omit that.

'17 - Traded mid season, 5-0 as starter

'18 - ACL, missed 13 games

'19 - Full Season, Super Bowl Loss

'20 - Ankle sprain, missed 2 games + reinjured ankle, missed final 8 games

'21 - calf strain, missed 1 game

'22 - foot fracture, missed final 6 games

He's definitely my 4th option, I'm hoping he's not our 2nd option.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I'd also posit that Jimmy G + an additional draft on the same level of this past years = we're a playoff team.

Not sexy, but not a bad move for us. Assuming we are able to acquire him as a FA, not via trade. I'd put Jimmy G in my top-5 possible outcomes re: QB, but not at the top of the list, obviously.

Jimmy garropolo pretty much guarantees we are playing Zach wilson at least 5 games next year. And likely more. He can't stay healthy and we shouldn't even consider him here. Last thing this team needs is another player who spends too much time healing injuries instead of actually playing

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, freestater said:

This always seemed like the most likely outcome to me.  To see JD taking the L on Zach after two years seemed a bit unlikely to me.  They'll want an upgrade that leaves the door open for Zachy boy to turn things around. 

13 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

Jimmy garropolo pretty much guarantees we are playing Zach wilson at least 5 games next year. And likely more. He can't stay healthy and we shouldn't even consider him here. Last thing this team needs is another player who spends too much time healing injuries instead of actually playing

Nothing "guarantees" that, no matter how many times grown men wail about it on the internet.

The Jets literally have Zach on the roster. They need a new starter, but it stands to reason they also need another QB. We cannot go into the season with a 2-player QB room.

I love arguing with jets fans on Twitter.  A guy actually just said that trading for Rodgers would set the franchise back a decade.  I guess this guy hasn’t watched the jets play since their afc champ game days, OVER a decade ago!  He said he doesn’t want Rodgers and doesn’t like any fa QBs.  I stopped responding.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I'd also posit that Jimmy G + an additional draft on the same level of this past years = we're a playoff team.

Not sexy, but not a bad move for us. Assuming we are able to acquire him as a FA, not via trade. I'd put Jimmy G in my top-5 possible outcomes re: QB, but not at the top of the list, obviously.

Jimmy G for 17 games + this year's team = playoffs

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

So, what he basically said is that Rodgers may not happen to the Jets because "he is currently under contract to the Packers and they would have to want to trade him".

Well, no kidding that is an impediment. BUT, Rodgers CAN make it difficult for the Packers to retain him, as well threaten retirement.

I don't believe that anyone did not already realize that there were barriers to Rodgers becoming a Jet. But certainly not barriers that have not been overcome before. 

But that begs the question . Why does Rodgers want to come here ?

21 minutes ago, football guy said:

A lot of people in the league feel all things equal, Jimmy Garoppolo is an equal if not better QB than Derek Carr. The problem with Jimmy G is that all things are not equal given his extensive injury history, but I think fans put so much weight into stats and not enough info down-to-down execution and situational football to the point where it seems like it’s not even a debate. The reason why guys like Parcells view QB “wins and losses” as a legitimate measure is because they feel if the QBs down-to-down, quarter-to-quarter, game-to-game process is correct, it will reflect in the W-L column. I personally don’t put to much weight into it but worth noting.

A lot of people point to the narrative that “Derek Carr has never played on a team with a good defense” and it’s not an unfair argument, but you also have to consider that his style of play also puts his defenses in tough positions. He’s had the second most INTs and pick-6’s by any active QB since 2014 and his red zone efficiency is very poor. I’m not going to put that all on him because there are a lot of other factors to evaluate, but defensive HCs who value ball control and efficiency are less likely to value Carr than a team who run more high-octane attacks with the mindset that you break defenses down by spreading things and speeding things up. I’m not going to say that Saleh doesn’t like Carr, but I know he values Jimmy because of what he brings to the table from an efficiency standpoint *when he is healthy*

The other aspect to it is commitment. Carr wants to go to a team who views and treats him as a franchise QB. He wants to be more involved with his new team’s personnel, he wants more say in football decisions, he wants a long-term commitment. I personally don’t see a team who will extend this treatment to him. Maybe Atlanta? But I feel like Carr will ultimately have to come down on his expectations if he hasn’t already because I don’t think many teams view him that way.

This is how I think the Jets look at it: 

• Aaron Rodgers is the best option, clearly. He optimizes everything you want in a QB and has proven to be one of the most efficient QBs in NFL history who has the explosive traits to embarrass teams or win a shootout if you have to. He’s Carr + Garoppolo combined but with more arm talent. Immediately leaves the building feeling comfortable that they are a legitimate contender assuming they make the necessary improvements to the OL (they will). 
  • After Rodgers, you’re splitting hairs between Carr and Garoppolo. On one hand, Carr is more durable and has greater upside + explosive traits which allow him the ability to hold his own in a shootout. On the other, he’s not necessarily a fit for what you want from an efficiency standpoint and will require a long-term commitment + draft picks. He also hasn’t proven to be a player you can consistently win with and may not fit within the kind of culture and identity the Jets want to establish. 
  • Jimmy is not as durable but you feel he is more of a “winner” that you trust will more consistently convert, sustain drives, and take care of the football. His style fits within the identity and culture the team wants to establish. He may not be a guy who is going to perform well in a shootout, but he’ll put the team in position to win every single game. He also won’t require draft picks or a significant long term commitment. 

Another aspect to all of this? You probably won’t know where Rodgers stands by February 15. Carr will either be traded or released by then and if he’s released, a number of teams (specifically NFC teams) will go full-court press on Carr because they know that no scenario exists where they can land Rodgers and may not want to wait for free agency to address the position. So if you’re the Jets and feel there’s a legitimate chance to land Rodgers, would you rather wait knowing that your backup plan is Jimmy, who you feel is an equal if not better option than Carr *if healthy* or do you abandon pursuit of Rodgers for Carr? 

Rodgers will be option 1 by a wide margin and there’s no doubt about it. The team understands what their up against in the AFC and Rodgers is the only QB potentially available who can go toe-to-toe with Allen, Burrow, and Mahomes. They also value what Rodgers would bring in terms of player development at WR and QB—do not diminish that aspect of all this. Fans role their eyes but building a sustainable winner is the priority, and part of that is by fostering a disciplined process-oriented environment that allows the team to continuously develop guys within their program, specifically at QB. That could be Zach Wilson or someone else, but that’s what JD and Saleh believe in. 

I think Option 2 will be Jimmy G. It’s not because they hate Carr, rather trust Jimmy more and he gives them more flexibility. If they were to get info suggesting Rodgers won’t happen, then it becomes more of a debate.

If JD really believed in developing QB's Saleh would never have been hired to be the HC.