Senior Bowl Primer: 5 Defensive Prospects to Watch for the Jets

JetNation

Senior Bowl

As I get ready to make my second down trip to Mobile, Alabama for the Reese’s Senior Bowl, I’ve decided to share a handful of prospects, both on offense and defense, that I think can catch the attention of Jets coaches and scouts throughout the week. After starting with the offensive side of the ball, here are five defensive prospects to watch for New York:

Dylan Horton, EDGE, TCU

Despite being a safety prospect coming out of high school, TCU’s Dylan Horton found a final position along the defensive line for the Horned Frogs. At a projected 6’4” 279lbs, Horton has a simple body frame as a recent Jets rookie: Michael Clemons. He has inside and outside versatility, playing just shy of 30% of his snaps at defensive tackle, according to PFF. Horton possesses a good array of pass rush moves, and his sack production is proof of that (10.5 sacks and 15.5 TFLs). Horton could be a potential Day 3 steal for the Jets, who will need to add talent to their front four.

Derick Hall, EDGE, Auburn

Staying along the defensive line, Auburn’s Derick Hall is another edge rusher that could be on the Jets radar. As many fans would agree, Bryce Huff is due for a new contract this offseason, and the Jets should do right and bring him back. On the off chance that they do not, Hall could be a similar rotational speed rusher replacement. He has great closing speed on the quarterback as a rusher, and can use his speed to get out to the boundary quickly in the run game. He has a handful of effective pass rush moves, mainly a long arm and a dip move. He had some missed tackles in the games I watched, as well as being removed from his run fit multiple times by interior offensive linemen. He may not be a perfect scheme fit, but if you asked him to specifically be an attacking edge presence for you, Hall could have a very good career in the NFL.

Byron Young, DT, Alabama

Sensing a theme here, Alabama’s Byron Young is the third and final lineman of this list. Much like Horton, Byron Young has inside and out versatility, playing anywhere from the ‘3-technique’ to the ‘5’. For his size of 6’3” 292lbs, Young moves well along the line, with good first-step explosiveness. He wins with his bullrush often, and has a very good swim move that helps him get into the backfield quickly. He has the speed to ‘run the arc’ quickly, with a good change of direction to cutback upfield to sack the quarterback. One of eight total Alabama players participating in the Senior Bowl, Young has top-100 potential.

DeMarvion Overshown, LB, Texas

A converted safety down to linebacker for the Longhorns, DeMarvion Overshown is one of the featured names at the Senior Bowl for the position. A true chess piece for a defensive coordinator, Overshown has played both MIKE and WILL, as well as slot and some end man on the line of scrimmage. He is a proficient blitzer, particularly when rushing through the A gap. He is disciplined when dropping into coverage, using good vision to read and react to plays. Overshown is a hard hitter of the middle of the field, but has a tendency to miss tackles. He gets a bit aggressive in the run game, which can cause him to overshoot rush lanes on occasion. With an obvious need at linebacker outside C.J. Mosley, Overshown checks all the boxes of a player the Jets could fall in love with.

Chris Smith II, S, Georgia

Speaking of falling in love, my final prospect is one that has easily become one of my favorites in the entire class. Georgia’s fifth year safety Christoper Smith II is one of three National Champions suiting up for the week of practice. At 5’11” 190lbs, Smith played multiple spots in the defensive secondary for the Bulldogs. He has above average ball skills and great closing speed on the ball. He has a smooth backpedal and can trigger quickly downhill. If he somehow lasts until the second round (unlikely), New York should be all-in on his services with the 43rd overall selection.

The post Senior Bowl Primer: 5 Defensive Prospects to Watch for the Jets appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...