TP: League sources dish on ZW, Jet coaching moves at Shrine Bowl

League Sources Dish on Zach Wilson, Jets’ Coaching Moves, and More

January 28, 2023

At the Shrine Bowl in Las Vegas, league sources dished on the Jets' quarterback situation, their recent coaching moves, and more. 

LAS VEGAS — The long offseason for the New York Jets is underway after the team collapsed, losing seven of their final eight games to miss the playoffs. Here at Shrine Bowl practices, there has been plenty of news and opinions on the Jets’ recent moves and the state of the franchise.Will the Jets Move 

Even before arriving in Las Vegas for Shrine Bowl practice, Pro Football Network heard that players were urging Jets general manager Joe Douglas to move on from offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur and QB Zach Wilson during exit interviews at the end of the season before the Jets officially moved on from the offensive coordinator.

Several players were critical of LaFleur’s game planning and inability to make halftime adjustments. When it comes to Wilson, several players said the second pick of the 2021 NFL Draft is not the quarterback to lead the franchise moving forward — they feel the team should stick with Mike White or trade for a veteran.

Here in Vegas, league sources say that the Jets front office is ready to move on from Wilson and trade for a veteran, but owner Woody Johnson believes the former BYU quarterback can be salvaged. We’re told Johnson, whose been fully engaged in the Jets’ decision-making the past few weeks, believes Wilson is still an arm talent that should not be discarded.

MORE: Latest Draft Buzz on QBs from Shrine Bowl in Las Vegas

Sources here in Vegas also tell PFN the Jets have said in conversations they will make a move for one of three veterans: Derek Carr, Jimmy Garappolo, or, yes — Aaron Rodgers. It is interesting that Rodgers is the only quarterback of the three who does not have a no-trade clause in his contract, though the belief is there’s a gentlemen’s agreement he’ll have a say where he’ll be sent when the Packers trade him.

League insiders here in Vegas were not complimentary of the recent moves by the New York Jets, specifically the hiring of offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackettand offensive line coach Keith Carter. Some were extremely harsh on the hiring of Carter, and as one source told PFN on Saturday, it seems as if the Jets have a “death wish” with the hiring of both.

There is some good news, though. Jets offensive tackle Mehki Becton is training hard this offseason and tipping the scales under 370 pounds — about 40 pounds lighter than he was one year ago.

Becton has moved on from offensive line trainer Duke Mayweather and is training in New Jersey at the Parisi facility, which has helped his conditioning. With new coaches leading the Jets’ offense, the hope is Becton can get back to where he was as a rookie in 2020 when he had a terrific season at left tackle.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 2
  • Sympathy 1

I literally could not think of a less legitimate "insider" than Tony the Wiz. He has no sources and just throw sh*t at the wall year after year. This is why he is a second rate NFL talking head. Maybe the guys who write for fansided and say they write for SI like Dov whatever his name is.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

Interesting take about Carter.  Tennessee OL stunk this year with massive injury issues but I always thought they were a good unit under him the previous years

Idk if he’s saying it’s death wish with the two of them together? Or just that they are both bad individually? 

Im guessing the former. Since Hackett is known as a buddy buddy teacher while Carter is a brash, in your face type. 

3 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Side story that will be ignored in this article is that Becton moved on from Duke and is now at Parisi Speed School. Worked there a bunch of times myself - don’t be surprised if he comes back in monster shape

Agreed. My son did so years ago and it was a tremendous help .

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Interesting take about Carter.  Tennessee OL stunk this year with massive injury issues but I always thought they were a good unit under him the previous years

Agree...sounds like a bunch of BS. According to Schefter or Rap, 4 other team were interested in him. Henry had 2-3 monster years...he wasn't blocking for himself. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

There is some good news, though. Jets offensive tackle Mehki Becton is training hard this offseason and tipping the scales under 370 pounds — about 40 pounds lighter than he was one year ago.

Becton has moved on from offensive line trainer Duke Mayweather and is training in New Jersey at the Parisi facility, which has helped his conditioning. With new coaches leading the Jets’ offense, the hope is Becton can get back to where he was as a rookie in 2020 when he had a terrific season at left tackle.

We can only hope. If MB can be comeback player of the year (at least for the Jets) that would be huge.  Sounds like Duke was a 'yes man'. That he's under 370 as opposed to over 400 would be huge not just as a sign of work ethic, but for any injury recovery.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Honestly it's a best of both parties for ZW to go somewhere else. It's not like his trade value is going to go up as a backup (Unless he is going to be the starter next season, which means it will probably go down), the players want him gone, and Zach himself probably wants to get out of the organization too. I think he can have success, just probably not on the Jets. He needs a reset and the Jets need a different QB.

Edit: I may have forgotten about cap hit. Wonder how that plays into it.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

We can only hope. If MB can be comeback player of the year (at least for the Jets) that would be huge.  Sounds like Duke was a 'yes man'. That he's under 370 as opposed to over 400 would be huge not just as a sign of work ethic, but for any injury recovery.

It's a good sign, and I'm pulling for Becton.  But, those knees.

The Jets should "pencil him in" at OT4 when training camp starts.  The Jets need at least two new starting quality OT this offseason, probably one in FA and one early in the draft.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Side story that will be ignored in this article is that Becton moved on from Duke and is now at Parisi Speed School. Worked there a bunch of times myself - don’t be surprised if he comes back in monster shape

Parisi is a good center.

Woody being attached to a QB with nothing between his ears with arm-strength is moronic.  It’s classic Woody and evidence that he was pushing for that pick and more reason why coaches will not want to deal with this team. 

Hackett was the only OC with experience willing to take this job.  He did it to work with Rodgers again to reboot himself whole still being paid by the Broncos.   The jets at most gave him a two year daal, maybe one 

• Upvote 2

according to reports,

August Woody thought Zach was behind Flacco and White, December Woody wasn’t a fan of his, now January woody wants to salvage him. sounds about right for our guy lol.  

Hopefully JD listens to the players in the exit interviews that were honest about it and they don’t want him. However they do it they just have to move forward without him.  

• Upvote 3

It's interesting that Becton talked about the training staff the Jets employ. I have that on my non-contact wish list too. Change the training staff because something ain't working and the team keeps being devastated by injuries and number 2 on my list is the turf should be scrapped and gone back to natural grass. I mean it's not like it was in the 60's 70's and 80's the team rarely plays in freezing cold weather at home unlike the oldie  golden days

40 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Nah Becton is a wasted draft pick fat slob who will never amount to anything - or at least that's what i've been told ad nauseum here. 

• Upvote 1

A total bunch of nonsense. This is not PAUL Hackett. Everyone has Hackett'itis. Its Nate Hackett, his son. Besides being Father and Son, one has nothing to do with the other in terms of offensive play calling / scheming ability. And the OL coach got raves and most said we made a great hire. This OL needs someone in their face as Coach Salesman would never do that. The whole offensive CS needed a face lift and geting someone in there faces is a GREAT thing.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

No no NO NO NO! I never want to see Zach Wilson playing QB ever again for the New York Jets! NO!

Okay, okay! :-)

Really, the best thing for the Jets and ZW would be to trade him.  I'm not sure what the cap hit would be for that vs. releasing him, and Rogers will affect the cap, too, so how much space can the Jets afford when the OL needs at least 2 (and possibly 3) new starters?

So, if the Jets trade for Rogers and keep ZW b/c of cap reasons, I'm fine with that. 

53 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

I literally could not think of a less legitimate "insider" than Tony the Wiz. He has no sources and just throw sh*t at the wall year after year. This is why he is a second rate NFL talking head. Maybe the guys who write for fansided and say they write for SI like Dov whatever his name is.

Article is by Tony Pauline, not Tony the Wiz.  Different people!

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

Nah Becton is a wasted draft pick fat slob who will never amount to anything - or at least that's what i've been told ad nauseum here. 

Totally agree with wasted draft pick and bust. We hear this absolute nonsense about Becton getting in shape, working hard, blah blah blah from the Florham Park Cult every season, and every season, he is injured on the way to Golden Corral. I wish they would all just STFU and show us on the field of play. So sick of listening to them talk. For me, its been 54 years of talk and zero results.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, section314 said:

Agree...sounds like a bunch of BS. According to Schefter or Rap, 4 other team were interested in him. Henry had 2-3 monster years...he wasn't blocking for himself. 

and that's the part of Pauline's article that just refers to some random, unnamed "league sources".  As always, dubious at best.  You never know whether these are exaggerations or worse,  just TP posting up his own opinion that he assumes to be true.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Totally agree with wasted draft pick and bust. We hear this absolute nonsense about Becton getting in shape, working hard, blah blah blah from the Florham Park Cult every season, and every season, he is injured on the way to Golden Corral. I wish they would all just STFU and show us on the field of play. So sick of listening to them talk. For me, its been 54 years of talk and zero results.

I was actually being sarcastic. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Carter was too mean to his players and vets and expected them to work hard all the time by what Taylor Lewan said.

As for the Hackett hire insiders are correct, terrible hire.

Who are these "insiders" other than Tony Pauline?  If a deal is in place for Rodgers, a real possibility, then Hackett will do.  If we are not starting Rodgers, Carr or even Garoppolo, the entire front office will be gone 1 year from now anyway.  So, IMO, somethings up, in the works or even ready... just waiting for the appropriate NFL time to announce.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

A total bunch of nonsense. This is not PAUL Hackett. Everyone has Hackett'itis. Its Nate Hackett, his son. Besides being Father and Son, one has nothing to do with the other in terms of offensive play calling / scheming ability. And the OL coach got raves and most said we made a great hire. This OL needs someone in their face as Coach Salesman would never do that. The whole offensive CS needed a face lift and geting someone in there faces is a GREAT thing.

Didn’t we just let our OC go because his demeanor rubbed the Zach and the WRs the wrong way?