Share your brilliant mind - If not Hackett, then who?

JETS SB

10 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Seems like there are brilliant General Manager wannabees here, who hate the Hackett hire. Who would YOU have hired and why? With Hackett's obvious connection to Aaron Rodgers and what we are facing in a QB search and considering the guys who already turned us down and weren't interested, and our need for an EXPERIENCED OC.

1) All you ever do is whine about other Jets fans.

2) Reich, Joe Brady, or just keeping MLF would have all been better choices.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

There really is no better genre of JN thread than when some guy goes “oh so you think the Jets are stupid, huh??? [scoffs so hard he chokes on his own spit] well if you Einstiens are so smart riddle me this what would you have done” and like a dozen people immediately reply with astute, well-reasoned answers that are way better than whatever the Jets did.

I am waiting for those astute, well reasoned answers. Haven’t seen one yet. 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1) All you ever do is whine about other Jets fans.

2) Reich, Joe Brady, or just keeping MLF would have all been better choices.  

Reich got a HC job, Brady didn’t want to come here and MLF was terrible. But yeah, Jets fans are not too bright and you are not proving me wrong. 

Just now, sourceworx said:

Garrett Wilson broke rookie receiving records this year, and Breece Hall was on pace to be Rookie of the Year.

Both are special talents.   You can’t fill an 11 man roster with elite talent who can dominate athletically.  Moore regressed and often looked lost.    He couldn’t teach Mims the plays.  Too complicated and he’s not good at teaching details.  

5 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Both are special talents.   You can’t fill an 11 man roster with elite talent who can dominate athletically.  Moore regressed and often looked lost.    He couldn’t teach Mims the plays.  Too complicated and he’s not good at teaching details.  

The O-Line was good until the sheer number of injuries eventually took its toll.

Elijah was pissed because Captain Magic Underpants couldn't see past his first read.

Just now, sourceworx said:

The O-Line was good until the sheer number of injuries eventually took its toll.

OLine is tough with the injuries.  AVT made a nice leap.  Lakin Tomlinson was a massive and puzzling regression.  Incomplete grade at best. 

TEs - guys looked not as good as they used to on former teams or a promising rookie didn’t seem to be invested in. 

RBs: M Carter II had a huge drop off year 2.  He seemed to have something last year and MLF seemed to use him at his worst - running up the middle in a power game behind a decimated OLine.  No scheme flexibility.  Poor play calling did him no favors.   Breece Hall was awesome

11 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

...and why do you think Joe Brady didn't want to come here??????

That was not my point but to answer your question, he didn’t want to come here because of the QB situation and Saleh not having a stable position. That’s exactly why getting an experienced OC with a connection to a HOF QB, was our best option, considering what our other options were. 

And finishing with the QBs:

Mike White couldn’t score.   Scheme. Only improved when they pulled him onto the sideline for a few weeks.  Why can’t they work fundentals like every other team at every level of football?  

Zach Wilson - worse in year 2 in most ways than he was early season 1. 

RED ZONE 

The guy had no answers other than gimmick plays.  It was pathetic.  He was lost.  

20 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

OLine is tough with the injuries.  AVT made a nice leap.  Lakin Tomlinson was a massive and puzzling regression.  Incomplete grade at best. 

TEs - guys looked not as good as they used to on former teams or a promising rookie didn’t seem to be invested in. 

RBs: M Carter II had a huge drop off year 2.  He seemed to have something last year and MLF seemed to use him at his worst - running up the middle in a power game behind a decimated OLine.  No scheme flexibility.  Poor play calling did him no favors.   Breece Hall was awesome

O-Line looked good for a while, even street free agents like Ogbuehi played well. Things went downhill in a big way when George Fant came back, which tells me that JD was right in not giving him a big contract.

Our TEs were backups on their old teams. They performed like backups here. Not surprised.

Carter had a bad year overall. He was fantastic in the win against Buffalo, but fell apart after. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that he was fighting through an injury. Bam was a practice squad guy. Nothing special, and a little overrated on this board. 

I don't blame LaFleur for any of that.

9 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

O-Line looked good for a while, even street free agents like Ogbuehi played well. Things went downhill in a big way when George Fant came back, which tells me that JD was right in not giving him a big contract.

Our TEs were backups on their old teams. They performed like backups here. Not surprised.

Carter had a bad year overall. He was fantastic in the win against Buffalo, but fell apart after. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that he was fighting through an injury. Bam was a practice squad guy. Nothing special, and a little overrated on this board. 

I don't blame LaFleur for any of that.

29th in PPG.  17.4 a game won’t cut it.  

14 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I’m guessing the median numbers with and without 2 aren’t that different.  It’s also MLFs job to develop that guy that he wanted.  

MLF isn't a QB guru. That was Knapp's job until he unfortunately passed away. The guy they replaced him with was just forced onto LaFleur's replacement to coach the receivers, which I'm sure was INCREDIBLY alluring to prospective OCs. Woody's brilliance....

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

So?  

1. I wouldn't have fired MLF.  I don't think he was the problem, Zach (sucking) and White (fragility) and Flacco (check cashing) were.  JD is more to blame than MLF.

2. If I did fire MLF, it would have been part of firing Saleh too, and I would have hired Reich as the new Head Coach, and let him help pick his OC.

I believe Reich > Saleh.

Wake me we get Rodgers, at a cost that won't break the back of the franchise.

This. Just didn’t any sense to me to fire Lafleur but keep Saleh. It was obvious they weren’t going to be able to make a good hire that would be an obvious upgrade.

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

51 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This. Just didn’t any sense to me to fire Lafleur but keep Saleh. It was obvious they weren’t going to be able to make a good hire that would be an obvious upgrade.

Woody did not want to incur all of the breakage costs of a year 2 firing.  MLF was not up for this job.  He will do ok ok the long term, but he was not developing the mess that is Zach Wilson. Hackett was a Rodgers maybe Jimmy G bet.  If it fails the whole staff gets washed out next year with a top 5 draft pick. 

7 hours ago, k-met57 said:

lol how would getting rodgers break the back of the franchise? lets say we DO give up 2 first round picks.

we would immediately compete for the AFC championship next 1-2 seasons (as long as he plays)

he would cost us 40m over 2 years

A lot of hope and wishful thinking here.

7 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Let's face it. All the noted candidates were less than inspiring and we were gonna hate whomever they hired. Fact is, this is not an attractive job with so much uncertainty as far as job security. 

Also, we all thought MLF was the next hot shot coordinator that would blossom, and that didn't work. 

I guess I would have leaned more to olson if I had a choice after reading up about the candidates. Not sure he ever wanted to come here. 

Basically getting Hackett as OC and Carter as Oline coach and running game coordinator was the realistic best caee scenario. Reich was not coming here even as HC if Saleh was fired since the Carolina HC job is less pressure than the Jets. All other OC candidates either would not come here or would not have much experience which we needed an abundance of right now.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

On 1/29/2023 at 1:38 AM, JETS SB said:

Seems like there are brilliant General Manager wannabees here, who hate the Hackett hire. Who would YOU have hired and why? With Hackett's obvious connection to Aaron Rodgers and what we are facing in a QB search and considering the guys who already turned us down and weren't interested, and our need for an EXPERIENCED OC.

There’s 35 or so pages on the board whining about Hackett, half based on his father and last name without a single option

No matter who was picked the complaining would be the same.  When Bevel was rumored to be a target there was whining.  Now he’s not.  Brady, there were complaints when he was a rumored target.  Young targets, need an experienced OC.  
Makes no difference the first move is to complain.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

i wanted a guy with experience and we had one. yes 2 years is experience. i dont blame MLF, i blame the QBs and all the injuries to the offense. if you switch those injuries to the defense they would have sucked and Ulbrich would have been fired and MLF would still be here. but you guys had to have your pound of flesh for that losing streak. 

i would love to see what MLF could do with a QB who wasnt the worst in the NFL and without an offense that took so much injuries we had a few PS guys playing. actually i will see him call plays again, just not for the Jets.

33 minutes ago, doitny said:

i wanted a guy with experience and we had one. yes 2 years is experience. i dont blame MLF, i blame the QBs and all the injuries to the offense. if you switch those injuries to the defense they would have sucked and Ulbrich would have been fired and MLF would still be here. but you guys had to have your pound of flesh for that losing streak. 

i would love to see what MLF could do with a QB who wasnt the worst in the NFL and without an offense that took so much injuries we had a few PS guys playing. actually i will see him call plays again, just not for the Jets.

He won’t be calling plays with the Rams. He will likely have nothing to do with game management at all. He is a terrible play caller and the Rams didn’t hire him for that. 

I understand why the Jets hired Hackett even if I rather him not be the OC. They had their eyes on him for a while and his personality, communication, experience, and background with QBs was exactly what the Jets were looking to add to the offense. At the very least, he’s going to help improve the culture and ease the tension on that side of the ball. They originally considered him for more of a specialized, “senior advisor” role and I think adding him and another more experienced QB coach to work with LaFleur would’ve been a great result, but hard to ignore how toxic that could’ve become. For that reason, Brian Johnson + Hackett would’ve been my top scenario personally given that Johnson has the experience as a coordinator and playcaller albeit in college as well as a proven track record developing young QBs.

All being said, I can’t help but recognize the timing of the Jets (and Hackett’s) decision. (1) I think the Jets didn’t feel good about waiting around on some of the other candidates; and (2) they wanted to get out in front and be the first team to hire a coordinator to get the attention of a certain someone currently weighing a major decision.

I don’t think the Jets hired him solely due to Rodgers (even if so they would never admit it), but I think that they have rationalized hiring Hackett gives them a much better chance at landing him being that he and the Packers are openly on the fence. I also think that all the QBs they are interested in are WCO guys, so they will appreciate Hackett’s reputation even if Rodgers himself doesn’t come here (such is the case with Zach). In my eyes it’s a suspect hire if they don’t land one of the top QBs, but if they land Rodgers because of it it’s possibly the best hire we ever made.

• Upvote 1

Fact is like most professions, OCs fall along a bell curve. 80% are made or unmade by who they have behind center. 20% stink and 20% can transcend below average QB play.

Odds are Hackett is one of the 80% and whether we like him or not will be determined by who is behind center.

• Upvote 1