Interesting nuggets from Rosenblatt on Jets OC search

Shocked people are upset we got rid of LaFleur.    There were numerous indications he lost the locker room, current reporting aside.  Pauline has been consistently wrong for over a year on his Jet takes so you can likely throw out his own reporting.

That said, Milf was part of the problem.  Don’t know if we upgraded or not but I doubt we downgraded and at the very least we have instilled some confidence back within that locker room.  An important factor regardless if the 2 coordinators are equal on paper, which they are NOT.

We have at the very least gotten a more flexible play caller, someone who will attempt to adapt his system to the Jet players.

As a sweetener on top, he might help attract a Hall of Fame QB who had his best 3 year run (age 35-37) with him as coordinator.

No downside, locker room willing to give him a shot and possible upside in Rodgers.

Yeah, let’s keep LaFleur.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

38 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I just read through and quoted from the Rosenblatt piece @Mogglez referred to. I am sure that LaFleur rubbed players the wrong way. I am even more than sure he rubbed players like Becton and Moore the wrong way. I am of the belief that when your quarterback is a statistical nightmare, there is a lot of frustration with a lot of things, and most of that frustration falls in the lap of the OC. Rosenblatt has reported that players generally like Zach Wilson, but they don’t think he can play football. Given the choice between blaming the OC or their teammates, they are going to blame the OC for not fixing the QB. None of this is to say that LaFleur is free from blame. There are, at any given time, 25 to 30 OCs who suck according the fan bases of those teams. My point is that saying that Mike LaFleur was the root cause of the Jets offensive problems is disproven by the fact that 1. Nobody else wanted the Jets OC job he just vacated and 2. McVay snapped him up ten minutes after the Jets let him go. If McVay didn’t hire him, the Chargers would have. With all due respect to Mogglez and football guy, they were both slurping Zach Wilson for the majority of the season, so maybe their information stream isn’t exactly objective.

1. I gave up on Zach after the first Patriots game.  My “information stream” has nothing to do with my own opinions.

2. With all due respect to you, this sudden defense of LaFleur is just your Adam Gase defense painted in a new color.  Turns out Gase just sucked.  Maybe, just maybe, LaFleur just sucks too.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Well, take it up with them, because I’m not a Zach slurper and I certainly never said LaFleur was the root cause of the Jets’ offensive problems. My point is that there is no evidence whatsoever that the issue was LaFleur being some throwback hardass and the players being too soft to handle it. If anything, it sounds a lot like it was the opposite.

My apologies. I am triggered by the annual tradition of watching playoff games while Jets fans settle in on the idea that the newly fired coordinator du jour was like Colonel Mustard in the Library with the Candlestick. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

1. I gave up on Zach after the first Patriots game.  My “information stream” has nothing to do with my own opinions.

2. With all due respect to you, this sudden defense of LaFleur is just your Adam Gase defense painted in a new color.  Turns out Gase just sucked.  Maybe, just maybe, LaFleur just sucks too.

The Gase and LaFleur issues are, indeed, similar in that they were, in large part, kneecapped by overwhelming institutional Jets problems that lead them to draft terrible kid quarterbacks and fingerpoint until they run out of fingers.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

The Gase and LaFleur issues are, indeed, similar in that they were, in large part, kneecapped by overwhelming institutional Jets problems that lead them to draft terrible kid quarterbacks and fingerpoint until they run out of fingers.

They’re both similar because they’re both sh*t coordinators who are completely incapable of being normal people on an emotional level.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My apologies. I am triggered by the annual tradition of watching playoff games while Jets fans settle in on the idea that the newly fired coordinator du jour was like Colonel Mustard in the Library with the Candlestick. 

We’re vibing, brother. I’ve been enjoying the playoffs until today. For some reason that DeVonta Smith catch that wasn’t a catch but ended up being a catch sent me into a tailspin. I actually said out loud “nothing that cool will ever happen to the Jets.” Been in a bad mood ever since.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

We’re vibing, brother. I’ve been enjoying the playoffs until today. For some reason that DeVonta Smith catch that wasn’t a catch but ended up being a catch sent me into a tailspin. I actually said out loud “nothing that cool will ever happen to the Jets.” Been in a bad mood ever since.

!!! I was also oddly upset by it and was audibly yelling “throw the flaaaaag” at Shanahan. And then again when Purdy started flexing his elbow. I responded by being mad at the Jets.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Kyle had Lance, Jimmy G, and Purdy all playing better than Wilson, or any of our other QBs, did so, no, he’s not garbage.  He’s a coach dealing with legitimate injury issues.  Also, I’m gonna need a pretty strong works cited on that “LaFleur didn’t want to draft Wilson” because that could not be further from the truth.  We have an entire 1JD episode going into detail why LaFleur loved Wilson, breaking down his BYU tape, and they had the second overall pick, which means they had their pick of the litter, not named Lawrence, but still chose Wilson.  Believing that Mike’s opinion didn’t matter on that is pure silliness.  If the QBs were dogsh*t, he had just as much of hand in picking up that dogsh*t as everyone else.

I’m not justifying anything regarding Joe Douglas or his moves; I have absolutely no idea what you are going on about at this point.  All I said from the jump is that Zach being a trash QB doesn’t make LaFleur a good coach, nor does it discredit the reports that half of the team didn’t like him, which is what really got him fired, as reported by multiple people at this point.  You’ve called him “our best option, despite what the media has said about him”, have continued to defend the guy by saying it’s all Wilson’s fault, and have been, quite frankly, aggressively defensive of him and against any sort of notion that he earned his own firing.  If you truly don’t think he’s “the bees knees”, you have an odd way of expressing it.

We’re going in circles. Everything above confirms that I’ve effectively captured both of our opinions below. 

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

So then what exactly are you doing in this thread? My entire point was that firing LaFleur was a stupid move by JD made entirely for self preservation because he chose a ******* garbage ass player #2 overall. And the reason it was a stupid move was because he was still our best option despite whatever is being said about him in the media.

You coming in with “yea so what if we downgraded to a clown show, it was still the right move because we can’t have zachy’s or mimsy’s feelings being hurt” isn’t exactly a gotcha either. 

I’m good with you getting the last word. Go Jets.

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Which football coaches would you describe as “normal people”?

E3AC0F35-3C84-4ABE-AF55-5876B1BEC37F.gif.ef6c44c3c4cb4af6f67e83b11aa7b3ec.gif

No but seriously, I’m a big John Harbaugh, Sean McDermott, and Bruce Arians (retired, I know) type of guy. Those 3 are the best “leader of men” types I have seen in the last few year, who communicate better than their peers.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Because he had Mike White and Joe Flacco who, while not being great, were legends compared to Zach, and he couldn’t score a single touchdown with 3 games to go and the season on the line.  

Also, like I said, the players still hated his abrasive and egotistical approach to coaching.

For the greater part of the season he had Zach. Both Flacco and White were able to move the team and they scored TD's but at the end of the day,  White and Flacco are also not good QB's, they are just better than Zach. The Jets choices at QB were, Not good, bad, and horrible. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

For the greater part of the season he had Zach. Both Flacco and White were able to move the team and they scored TD's but at the end of the day,  White and Flacco are also not good QB's, they are just better than Zach. The Jets choices at QB were, Not good, bad, and horrible. 

I agree with all of this.  I also would like to point out that Mike LaFleur was also a vital part in selecting that particular QB room, and he’s just as accountable as the rest of them.

49 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

party GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Shocked people are upset we got rid of LaFleur.    There were numerous indications he lost the locker room, current reporting aside.  Pauline has been consistently wrong for over a year on his Jet takes so you can likely throw out his own reporting.

That said, Milf was part of the problem.  Don’t know if we upgraded or not but I doubt we downgraded and at the very least we have instilled some confidence back within that locker room.  An important factor regardless if the 2 coordinators are equal on paper, which they are NOT.

We have at the very least gotten a more flexible play caller, someone who will attempt to adapt his system to the Jet players.

As a sweetener on top, he might help attract a Hall of Fame QB who had his best 3 year run (age 35-37) with him as coordinator.

No downside, locker room willing to give him a shot and possible upside in Rodgers.

Yeah, let’s keep LaFleur.

I said when there was rumors of him being canned that I would have no problem if he got fired as long as we replace him with someone better.  I do not see Nat Hackett as being better.  That is the issue with some of us naysayers.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I just read through and quoted from the Rosenblatt piece @Mogglez referred to. I am sure that LaFleur rubbed players the wrong way. I am even more than sure he rubbed players like Becton and Moore the wrong way. I am of the belief that when your quarterback is a statistical nightmare, there is a lot of frustration with a lot of things, and most of that frustration falls in the lap of the OC. Rosenblatt has reported that players generally like Zach Wilson, but they don’t think he can play football. Given the choice between blaming the OC or their teammates, they are going to blame the OC for not fixing the QB. None of this is to say that LaFleur is free from blame. There are, at any given time, 25 to 30 OCs who suck according the fan bases of those teams. My point is that saying that Mike LaFleur was the root cause of the Jets offensive problems is disproven by the fact that 1. Nobody else wanted the Jets OC job he just vacated and 2. McVay snapped him up ten minutes after the Jets let him go. If McVay didn’t hire him, the Chargers would have. With all due respect to Mogglez and football guy, they were both slurping Zach Wilson for the majority of the season, so maybe their information stream isn’t exactly objective.

You have no proof nobody wanted he Jets job.  The guy who took it had every not to take the job.  As for MLF and his 10 minute hire, he was hired the week after the Jets job was filled.  

I think MLF is a scapegoat for Zach being a complete bust. That being said, it seems like most the players hated him. Moore and Mims asked to be traded. Garrett Wilson called his playing calling predictable and Becton couldn’t stand him. I don’t see how he could come back with that group of players.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app